Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 10-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Default Re: What the fuck, Florida?

The new FL Surgeon General seems like a real peach. Can we safely assume "That's OK" translates to "Don't worry; your cancer isn't contagious so I don't need a mask to protect me"?

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-25-2021), beyelzu (10-26-2021), JoeP (10-25-2021), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-26-2021), LarsMac (10-26-2021), lisarea (10-25-2021), mickthinks (10-25-2021), slimshady2357 (10-26-2021), Sock Puppet (10-25-2021), viscousmemories (10-25-2021)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:56 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

So you've just bought meth at a bar and are worried you might have gotten ripped off? The solution is obvious: call 911 and arrange for a test.

On a slightly less hilarious note, Florida will now have its very own dedicated election pigs. County election officials are somewhat relieved because the legislature gave DeSantis less money and fewer election cops than he wanted, but still ... holy fuck.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
JoeP (03-11-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-12-2022), slimshady2357 (03-12-2022), Sock Puppet (03-11-2022), viscousmemories (03-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:48 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

The avatar of Florida Man.

Thanks, from:
JoeP (04-12-2022), Sock Puppet (04-13-2022), viscousmemories (04-12-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 09:56 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Arizona is the Florida of the southwest, so here:

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (04-15-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 06:32 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-18-2022), JoeP (04-16-2022), viscousmemories (07-13-2023)
Old 08-19-2022, 06:40 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

This could go lots of places, but What the fuck, Florida? is once again in need of some love.

Florida's "Individual Freedom Act" prohibits schools and employers from talking about talking about "Woke" shit, where "woke" = stuff wingnuts dislike and oppose. Unsurprisingly, the law is being challenged on First Amendment grounds in multiple cases. Here, a federal judge enjoins the law in a case brought by multiple employers. That opinion is money.

Quote:
In the popular television series Stranger Things, the “upside down” describes a parallel dimension containing a distorted version of our world. See Stranger Things (Netflix 2022). Recently, Florida has seemed like a First Amendment upside down. Normally, the First Amendment bars the state from burdening speech, while private actors may burden speech freely. But in Florida, the First Amendment apparently bars private actors from burdening speech, while the state may burden speech freely. Compare NetChoice, LLC v. Moody, 546 F. Supp. 3d 1082, 1084 (N.D. Fla. 2021), with § 760.10(8)(a)–(b), Fla. Stat.

Now, like the heroine in Stranger Things, this Court is once again asked to pull Florida back from the upside down.

. . .

In the end, Defendants suggest that there is nothing to see here. They say the IFA does nothing more than ban race discrimination in employment. But to compare the diversity trainings Plaintiffs wish to hold to true hostile work environments rings hollow. Worse still, “it trivializes the freedom protected” by Title VII and the FCRA “to suggest that” the two are the same. FAIR, 547 U.S. at 62.

Just imagine two scenarios. In the first scenario, a Black employee complains about a mandatory safety training scheduled on Juneteenth. Then, at a mandatory training the day before Juneteenth, “to the surprise of the employees in attendance, a white woman in a black gorilla suit enter[s] the meeting.” Henry v. CorpCar Servs. Hous., Ltd., 625 F. App’x 607, 608 (5th Cir. 2015). As one of the managers blocks the only exit, the woman does “Tarzan yells and repeatedly refer[s] in a suggestive manner to ‘big black lips,’ ‘big black butt,’ and bananas.” Id. As the woman dances suggestively on one of the Black employees who had complained, another manager leans in and says: “Here’s your Juneteenth.” Id. In the second scenario, a company directs a White employee to attend a mandatory training in which employees watch “a video about violence committed against Black people in the United States over the centuries.” ECF No. 18-3 at 4. After the video, the presenter defines “Black rage”—“resistance towards oppressive people, practices, structures, and systems”— and “White Humility”—“a reflective practice that helps white people develop [the] capacity to interrupt white supremacy”—and asks Black and White participants to discuss them. Id. at 4, 12, 14.

These two scenarios, under Defendants’ theory, are indistinguishable. Indeed, Defendants say, to hold that the state may not ban the latter scenario is to hold that it may not ban the former. ECF No. 49 at 27 (arguing that a ruling for Plaintiffs would doom “a vast range of routine employment discrimination claims”). “If the law supposes that, the law is an ass, an idiot.” Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist 463 (3d ed. The New American Library 1961). But the law is neither an ass nor an idiot. It can tell the difference.

Telling your employees that concepts such as “normal” or “professional” are imbued with historically based racial biases is not—and it pains this Court to have to say this—the same as trapping Black employees in a room while a woman in a gorilla suit puts on a retaliatory, racially inflammatory performance the day before a holiday celebrating the end of slavery. Rather, it is speech protected by the First Amendment.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-22-2022), Ensign Steve (08-19-2022), JoeP (08-21-2022), lisarea (08-19-2022), slimshady2357 (08-19-2022), Sock Puppet (08-19-2022), viscousmemories (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 07:29 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Are you sure that's not a woman?
-FX- (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 09:42 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Locally-acquired malaria cases, eh? And:

Quote:
Florida's Bureau of Epidemiology, which is tasked with tracking and preventing communicable diseases, had been without a chief since last month. An administrator position for its surveillance program has been vacant since March.
That's hard to believe in a state like Florida, which has a surgeon general who is paragon of . . . oh wait, n/m. That guy's an anti-vax quack who faked research results. No matter, though. Public health and safety is woke anyway.

Thanks, from:
JoeP (07-13-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-12-2023), slimshady2357 (07-13-2023), viscousmemories (07-13-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 10:39 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
Quote:

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 07-12-2023, 10:56 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Effie, I'll see your Daily Mail bollox and raise you a Sunday Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
Quote:
ChuckF (07-12-2023), JoeP (07-13-2023), slimshady2357 (07-13-2023), Stephen Maturin (07-13-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 11:57 PM
Forum gadfly

Florida trans man wants a uterus transplant, so he can have an abortion.

Quote:
It would require a grueling series of operations, but transgender women now see hope that they could one day become pregnant — despite having been born biological males — thanks to pioneering uterus transplant surgery.

“I hope it becomes a reality,” said Chastity Bowick, 30, a medical case manager in Worcester, Mass. “I absolutely would be willing to do it.”

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 07-13-2023, 04:51 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Does that have something to do with Florida?
LarsMac (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 05:11 PM
Forum gadfly

Anything I post does

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 07-13-2023, 05:12 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Oh, are you a resident of Florida?
Old 07-13-2023, 05:23 PM
Forum gadfly

I AM FLORIDA MAN!

- Richard P. Feynman
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 05:23 PM
Forum gadfly

I thought you knew

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 07-14-2023, 02:10 AM
Pontificating Old Fart

Quote:
I AM FLORIDA MAN!
Gee, I'm somehow not surprised.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Oh, I'm an idiot the first word was Florida. I'm only running on 1/4 of a brain most of time...
Old 07-14-2023, 09:24 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Quote:

Quote:
It would require a grueling series of operations, but transgender women now see hope that they could one day become pregnant — despite having been born biological males — thanks to pioneering uterus transplant surgery.

“I hope it becomes a reality,” said Chastity Bowick, 30, a medical case manager in Worcester, Mass. “I absolutely would be willing to do it.”
A transman would likely have been born with a uterus, and would not need a transplant. A transwoman who was given a uterus transplant could be expected to want it for a reason other than to have an abortion.

:clown:s gonna :clown:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-15-2023), Crumb (07-14-2023), JoeP (07-15-2023), slimshady2357 (07-15-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 09:58 PM
Forum gadfly

My God, it's not like you have no sense of humor. You actually have no sense of humor.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 07-14-2023, 10:21 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Quote:
My God, it's not like you have no sense of humor. You actually have no sense of humor.
You need not refer to me as a deity of any sort. Neither my dog nor my cat accords me that status.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-15-2023), JoeP (07-15-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 10:48 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShottleBop View Post
Quote:

Quote:

A transman would likely have been born with a uterus, and would not need a transplant. A transwoman who was given a uterus transplant could be expected to want it for a reason other than to have an abortion.

:clown:s gonna :clown:
Maybe, they could work out some sort of "swap program" where Donor/recipients can get on a list to swap parts, kind of like they do with kidneys and stuff.

Though, I gotta say, that has to be off the list of stuff Medicaid pays for.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:57 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
You pissed away any benefit of the doubt ages ago.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (07-15-2023), JoeP (07-15-2023), mickthinks (07-23-2023), slimshady2357 (07-15-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 06:36 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

"Florida textbooks might say those Jews learned valuable baking skills."

Thanks, from:
Ari (07-22-2023), BrotherMan (07-23-2023), ChuckF (07-22-2023), JoeP (07-22-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-22-2023), lisarea (07-23-2023), ShottleBop (07-22-2023), Sock Puppet (07-25-2023), viscousmemories (07-23-2023), Zehava (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 06:50 PM
Forum gadfly

At least Florida doesn't just make shit up

- Richard P. Feynman

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law