Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 12-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Babby Police

Default Re: Postmodernist Bullshit-artistry.

For someone that nobody called a racist, IM sure got his tits in a wringer over being called a racist.

Maybe that's some kind of postmodern rational analysis?

eta: Ah, never mind. Watser? did call him a racist. chick didn't though.

Funny how he goes from calling people niggers to simply "using" the word nigger though, ain't it.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:18 AM
ŧiggermonkey

:cone:
Old 12-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Invincible Armour-clad Superhero

Then by Corona's logic Scarlatti is a troll:

Quote:
a) If they react to...anything, that makes them <insert something here>-ians.
Scarlatti reacts to my use of a "bad word", (you have to get in fast before all the other self-righteous tossers). Most other people think it's a "bad word" too, this makes him a morally-righteous-ian, in his deluded little mind.

Quote:
b) I shall push these people until they react, proving them to be <insert something here>-ians.
Scarlatti argues the point even though it's way off topic ad-nauseum deluding himself that IRON MAN's lack of interest in his bullshit is proof that IRON MAN is a racist-ian.

Quote:
c) Hah! They reacted after I poked them with sticks for 3 hours straight! See? They're clearly assholes and not worth my time.
Scarlatti thinks IRON MAN must be a troll because he doesn't have the same point of view as him. Trolls just aren't worth anyone's time ... but ...

Quote:
e) Since they aren't worth my time, clearly I must stay around and poke them with sticks to prove they aren't worth my time. See b.
So every time IRON MAN posts Scarlatti is suddenly there on his high horse whether he has anything to actually contribute to the subject or not.

Or maybe he's just fucking stupid and/or can't read ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scarlatti
For someone that nobody called a racist, IM sure got his tits in a wringer over being called a racist.

Maybe that's some kind of postmodern rational analysis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser?
First of all you are full of crap as usual. There is nothing 'lefty' (whatever that is) about post-modernism. Both Scarlatti and I have already said we hate it, so either we are not 'lefty' or your statements are as usual total content-free bullshit.
Second, your 'repellant' doesn't work, you racist donkeyfucker.
Either way, now that I've pointed that out, you can go back and actually address the subject of my posts if you like.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
eta: Ah, never mind. Watser? did call him a racist. chick didn't though.
Didn't see anyone objecting if they thought the term was inaccurate either.

Here's your chance - and chick's.

Quote:
Funny how he goes from calling people niggers to simply "using" the word nigger though, ain't it.
That is the most pitiful example of your nitpicking yet. I'd say most of the time the word "nigger" is used in pretty much the same way Michael Richards is famous for using it. Why would you pretend I was suggesting otherwise.

Thanks for providing another example of your obfuscating bullshit lame-arse.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Babby Police

I don't give a shit whether you say nigger ten thousand times a fucking hour. What struck me as funny is apparently you're too stupid to realize you were mocking someone with an Arabic name. Your post above is pure bullshit, since I never said any of those things, and edited my post long before your little triumph at the end of it.

Besides, you really don't have anything to say about postmodernism anyway; you're just a garden variety internet asshole.

And yes, assclown, you went from calling Reem Al-Mahfoud and her extended family "tea towel niggers" to your own little politically correct, mealy-mouthed backpedalling about simply "using" the word. To you, that's nitpicking, to me, it's the priceless unintentional comedy of your ignorance and hypocrisy.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAN
Well I have no reason to think the definition is under dispute.
Well, it is though. As I mentioned, one of the people most often labelled as a postmodernist utterly rejected the term.

Quote:
Why don't you tell me what you mean by it liv if you really think that's an issue - you just used it three times.
When I refer to postmodern fiction I mean fiction that focuses on certain themes: whether language has intrinsic meaning, for example, or how the reader imbues a narrative with as much (or more) significance as the author does, or the use of story-within-a-story mirroring.

Calvino's If On a Winter's Night a Traveller is the most amazing incarnation of these themes. It's actually written in second person. Truly the most original and marvelous novel I've ever read. Pirandello's Six Characters in Search of an Author does it in play format.

I don't really have a definition of postmodernism, though. The above characteristics are descriptive not proscriptive, and from all I've read on the topic, postmodernism is not an easy thing to pin down. People argue about it all the time, so the definition is very much in dispute, in my experience.

So what is your definition of the term, then?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Forum Killer

Quote:
Scarlatti reacts to my use of a "bad word"
So of course you must use it as much as possible in explicitly racist ways to piss people off, and then whine over the resulting lack of productive conversation stemming from your initial non-topic. Yes, this is trolling. You might as well post "YOU'RE ALL CUNTS: DISCUSS".

You're quite intelligent and usually interesting, but as of late you've been way too wrapped up in the people who've managed to offend you through your (apparently pretend) shell of don't-give-a-shit. Sorry, man. :plonk:
Old 12-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Babby Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
Come on. He doesn't know that the fuck he's talking about.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:01 AM
ŧiggermonkey

:sundae:
Old 12-10-2006, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I don't give a shit whether you say nigger ten thousand times a fucking hour. What struck me as funny is apparently you're too stupid to realize you were mocking someone with an Arabic name.
What gave you the impression I didn't know she was Arabic? I would have thought that plainly obvious considering where her family lives dickhead. I can only write this off as another one of your delusions that you read into my posts.

Quote:
Your post above is pure bullshit, since I never said any of those things,
What "things" exactly didn't you say?

Quote:
and edited my post long before your little triumph at the end of it.
Well as I said, it shows you obviously don't bother reading what you supposedly are arguing against. Which supports my points like the one above.

By the way, sorry for not checking back every 5 seconds to see if you had edited your gay little post. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Besides, you really don't have anything to say about postmodernism anyway; you're just a garden variety internet asshole.
Yes, and I notice how specific you are being yourself.

Liv is the only one to even have anything resembling any sort of on topic discussion so far.

Quote:
And yes, assclown, you went from calling Reem Al-Mahfoud and her extended family "tea towel niggers" to your own little politically correct, mealy-mouthed backpedalling about simply "using" the word. To you, that's nitpicking, to me, it's the priceless unintentional comedy of your ignorance and hypocrisy.
Do I sound like I have any desire to hide behind words you butt-reaming retard? Nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus
Well, it is though. As I mentioned, one of the people most often labelled as a postmodernist utterly rejected the term.
Well riddle me this caped crusader: How do you feel about Ayn Rand rejecting the label of Libertarian. Do you still think she is one, or does she get to label herself?

What about Jehovah's Witnesses? They aren't a cult - just ask them.

What I am trying to say is, that I don't think that really tells us anything.

Quote:
When I refer to postmodern fiction I mean fiction that focuses on certain themes: whether language has intrinsic meaning, for example, or how the reader imbues a narrative with as much (or more) significance as the author does, or the use of story-within-a-story mirroring.

Calvino's If On a Winter's Night a Traveller is the most amazing incarnation of these themes. It's actually written in second person. Truly the most original and marvelous novel I've ever read. Pirandello's Six Characters in Search of an Author does it in play format.

I don't really have a definition of postmodernism, though. The above characteristics are descriptive not proscriptive, and from all I've read on the topic, postmodernism is not an easy thing to pin down. People argue about it all the time, so the definition is very much in dispute, in my experience.

As I have alluded to already, I am discussing postmodernism as a Emperor's New Clothes pseudo-intellectual wankfest in which the writer/speaker is merely masturbating with academic sounding rhetoric, that has no significant intellectual value, as epitomised by the Sokal Affair.

Most writers identified as postmodern entities, whether self-identified or not are going to fit the definition for critics and proponents alike. Take your pick.

If the true definition of postmodernism is at all hard to nail down, I think that's because postmodernists like it that way. But I'd say the best definition was probably given by Lyotard:

Quote:
The subject is interpolated into a subcapitalist paradigm of reality that includes truth as a totality. In a sense, several theories concerning the role of the poet as observer may be revealed. Cultural theory suggests that context is a product of communication. However, Foucault uses the term ‘the subcapitalist paradigm of reality’ to denote the bridge between society and narrativity. A number of materialisms concerning cultural theory exist.
However you are focused on Postmodern Fiction. Personally, I think it's all fiction. If it actually purports to be fiction, then hey I'll lay off. If reading that style of writing floats your boat well you don't need to justify that to anybody, (even if ultimately it is just wank), but it's a whole new kettle of fish if you pretend to be advancing human understanding in the field of say, philosophy.

So if you are just talking about Postmodern fiction liv, I have no opinion on that except to say that I personally think it blows donkey nads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
You might as well post "YOU'RE ALL CUNTS: DISCUSS".
Thanks for the advice.

And I'm sorry Corona, you can no more argue that I am troll than you can argue Socrates was a troll in Athens.

The guy had a different opinion and an abrasive style. That doesn't mean he didn't believe what he was saying.

And no I'm not comparing myself to Socrates in any favourable way except to say that both our views are both consistent across the board. If I, or Socrates for that matter, were just out to piss people off, there are plenty of points of view we could take that would do just that - and better - than what we actually are doing/did do.

You might wonder at that until you consider that my views are consistent with a specific philosophy well known for treading on toes in the exact areas in which you guys are jumping up and down.

Can't see most of you accusing me of trolling when I tell yguy that I think religion is a load of bollocks, or that George Bush isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

You're all seem downright hypocritical the more I think about it actually ...
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Admin

Quote:
To suggest that I am a racist because I endorse anyone's right to use the word, "nigger",...
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's the fact that you use expressions like "tea-towel nigger" that has me convinced that you're a racist. I'd say the fact that you rationalize such overt expressions of racism as a defense of "free speech" is more a demonstration of your intellectual dishonesty than racism.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Quote:
To suggest that I am a racist because I endorse anyone's right to use the word, "nigger",...
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's the fact that you use expressions like "tea-towel nigger" that has me convinced that you're a racist. I'd say the fact that you rationalize such overt expressions of racism as a defense of "free speech" is more a demonstration of your intellectual dishonesty than racism.
Yes but what do you know, you're just some fucking yank.

And as far as intellectual dishonesty goes, I'm not the one trying to make some flimsy demarcation within freedom of speech, just because I happen to personally find something offensive.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Babby Police

Quote:
Your typical made-up bullshit sophistry in #28. It's what you do when you're not scurrying away from all your other bullshit pseudo-intellectual nonsense masquerading as "discussion." Have you got your own "amazing strangers" page yet? You should, because you're quite a bit more laughable than all the people you like to mock.

Anyway, *plonk.* There. That'll keep me from desecrating your precious "discussions" in future.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Your typical made-up bullshit sophistry in #28. It's what you do when you're not scurrying away from all your other bullshit pseudo-intellectual nonsense masquerading as "discussion." Have you got your own "amazing strangers" page yet? You should, because you're quite a bit more laughable than all the people you like to mock.

Anyway, *plonk.* There. That'll keep me from desecrating your precious "discussions" in future.
In other words there is nothing specific you can point to. Thought so.

Saved myself a lot of work asking you that question didn't I?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Admin

Quote:
And as far as intellectual dishonesty goes, I'm not the one trying to make some flimsy demarcation within freedom of speech, just because I happen to personally find it offensive.
Of course I'm not either. I don't know about Australia, but I understand and accept that in America you would be free to spew your favorite racist epithets 'till your teeth chapped. Of course most intelligent people would interpret it as the racist bile it is, and dismiss your claim to defending the lofty principles of free speech by calling people 'niggers' as the laughable rationalization for your racism it is.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:30 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Am I the only one laughing that Iron Man started a thread to complain about people no one here knows partly to call them "fucking whiner-babies."

I figure the obvious irony suggests he is either too stupid to use a keyboard or is an obvious parody or performance art piece.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Of course I'm not either. I don't know about Australia, but I understand and accept that in America you would be free to spew your favorite racist epithets 'till your teeth chapped. Of course most intelligent people would interpret it as the racist bile it is, and dismiss your claim to defending the lofty principles of free speech by calling people 'niggers' as the laughable rationalization for your racism it is.
Unless I was voicing a poorly animated cartoon character, or was a black stand up comedian, in which case they would laugh their collective tits off and spend a few million dollars buying my merchandise, before making a laughable rationalisation that some words in some situations denote certain racism, and sometimes those same words don't. It's easy to tell which is which - if they find it funny then it's definitely not racism.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari
Am I the only one laughing that Iron Man started a thread to complain about people no one here knows partly to call them "fucking whiner-babies."

I figure the obvious irony suggests he is either too stupid to use a keyboard or is an obvious parody or performance art piece.
Newsflash: ":rolleyes:" = sarcasm
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes but what do you know, you're just some fucking yank.

And as far as intellectual dishonesty goes, I'm not the one trying to make some flimsy demarcation within freedom of speech, just because I happen to personally find something offensive.
Really? So how come you give a shit when people call you a racist? You can call people nigger all you want, but you lose the right to complain about what they call you. Or that they stop talking to you altogether. I am done with you and your heroic attacks on windmills. :ciao:

PLONK! :plonk:
Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
I am done with you and your heroic attacks on windmills.
omg, literary allusion. I call intellectual wankery. You po-mo euroweenie! :D
Old 12-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF
Quote:
I am done with you and your heroic attacks on windmills.
omg, literary allusion. I call intellectual wankery. You po-mo euroweenie! :D
Nu-uh, I just saw the movie. Tis all in your head :ptht:
Old 12-10-2006, 11:38 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Ok, but if it was in black and white and made after 1965, you are SO back on the list! Also if any French people were involved in its production. :tsktsk:
Old 12-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Fishy mokey

You have a list? :blowwhistle: :censor: :inquisit: :police: :judge: :hero:
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
:censor:
What the hell is this? :giggle: Looks like a "I'm going to give myself another haircut" smiley.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Fishy mokey

:giggles:

Oh and Iron Man, if it makes you feel better, think of it not as a *Plonk but as a good old-fashioned libertarian boycott

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium