Old 10-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Unicode is weird

For no easily explicable reason, there are over a dozen alternate “alphabets” defined in the Unicode standard. Some of these aren’t actually intended as alphabets (for example, one of the characters in one of these is actually intended to be the Planck constant), but somehow they got put into the standard anyway. Here are several of them (note that there are no font tags for the text below):

ⒶⒷⒸⒹⒺⒻⒼⒽⒾⒿⓀⓁⓂⓃⓄⓅⓆⓇⓈⓉⓊⓋⓌⓍⓎⓏ ⓐⓑⓒⓓⓔⓕⓖⓗⓘⓙⓚⓛⓜⓝⓞⓟⓠⓡⓢⓣⓤⓥⓦⓧⓨⓩ ⓪①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳
🅐🅑🅒🅓🅔🅕🅖🅗🅘🅙🅚🅛🅜🅝🅞🅟🅠🅡🅢🅣🅤🅥🅦🅧🅨🅩 ⓿❶❷❸❹❺❻❼❽❾❿⓫⓬⓭⓮⓯⓰⓱⓲⓳⓴
🄰🄱🄲🄳🄴🄵🄶🄷🄸🄹🄺🄻🄼🄽🄾🄿🅀🅁🅂🅃🅄🅅🅆🅇🅈🅉
🅰🅱🅲🅳🅴🅵🅶🅷🅸🅹🅺🅻🅼🅽🅾🅿🆀🆁🆂🆃🆄🆅🆆🆇🆈🆉
𝒜ℬ𝒞𝒟ℰℱ𝒢ℋℐ𝒥𝒦ℒℳ𝒩𝒪𝒫𝒬ℛ𝒮𝒯𝒰𝒱𝒲𝒳𝒴𝒵 𝒶𝒷𝒸𝒹ℯ𝒻ℊ𝒽𝒾𝒿𝓀𝓁𝓂𝓃ℴ𝓅𝓆𝓇𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓋𝓌𝓍𝓎𝓏
𝓐𝓑𝓒𝓓𝓔𝓕𝓖𝓗𝓘𝓙𝓚𝓛𝓜𝓝𝓞𝓟𝓠𝓡𝓢𝓣𝓤𝓥𝓦𝓧𝓨𝓩 𝓪𝓫𝓬𝓭𝓮𝓯𝓰𝓱𝓲𝓳𝓴𝓵𝓶𝓷𝓸𝓹𝓺𝓻𝓼𝓽𝓾𝓿𝔀𝔁𝔂𝔃
𝙰𝙱𝙲𝙳𝙴𝙵𝙶𝙷𝙸𝙹𝙺𝙻𝙼𝙽𝙾𝙿𝚀𝚁𝚂𝚃𝚄𝚅𝚆𝚇𝚈𝚉 𝚊𝚋𝚌𝚍𝚎𝚏𝚐𝚑𝚒𝚓𝚔𝚕𝚖𝚗𝚘𝚙𝚚𝚛𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚟𝚠𝚡𝚢𝚣 𝟶𝟷𝟸𝟹𝟺𝟻𝟼𝟽𝟾𝟿
𝔄𝔅ℭ𝔇𝔈𝔉𝔊ℌℑ𝔍𝔎𝔏𝔐𝔑𝔒𝔓𝔔ℜ𝔖𝔗𝔘𝔙𝔚𝔛𝔜ℨ 𝔞𝔟𝔠𝔡𝔢𝔣𝔤𝔥𝔦𝔧𝔨𝔩𝔪𝔫𝔬𝔭𝔮𝔯𝔰𝔱𝔲𝔳𝔴𝔵𝔶𝔷
𝕬𝕭𝕮𝕯𝕰𝕱𝕲𝕳𝕴𝕵𝕶𝕷𝕸𝕹𝕺𝕻𝕼𝕽𝕾𝕿𝖀𝖁𝖂𝖃𝖄𝖅 𝖆𝖇𝖈𝖉𝖊𝖋𝖌𝖍𝖎𝖏𝖐𝖑𝖒𝖓𝖔𝖕𝖖𝖗𝖘𝖙𝖚𝖛𝖜𝖝𝖞𝖟
𝔸𝔹ℂ𝔻𝔼𝔽𝔾ℍ𝕀𝕁𝕂𝕃𝕄ℕ𝕆ℙℚℝ𝕊𝕋𝕌𝕍𝕎𝕏𝕐ℤ 𝕒𝕓𝕔𝕕𝕖𝕗𝕘𝕙𝕚𝕛𝕜𝕝𝕞𝕟𝕠𝕡𝕢𝕣𝕤𝕥𝕦𝕧𝕨𝕩𝕪𝕫 𝟘𝟙𝟚𝟛𝟜𝟝𝟞𝟟𝟠𝟡
𝐴𝐵𝐶𝐷𝐸𝐹𝐺𝐻𝐼𝐽𝐾𝐿𝑀𝑁𝑂𝑃𝑄𝑅𝑆𝑇𝑈𝑉𝑊𝑋𝑌𝑍 𝑎𝑏𝑐𝑑𝑒𝑓𝑔ℎ𝑖𝑗𝑘𝑙𝑚𝑛𝑜𝑝𝑞𝑟𝑠𝑡𝑢𝑣𝑤𝑥𝑦𝑧
𝐀𝐁𝐂𝐃𝐄𝐅𝐆𝐇𝐈𝐉𝐊𝐋𝐌𝐍𝐎𝐏𝐐𝐑𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐕𝐖𝐗𝐘𝐙 𝐚𝐛𝐜𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐠𝐡𝐢𝐣𝐤𝐥𝐦𝐧𝐨𝐩𝐪𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐯𝐰𝐱𝐲𝐳 𝟎𝟏𝟐𝟑𝟒𝟓𝟔𝟕𝟖𝟗
𝑨𝑩𝑪𝑫𝑬𝑭𝑮𝑯𝑰𝑱𝑲𝑳𝑴𝑵𝑶𝑷𝑸𝑹𝑺𝑻𝑼𝑽𝑾𝑿𝒀𝒁 𝒂𝒃𝒄𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒈𝒉𝒊𝒋𝒌𝒍𝒎𝒏𝒐𝒑𝒒𝒓𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒗𝒘𝒙𝒚𝒛
𝖠𝖡𝖢𝖣𝖤𝖥𝖦𝖧𝖨𝖩𝖪𝖫𝖬𝖭𝖮𝖯𝖰𝖱𝖲𝖳𝖴𝖵𝖶𝖷𝖸𝖹 𝖺𝖻𝖼𝖽𝖾𝖿𝗀𝗁𝗂𝗃𝗄𝗅𝗆𝗇𝗈𝗉𝗊𝗋𝗌𝗍𝗎𝗏𝗐𝗑𝗒𝗓 𝟢𝟣𝟤𝟥𝟦𝟧𝟨𝟩𝟪𝟫
𝘈𝘉𝘊𝘋𝘌𝘍𝘎𝘏𝘐𝘑𝘒𝘓𝘔𝘕𝘖𝘗𝘘𝘙𝘚𝘛𝘜𝘝𝘞𝘟𝘠𝘡 𝘢𝘣𝘤𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘨𝘩𝘪𝘫𝘬𝘭𝘮𝘯𝘰𝘱𝘲𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘷𝘸𝘹𝘺𝘻
𝗔𝗕𝗖𝗗𝗘𝗙𝗚𝗛𝗜𝗝𝗞𝗟𝗠𝗡𝗢𝗣𝗤𝗥𝗦𝗧𝗨𝗩𝗪𝗫𝗬𝗭 𝗮𝗯𝗰𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗴𝗵𝗶𝗷𝗸𝗹𝗺𝗻𝗼𝗽𝗾𝗿𝘀𝘁𝘂𝘃𝘄𝘅𝘆𝘇 𝟬𝟭𝟮𝟯𝟰𝟱𝟲𝟳𝟴𝟵
𝘼𝘽𝘾𝘿𝙀𝙁𝙂𝙃𝙄𝙅𝙆𝙇𝙈𝙉𝙊𝙋𝙌𝙍𝙎𝙏𝙐𝙑𝙒𝙓𝙔𝙕 𝙖𝙗𝙘𝙙𝙚𝙛𝙜𝙝𝙞𝙟𝙠𝙡𝙢𝙣𝙤𝙥𝙦𝙧𝙨𝙩𝙪𝙫𝙬𝙭𝙮𝙯
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_
`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ 

The existence of a couple of these alphabets is actually explicable - the last one, for example, is used in Japanese text when Western script gets mixed in, making it blend in better (many, though not all, fonts display these characters with the same width as normal Japanese script, making them read more elegantly). But I can’t begin to explain why there are two complete blackletter or double-struck scripts.

Anyway, as you may have noted, I’m using blackletter script in my custom user title right now to make fun of the tiny-fingered, Cheeto-faced, ferret-wearing shitgibbon. There’s a converter here which includes several alphabets and pseudo-alphabets (note that not all of them are complete, or at least don’t display correctly with the character sets I currently have installed on my computer; also note that most of these characters don’t display correctly in Android, at least not by default).

I’m curious why these characters were included in the Unicode standard, but mostly I’m amused that they exist.

One last set of characters appears to be intended for numbered lists, but again, I’m not sure why this was simpler than simply typing out “1.”, “2.”, etc.

⒈⒉⒊⒋⒌⒍⒎⒏⒐⒑⒒⒓⒔⒕⒖⒗⒘⒙⒚⒛

Finally, the forum admins should perhaps be aware that using “quick edit” on several of these character sets breaks them. I don’t know why; vBulletin is probably poorly coded. It still works better here than it does at my forum, where using these scripts at all simply truncates a message (probably because I actually have my database set encoded as UTF-8, iirc, and vBulletin must not know how to handle this correctly).

e: I wanted to try using Drumpf quotes in Zalgo text, but this doesn’t seem to work with whatever character settings the forum has. Using the results for “I HAVE A WINNING TEMPERAMENT” results in this (spoiler tagged because it stretches the table):

Weird.

e2: Actually, Zalgo text seems to work fine on Windows. Mac OS X doesn’t like it, at least with Firefox. I have no explanation for why this happens.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 10-04-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (10-04-2016), Crumb (10-04-2016), Ensign Steve (10-07-2016), Janet (10-05-2016), JoeP (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM
mesospheric bore

Default Re: Unicode is weird

Unicode separates the intended purpose of a symbol from its visual appearance. In some cases a number of different purposes might be represented by a symbol that is visually the same. I'm guessing a number of these are intended for use as mathematical symbols rather than letters of the alphabet.
Crumb (10-04-2016), The Man (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Anyway, as you may have noted, I’m using blackletter script in my custom user title right now
𝕆𝕄𝔾 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨𝕠𝕗𝕗!

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
SR71 (10-05-2016), The Man (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Finally, the forum admins should perhaps be aware that using “quick edit” on several of these character sets breaks them. I don’t know why; vBulletin is probably poorly coded.
We may take that as a given. They will of course claim that newer versions (which we can't upgrade to without great effort, cost, risk and who knows what else) are better, but I'm convinced they are still poorly coded.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
The Man (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Having done some further research on this, fragment appears to be right; most of these are apparently intended for use as mathematical symbols. I can sort of see the reasoning; italic and/or bold letters can be used as symbols for specific variables with separate meanings from those that aren’t italic and/or bold, and keeping the meaning straight is important. I can even see how blackletter, script, and double-strike are important. I do not understand the reasoning behind having separate alphabets for serif italic, serif bold, serif bold-italic, sans-serif roman, sans-serif italic, sans-serif bold, and sans-serif bold-italic, but not serif roman. Surely a large portion of webpages on the Intertubes are rendered in sans-serif fonts, and having separate serif symbols presumably makes no less sense than having separate sans-serif ones.

Anyway, this is the code block a lot of these symbols appear in, in case anyone else was curious and wanted to do further research.

Regarding vBulletin: vBulletin 3 is fairly poorly coded, yes. It doesn’t come close to being as poorly coded as vBulletin 4 was, at least the last time I tested it out. Here’s a nice summation of the amount of thought that went into it: The programmers decided that changing every separate setting in a style sheet should require a separate screen. There are literally hundreds of variables in a style. That was the point where I determined that I would not be using vBulletin 4. I don’t know if vBulletin 5 is better, or if they got their act together later and fixed the vB4 style; I haven’t looked into the latter for long enough to find out, and I’ve never had access to the admin control panel of the former.

Because this message doesn’t seem “fun” enough, here’s the full version of the quote that inspired my user title in a number of different alphabets and pseudo-alphabets:

I apparently need to install some more character sets for some of these to display in their entirety.

e: Several of these scripts also do not work with Quick Reply.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 10-05-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-04-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Reality Adventurer

If you ever tried to write internationalized software prior to Unicode you would think Unicode to be the very model of a modern character set. But as others have pointed out, you have to think of the subsets of characters culturally, not symbolically. Because that is how the transition was made from the chaos that existed prior to Unicode to today. In a given culture a given symbol can have a different use than the same symbol in another culture. So it gets a different code because its cultural context is different, but it's not symbolically different. There may be a temptation to try to regularize the symbol against the code but it takes a lot of cultural specific knowledge across many cultures to pull it off and it's easier to just give the same symbol as used in the different culture a different code.

Prior to Unicode a given culture would have their own encoding for the same character set often varying across manufacturer, for example ascii vs ebcdic for the English character set. The Japanese code sets where crazy, with not only a different set per manufacturer, but often several different sets within a given manufacturer. Add to that, the very different nature of many Asian character sets vs. western sets and life was crazy for a programmer trying to write code to deal with data sets that could come from anywhere.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
For no easily explicable reason, there are over a dozen alternate “alphabets” defined in the Unicode standard. Some of these aren’t actually intended as alphabets (for example, one of the characters in one of these is actually intended to be the Planck constant), but somehow they got put into the standard anyway. Here are several of them (note that there are no font tags for the text below):

ⒶⒷⒸⒹⒺⒻⒼⒽⒾⒿⓀⓁⓂⓃⓄⓅⓆⓇⓈⓉⓊⓋⓌⓍⓎⓏ ⓐⓑⓒⓓⓔⓕⓖⓗⓘⓙⓚⓛⓜⓝⓞⓟⓠⓡⓢⓣⓤⓥⓦⓧⓨⓩ ⓪①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳
🅐🅑🅒🅓🅔🅕🅖🅗🅘🅙🅚🅛🅜🅝🅞🅟🅠🅡🅢🅣🅤🅥🅦🅧🅨🅩 ⓿❶❷❸❹❺❻❼❽❾❿⓫⓬⓭⓮⓯⓰⓱⓲⓳⓴
🄰🄱🄲🄳🄴🄵🄶🄷🄸🄹🄺🄻🄼🄽🄾🄿🅀🅁🅂🅃🅄🅅🅆🅇🅈🅉
🅰🅱🅲🅳🅴🅵🅶🅷🅸🅹🅺🅻🅼🅽🅾🅿🆀🆁🆂🆃🆄🆅🆆🆇🆈🆉
𝒜ℬ𝒞𝒟ℰℱ𝒢ℋℐ𝒥𝒦ℒℳ𝒩𝒪𝒫𝒬ℛ𝒮𝒯𝒰𝒱𝒲𝒳𝒴𝒵 𝒶𝒷𝒸𝒹ℯ𝒻ℊ𝒽𝒾𝒿𝓀𝓁𝓂𝓃ℴ𝓅𝓆𝓇𝓈𝓉𝓊𝓋𝓌𝓍𝓎𝓏
𝓐𝓑𝓒𝓓𝓔𝓕𝓖𝓗𝓘𝓙𝓚𝓛𝓜𝓝𝓞𝓟𝓠𝓡𝓢𝓣𝓤𝓥𝓦𝓧𝓨𝓩 𝓪𝓫𝓬𝓭𝓮𝓯𝓰𝓱𝓲𝓳𝓴𝓵𝓶𝓷𝓸𝓹𝓺𝓻𝓼𝓽𝓾𝓿𝔀𝔁𝔂𝔃
𝙰𝙱𝙲𝙳𝙴𝙵𝙶𝙷𝙸𝙹𝙺𝙻𝙼𝙽𝙾𝙿𝚀𝚁𝚂𝚃𝚄𝚅𝚆𝚇𝚈𝚉 𝚊𝚋𝚌𝚍𝚎𝚏𝚐𝚑𝚒𝚓𝚔𝚕𝚖𝚗𝚘𝚙𝚚𝚛𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚟𝚠𝚡𝚢𝚣 𝟶𝟷𝟸𝟹𝟺𝟻𝟼𝟽𝟾𝟿
𝔄𝔅ℭ𝔇𝔈𝔉𝔊ℌℑ𝔍𝔎𝔏𝔐𝔑𝔒𝔓𝔔ℜ𝔖𝔗𝔘𝔙𝔚𝔛𝔜ℨ 𝔞𝔟𝔠𝔡𝔢𝔣𝔤𝔥𝔦𝔧𝔨𝔩𝔪𝔫𝔬𝔭𝔮𝔯𝔰𝔱𝔲𝔳𝔴𝔵𝔶𝔷
𝕬𝕭𝕮𝕯𝕰𝕱𝕲𝕳𝕴𝕵𝕶𝕷𝕸𝕹𝕺𝕻𝕼𝕽𝕾𝕿𝖀𝖁𝖂𝖃𝖄𝖅 𝖆𝖇𝖈𝖉𝖊𝖋𝖌𝖍𝖎𝖏𝖐𝖑𝖒𝖓𝖔𝖕𝖖𝖗𝖘𝖙𝖚𝖛𝖜𝖝𝖞𝖟
𝔸𝔹ℂ𝔻𝔼𝔽𝔾ℍ𝕀𝕁𝕂𝕃𝕄ℕ𝕆ℙℚℝ𝕊𝕋𝕌𝕍𝕎𝕏𝕐ℤ 𝕒𝕓𝕔𝕕𝕖𝕗𝕘𝕙𝕚𝕛𝕜𝕝𝕞𝕟𝕠𝕡𝕢𝕣𝕤𝕥𝕦𝕧𝕨𝕩𝕪𝕫 𝟘𝟙𝟚𝟛𝟜𝟝𝟞𝟟𝟠𝟡
𝐴𝐵𝐶𝐷𝐸𝐹𝐺𝐻𝐼𝐽𝐾𝐿𝑀𝑁𝑂𝑃𝑄𝑅𝑆𝑇𝑈𝑉𝑊𝑋𝑌𝑍 𝑎𝑏𝑐𝑑𝑒𝑓𝑔ℎ𝑖𝑗𝑘𝑙𝑚𝑛𝑜𝑝𝑞𝑟𝑠𝑡𝑢𝑣𝑤𝑥𝑦𝑧
𝐀𝐁𝐂𝐃𝐄𝐅𝐆𝐇𝐈𝐉𝐊𝐋𝐌𝐍𝐎𝐏𝐐𝐑𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐕𝐖𝐗𝐘𝐙 𝐚𝐛𝐜𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐠𝐡𝐢𝐣𝐤𝐥𝐦𝐧𝐨𝐩𝐪𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐯𝐰𝐱𝐲𝐳 𝟎𝟏𝟐𝟑𝟒𝟓𝟔𝟕𝟖𝟗
𝑨𝑩𝑪𝑫𝑬𝑭𝑮𝑯𝑰𝑱𝑲𝑳𝑴𝑵𝑶𝑷𝑸𝑹𝑺𝑻𝑼𝑽𝑾𝑿𝒀𝒁 𝒂𝒃𝒄𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒈𝒉𝒊𝒋𝒌𝒍𝒎𝒏𝒐𝒑𝒒𝒓𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒗𝒘𝒙𝒚𝒛
𝖠𝖡𝖢𝖣𝖤𝖥𝖦𝖧𝖨𝖩𝖪𝖫𝖬𝖭𝖮𝖯𝖰𝖱𝖲𝖳𝖴𝖵𝖶𝖷𝖸𝖹 𝖺𝖻𝖼𝖽𝖾𝖿𝗀𝗁𝗂𝗃𝗄𝗅𝗆𝗇𝗈𝗉𝗊𝗋𝗌𝗍𝗎𝗏𝗐𝗑𝗒𝗓 𝟢𝟣𝟤𝟥𝟦𝟧𝟨𝟩𝟪𝟫
𝘈𝘉𝘊𝘋𝘌𝘍𝘎𝘏𝘐𝘑𝘒𝘓𝘔𝘕𝘖𝘗𝘘𝘙𝘚𝘛𝘜𝘝𝘞𝘟𝘠𝘡 𝘢𝘣𝘤𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘨𝘩𝘪𝘫𝘬𝘭𝘮𝘯𝘰𝘱𝘲𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘷𝘸𝘹𝘺𝘻
𝗔𝗕𝗖𝗗𝗘𝗙𝗚𝗛𝗜𝗝𝗞𝗟𝗠𝗡𝗢𝗣𝗤𝗥𝗦𝗧𝗨𝗩𝗪𝗫𝗬𝗭 𝗮𝗯𝗰𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗴𝗵𝗶𝗷𝗸𝗹𝗺𝗻𝗼𝗽𝗾𝗿𝘀𝘁𝘂𝘃𝘄𝘅𝘆𝘇 𝟬𝟭𝟮𝟯𝟰𝟱𝟲𝟳𝟴𝟵
𝘼𝘽𝘾𝘿𝙀𝙁𝙂𝙃𝙄𝙅𝙆𝙇𝙈𝙉𝙊𝙋𝙌𝙍𝙎𝙏𝙐𝙑𝙒𝙓𝙔𝙕 𝙖𝙗𝙘𝙙𝙚𝙛𝙜𝙝𝙞𝙟𝙠𝙡𝙢𝙣𝙤𝙥𝙦𝙧𝙨𝙩𝙪𝙫𝙬𝙭𝙮𝙯
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_
`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ 

The existence of a couple of these alphabets is actually explicable - the last one, for example, is used in Japanese text when Western script gets mixed in, making it blend in better (many, though not all, fonts display these characters with the same width as normal Japanese script, making them read more elegantly). But I can’t begin to explain why there are two complete blackletter or double-struck scripts.

Anyway, as you may have noted, I’m using blackletter script in my custom user title right now to make fun of the tiny-fingered, Cheeto-faced, ferret-wearing shitgibbon. There’s a converter here which includes several alphabets and pseudo-alphabets (note that not all of them are complete, or at least don’t display correctly with the character sets I currently have installed on my computer; also note that most of these characters don’t display correctly in Android, at least not by default).

I’m curious why these characters were included in the Unicode standard, but mostly I’m amused that they exist.

One last set of characters appears to be intended for numbered lists, but again, I’m not sure why this was simpler than simply typing out “1.”, “2.”, etc.

⒈⒉⒊⒋⒌⒍⒎⒏⒐⒑⒒⒓⒔⒕⒖⒗⒘⒙⒚⒛

Finally, the forum admins should perhaps be aware that using “quick edit” on several of these character sets breaks them. I don’t know why; vBulletin is probably poorly coded. It still works better here than it does at my forum, where using these scripts at all simply truncates a message (probably because I actually have my database set encoded as UTF-8, iirc, and vBulletin must not know how to handle this correctly).

e: I wanted to try using Drumpf quotes in Zalgo text, but this doesn’t seem to work with whatever character settings the forum has. Using the results for “I HAVE A WINNING TEMPERAMENT” results in this (spoiler tagged because it stretches the table):

Weird.

e2: Actually, Zalgo text seems to work fine on Windows. Mac OS X doesn’t like it, at least with Firefox. I have no explanation for why this happens.
What I see here are some of the fonts used in printing, and there are many more than just a few dozen, and more are being added all the time. One of my favorites is "Brush" and I am still using it for my cards, along with several other fonts. FYI, this forum only uses 21 that are listed.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology