Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 11-24-2022, 05:01 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

:boythink:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (11-28-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 05:26 AM
California Sober

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

We're watching Wednesday, and I'm not sure about it yet. I don't love the vitriol from Wednesday to her parents. Is it a teenager thing? I don't remember her ever being like that to her parents before. I love the casting of Catherine Zeta and Luis Guzman, but since the show is from Wednesday's POV, they make her parents look kind of like assholes. I don't know, I'm just not getting it so far. Am I too old?
beyelzu (11-24-2022), slimshady2357 (11-27-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 06:10 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

I’ve been enjoying Wednesday Drew Outcast School Detective.

The relationship between Wednesday and Morticia is much changed. I’m hoping they chose to do that so Wednesday can grow to understand her parents some and appreciate them.

Perhaps this is just an angsty time in Wednesday’s life.

I like how dark they are making Wednesday and I’m here for wherever it goes.

(The shift in relationship tone is bit jarring, like I first thought they were joking, especially if you are thinking Ricci/Huston, but I head canon that they used to be closer and will be again one day)
slimshady2357 (11-27-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 06:18 AM

Also we watched

By the motherfuckers that brought you Dark. It’s fucking good.

Also, watch it English subtitled if you can handle reading subtitles. Many of the characters speak languages that most of the other passengers don’t speak with some characters fluent in multiple languages.

So people talk around and to people who don’t understand them, subtitles help you keep that in mind.

I really, really liked it. I will watch it again. Much like Dark, the show warrants at least a second viewing.

Looking forward to the next season.
Crumb (11-24-2022), JoeP (11-24-2022), SharonDee (12-13-2022), slimshady2357 (11-24-2022), Sock Puppet (11-28-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022), viscousmemories (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 06:50 AM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
... We should get him onto :ff: to "interview" FX
And all this time I thought you were just pretending to be a woke idiot.

You are actually serious about it

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 11-27-2022, 01:36 AM
mesospheric bore

So I also watched Wednesday. I enjoyed it well enough, I guess. Jenna Ortega does a great job in the main role, and her goth dance pastiche to The Cramps is fun. But the story has a bunch of things I find fairly unsatisfying, so somewhere mid-tier for me.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-28-2022), BrotherMan (11-27-2022), slimshady2357 (11-27-2022), Sock Puppet (11-28-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 07:04 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I haven't gone all the way through it yet, but that's about right.

Some of the casting/writing/directing isn't where I think it could be. But then, the other characters aren't really why I'm watching the show. Ortega p much solos and is why you're watching.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-28-2022), fragment (11-27-2022), slimshady2357 (11-27-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 01:40 AM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

It's on Amazon Prime, but last night I watched "It's a Wonderful Afterlife." It's an Indian romantic comedy set in England, and it was a lot of fun. (Of course, i'm easily amused.)
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-28-2022), slimshady2357 (11-28-2022), Stormlight (11-28-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 03:49 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
So I also watched Wednesday. I enjoyed it well enough, I guess. Jenna Ortega does a great job in the main role, and her goth dance pastiche to The Cramps is fun. But the story has a bunch of things I find fairly unsatisfying, so somewhere mid-tier for me.
Just started watching this. I'm still watching this for Jenna Ortega's take on Wednesday. There are moments of pure brilliance - "It's amateurs like you that give kidnapping a bad name." *chef's kiss*
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-11-2022), slimshady2357 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Admin

I enjoyed Wednesday more than I thought I would, and I thought it got better as the season went on. I loved some aspects of it, like the set design of her bedroom and the occasional dark quip (ala specious' comment above). I have been describing it as Addams Family meets Harry Potter meets Veronica Mars, though the dialogue in VMars was more consistently clever in my opinion.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-12-2022), BrotherMan (12-11-2022), Crumb (12-11-2022), slimshady2357 (12-12-2022), Sock Puppet (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 01:37 AM
mesospheric bore

To expand on my reservations on Wednesday:

All that said, I did enjoy the show, will watch another season and hope for better story arcs next time.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-12-2022), BrotherMan (12-12-2022), Crumb (12-12-2022), JoeP (12-12-2022), slimshady2357 (12-12-2022), Sock Puppet (12-12-2022), specious_reasons (12-12-2022), viscousmemories (12-12-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 04:01 AM
here to bore you with pictures

It might be worth your time — if you have any interest in Murderville — to watch the Murderville holiday special. It's stupid fun.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-16-2022)
Old 02-04-2023, 04:26 PM

Y’all might remember Squid Game, a show where assholes watch desperate people compete for money.

Well, they decided to make a reality game show of it, and the contestants say it’s unpleasant, what a shocker!

Quote:
“Imagine you’re playing ‘Red Light Green Light’ for six hours. What game is that? This isn’t a game. The fun is now gone. You can’t tell people they have to stand in below freezing temperatures in just a tracksuit and two pairs of socks. Come on.”
That quote is from a dude who got on the show because he was a huge fan of the series.

Quote:
But as the game got underway, the atmosphere changed. Coats were taken away; hand and foot warmers were scooped out of pockets and plimsolls; and the players’ jackets had to remain unzipped in order to display their numbers as well as the fake blood that would squirt from devices strapped to their chests if they were eliminated. When the show’s giant killer doll stopped singing, they had to freeze in position — but what began as the promised two-minute wait was quickly bumped up to 10 and then 15 minutes. Marlene says she counted a 26-minute wait during one round. (Sources close to the production say the wait time increased to allow independent adjudicators to assess the gameplay.)
Inside Netflix's 'Squid Game' Reality Show Disaster - Variety

Apparently, the people who make the Circle are one of the two production companies making this.
Ari (03-18-2023), BrotherMan (02-05-2023), Crumb (02-06-2023), Ensign Steve (02-07-2023), fragment (02-04-2023), JoeP (02-05-2023), mickthinks (02-04-2023), Sock Puppet (02-09-2023), viscousmemories (02-05-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 01:13 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
You young hepcats have probably already seen it, but Bo Burnham's new special is really well done. It starts out a bit disjointed and silly, but it coalesces, or spirals maybe, in the last 2/3 or so.

It's very heavy on depression and suicidal ideation, so it's not for everyone.
I don't remember reading this but I most definitely wasn't seeking out expressions of depression and suicidal ideation in early 2021 so I probably skipped right over it. That said, I will be watching it with some of my sibling's offspring today. We had a karaoke party last night and two zoomers, my non-binary former nephew (we really need a better gender-neutral word than 'nibling' to describe that relationship) and niece, 25 and 26 respectively, both knew "How the World Works" and "Welcome to the Internet" BY HEART, and I was legitimately in awe of the content and profoundly inspired by the idea that young people are confronting these dilemmas head-on. I mean obviously it's a horrible world they've inherited, but there's no way out and up but through it amirite?
Thanks, from:
Ari (03-18-2023), Crumb (03-18-2023), Sock Puppet (03-20-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature