Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2019, 07:37 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Default The electric computer and how she is programmed

Seven years into my legal career in this industry I am pretty bored and starting to think about what is next. I think it's respectable to be able to say "I was a lawyer in pharma for 10 years" as background, so I am looking 3-4 years out right now.

Problem is that while I have a fairly marketable skill set, the valuable part of it SUPER NARROW and pretty much exists only in my industry. It is not easy to escape the industry without some other skills.

I am thinking about doing some non-degree classes in computer science just to see if I am still interested in that. I started college in comp sci before I figured out that I like human languages more and went into that. But there are still some elements of it that appeal to me, like organizing and manipulating data and breaking big problems into small problems to solve them. I did like intro to C, intro to C++, I forget what else.

I do not have any illusions about becoming some hot shit Ensign Steve-type developer, because I know I do not have the brain or disposition for that. I am more of a tinkerer, and I have a few ideas for some specific projects based on a few things I do now that could be worth a little bit of filthy lucre. I don't think I will stop being a lawyer and starting doing this. It is more likely I will continue to be legal or legal-proximate, but maybe just in a different field.

So, for you :ff:ers who know this kind of stuff: the particular course of study I am thinking about has basic and advanced Java, C, assembly (obviously one of the later courses, I hope), and some data structures and other classes. Assuming I do not get bored and bail - big assumption there - is it plausible that I could get reasonably good at any of those with practice, or pick up additional languages that may be more specialized? (Like, a couple of my ideas would probably require R.)

Also, uh, I do not even remember if I took calculus through Cal 1 or Cal 2 because it was in high school. I took a calculus class in college like 15 years ago but did not go to class because it was basically my high school class again. I should probably take a refresher...unless I can fake it? Should I try to fake it? CALCULUS, DO YOU USE IT?
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-20-2019), ceptimus (06-20-2019), Ensign Steve (06-20-2019), JoeP (06-20-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-20-2019), Pyrrho (06-21-2019), slimshady2357 (06-20-2019), SR71 (06-20-2019), Stormlight (06-24-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall