Go Back   Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration

Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Tablet New Features List - Updated

Posting Features

Multiquote: To quote multiple posts in one fell swoop, click on the button. (It'll turn blue so you know that post is selected for quoting. Click it again to deselect.) You can click on as many as you want over the pages of a thread, or even over multiple threads, then click on and all the posts will be quoted in a new post.

Edit: This is now a quick edit feature to change the contents of a post. To access the full editor, click "Preview Post" after clicking "Edit" or click the "Edit" button again.

Thanks: Express appreciation for a post by clicking the Thanks button: . This will add a small field underneath the post listing any users who have clicked Thanks.

To see all of a member's thanked posts, click on the "Find all thanked posts by [username]" link in their profile.

To hide the field underneath posts that lists the thanks a post has received, click on User Tools - Edit Options, scroll down to the Thread Display Options and select "No" in the "Display Thank you Block" area.

Hyperlink: to use the hyperlink button, click , enter the URL and click on OK. You'll find yourself back in the post with your cursor perfectly located, so just type whatever you want the link to say. Alternatively, select the word you want to make a link, click the hyperlink botton and enter the URL.

Spellcheck: to check spelling and look up a misspelled word in the Merriam-Webster dictionary or thesaurus, click this button: .

Increase/decrease size: to stretch/shrink the new message field, click on these buttons in the new reply window. This is particularly useful when working on long posts. The board will remember the size you last picked.

New BB Codes:
User -- to link to a member profile in a post, put the username between [user] tags.
Wikipedia -- to link to a Wikipedia article, put the keyword between [wiki] tags.
Google -- to link to Google search results, put the keyword to be searched between [google] tags.
Table -- click here for instructions on how to create an HTML-style table.

Video Embedding: to embed a YouTube, Google Video, Metacafe, iFilm, Putfile, or MySpace video into a post, simply paste the link into the post. The Automatic Media Embedding add-on will automatically convert the link into an embedded video.

New Thread Browsing Features

New posts: to list unread threads which have new posts since your last login, click Show Threads - New Posts.

New posts (old style): to list ALL threads (unread and read) which have new posts since your last login, click Show Threads - New Posts (old style).

Live feed: to see a real-time feed of all new posts, set to auto-refresh every 30 seconds, click Show Threads - Live feed. Be warned: any forums, threads or people you have on ignore will show up in the live feed.

View first unread: to jump to the first unread post in a thread, click to the left of the title on the index.

Show only posts by user: to see all of the posts that user has made in the thread back-to-back, click on a username in a thread and then click "show only [username]'s posts".

Go to Page: to navigate to a specific page in a thread, click on the button to the right of the page numbers.

Postdisplay-Type: to switch between the default post layout (user info on top) and the legacy postbit (user on the left) in a thread, click on Thread Tools - Postdisplay-Type.

Exclude a forum from view: to hide a whole forum, click User Tools - Edit Options and scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen. Click on the forum (or forums) you wish to hide, and click save. You will no longer see it on the forum home, in the New Posts or the Active threads view.

You can still see the excluded forum on the live feed, however.

Ignore an individual thread without opening it : click the button to the right of a thread on the index to make the thread disappear from view.

Disable smilies in posts: go to Edit Options and select 'Disable' under "Select 'Disable' to disable smilies (emoticons) in posts."

User Control Panel Features

Avatar resizing: to upload any avatar regardless of size, click on User Tools - Edit Options - Edit Avatar. The sofware will automatically resize your images so they fit within the 100 x 100 pixel parameters.

Signature uploads: to upload pics directly from your hard drive, click on User Tools - Edit Options - Edit Signature.

Date Format options: to pick between 4 different date formats, click on User Tools - Edit Options, scroll down to the Date & Time options and select your preferred format.

Hour format options: to switch between the default 12 hour time format to 24 hour format, click on User Tools - Edit Options, scroll down to the Date & Time options and select your preferred format.

Ignored Signatures/Avatars/Threads: to manage the signatures, avatars and threads you have on ignore, click User Tools - Ignored Signatures/Avatars/Threads.

Other Features

Articles section: now on the forum list so any new articles or comments will appear on the new posts and active threads lists.

Blogs: like the old journal hack, this new blogging system gives you the ability to only allow people on your buddy list to read and/or comment on your blog. A new feature is the ability to block people on your ignore list from reading and/or commenting. Blogs are also open to guest comments, so you can share your blog with non-members.

Googlemap: add your location to a Google map of :ff: members.

Search titles in search dropdowns: to search quickly for keywords in thread titles instead of in all posts, check the "Search titles" box in the search dropdown menus of the navbar "Search" (underneath the header) and the "Search this Forum" (on the top right of all forums).

PM addressing: to send a PM to multiple recipients, add their usernames in the To field (all recipients will see the full recipient list), or the BCC field (recipients will see only sender).

PM options: to save all sent messages by default, delete received messages once you've replied, or choose to receive PMs only from Admins and buddies, click on User Tools - Options and scroll to the Messaging & Notification section.

PM preview in email notification: when you choose to receive emails notifying you of new PMs, the email now includes the first few sentences of the PM.

PM search: easily search all your private messages by keyword, recipient and/or sender. You can find the "Search link in the left-hand menu, under "Send New Message"

PM attachments: attach one or more files to a PM by scrolling down past the reply window and clicking the "Manage Attachments" button. Click "Browse" to find the file on your hard drive, and click "Upload". Repeat for as many files as you wish to add.

PM Reply to All: click to send your reply to everyone who received the original message.

New stats: scroll to the bottom of the forum list to find out the number of active users (people who have logged in over the past 2 months), and the number of guests and search engine spiders that have visited today.

Arcade Favorites: to add a game to your favorites tab on the arcade home, click on the button next to any game in the arcade.

Last edited by livius drusus; 12-08-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Thanks, from:
curses (12-09-2007), Pinecone (12-08-2007), Seven of Nine (12-09-2007), Stormlight (12-09-2007), Watser? (12-09-2007)
Old 12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Not as smart as Adam

Default Re: New Features List - Updated

Thanks for the summary. What language is the spell checker set for?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 PM
California Sober

Oh, we can post to this thread?

What's the update? I can't tell what's new and old in the OP.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd View Post
Thanks for the summary. What language is the spell checker set for?
:englishplz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Oh, we can post to this thread?
Oops. I forgetted to lock. :blush: I'll split off the discussion when I have a feature update just to keep this thread clean.

Quote:
What's the update? I can't tell what's new and old in the OP.
It's a compendium of all the recent additions which have been mentioned in other threads. Specifically, the new video embedding system, the search dropdown options, the ignore thread , disable smilies, blogs, Googlemaps, PM search, attachments and reply to all.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-09-2007)
Old 12-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Not as smart as Adam

I am honour bound to check the colour of your spell checker. I have realised that I am correct in that it recognises color and honor as well.

Hard to tell. Firefox is set to English Australia so it's telling me that color is incorrect. Your spell checker says it's all okay.

ETA: Confused? So am I. I was asking what dictionary the spell checker uses. UK English, USA English or the real thing, 'Strayan English.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 AM
California Sober

The spell checker on the forum just invokes your browser's local spell checker. So presumably whatever language you have your computer set at is what it will check. I figured this out the other day when I tried it from a computer that didn't have the browser's spell check function enabled.
livius drusus (12-09-2007)
Old 12-09-2007, 01:21 AM

:carson:
Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Admin

That's not actually true. We use an add-on called vbSpell and the ("English") dictionary it came with is loaded in the forum database.
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (12-09-2007)
Old 12-09-2007, 03:23 AM

Why must you turn this forum into a house of lies, Ensign?
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-09-2007), Stormlight (12-09-2007), Watser? (12-09-2007)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Not as smart as Adam

I didn't know any of that, and then it turned out that some of what I didn't know wasn't right, so now I don't know what I don't know which means that I probably know something. Thanks for clearing that up guys.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 AM
California Sober

Hey! I said "presumably". I was just going by my experience the other day at work when I clicked on the spell check and it prompted me to install some IE spell check add-on.

Freethought Forum > Public Works > Forum Administration