Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Funnily enough, Max Tegmark addresses this issue in the paper I linked to earlier. I'll quote the bits later.

Basically, this: we have empirical evidence that the universe is spatially infinite (it could be different -- finite but unbounded, for example).

In a spatially infinite universe, (assuming a random and more or less uniform distribution of matter, for which we also have evidence) by chance alone, anything that can happen, will happen, no matter how long the odds.

More: in a spatially infinite universe, anything that can happen, will happen (no matter how long the odds) an infinite number of times.

It follows that there are an infinite number of inhabited planets in the universe.

More: it follows that there are an infinite number of planets in the universe that are near or essentially identical copies of the planet earth, each one of which has a copy of each one of us.

Tegmark then goes on to work out the calculations and tells you how far you would have to travel in space to meet your nearest identical copy.
Very good David, but you have your own agenda, so please back off in order for me to explain this discovery without more static which only makes it harder for everyone.
No, peacegirl, I have no agenda (except accuracy) and this is not static. You posted some copypasta about probabilities meant to support Lessans' claims. I and others are showing you that it's wrong. So if this is intended as support for Lessans' claim, which it must be since you posted it, it has the unfortunate defect of being incorrect. Nor is this opinion; you and the writer just don't understand probabilities.

Hey, peacegirl, Fred throws a million darts and gets one bull's eye. So the odds against him getting a bull's eye are astronomical, a million to one.

How many bull's eyes should we expect Fred to get if he threw an infinite number of darts?
The probability of a world that meets such exact criteria for survival by a throw of darts is so farfetched it's nonsensical.
Ahhh peacegirl, I'd be careful what I called farfetched if I were you.
Thanks, from:
davidm (11-05-2011), Stephen Maturin (11-06-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Let's expand directly from Lessans words, peacegirl. He said the chances of the Earth being the way it is without a creator or a Supreme intelligence guiding things is 1 in a Billion, correct?

Okay, so that means if there are 100 billion stars the same size as our sun, that have orbiting planets, as our solar system does, then there are 100 Earthlike planets out there....just by Lessans own reasoning.

And that 100 billion I used? Not even a drop in the ocean compared to what exists in our Universe.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Yeah, peacegirl, I've got an even worse dart player than Fred for you. His name is Hubert. Hubert only hits the bull's eye once every one billion throws. So the odds against him making a bull's eye are a billion to one.

How many bull's eyes will Hubert make if he throws an infinite number of times, you reckon?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
That is one of the many things she does not get, that ideas compete with ideas. For her it's all personal, all Lessans, and so she thinks it's the same for us -- that we "worship" Einstein, for instance, and that's why we think relatvity theory is correct and contradicts Lessans. It's funny and tragic at the same time.

Lessans' ideas are contradicted by reality, peacegirl. It's not Lessans' v. Einstein or us, it's his ideas vs. reality. Reality wins, his ideas lose. Simple as that.
You wish it was that simple. Then you could have all the worlds that are within your fantastical illusion.
Oops, peacegirl reveals her mental illness again.

So what are you gonna do with all your worlds peacegirl?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
I'd like to post the relevant bits from Tegmark but it has multiple superscripts to denote exponentiality, even more than one for the same number, and I don't see a way to do superscripts in this software. :sadcheer:
a^b^c

10^10^100 = googolplex etc.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Quote:
I'd like to post the relevant bits from Tegmark but it has multiple superscripts to denote exponentiality, even more than one for the same number, and I don't see a way to do superscripts in this software. :sadcheer:
a^b^c

10^10^100 = googolplex etc.
Yeah, I can do that, I was just hoping to do a copypasta with ability to change the numbers into superscript the way we can italic, etc.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

You mean like 41012? It looks awkward, but it's do-able.
Thanks, from:
But (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 PM

There are something like 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone, and there are something like 100,000,000,000 galaxies out there in the observable Universe.

Astronomical observations demonstrate that planets, far from being rare, are actually remarkably common. We know of well over 200 planets around nearby stars now. So it's more or less certain that our galaxy alone contains billions of planets.

What's more, experiments such as the Miller-Urey experiments show that the basic components of living cells spontaneously assemble -- and remarkably rapidly -- when you mimic the conditions that prevailed early in the Earth's history. (Before life itself started changing the atmosphere; our oxygen-rich atmosphere is a by-product of photosynthesis.)

So what would be truly shocking is if there weren't planets in our galaxy -- and quite a few of them at that -- that support life.
Thanks, from:
Kael (11-06-2011), LadyShea (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
You mean like 41012? It looks awkward, but it's do-able.
Yeah, like that except I thought there was a way to make the numbers smaller (superscript). It's not big deal, I'll just do it the But way. :yup:

ETA: Oh, wait, that IS superscript. [ sup ] [ /sup ] Just not smaller numbers. Thanks, TLR. :yup:
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM

You can change the size of the numbers, too, which makes it look a bit less awkward:

Thanks, from:
But (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
There are something like 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone, and there are something like 100,000,000,000 galaxies out there in the observable Universe.

Astronomical observations demonstrate that planets, far from being rare, are actually remarkably common. We know of well over 200 planets around nearby stars now. So it's more or less certain that our galaxy alone contains billions of planets.

What's more, experiments such as the Miller-Urey experiments show that the basic components of living cells spontaneously assemble -- and remarkably rapidly -- when you mimic the conditions that prevailed early in the Earth's history. (Before life itself started changing the atmosphere; our oxygen-rich atmosphere is a by-product of photosynthesis.)

So what would be truly shocking is if there weren't planets in our galaxy -- and quite a few of them at that -- that support life.

But then why haven't they contacted us?

Simple answer, do you have any concept of how far it is between stars, let alone the stars that support life, then not considering how far it could be between stars with planets that support intelligent technological societies. The distances are just crazy far, and C is the speed limit. Just try to wrap your head around that and if you say you can comprehend that I'll know you are either crazy as Peacegirl, or lying through your ass. I think it's a long drive from here to Sodus NY, the Universe is just insanely spread out.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
But any adequate account of satisfaction is going to have to allow that people occasionally make poor decisions leading them to be less satisfied than if they had chosen otherwise.

Of course, Peacegirl is no better at distinguishing between actual and expected satisfaction than she is at providing any non-circular explanation of how satisfaction is to be measured or determined.
Spacemonkey, you have a misconception as to what "greater satisfaction" even means by the response you just gave. Also, we're not measuring the satisfaction quotient of each individual to determine if they are moving in this direction. We know they are moving in this direction by his proof, which I'm giving to you momentarily. Then we can discuss it.
Discuss it then. Tell me what you think my misconception is by explaining in your own words your own understanding of "greater satisfaction". Explain to me how it is defined, how we can know that people are always moving in this direction.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Good point. So to truly give peacegirl a fair chance, can we agree that the premise is more accurately stated:

Humans always attempt to move in the direction of greater satisfaction
That is true. It doesn't mean they are always satisfied. It only means they are picking the best choice that is available under the circumstances. They are always choosing the greater of two goods, the lesser of two evils, or a good over an evil. They are not choosing the lesser of two goods, the greater of two evils, or an evil over a good.
But this is wrong. People can and do choose what is not the best choice available. They often do mistakenly choose the lesser of two goods, or the greater of two evils, or an evil over a good. That is what you just agreed to. What matters is expected rather than actual satisfaction.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good point. So to truly give peacegirl a fair chance, can we agree that the premise is more accurately stated:

Exactly. So the next question is how this is supposed to be known or supported. Is it meant as an analytic truth, true by definition? Or is it a synthetic contingent truth known by empirical observation?
It is an inductive truth known by empirical observation. Just as we know that apples fall off of trees to the ground, and we know this through observation, Lessans is showing that this knowledge is true based on his observations of human nature which are immutable universal laws.
If it is an inductive truth known by empirical observation, then you need to define "greater satisfaction" and specify exactly how it can be measured or determined in any given instance of observation. You need to explain how it can be empirically observed to be true in any instance by specifying what empirical observations would have shown it to be false. If you can't give empirically observable truth conditions for the principle, then it is not being judged empirically at all, but is instead being judged a priori as an analytic truth.

If it is an "immutable universal law" known to be true in any given instance without any empirical measurement or determination, but rather by way of an a priori conceptual proof (as you suggest in your previous post), then it cannot be an inductive truth known by empirical observation.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
It is an inductive truth known by empirical observation.
Quote:
This is definitely not an analytic truth.
Quote:
His conclusions came from observing human nature but this also included his sound reasoning which was the actual proof. That's why this is so difficult because you can't empirically test this. You have to understand the reasoning which will allow you to know that the choices we make are under a compulsion.
You're contradicting yourself aready. If it is an inductive truth known by empirical observation, then it is empirically testable. If it is not empirically testable, then it is being put forward as an analytic truth.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (11-06-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
...so please back off in order for me to explain this discovery...
When are you going to start? You've cut&pasted Lessans' words already. When do you intend to start explaining what you think he is saying?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That is true. It doesn't mean they are always satisfied. It only means they are picking the best choice that is available under the circumstances. They are always choosing the greater of two goods, the lesser of two evils, or a good over an evil. They are not choosing the lesser of two goods, the greater of two evils, or an evil over a good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
But this is wrong. People can and do choose what is not the best choice available. They often do mistakenly choose the lesser of two goods, or the greater of two evils, or an evil over a good. That is what you just agreed to. What matters is expected rather than actual satisfaction.
People often make mistakes, that's true. But at the time they thought it was the best choice available.

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-05-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
When are you going to start? You've cut&pasted Lessans' words already. When do you intend to start explaining what you think he is saying?
I'm almost finished posting Chapter One. I told you it's not that long. Then I will answer any questions you may have.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
You think elementary and rather silly religious apologetics are going to be remotely convincing here at :ff:?
Quote:
We have found that there are 999,999,999 chances to one against a belief that all things happen by chance.
Who's we? How did he arrive at that figure? Was he aware that as long as the possibility is > 0 then whatever it is WILL necessarily happen given large enough numbers of chances (and the Universe offers many, many, many billions of "chances")

Quote:
Well, do you still believe there is no Supreme Intelligence guiding this universe through mathematical laws
Yes, I still believe that. Now what?
It doesn't matter. Let's move on.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm almost finished posting Chapter One. I told you it's not that long. Then I will answer any questions you may have.
Like I said, peacegirl has little comprehension of what is going on. She is a broken record. (Or perhaps a bot.)

peacegirl, if you are human, get help.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
People often make mistakes and choose something that doesn't turn out to be the best choice. That doesn't mean they weren't moving in the direction of greater satisfaction...
Yes, it does. That is exactly what it means. They were not moving in the direction of greatest satisfaction, but only (at best) in the direction of greatest expected satisfaction.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
You think elementary and rather silly religious apologetics are going to be remotely convincing here at :ff:?
Quote:
We have found that there are 999,999,999 chances to one against a belief that all things happen by chance.
Who's we? How did he arrive at that figure? Was he aware that as long as the possibility is > 0 then whatever it is WILL necessarily happen given large enough numbers of chances (and the Universe offers many, many, many billions of "chances")

Quote:
Well, do you still believe there is no Supreme Intelligence guiding this universe through mathematical laws
Yes, I still believe that. Now what?
It doesn't matter. Let's move on.
peacegirl move on? It is just not possible for her.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not interested in having you answer questions after cutting and pasting. I want you to explain in your own words your own understanding of what you think Lessans is saying so that we might then discuss it.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not interested in having you answer questions after cutting and pasting. I want you to explain in your own words your own understanding of what you think Lessans is saying.
Don't hold your breath. peacegirl has a comprehension of that of an average six year old.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Let's expand directly from Lessans words, peacegirl. He said the chances of the Earth being the way it is without a creator or a Supreme intelligence guiding things is 1 in a Billion, correct?

Okay, so that means if there are 100 billion stars the same size as our sun, that have orbiting planets, as our solar system does, then there are 100 Earthlike planets out there....just by Lessans own reasoning.

And that 100 billion I used? Not even a drop in the ocean compared to what exists in our Universe.
This was not even his writing LadyShea. It was Morrison's writing. Lessans was just responding to what he wrote regarding chance.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy