Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 05-13-2007, 03:20 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Default Re: Start Your Own Goddamned Country

It takes a day for everyone to get listed in the daily UN report for the region. Everyone is listed in the "Regional Happenings" as showing up from somewhere in the Pacific. And a big :wave: to all the new :ffdance: nations! The Freethought Civil Headquarters is getting plenty of action--some great names and great flags! I totally cracked up when I saw Muffdiva, Godfrey. :yup:

Here's the deal with the UN. While the game FAQ says UN member states are supposed to adhere to all the resolutions, in reality there is no mechanism in place enforce resolutions or to ensure that anybody implements new UN policies. Your decisions on local "Issues," which shapes your governmental, social and economic policy, are not affected by UN resolutions whether you are in the UN or not. You could turn your nation into a Psychotic Dictatorship, totally oppress your people and the environment at home, and be a tree-hugging animal-rights bleeding heart John Kerry liberal at the UN.

Kind of like the real world, lol...

It is just another dimension of the gameplay that you can participate in. Or not.

Once we have a regional delegate in the UN, they can propose resolutions and vote yea or nay on the ones other nations are proposing. I have had some fun with this aspect of the game in the past--supporting some wild propositions (someone couple months back kept making proposals in support of various types of pie) and making some of my own--I have one called "Attack The Sun" that has yet to make it to a full vote, but has gotten some interesting responses. For nations that are not the delegate, proposals can be submitted to the regional delegate via "telegram" (basically a pm system) and the delegate can then submit them to the UN on behalf of other nations. This system has worked well in some other regions I have belonged to.

The game is set up so that (supposedly) you cannot have more than one UN nation at a time. You can set up as many puppet states as you want, but only one nation per IP address can join the UN. The admins have like 4 different ways to check to make sure you only have one. I have heard *cough* that there is a way to get around this, but it involves setting up the second UN nation from a totally different ISP, IP and email address *ahem. Anyway, I already have tw-I mean one UN delegate in another region, so someone else is welcome to have the honors here. Everyone who wants should apply to the UN and endorse the other UN nations in our region, and the nation with the most endorsements will become UN Delegate if its a tie then I think it goes to the oldest/most populous nation. In another region I have a puppet in, the UN members have taken turns with the delegate job.

The more endorsements the region's delegate has, then the more clout the delegate's vote has when voting in the UN--if the delegate has 6 endorsements then when they vote yea or nay on resolutions it counts 7--one for themselves plus each endorsement. Some of the larger regions that have hundreds of nations in them (like the Pacific regions you start off in) really swing things in the UN if they want to.

Once we get a UN delegate I will open up the regional controls so they can access the eject button/password menu and World Factbook Entry. At the moment if some other group of nations wanted to take us over they can't because I have the controls closed, and I did not set up password protection, but that might be an avenue we might want to explore at some point in the future. I have found that as long as a region's member nations are vigilant and logging in every day it is pretty tough for invaders to get a foot in the door and a password is unnecessary.

Also, if we should get invaded, as founder I will always have free access to the regional controls and will be able to toss their sorry asses into the Rejected Realms. :camouflage: :whup:

Thanks, from:
livius drusus (05-13-2007), Stormlight (05-13-2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

:innocent:
Old 05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
mesospheric bore

How'd you get to be a "Suborbital People's Front", KA? Do you get to make up your own country type after you've been around a while?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:13 AM
mesospheric bore

Oh, and I have Uranium deposits and none of you are getting any of it! :P
Old 05-13-2007, 10:28 AM
mesospheric bore

The Fragmentians, who for centuries enjoyed the freedom of shifting with the tides, are naturally suspicious of large political entities. However, traditional councils have become consolidated into a massive and intrusive government that now oversees the isles, despite grumblings of discontent about mandatory minimum sail sizes, rudder regulations, and queues for sailing season permits. The bureaucrats are keen to reap the benefits of joining the UN. To date, they've been tight-lipped when asked what those benefits might actually be, but they're sticking to their policy. An application to join will be sent.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
How'd you get to be a "Suborbital People's Front", KA? Do you get to make up your own country type after you've been around a while?
I was wondering the same thing. It was oddly hard to find the answer but:

QuestionHow do I change my nation prefix?/Could you change my nation prefix mods?

AnswerNo, you must have a population of 500+ million, and as Sirocco pointed out, in the "Settings" you change chose from the preassembled list.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
The Fragmentians, who for centuries enjoyed the freedom of shifting with the tides, are naturally suspicious of large political entities. However, traditional councils have become consolidated into a massive and intrusive government that now oversees the isles, despite grumblings of discontent about mandatory minimum sail sizes, rudder regulations, and queues for sailing season permits. The bureaucrats are keen to reap the benefits of joining the UN. To date, they've been tight-lipped when asked what those benefits might actually be, but they're sticking to their policy. An application to join will be sent.
Well if the nomads are applying then so will the Grand Duchy. We're bound to get more out of it just in terms of catered white tie affairs alone.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Wildcard!

I haven't looked for the answer yet but does anybody know offhand how population increases? Does it just happen or is it influenced by actions or settings? Mr. KA has like 3 billion people (!?!?).
Old 05-13-2007, 03:10 PM

I was just wondering that myself, Java. I seem to be highly ranked in the region for the compassion of my populace ( :wha: ) and I've gone from a Minnow power to a Dominator one in a day, but my population count is still the same.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Well if the nomads are applying then so will the Grand Duchy. We're bound to get more out of it just in terms of catered white tie affairs alone.
I joined because someone said there'd be hot looking poolboys there.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Quality Contributor

The Republic of Stormington has joined, too.

Quote:
A tiny private sector is dominated by the Cheese Exports industry.
:van:
:cheese:
Old 05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
I joined because someone said there'd be hot looking poolboys there.
You visit Muffdiva. We have poolboys last long time.

If we run dem around pool couple times, they look hot enough? Gene Simmons hired we did to train pool boys. Dat help?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
Sammichovakia's national animal is the deli meats, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the bread.
:chuckle:
Old 05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight View Post
The Republic of Stormington has joined, too.

Quote:
A tiny private sector is dominated by the Cheese Exports industry.
I think the cheese export business would do a little better if you did things more like this:
Stormlight (05-14-2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM

:giggle:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-13-2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Fishy mokey

There

Quote:
The Emirate of Zimbooba is a tiny, environmentally stunning nation, remarkable for its absence of drug laws. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 5 million are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whoever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.

Crime is well under control. Zimbooba's national animal is the surrender monkey, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the boob.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:47 PM

:w00t: Don't forget to join the 0000 Freethought region.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

:yeahthat:
Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuss Apollo View Post
Also, if we should get invaded, as founder I will always have free access to the regional controls and will be able to toss their sorry asses into the Rejected Realms. :camouflage: :whup:
No worries, I have 'a slick and highly efficient black market in Arms Manufacturing'.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Ok, some more info, and then a question. You guys found the info on naming your region--it's based on how long your nation has been around/population. You'll notice that everyday your population goes up by at least a million. And when you reach 100 million you can then give yourself a custom name, as long as it doesn't offend the game's obscenity filters. Blatant use of four-letter words won't fly, but I had an ally a while back whose nation was called "Phukface" who was a UN delegate. But then he had some employment issues, and lost his internet, then his nation was deleted for lack of participation. Which brings me to the next topic.

Inactivity and Deletion
The game automatically deletes nations that are inactive for 28 days. However, if you put your nation's settings on Vacation, your nation has a 60 day period before getting deleted.

If your nation does get deleted from inactivity, it isn't the end of the world for your citizens, just as long as you registered an email address when you founded your nation. Contact an administrator here, scroll the "Problem Description" menu down to "restore a deleted nation" and tell them the name of your nation and your email address. They will email you and reactivate your nation free of charge.

It will come back in the Lazarus region, land of the resurrected nationstates, at which point you can have the helicopters fly you back to 0000 Freethought.

Adminstrators and Mods
If you are getting abusive telegrams or the region gets crashed by unwelcome migrant states who hijack the UN delegate chair then start illegally ejecting people, just contact a mod and they'll usually straigten everything out in a day or so.

Invaders, Defensive Alliances, and Griefing
Invading a region and taking over is a time-honored tradition in NationStates, and there are entire regions that specialize in that. As long as the invading force doesn't eject/ban the original inhabitants, or illegally gained access somehow to the delegate position or the password (i.e. griefing), swarming a region and hijacking the delegate position via legitimate endorsements does not constitute a violation of the game's rules. Meanwhile there are other groups of nations who have dedicated themselves to forming defense alliances that try to oust the invaders and restore power to the original regional inhabitants.

In other regions I belong to that aren't terribly active, several times the region has been invaded, counterinvaded, and restored in about 2 or 3 days--and no one even notice since everyone there only stopped in to check on their nations once or twice a week. Once we were all ejected, sent to the Rejected Realms by the invaders, then the incident was reported by a defensive alliance who had the invaders banned and gotten the admins to restore us--before any of us even realized it. Kind of like coming out of a blackout to find out you were married and divorced over the weekend...

It is part of the gameplay (if you want to) to form alliances with other regions for the purpose of mutual defense and for mutual support of UN proposals--this often takes place through the medium of telegrams. Also, recruiters for other regions may send telegrams or even temporarily join in order to spam the Civil Headquarters with adverts for their regions. This used to be a time-honored means of building up new members, but recently the powers that be limited Civil Headquarters Spam to the Pacific and the Rejected Realms. Still, some people still do it. There are also bizarro nations, like the NationStates Bunny, whose entire raison d'être is to briefly visit every single region in the game, but otherwise are mostly harmless. :pancakebunny:

Like joining the UN, all this is left up to the individual. As individual states you can respond to offers to form alliances or join another region, or not, and the same goes with our region. We can form alliances and even go off and invade other regions if we want to. Or just stay at home and spam the Civil Headquarters. The game doesn't place many demands other than just showing up once a month to keep the place open.

Regional Influence
The "Regional Influence" monitor was a recently added innovation, which makes it a bit more difficult for renegade invader nations to oust entire communities of longtime inhabitants of a region or seriously mess things up. With the exception of the founder, UN delegates use up a certain amount of influence in order to do anything in the "Regional Settings," like change the World Factbook Entry (which can be easily vandalized by invaders) or eject member nations with significant regional seniority.

At the moment, no one else can "Enter Regional Control," which means that even if we did get swarmed, invaders wouldn't be able to do much, or anything, actually. However, I would be happy to open up the regional controls to our UN delegate if you guys want me to.

Informal Poll:

___Yea to opening regional control to the UN Delegate.

This will allow the delegate to be able to set a password, eject/ban member states, and change the World Factbook. It also means that should we get invaded, the new UN delegate chosen by the invaders would also have this access.

___Nay to opening regional control to the UN Delegate.

This would leave things the way it is, with only the founder (myself) having access to the aforesaid controls. It would make our region unappealing to invaders since the whole point of invading a region is to gain access to the controls, but also means that no one other than myself has access to them.

Last edited by Kyuss Apollo; 05-13-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-14-2007), livius drusus (05-14-2007), Stormlight (05-15-2007)
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM

I vote nay 'cause I'm not interested in battling invaders.

I wanna be the delegate so endorse me, UNers!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I, as benevolent dictator of Dingfodistan, unequivocally state that my position on the poll question be that of "Nay" as well.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Muffdiva buries it's head and says nay.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

How do I endorse a UN delegate?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Fishy mokey

Zimbooba votes nay too.