Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: More Texas textbook shenanigans

Oh for fuck's sake

Quote:
Both are named Bill Martin and, for now, neither is being added to Texas schoolbooks.

In its haste to sort out the state's social studies curriculum standards this month, the State Board of Education tossed children's author Martin, who died in 2004, from a proposal for the third-grade section. Board member Pat Hardy, R-Weatherford, who made the motion, cited books he had written for adults that contain "very strong critiques of capitalism and the American system."

Trouble is, the Bill Martin Jr. who wrote the Brown Bear series never wrote anything political, unless you count a book that taught kids how to say the Pledge of Allegiance, his friends said. The book on Marxism was written by Bill Martin, a philosophy professor at DePaul University in Chicago.

Hardy's motion is "a new low in terms of the group that's supposed to represent education having such faulty research and making such a false leap without substantiating what they're doing," said Michael Sampson, Martin's co-author on 30 children's books.

As trustees worked their way through a draft this month, political ideas like imperialism, communism and free enterprise were at the heart of some of the changes.
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (01-28-2010), Nullifidian (01-28-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Karma is Rael

Last edited by 256 colors; 01-29-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-28-2010), LadyShea (01-28-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM

In a kinda related thing, I was reading about the University of California system (nations largest) not counting certain Christian high school curricula in their admissions process (went to court, UC won). I wonder if Texas realizes that if they get their way it may lead to their students being limited in their college choices?
Thanks, from:
256 colors (01-28-2010), Crumb (01-28-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM

How Christian Were the Founders? - NYTimes.com

Progress Ohio | Dave Harding's Blog: Our Founders were NOT Fundamentalists, by Harvey Wasserman
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Babby Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea

Somebody help me with the "incorporation by reference" of the DoI in the Constitution. Where?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 AM
professional left-winger

I was trying to find the transcript to a piece I heard on NPR last week, but I don't remember what the show was or what day it aired. But I did find this while I was looking: "Evolution is hooey"
Crumb (02-16-2010), LadyShea (05-12-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
Next week, gymnastics.
Just to clarify, all 3 (American) Olympic all-around gold medalists are from Texas. It's home to one of the best elite gymnastics training centers in the world. ;)
viscousmemories (02-16-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
I was trying to find the transcript to a piece I heard on NPR last week, but I don't remember what the show was or what day it aired.
Clearly an impressive piece! :giggle:
Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey
I was trying to find the transcript to a piece I heard on NPR last week, but I don't remember what the show was or what day it aired.
Clearly an impressive piece! :giggle:
It was, considering I heard only a few moments while in my car. It may have been an short interview about this article, but I can't say for sure.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Some good news! Crazy ideologue McLeroy has been replaced by someone who has some common sense, at least according to this statement:

Quote:
“As an educator, I see the question of curriculum and textbook content as a simple task; both should be agenda free,” he said.
Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (03-03-2010), freemonkey (03-12-2010), livius drusus (03-13-2010), Nullifidian (03-03-2010), Qingdai (03-04-2010), Watser? (03-03-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-15-2010), Clutch Munny (03-12-2010), Crumb (03-12-2010), LadyShea (03-13-2010), Nullifidian (03-13-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Jesus, I really thought that shit would get the smackdown. Is it, I dunno, Constitutional? Can it be challenged?
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (03-12-2010), Nullifidian (03-13-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
California Sober

That's your liberal commie education showing through, there, LS. Hopefully the next generation can be spared the same. :sadno:
LadyShea (03-13-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Goddamn right! My hippy parents taught me to challenge! Of course these days that means suing, but still, I am just like Rosa Parks!
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-15-2010), lisarea (03-12-2010), livius drusus (03-13-2010), Nullifidian (03-13-2010), Stephen Maturin (03-12-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 PM
California Sober

You are the Rosa Parks of forum posters. :unnod:
Adam (03-15-2010), Crumb (03-12-2010), Deadlokd (03-13-2010), LadyShea (03-12-2010), lisarea (03-12-2010), livius drusus (03-13-2010), Nullifidian (03-13-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Gawd, Texas education sucks so hard.

Can't we do something to get rid of those people?

If we could just mindcontrol Glenn Beck, we could get him to lead them all off a cliff or something.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

First the good news:
"The board, whose members are elected, has influence beyond Texas because the state is one of the largest purchasers of textbooks. In the digital age, however, that influence has been diminished as technological advances have made it possible for publishers to tailor books to individual states. " From the New York Times article.
Also is any one lawyer here going to claim the $1,000 for the proof of seperation of church and state?
Can I borrow a twenty on that?
Don't you need some mad money, ChuckF?
Thanks, from:
freemonkey (03-12-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Dark Lord, on the Dark Throne

There was a segment on APM's Marketplace radio show this week. The short version: a national set of educational standards is in the works.
48 states have signed on to the national curriculum.

Texas - as you might guess - opted out. Texas standards have for years set publishing standards, since they're such a large market. But now with this national standard, that isn't likely to be the case much longer. Texas does not want to see their influence as The Decider watered down.

But the movement appears poised to set up a national educational standard, whether Texas signs on or not. This will likely result in a new textbook curriculum designed to address the requirements of this standard. Texbook publishers are happy about this, because the current patchwork of school districts and special requests from education boards makes it hard to realize economies of scale in the publishing business.

My guess is that Texas' attempt to re-write US history and substitute WASP fantasy has more to do with offering a stark choice to the national curriculum, in hopes of retaining Texas' influence at least over like-minded school districts.
Adam (03-15-2010), freemonkey (03-13-2010), LadyShea (03-13-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Dark Lord, on the Dark Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post

Damn lawyers.
Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among the conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)
Old 03-13-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
In the field of sociology, another conservative member, Barbara Cargill, won passage of an amendment requiring the teaching of “the importance of personal responsibility for life choices” in a section on teenage suicide, dating violence, sexuality, drug use and eating disorders.
So if you're a suicidal teen or one who has been date raped, the far-right would like you to sit around class thinking about how this is your fault.

Geez, and I thought the Red Center scene in The Handmaid's Tale was meant to be fiction. "Teach her a lesson" indeed.

To quote Billy Mays, "But wait! There's more!"

Quote:
“The topic of sociology tends to blame society for everything,” Ms. Cargill said.
Yeah, funny how a discipline like sociology tends to emphasize social explanations for phenomena. What a fucktard. :facepalm:

Ironically, one of the classic texts in sociology, a foundational work of quantitative sociology, is Émile Durkheim's Suicide. Durkheim was a conservative, not that I'd expect any of the dittoheads who style themselves as 'conservatives' to know that.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 03-13-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-15-2010), Clutch Munny (03-13-2010), freemonkey (03-13-2010), LadyShea (03-13-2010), Watser? (03-13-2010), Ymir's blood (03-13-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 04:09 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
He also won approval for an amendment stressing that Germans and Italians as well as Japanese were interned in the United States during World War II, to counter the idea that the internment of Japanese was motivated by racism.
Wow, really? You're really going to dismiss the atrocity of our government turning on legal American citizens with constitutional rights, stripping them of those rights and boxing them up in freedom camps. Yep not racist as all.

Edit to add: Isn't that a little like saying "America's not racist because we kill both gooks and ragheads."

Last edited by Ari; 03-13-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-13-2010), Sauron (03-14-2010), Ymir's blood (03-13-2010)
Old 03-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Babby Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Damn Regent University School of Law lawyers.
:fixed:
Clutch Munny (03-13-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Northier Than Thou

I see a new website - History for Texans.

:germany: :tx: :co: :ca: :wy: :nv: :il: :navajonation: :az: :tx: :ak:
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM

So lawyers, can it be challenged? They forgot to hide their motives, so there's plenty of evidence that this was done to insert religion into the public schools...seems like a CSS issue to me.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimshack View Post
I see a new website - History for Texans.
A work in progress:

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning there was the void, and seeing the void God said, "This shit right pisses me off." And God created heaven and earth. Seeing that all was good God rested.

Genesis 1:2 But the Earth was barren so God said, "Damn this place is boring." And God created al the plants on the land, all the fishes in the sea, all the birds in the sky, cattle, pigs, donkeys, sheep, goats, cats, dogs, horses, zebra, wallabies, platypus.. (you get the picture). Seeing that all was good God rested.

Genesis 1:3 The plants began to whither and the animals to cower and God said, "Oh yeah, LIGHT!" And there was light. The plants grew and the animals flourished. Seeing that all was good God rested.

Genesis 1:4 Looking upon his creation God said, "I'm going to need somebody to manage this place for me because it is already geting out of hand." And God created Man, and that man was Sam Houston. Seeing that all was good God rested.

Genesis 1:5 Surveying all that he could see, Sam Houston said, "This is good land, I can thrive here. I shall call this land, Texas." The land of Texas was vast and Sam found that he required help managing it so he called upon God. "God, this is Sam Houston. I'm going to need a little help managing this land I have called Texas." God noted that Sam had a point created the first Texans. Seeing that all was good God rested.

Texas 1:1 Gathering all the Texan too him Sam spoke, "God has given us this land that we should sheppard it and live here for eternity." The Texans cheered and set about shaping the land of Texas to suit their needs.

Texas 1:2 Years passed and the Texans thrived and multiplied in Texas, inventing such things as democracy, capitalism, republicans, the oil industry and an unhealthy influence over the textbook publishing industry. Sam Houston spent his days traveling the land of Texas making sure that all was going well. It was during one of these sojourns in the south of Texas that Sam Houston that he came upon a man he had never seen before. This puzzled Sam.

Texas 1:3 Seeking to know more of the man he had seen Sam spoke to God. "God it's Sam again. Yesterday I saw a man I had never seen before. Who is he?". And God spoke to Sam, "Oh him. That's just Antonia Lopez de Santa Anna, he is a Messican from the land of Messico. Yeah and I may have led him to believe that this land belongs to him and his people. Sorry."
Adam (03-15-2010), Crumb (03-15-2010), Kael (03-15-2010), LadyShea (03-15-2010), Nullifidian (03-15-2010), Sock Puppet (03-15-2010), Watser? (03-15-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law