Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Responsible Gun Owners Thrad

We have a "morons with guns" thrad, but sometimes that just isn't sufficient to describe the heinous crap that comes out of this country, so here's one for the worse cases that can't be described as merely moronic but veer straight into the sociopathic. (For the sarcasm-impaired and mickthinks, the thread title is facetious).

To start with:

Arkansas man guns down 15-year-old girl for egging son’s car as a prank | The Raw Story

Oh, Look, More Terrible People with Terrible Defenses of ‘Stand Your Ground’

It's probably also worth noting George Zimmerman #2, acquitted of murdering the child he actually murdered but convicted of attempted murder for the children he didn't murder. I don't really get that, but forget it Jake, it's Florida.

12 People Pretty Sure This Fellow Tried To Kill All These Children, Not Sure About the One He Succeeded With

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 02-18-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-18-2014), bornfree2think (03-04-2014), Clutch Munny (02-26-2014), Crumb (02-18-2014), ImGod (02-18-2014), Janet (02-18-2014), Kyuss Apollo (02-18-2014), LadyShea (02-18-2014), Nullifidian (02-18-2014), Sock Puppet (02-18-2014), SR71 (02-18-2014), Stephen Maturin (02-26-2014), The Lone Ranger (04-15-2014), Watser? (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

Default Re: Responsible Gun Owners Thrad

I didn't shoot anyone yesterday. Even though I was forced by the 3 girls in my family to watch Olympic pairs ice dancing.

Seems responsible.

But then again I wasn't watching as much as dozing off so maybe that doesn't count.

This thread did make me realize I forgot to move the ammo I was storing in oven.

10 ways to hide firearms and ammunition
Stephen Maturin (02-26-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Update:

Quote:
It's probably also worth noting George Zimmerman #2, acquitted of murdering the child he actually murdered but convicted of attempted murder for the children he didn't murder. I don't really get that, but forget it Jake, it's Florida.
I was wrong about the acquittal; it was a hung jury and apparently the state can and probably will retry. Still depressing that they weren't able to get a conviction, but not as depressing as I thought it was.

More on ThinkProgress.

Meanwhile, I don't even have to say anything beyond "NRA" and "Missouri" and the rest of this story probably fills itself in, doesn't it?

NRA: Missouri Senate’s Greatest Crime Is Not Loving Guns Enough

(this might be better suited for another thrad but I'm too lazy to find one because I have work in a moment)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Last edited by The Man; 02-18-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-18-2014), Crumb (02-18-2014), Janet (02-19-2014), lisarea (02-19-2014), SR71 (02-18-2014), The Lone Ranger (04-15-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 AM

NRA is anti-gun

Ban

and so are the Republicans

Ban II

If you want laws forcing schools to allow guns, practice what you preach. Bunch of gun grabbing hippy freaks.
Dingfod (02-27-2014), lisarea (02-19-2014), Stephen Maturin (02-26-2014), Watser? (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 PM

Who Will Florida Blind Guy Who Killed Drinkin’ Buddy Kill Next?

tl;dr: he got his guns back

this could easily have gone in the florida thread as well (because it's florida) but this thread was higher up the new posts list

Thanks, from:
Adam (02-25-2014), Janet (02-27-2014), lisarea (02-25-2014), Nullifidian (02-26-2014), SR71 (02-26-2014), Stephen Maturin (02-26-2014), Watser? (02-25-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Here is an extremely responsible gun owner trying to proactively establish the rules of engagement for on-campus shootings:

Quote:
BOISE, Idaho — TO the chief counsel of the Idaho State Legislature:

In light of the bill permitting guns on our state’s college and university campuses, which is likely to be approved by the state House of Representatives in the coming days, I have a matter of practical concern that I hope you can help with: When may I shoot a student?

I am a biology professor, not a lawyer, and I had never considered bringing a gun to work until now. But since many of my students are likely to be armed, I thought it would be a good idea to even the playing field.

I have had encounters with disgruntled students over the years, some of whom seemed quite upset, but I always assumed that when they reached into their backpacks they were going for a pencil. Since I carry a pen to lecture, I did not feel outgunned; and because there are no working sharpeners in the lecture hall, the most they could get off is a single point. But now that we’ll all be packing heat, I would like legal instruction in the rules of classroom engagement.

At present, the harshest penalty available here at Boise State is expulsion, used only for the most heinous crimes, like cheating on Scantron exams. But now that lethal force is an option, I need to know which infractions may be treated as de facto capital crimes.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-28-2014), BrotherMan (02-28-2014), ceptimus (03-01-2014), Clutch Munny (03-04-2014), Crumb (02-28-2014), Dingfod (02-28-2014), Ensign Steve (03-02-2014), Janet (02-28-2014), JoeP (03-03-2014), Kael (03-01-2014), lisarea (02-28-2014), Nullifidian (03-01-2014), Pan Narrans (03-01-2014), S.Vashti (02-28-2014), Sock Puppet (02-28-2014), Stephen Maturin (02-28-2014), Stormlight (04-15-2014), The Lone Ranger (04-15-2014), The Man (02-28-2014), Vivisectus (03-03-2014), Watser? (03-03-2014), wei yau (03-04-2014), Zehava (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Not entirely on-topic, but ...

Former Virginia Attorney General Ken "Cooch" Cuccinelli is out of work. He's not the AG anymore, and despite a fuckton of teabilly bona fides he actually managed to lose the race for Virginia governor to a fucking Clintonite.

Well, he WAS out of work. Cooch is now principal in Virginia Self Defense Law, a law firm dedicated to protecting the right of all yuns responsible gun owners out there. For as little as $8.33 per month, you can purchase a retainer agreement under which Cooch and his firm will defend you when the government harasses you for shooting a colored murderous thug in self-defense or otherwise tries to enforce regulations that unduly burden your Second Amendment right to keep, bear and of course use firearms.

Don't be like poor George Zimmerman, who racked up over $300K in attorney fees defending his right to stalk and slaughter a colored murderous thug in self-defense. Retain Cooch & Co. today!

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-03-2014), BrotherMan (02-28-2014), ceptimus (03-01-2014), Dingfod (02-28-2014), Ensign Steve (03-02-2014), Janet (03-01-2014), Nullifidian (03-01-2014), The Man (02-28-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Compensating for something...

"Litigation insurance" for private citizens is hardly new nor confined to firearms. I keep getting mailers from AOPA suggesting I sign on for it.
Stephen Maturin (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Tanker View Post
"Litigation insurance" for private citizens is hardly new
That's a true fact. Motor vehicle liability coverage, keeping an attorney on retainer ... lots of arrangements can fairly be characterized as litigation insurance.

Quote:
nor confined to firearms.
"Confined"? Clearly not. I was a little flabbergasted about applicability. Judging from Cooch's new enterprise, there's a not-inconsiderable number of people thinking along the lines of, "I carry a firearm and thus it's a very good idea for me to keep a lawyer on retainer for the very real possibility that I'll kill someone." That's ... disturbing.

Quote:
I keep getting mailers from AOPA suggesting I sign on for it.
Is that the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association? Didn't know you're a flyer.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Compensating for something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
nor confined to firearms.
"Confined"? Clearly not. I was a little flabbergasted about applicability. Judging from Cooch's new enterprise, there's a not-inconsiderable number of people thinking along the lines of, "I carry a firearm and thus it's a very good idea for me to keep a lawyer on retainer for the very real possibility that I'll kill someone." That's ... disturbing.
I don't see why it's necessarily disturbing, especially in States which don't have a law conferring immunity from suit even if no unlawful conduct was concluded. The original reason for carrying a firearm in the first place is insurance, for the very real (albeit also very rare) possibility that they may rather need one. If you're carrying a firearm, it's because you're prepared to kill someone to begin with. That said, I personally wouldn't spend the money on insurance.
Quote:
Quote:
I keep getting mailers from AOPA suggesting I sign on for it.
Is that the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association? Didn't know you're a flyer.
Yes. Sort of in remission, I've not flown in about five months. I must check the date of my medical, now I think of it...
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Deputies: 7 Year-Old Accidentally Shot, Killed

Quote:
Lexington, S.C. (WOLO)--Lexington County deputies say a 5-year old accidentally shot and killed a 7-year old and injured a 5-year old at a birthday party in Gaston Saturday.

Investigators say the child accidentally grabbed a loaded rifle when he was looking to grab a toy gun stored in the trunk of a car.
The parents should be charged, but it is not yet clear if they will be.

Thanks, from:
Janet (04-15-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 PM

You Should Listen to This Responsible Gun Owner Murder These Teenagers, Even Though You Do Not Want To

The title is not an exaggeration, but you probably are better off not listening to the audio clip.

This is probably the worst story in this thread yet.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-02-2014), Janet (05-10-2014), lisarea (05-02-2014), MonCapitan2002 (05-16-2014), Nullifidian (05-28-2014), SR71 (05-03-2014), Stephen Maturin (05-02-2014), Stormlight (05-16-2014), Watser? (05-16-2014), Zehava (05-16-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Thanks, from:
Janet (05-10-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

The view from Europe of one of those Montana killings ...

BBC News - German student Diren Dede killed in 'castle doctrine' case

from the linkCelal Dede said he would not have allowed his son to study in the US had he been aware of the lenient gun laws. "I didn't think for one night that everyone here can kill somebody just because that person entered his back yard," Mr Dede told the German news agency dpa.
Janet (05-10-2014), lisarea (05-03-2014), SR71 (05-03-2014), Stephen Maturin (05-03-2014), Stormlight (05-16-2014), The Man (05-03-2014), Watser? (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 AM

Mother Jones ran a very depressing exposé about some of the sociopaths who harass women who advocate for gun control:
Quote:
As Longdon sat waiting for her flight, a screen in the concourse showed footage of the press conference. A tall, thin man standing nearby stared at Longdon, then back at the screen. Then he walked up to Longdon and spat in her face. No one else blinked.

Longdon was shocked and embarrassed, she told me, but she didn’t falter. “Wow, aren’t you a big man,” she said as he turned and walked away. Instead of calling for security, she wheeled herself to a restroom to clean herself off. She was tired—she lives with constant physical pain—and didn’t want to miss her flight.

After a fundraiser one night during the program, Longdon returned home around 10 p.m., parked her ramp-equipped van and began unloading herself. As she wheeled up to her house, a man stepped out of the shadows. He was dressed in black and had a rifle, “like something out of a commando movie,” Longdon told me. He took aim at her and pulled the trigger. Longdon was hit with a stream of water. “Don’t you wish you had a gun now, bitch?” he scoffed before taking off.
She was also subjected to threats of rape and murder, of course.

If you're like me and can't handle news like this without snark, Wonkette has you covered. Meanwhile, John Cole asks the million-dollar question.

edit: also, too, bonus story:

SC woman fires shot at friend to test his bulletproof vest but she misses, and he’s dead

Beyond the soooooooper genius involved in testing a bulletproof vest while someone is wearing it (note: they just protect from puncture wounds even if the bullet actually hits the vest, they don't prevent you from dying from internal bleeding sustained from the impact of the bullet), there's also the crippling levels of dumb involved in the fact that "testing" a bulletproof vest ruins it. As in, once it's been hit with a bullet, it won't work again.

Darwin Award candidate right here.

Last edited by The Man; 05-16-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-16-2014), Janet (05-16-2014), lisarea (05-16-2014), Nullifidian (05-28-2014), Pan Narrans (05-16-2014), Watser? (05-16-2014), Zehava (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
You Should Listen to This Responsible Gun Owner Murder These Teenagers, Even Though You Do Not Want To

The title is not an exaggeration, but you probably are better off not listening to the audio clip.

This is probably the worst story in this thread yet.
It is people like this guy that will ensure my philosophical support of the death penalty. This man engaged in premeditated murder and as far as I am concerned, deserves to have his life taken from him in turn.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:15 PM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
No one else blinked.
Fucking what? Am I alone in finding that one of the most depressing parts of the story?
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-16-2014), lisarea (05-16-2014), Nullifidian (05-28-2014), Pan Narrans (05-16-2014), The Man (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Sometimes, when you see something really bizarre or shocking, you question your own perceptions.

So imagine you're in an airport terminal, you think you see a man walk up to a woman in a wheelchair and spit on her, but she just says something pithy to him and nobody moves to stop the guy or whatever, you probably just figure you must not have seen what you thought you did.

It's sort of like the bystander effect, except that it's not just that you're expecting someone else to do something, but to simply confirm that what you saw really happened.

(I suspect that's the reason that people like to fantasize about how they'd react in outrageous scenarios. They're priming themselves to be able to respond.)
Thanks, from:
Adam (05-16-2014), BrotherMan (05-16-2014), Janet (05-16-2014), JoeP (05-16-2014), Nullifidian (05-28-2014), Sock Puppet (05-19-2014), Stormlight (05-28-2014), The Man (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Fishy mokey

There was this hitman-style murder here in town once, where someone shot a guy in front of a huge crowd of people seated at outdoor cafes. They all started applauding thinking it was some sort of performance art.
Adam (05-16-2014), Janet (05-16-2014), JoeP (05-16-2014), lisarea (05-16-2014), Nullifidian (05-28-2014), Stormlight (05-28-2014), The Man (05-16-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

That is some pretty odd shit there. I have to imagine most of those people must've been horrified over their initial reaction once they realized it wasn't what they thought it was.

:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM

Trained and sanctioned doesn't mean better.

Cop shot puppy 8 times within a few feet of a 5 year old girl

In his defense it was a Pitbull, so it may have slobbered on him.
Adam (05-20-2014), Janet (05-20-2014), lisarea (05-20-2014), Nullifidian (05-28-2014), Stormlight (05-28-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I can't really express an opinion on this story as I happen to intensely fear and dislike dogs. As such, I tend to have a knee jerk reaction that any shooting of a dog is inherently justified.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 AM

3-year-old Arizona boy shoots 18-month-old brother dead with neighbor’s gun

I'm having an increasingly difficult time coming up with anything coherent to say in response to stories like this, because they are becoming so common. I'd rather just unleash a string of profanities.

Thanks, from:
Janet (05-28-2014), Nullifidian (05-28-2014), Stormlight (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 05:54 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

And the NRA keeps insisting Guns don't kill people, people kill people. To quote the great Izzard, the gun sure helps!
At minimum the gun's owner to should be tried for manslaughter and be banned from owning firearms for life.
Thanks, from:
Janet (05-28-2014), The Man (05-28-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
3-year-old Arizona boy shoots 18-month-old brother dead with neighbor’s gun

I'm having an increasingly difficult time coming up with anything coherent to say in response to stories like this, because they are becoming so common. I'd rather just unleash a string of profanities.
The fucked up part is that the man who owned the gun will probably only get a slap on the wrist as punishment. A part of me thinks all gun owners should be registered along with their guns. That way if any crime is committed with gun owner's weapon, the legitimate owner of the gun gets punished as well.

If you own a gun, you should be held liable for all crimes that committed with that gun, unless it was stolen from you and you reported it to the authorities immediately. In tragic situations such as this, an owner should be charged with reckless endangerment and unintentional manslaughter by proxy.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-01-2014), The Man (05-30-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law