Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 12-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Pistachio nut

Default Re: Christmas Dinner

Peppadews are great. Thanks for the background Joe. I didn't realise they were acually a kind of pepper (stoopid I know).
Old 12-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Solipsist

I don't know for certain they are, but the 'peppa' in the name, the redness, the hotness, and the speculation on their website that the original plant is Central American all point to it.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 12-27-2004, 01:17 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I think Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are usuallly the same with most US families, VM. Turkey or ham is usually the main course, and regional or ethnic/family side dishes. Dressing varies widely by region, I have found. Also, here in Nevada and when I lived in Southern Colorado, there is a widespread Christmas Eve tradition of tamales.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Also, here in Nevada and when I lived in Southern Colorado, there is a widespread Christmas Eve tradition of tamales.
Tamales are common in New Mexico as well.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescifish
It's all JoeP's fault so I hope he'll jump in and give a description. But since I keep bringing them up (because of their peppery goodness!), I will link you to JoeP's first peppadew introduction post here.
Jumping in as requested.

:toad:, peppadews (or probably PeppadewsTM - the name is trademarked and they call the actual fruit "sweet piquante peppers") are mild-to-moderately hot chilli/chile pepper, red and round-shaped, with a delicious tangy sweetness. They are always sold in jars and I think some of the sweetness may come from the pickling liquid - whatever the case, the leftover liquid in a finished jar is excellent in its own right, in salad dressings and so on.

Joe

Thanks Joe for further enlightening me about these little beauties. I shall search for them on the tundra this week, providing the damned frigid spell lets up enough so that even me and polar bears may safely venture forth. If I am unsuccessful in my quest I'm gonna contact the bureau of statistics at the United Nations and have my country dropped several notches in most desirable nation in which to live scale.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:46 AM
The cat that will listen

We don't have a traditional Christmas dinner--we being my parents, as well as my me + RA family--but we generally have the same thing as at Thanksgiving without the whole turkey. It's just a big family meal.

This Christmas at my parents' we had: smoked turkey, honey-baked ham, cornbread, squash, turnip greens, sweet potato stuff, ribs, and cabbage. I think that's everything.

Plus, desserts.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:10 AM

We had a very traditional Christmas dinner: Chinese take-out in New York City. Well, not traditional for us, but at least for someone.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 AM

After being asked to 'chip-in' to the dinner making by putting a Caesar Salad together, I sat down on the peek-a-do (a term one of my kids coined as a toddler; must have been reminded of it by Peppadews!), and Googled, "christmas caesar salad" and came up with a great recipe at The Reluctant Gourmet. (The site's name seemed appropriate). Everyone like it so much that I was asked for a repeat of the salad on New Year's Day. I think I may have just started a tradition! I hope that's a good thing :D ... but even I can make it and not screw it up. On both occasions though, I gave a shriek :yell: after adding the oil to quickly! Still, it turned out well enough and tastes great.
The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exaulted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy.

Last edited by Maynard; 01-03-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

That looks like THE classic recipe, Maynard. My parents used to do the whole side of the table production number complete with giant wooden bowl on tripod.

Emulsifying the oil is definitely the hardest part. If you can, make one of the guests/kids/family do the slow stream while you whisk it in. That'll make the process much more enjoyable for everyone. :eat:
Old 01-03-2005, 03:12 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmyers
We had a very traditional Christmas dinner: Chinese take-out in New York City. Well, not traditional for us, but at least for someone.

According to my Jewish wife, who grew up in the NYC environs, Chinese take-out is the traditional Jewish Christmas dinner. I suspect that this is because the Chinese restaurants were amongst the few that were actually open on that day.

godfry
Old 01-03-2005, 03:43 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I remember a year that my dad went out and bought a bag full of 15 cent hamburgers from Burger Chef. My mom was sick with the flu and only until the past couple of years my dad never learned to cook anything more complicated than Instant Malt-O-Meal.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink