Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 AM
michaelsherlock's Avatar
michaelsherlock michaelsherlock is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: CXVI
Default Jesus and the Number 14

Many people are aware that there exists a contradiction between “Luke’s” genealogy of Jesus and “Matthew’s”. Whilst “Matthew” records "42" generations from Jesus back to Abraham, (see "Matthew" 1:2-16 Vs “Luke” 3:23-38), “Luke” says there were 57 and many of these ancestors were different people. ("Luke" 3:23-38). Before getting to the contradiction which forms the basis of this Post, we should also be aware that “Luke’s” genealogy of Jesus is also in contradiction with 1 Chronicles 3:16-19 and "Matthew's" is also in contradiction with 1 Chronicles 3:9-15 (which lists 18 generations from David to Babylonian Exile, not 14 as "Matthew" errantly claimed).

At “Matthew” 1:17, the pseudonymous author asserts:

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.

Now, if we were to take him/her at their word, that every 14 generations, some big event takes place which alters the course of the nation of Israel, we might be led to believe that there is some divine plan behind this nation’s history, but why every 14 generations? What is, or was, significant about the number 14?

It could be that the number 14 numerologically represents the doubling of the “holy” 7, which frequently occurs throughout both the OT and NT, not to mention more ancient “Pagan” religions and philosophies and forms the basis of the septenary (7 primary planets), from which we derive our days of the week.

In the words of Aristotle:

Since the number 7 neither generates nor is generated by any of the numbers in the decade, for this reason they also said that it was Athene. For the number 2 generates 4, 3 generates 9 and 6, 4 generates 8, and 5 generates 10, and 4, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are generated, but 7 neither generates any number nor is generated from any; and so too Athene was motherless and ever virgin. (1)

Or, it could be something more relevant to Hebrew and the “history” of Israel. Looking to the Hebrew language, we may find a probable answer to this riddle. Hebrew is an alpha-numeric language, meaning that the letters double as numbers, each letter carrying a specific numeric equivalent or value.



1= 1 א ALEPH
2= 2 ב BETH
3= 3 ג GIMEL
4= 4 ד DALET
5= 5 ה HE
6= 6 ו VAV
7= 7 ז ZAYIN
8= 8 ח HET
9= 9 ט TET
10= 10 י YOD
11= 20 כ KAF
12= 30 ל LAMED
13= 40 מ MEM
14= 50 נ NUN
15= 60 ס SAMEKH
16= 70 ע AYIN
17= 80 פ PE
18= 90 צ TSADI
19= 100 ק QOF
20= 200 ר RESH
21= 300 ש SHIN
22= 400 ת TAV
(2)

Further, if we take two other factors into consideration, we may get a clearer picture of the intentions of the pseudonymous author of “Matthew.”

(1) Hebrew did not use vowels in its manuscripts, so to give you an example, the name for one of their tribal gods, Yahweh, who henotheisticially became the sole god, into which the others were incorporated, appears in the Hebrew texts as, YHWH, with the vowels (AEIOU) omitted.

(2) The second being that the messiah was supposed to be descended from the House of David. (see; Isaiah 9:5-7, Psalms 89:3-4, 132:11 Jeremiah 23:5-6) The name David, in the Hebrew texts appears without vowels as ‘DVD’ or Dalet, Vav, Dalet. If you consult the chart I have supplied above and add together the value of David’s name, you will see that Dalet has a value of 4 and Vav, 6, giving a total of 14.

The pseudonymous author of “Matthew,” who seems to have been the most traditional out of the other 2 synoptic authors and the more Gnostic/Hellenistic “John”, in some regards, may have been attempting to allude to the fact that Jesus was the thrice great (see Hermes Trismegistus for a comparison, re: thrice great and numerological significance of 3) David, the divinely appointed messiah (3) from the House of David (14), so he made Jesus’ birth come after 3 lots of 14 generations.

With regards to this possibility, nay probability, Professor of New Testament Studies, Bart D Ehrman, said:

Also, in ancient Hebrew no vowels were used. So the name David was spelled D-V-D. In Hebrew, the letter D (daleth) is the number 4 and the V (waw) is 6. If you add up the letters of David’s name, it equals 14. That may be why Matthew wanted there to be three groups of precisely fourteen generations in the genealogy of the son of David, the Messiah, Jesus.
Unfortunately, to make the numbers work he had to leave out some names. I might also point out that if Matthew was right in his fourteen-fourteen-fourteen schema, there would be forty-two names between Abraham and Jesus.(
3)



Here is where we get to the error made by “Matthew”. Remember, in chapter 1 verse 17 he asserted, 3 generations of 14, now I will leave you with his own version of the genealogy of Jesus and see if you can spot the mistake:


1. Abraham begat
2. Isaac;
3. Jacob;
4. Judas
5. Phares and Zara
6. Esrom;
7. Aram;
8. Aminadab
9. Naasson
10. Salmon;
11. Booz
12. Obed
13. Jesse;
14. David the king

1. Solomon
2. Roboam
3. Abia
4. Asa;
5. Josaphat
6. Joram
7. Ozias;
8. Joatham
9. Achaz
10. Ezekias;
11. Manasses;
12. Amon
13. Josias
14. Jechonias

1. Salathiel
2. Zorobabel
3. Abiud
4. Eliakim
5. Azor
6. Sadoc
7. Achim
8. Eliud
9. Eleazar
10. Matthan
11. Jacob
12. Joseph
13. Jesus
Matthew 1:2-16


1. Jonathon Barnes & Gavin Lawrence. The Complete Works of Aristotle. Vol. 2. Fragments. Princeton University Press, (1984), Pg. 71.

2. The Hebrew Numbering System

3. Bart D Ehrman. Jesus Interrupted. Harper Collins (2005) Pg. 38
__________________
You can always trust a person in search of the truth, but never the one who has found it. Manly P. Hall
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
B.O.F. with 0 credibility.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: MXCCCLIII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsherlock View Post
Many people are aware that there exists a contradiction between “Luke’s” genealogy of Jesus and “Matthew’s”. Whilst “Matthew” records "42" generations from Jesus back to Abraham, (see "Matthew" 1:2-16 Vs “Luke” 3:23-38), “Luke” says there were 57 and many of these ancestors were different people. ("Luke" 3:23-38). Before getting to the contradiction which forms the basis of this Post, we should also be aware that “Luke’s” genealogy of Jesus is also in contradiction with 1 Chronicles 3:16-19 and "Matthew's" is also in contradiction with 1 Chronicles 3:9-15 (which lists 18 generations from David to Babylonian Exile, not 14 as "Matthew" errantly claimed).

At “Matthew” 1:17, the pseudonymous author asserts:

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.

Now, if we were to take him/her at their word, that every 14 generations, some big event takes place which alters the course of the nation of Israel, we might be led to believe that there is some divine plan behind this nation’s history, but why every 14 generations? What is, or was, significant about the number 14?

It could be that the number 14 numerologically represents the doubling of the “holy” 7, which frequently occurs throughout both the OT and NT, not to mention more ancient “Pagan” religions and philosophies and forms the basis of the septenary (7 primary planets), from which we derive our days of the week.

In the words of Aristotle:

Since the number 7 neither generates nor is generated by any of the numbers in the decade, for this reason they also said that it was Athene. For the number 2 generates 4, 3 generates 9 and 6, 4 generates 8, and 5 generates 10, and 4, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are generated, but 7 neither generates any number nor is generated from any; and so too Athene was motherless and ever virgin. (1)

Or, it could be something more relevant to Hebrew and the “history” of Israel. Looking to the Hebrew language, we may find a probable answer to this riddle. Hebrew is an alpha-numeric language, meaning that the letters double as numbers, each letter carrying a specific numeric equivalent or value.



1= 1 א ALEPH
2= 2 ב BETH
3= 3 ג GIMEL
4= 4 ד DALET
5= 5 ה HE
6= 6 ו VAV
7= 7 ז ZAYIN
8= 8 ח HET
9= 9 ט TET
10= 10 י YOD
11= 20 כ KAF
12= 30 ל LAMED
13= 40 מ MEM
14= 50 נ NUN
15= 60 ס SAMEKH
16= 70 ע AYIN
17= 80 פ PE
18= 90 צ TSADI
19= 100 ק QOF
20= 200 ר RESH
21= 300 ש SHIN
22= 400 ת TAV
(2)

Further, if we take two other factors into consideration, we may get a clearer picture of the intentions of the pseudonymous author of “Matthew.”

(1) Hebrew did not use vowels in its manuscripts, so to give you an example, the name for one of their tribal gods, Yahweh, who henotheisticially became the sole god, into which the others were incorporated, appears in the Hebrew texts as, YHWH, with the vowels (AEIOU) omitted.

(2) The second being that the messiah was supposed to be descended from the House of David. (see; Isaiah 9:5-7, Psalms 89:3-4, 132:11 Jeremiah 23:5-6) The name David, in the Hebrew texts appears without vowels as ‘DVD’ or Dalet, Vav, Dalet. If you consult the chart I have supplied above and add together the value of David’s name, you will see that Dalet has a value of 4 and Vav, 6, giving a total of 14.

The pseudonymous author of “Matthew,” who seems to have been the most traditional out of the other 2 synoptic authors and the more Gnostic/Hellenistic “John”, in some regards, may have been attempting to allude to the fact that Jesus was the thrice great (see Hermes Trismegistus for a comparison, re: thrice great and numerological significance of 3) David, the divinely appointed messiah (3) from the House of David (14), so he made Jesus’ birth come after 3 lots of 14 generations.

With regards to this possibility, nay probability, Professor of New Testament Studies, Bart D Ehrman, said:

Also, in ancient Hebrew no vowels were used. So the name David was spelled D-V-D. In Hebrew, the letter D (daleth) is the number 4 and the V (waw) is 6. If you add up the letters of David’s name, it equals 14. That may be why Matthew wanted there to be three groups of precisely fourteen generations in the genealogy of the son of David, the Messiah, Jesus.
Unfortunately, to make the numbers work he had to leave out some names. I might also point out that if Matthew was right in his fourteen-fourteen-fourteen schema, there would be forty-two names between Abraham and Jesus.(3)



Here is where we get to the error made by “Matthew”. Remember, in chapter 1 verse 17 he asserted, 3 generations of 14, now I will leave you with his own version of the genealogy of Jesus and see if you can spot the mistake:


1. Abraham begat
2. Isaac;
3. Jacob;
4. Judas
5. Phares and Zara
6. Esrom;
7. Aram;
8. Aminadab
9. Naasson
10. Salmon;
11. Booz
12. Obed
13. Jesse;
14. David the king

1. Solomon
2. Roboam
3. Abia
4. Asa;
5. Josaphat
6. Joram
7. Ozias;
8. Joatham
9. Achaz
10. Ezekias;
11. Manasses;
12. Amon
13. Josias
14. Jechonias

1. Salathiel
2. Zorobabel
3. Abiud
4. Eliakim
5. Azor
6. Sadoc
7. Achim
8. Eliud
9. Eleazar
10. Matthan
11. Jacob
12. Joseph
13. Jesus
Matthew 1:2-16


1. Jonathon Barnes & Gavin Lawrence. The Complete Works of Aristotle. Vol. 2. Fragments. Princeton University Press, (1984), Pg. 71.

2. The Hebrew Numbering System

3. Bart D Ehrman. Jesus Interrupted. Harper Collins (2005) Pg. 38

3 groups of 14 comes to 42 which seems to be important in other traditions as well. There are 42 beads on a Rosary. In ancient Egypt the deceased would recite negative confessions to 42 subservient Gods before comeing before Osiris for the weighing of the heart. (1) 42 is also the answer to the really big question of 'Life, the Universe and everything'. (2) In how many other traditions is this number important?

1. Egyptian Ideas of the Afterlife - E.A. Wallis Budge

2. The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:39 PM
michaelsherlock's Avatar
michaelsherlock michaelsherlock is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: CXVI
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsherlock View Post
Many people are aware that there exists a contradiction between “Luke’s” genealogy of Jesus and “Matthew’s”. Whilst “Matthew” records "42" generations from Jesus back to Abraham, (see "Matthew" 1:2-16 Vs “Luke” 3:23-38), “Luke” says there were 57 and many of these ancestors were different people. ("Luke" 3:23-38). Before getting to the contradiction which forms the basis of this Post, we should also be aware that “Luke’s” genealogy of Jesus is also in contradiction with 1 Chronicles 3:16-19 and "Matthew's" is also in contradiction with 1 Chronicles 3:9-15 (which lists 18 generations from David to Babylonian Exile, not 14 as "Matthew" errantly claimed).

At “Matthew” 1:17, the pseudonymous author asserts:

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.

Now, if we were to take him/her at their word, that every 14 generations, some big event takes place which alters the course of the nation of Israel, we might be led to believe that there is some divine plan behind this nation’s history, but why every 14 generations? What is, or was, significant about the number 14?

It could be that the number 14 numerologically represents the doubling of the “holy” 7, which frequently occurs throughout both the OT and NT, not to mention more ancient “Pagan” religions and philosophies and forms the basis of the septenary (7 primary planets), from which we derive our days of the week.

In the words of Aristotle:

Since the number 7 neither generates nor is generated by any of the numbers in the decade, for this reason they also said that it was Athene. For the number 2 generates 4, 3 generates 9 and 6, 4 generates 8, and 5 generates 10, and 4, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are generated, but 7 neither generates any number nor is generated from any; and so too Athene was motherless and ever virgin. (1)

Or, it could be something more relevant to Hebrew and the “history” of Israel. Looking to the Hebrew language, we may find a probable answer to this riddle. Hebrew is an alpha-numeric language, meaning that the letters double as numbers, each letter carrying a specific numeric equivalent or value.



1= 1 א ALEPH
2= 2 ב BETH
3= 3 ג GIMEL
4= 4 ד DALET
5= 5 ה HE
6= 6 ו VAV
7= 7 ז ZAYIN
8= 8 ח HET
9= 9 ט TET
10= 10 י YOD
11= 20 כ KAF
12= 30 ל LAMED
13= 40 מ MEM
14= 50 נ NUN
15= 60 ס SAMEKH
16= 70 ע AYIN
17= 80 פ PE
18= 90 צ TSADI
19= 100 ק QOF
20= 200 ר RESH
21= 300 ש SHIN
22= 400 ת TAV
(2)

Further, if we take two other factors into consideration, we may get a clearer picture of the intentions of the pseudonymous author of “Matthew.”

(1) Hebrew did not use vowels in its manuscripts, so to give you an example, the name for one of their tribal gods, Yahweh, who henotheisticially became the sole god, into which the others were incorporated, appears in the Hebrew texts as, YHWH, with the vowels (AEIOU) omitted.

(2) The second being that the messiah was supposed to be descended from the House of David. (see; Isaiah 9:5-7, Psalms 89:3-4, 132:11 Jeremiah 23:5-6) The name David, in the Hebrew texts appears without vowels as ‘DVD’ or Dalet, Vav, Dalet. If you consult the chart I have supplied above and add together the value of David’s name, you will see that Dalet has a value of 4 and Vav, 6, giving a total of 14.

The pseudonymous author of “Matthew,” who seems to have been the most traditional out of the other 2 synoptic authors and the more Gnostic/Hellenistic “John”, in some regards, may have been attempting to allude to the fact that Jesus was the thrice great (see Hermes Trismegistus for a comparison, re: thrice great and numerological significance of 3) David, the divinely appointed messiah (3) from the House of David (14), so he made Jesus’ birth come after 3 lots of 14 generations.

With regards to this possibility, nay probability, Professor of New Testament Studies, Bart D Ehrman, said:

Also, in ancient Hebrew no vowels were used. So the name David was spelled D-V-D. In Hebrew, the letter D (daleth) is the number 4 and the V (waw) is 6. If you add up the letters of David’s name, it equals 14. That may be why Matthew wanted there to be three groups of precisely fourteen generations in the genealogy of the son of David, the Messiah, Jesus.
Unfortunately, to make the numbers work he had to leave out some names. I might also point out that if Matthew was right in his fourteen-fourteen-fourteen schema, there would be forty-two names between Abraham and Jesus.(3)



Here is where we get to the error made by “Matthew”. Remember, in chapter 1 verse 17 he asserted, 3 generations of 14, now I will leave you with his own version of the genealogy of Jesus and see if you can spot the mistake:


1. Abraham begat
2. Isaac;
3. Jacob;
4. Judas
5. Phares and Zara
6. Esrom;
7. Aram;
8. Aminadab
9. Naasson
10. Salmon;
11. Booz
12. Obed
13. Jesse;
14. David the king

1. Solomon
2. Roboam
3. Abia
4. Asa;
5. Josaphat
6. Joram
7. Ozias;
8. Joatham
9. Achaz
10. Ezekias;
11. Manasses;
12. Amon
13. Josias
14. Jechonias

1. Salathiel
2. Zorobabel
3. Abiud
4. Eliakim
5. Azor
6. Sadoc
7. Achim
8. Eliud
9. Eleazar
10. Matthan
11. Jacob
12. Joseph
13. Jesus
Matthew 1:2-16


1. Jonathon Barnes & Gavin Lawrence. The Complete Works of Aristotle. Vol. 2. Fragments. Princeton University Press, (1984), Pg. 71.

2. The Hebrew Numbering System

3. Bart D Ehrman. Jesus Interrupted. Harper Collins (2005) Pg. 38

3 groups of 14 comes to 42 which seems to be important in other traditions as well. There are 42 beads on a Rosary. In ancient Egypt the deceased would recite negative confessions to 42 subservient Gods before comeing before Osiris for the weighing of the heart. (1) 42 is also the answer to the really big question of 'Life, the Universe and everything'. (2) In how many other traditions is this number important?

1. Egyptian Ideas of the Afterlife - E.A. Wallis Budge

2. The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Excellent, yes and the number 14 appears in the Osiris myth, with regards to his body being broken into 14 pieces, but do not know if this is relevant. What do you think?
__________________
You can always trust a person in search of the truth, but never the one who has found it. Manly P. Hall
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
LadyShea's Avatar
LadyShea LadyShea is offline
I said it, so I feel it, dick
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Posts: XXXCCCXXXVI
Images: 58
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

The number 14 is also important to white nationalists
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM
ceptimus's Avatar
ceptimus ceptimus is offline
puzzler
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK
Posts: XMMCCCIV
Images: 28
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

There are, according to Christians, 14 stations of the cross.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
B.O.F. with 0 credibility.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: MXCCCLIII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsherlock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post

3 groups of 14 comes to 42 which seems to be important in other traditions as well. There are 42 beads on a Rosary. In ancient Egypt the deceased would recite negative confessions to 42 subservient Gods before comeing before Osiris for the weighing of the heart. (1) 42 is also the answer to the really big question of 'Life, the Universe and everything'. (2) In how many other traditions is this number important?

1. Egyptian Ideas of the Afterlife - E.A. Wallis Budge

2. The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Excellent, yes and the number 14 appears in the Osiris myth, with regards to his body being broken into 14 pieces, but do not know if this is relevant. What do you think?

Jesus and the Hebrews were in Egypt, Jesus during his childhood and the Hebrews during the period of slavery till the Exodus. This Mythology could have easily been absorbed into the Jewish mythology along with the mythology from Babylon and other ancient sources. I was just looking at Hammurabi's code of 282 laws but couldn't find a direct link, but the article mentioned that Hammurabi ruled for '42' years? I think all of the ancient Mythology is relevant, interconnected, borrowed, re-intrepreted. Joseph Campbell states in 'Thou Art That', and probably other places, that all mythology has a common source, all contain the same stories, therefore all religion is based on the same source mythology. Certainly the numbers 7, 14, 42, and many others are important and carry much symbolic meaning, but the church needs to shut up and quit telling everyone what they should believe. Each person must find their own meaning, or not. I think Douglas Adams knew more than given credit for, the answer '42' is meaningful, but only if you know what the exact question really is.

I almost forgot to mention, Hammurabi's name has 'rabi' at the end, could this be a short version of 'Rabbi' from the Jewish, or preceding it.

Last edited by thedoc; 04-08-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Stephen Maturin's Avatar
Stephen Maturin Stephen Maturin is offline
A raving lunatic and a great big horse's ass
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Juggalonia
Posts: MVCCCLXVII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
The number 14 is also important to white nationalists
Excellent, yes and the number 14 appears in the Fourteen Words, and with regards to the Freedom 14 organization, but do not know if this is relevant. What do you think?
__________________
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis D. Brandeis

"people should NOT be required to work in order to have a wage" ~ AynMisesLibertarian
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (04-08-2012), LadyShea (04-08-2012), Nullifidian (04-08-2012)
  #8  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Ymir's blood's Avatar
Ymir's blood Ymir's blood is offline
Coffin Creep
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The nightmare realm
Posts: XXVCCLXX
Images: 67
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Woodrow Wilson famously had Fourteen Points and he was a racist, also.
__________________
Much of MADNESS, and more of SIN, and HORROR the soul of the plot.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (04-08-2012), Qingdai (04-08-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-08-2012)
  #9  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
B.O.F. with 0 credibility.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: MXCCCLIII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Well if you exclude the cue ball and the 8 ball there are 14 other balls on the table, so it must be relevant
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Clutch Munny's Avatar
Clutch Munny Clutch Munny is offline
Clutchenheimer
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: VMMMXVII
Images: 1
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Two sets of dwarfs. Coincidence?
__________________
This is the earth. And this is Pinky. You can tell the difference quite easily. One is a lump of inert matter hurtling blindly through the void. The other is the earth.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Legs (04-20-2012), Nullifidian (04-08-2012), Pan Narrans (04-08-2012), Qingdai (04-08-2012), Sock Puppet (04-09-2012), SR71 (04-08-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-08-2012), Ymir's blood (04-08-2012)
  #11  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 AM
naturalist.atheist naturalist.atheist is offline
Reality Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: VMDCCLXXVII
Images: 7
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Also 14 base 8 is 12 base 10. And there are 12 months in a year, 2 X 12 hours in a day. There were 12 apostles, and twelve is the product of three which is the perfectly divine and heavenly number since there are four threes in twelve. Four + three is seven which is the lucky number. Half of twelve is 6 and three sixes is 666 which is the sign of the devil. And 6.66 is how much gas I bought at the pump today. So yes, 14 is important.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Pan Narrans (04-08-2012), SR71 (04-08-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-08-2012), Vivisectus (04-08-2012)
  #12  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
B.O.F. with 0 credibility.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: MXCCCLIII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
Two sets of dwarfs. Coincidence?

Probably not. It all comes from the same mythology.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Stephen Maturin's Avatar
Stephen Maturin Stephen Maturin is offline
A raving lunatic and a great big horse's ass
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Juggalonia
Posts: MVCCCLXVII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
Woodrow Wilson famously had Fourteen Points and he was a racist, also.
Exactly, which is why history recalls them as the Fourteen Points of RACISM.

Also, 9 + 5 = 14. The letter H, which is essential to the racist greeting "Heil Hitler," is the eighth letter of the alphabet. 14 x 8 = 112. Combining the 9 and 5 we used to get 14 and the 112 we obtained by multiplying 14 by the sacred number 8 gives us 95112, which of course is a ZIP CODE FOR SAN JOSE.

If that doesn't establish the primacy of 14, what could?
__________________
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis D. Brandeis

"people should NOT be required to work in order to have a wage" ~ AynMisesLibertarian
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
But (04-08-2012), Crumb (04-09-2012), LadyShea (04-08-2012), livius drusus (04-08-2012), Nullifidian (04-08-2012), Qingdai (04-08-2012), Sock Puppet (04-09-2012), SR71 (04-08-2012), Ymir's blood (04-08-2012)
  #14  
Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
B.O.F. with 0 credibility.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: MXCCCLIII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
gives us 95112, which of course is a ZIP CODE FOR SAN JOSE.
If that doesn't establish the primacy of 14, what could?
I didn't watch 'Lost'.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 AM
naturalist.atheist naturalist.atheist is offline
Reality Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: VMDCCLXXVII
Images: 7
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
gives us 95112, which of course is a ZIP CODE FOR SAN JOSE.
If that doesn't establish the primacy of 14, what could?
I didn't watch 'Lost'.
Lost was just the prequel to Dante's Inferno.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:05 AM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
B.O.F. with 0 credibility.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: MXCCCLIII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
gives us 95112, which of course is a ZIP CODE FOR SAN JOSE.
If that doesn't establish the primacy of 14, what could?
I didn't watch 'Lost'.
Lost was just the prequel to Dante's Inferno.

Who won?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:34 AM
chunksmediocrites's Avatar
chunksmediocrites chunksmediocrites is offline
ne plus ultraviolet
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland Oregon USA
Gender: Male
Posts: MVDLXXIX
Images: 290
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Speaking of Jesus, I had a coworker today have a discussion with myself and another about his irritation regarding Stupid Easter. And, he continued, what is this whole Passover thing about, anyway? And those Jews sure are elitist, and think stupid things.

Turned out in the course of the conversation that he did not know the following:
1. That Christianity starts from after Jesus.
2. That Judaism preceded Christianity and that Christ was Jewish.
3. That Jewish people actually had more bad times than just the Jewish Holocaust.
4. Any fucking thing about anything.

I said, "What I hear you saying is that you are profoundly, if not totally ignorant of the subject at hand, that subject that you have, however, developed very strong conclusions about. Do you see that?"

I can understand not knowing a lot about Christianity or Judaism, especially as he had no religious training or upbringing; I myself when I was about 14 had to ask- when it came up in a conversation- who Pontius Pilate was, because I plain did not know.

My coworker is almost 50. Though in his defense he's emotionally about 14.

He asked me one day, "This is going to sound like a dumb question, but do vampires really exist?"
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (04-13-2012), Clutch Munny (04-08-2012), Crumb (04-09-2012), Gonzo (04-11-2012), Kael (04-16-2012), Kyuss Apollo (04-09-2012), LadyShea (04-08-2012), livius drusus (04-08-2012), Nullifidian (04-08-2012), Pan Narrans (04-08-2012), Qingdai (04-08-2012), Sock Puppet (04-09-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-08-2012), Watser? (04-08-2012), wildernesse (04-08-2012), Ymir's blood (04-08-2012)
  #18  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 AM
livius drusus's Avatar
livius drusus livius drusus is offline
Admin of white Borts, red Borts and Borts of various colours
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: LMVCCCXIX
Images: 5
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

:lol: It must be a challenge for you not to tell him the most outlandish bullshit you can think of.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (04-13-2012), Crumb (04-09-2012), Kael (04-16-2012), LadyShea (04-08-2012), maddog (04-08-2012), Nullifidian (04-08-2012), Qingdai (04-08-2012), Sock Puppet (04-09-2012), Watser? (04-08-2012), wildernesse (04-08-2012)
  #19  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 AM
naturalist.atheist naturalist.atheist is offline
Reality Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: VMDCCLXXVII
Images: 7
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
gives us 95112, which of course is a ZIP CODE FOR SAN JOSE.
If that doesn't establish the primacy of 14, what could?
I didn't watch 'Lost'.
Lost was just the prequel to Dante's Inferno.

Who won?
Which version, the original by Dante or Larry Niven's version?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Qingdai's Avatar
Qingdai Qingdai is offline
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Gender: Female
Posts: XMVDCCXCIX
Images: 155
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
:lol: It must be a challenge for you not to tell him the most outlandish bullshit you can think of.

Basically, I live for moments like this. Have chunks tell you how we convinced the most gullible person that we met fighting sailors on the docks for kicks.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (04-13-2012), LadyShea (04-12-2012), livius drusus (04-08-2012), Nullifidian (04-08-2012), Pan Narrans (04-08-2012), Stephen Maturin (04-08-2012), Watser? (04-08-2012), Ymir's blood (04-08-2012)
  #21  
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 AM
livius drusus's Avatar
livius drusus livius drusus is offline
Admin of white Borts, red Borts and Borts of various colours
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: LMVCCCXIX
Images: 5
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Please tell me you were wearing zoot suits.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (04-08-2012), Vivisectus (04-08-2012), Ymir's blood (04-08-2012)
  #22  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM
thedoc's Avatar
thedoc thedoc is offline
B.O.F. with 0 credibility.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: MXCCCLIII
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
gives us 95112, which of course is a ZIP CODE FOR SAN JOSE.
If that doesn't establish the primacy of 14, what could?
I didn't watch 'Lost'.
Lost was just the prequel to Dante's Inferno.

Who won?
Which version, the original by Dante or Larry Niven's version?
Do you have a list of books that you want to read someday when you have time? Dante's Inferno is on my list, but I missed Larry Niven's version. I used to read the Sci-Fi pulp magazines, about 5 of them I think, and several books but not that one.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
naturalist.atheist naturalist.atheist is offline
Reality Adventurer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: VMDCCLXXVII
Images: 7
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
gives us 95112, which of course is a ZIP CODE FOR SAN JOSE.
If that doesn't establish the primacy of 14, what could?
I didn't watch 'Lost'.
Lost was just the prequel to Dante's Inferno.

Who won?
Which version, the original by Dante or Larry Niven's version?
Do you have a list of books that you want to read someday when you have time? Dante's Inferno is on my list, but I missed Larry Niven's version. I used to read the Sci-Fi pulp magazines, about 5 of them I think, and several books but not that one.
No, I have no such list. I don't think I'll ever have time to read everything I'd like to read.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
ZEZOZE's Avatar
ZEZOZE ZEZOZE is offline
you're next
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Bender
Posts: VMCMXXIV
Images: 147
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14

:jesus: :shake1111:
__________________
paranoid fringe dweller
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Iacchus's Avatar
Iacchus Iacchus is offline
Flipper 11/11
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: VMCMXC
Default Re: Jesus and the Number 14



Yes, the number 3 signifies everything as to truth which, is the triangle completed at its apex. So, instead of 123, a completed triangle is signified by 312. Then there's the Greek letter delta, which signifies the fourth which, one can only presume portrays the region or area defined within the triangle, because a triangle only has three sides. In that regard the number 4 signifies everything as to good, within context of the triangle, that is. And, where 3 is multiplied by 4, the number 12 signifies everything as to The Church . . . which, happens to appear (the New Church in Revelation 12) in the 43rd month following the 42 months of prophecy by the Two Witnesses in chapter 11. Unless of course no one believes good (4) directly corresponds to the truth (3), and only exists in context thereof (12) . . . sort of in the way evil and falsity go hand-in-hand, where good and truth portray the opposite.

Anyway, the base fourteen system suggests that indeed the 4th aspect corresponds to the number 312 and, that both signify the region within the triangle, as well as the triangle itself . . . 14 x 22 + 4 = 312.
__________________
Death (and living) is all in our heads. It is a creation of our own imagination. So, maybe we just "imagine" that we die? :prettycolors:

I have run, I have crawled . . . I have scaled, these city walls . . . only to be with you. :wave:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (04-13-2012)
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.76975 seconds with 14 queries