I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
I have never seen a purple cow,
And I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you now,
I'd rather see than be one.

And just where do you think they get the milk to make purple ice cream?
Angakuk (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The truth is in daylight we get true colors everywhere we look because the full spectrum of light coming from the Sun is in every ray.

Wonderful, perhaps now you will define what a "Ray" of Sunshine is, how big is it, and what is in it.
Angakuk (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
The truth is in daylight we get true colors everywhere we look because the full spectrum of light coming from the Sun is in every ray.

Wonderful, perhaps now you will define what a "Ray" of Sunshine is, how big is it, and what is in it.
I would also like to hear how shadows and atmospheric scattering don't affect "true color"
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Nature is not redundant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "peacegirl
It still sounds very haphazard to me, but of course not to you since you've got an answer for everything
Quote:
Light should not be bringing special effects when we don't want them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "peacegirl
Nature is well-designed. It is not haphazard.
Er...what? Sorry peacegirl, but you don't get to dictate how nature is. The universe doesn't care if you find it strange or haphazard, or random or daft, or immoral.

The difference between you and the rest of us is that we go out an look at how the universe actually behaves, rather than assuming it behaves in a way we find pleasing, and trying to come up with conspiracy theories and a multitude of random extra beliefs to preserve an idealized notion of how the world works.

So if you find the way light behaves strange, or unpleasant? Tough. That's how it works, and we've checked it works this way. Welcome to science. Unlike you, and Lessans, who decided how it should work, and tried to ignore everything that contradicted you.

You also never apologized for your blatant lie earlier, that you used to try and get out of a ridiculous contradictory statement you made. Are you going to?

Last edited by Dragar; 07-04-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013), LadyShea (07-03-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-03-2013), Vivisectus (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Light is light, why are you trying to limit things?
In case it isn't already blatantly obvious, Peacegirl is desperately trying (and succeeding) in redirecting discussion away from the obvious impossibility of her own account of vision by trying to paint the afferent account as somehow implausible too. And she doesn't care how stupid she makes herself look in the process.
Angakuk (07-04-2013), LadyShea (07-03-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I do believe Lessans is right regarding the eyes.
No you don't. Your behavior is not that of one who believes what they are saying. You constantly lie, evade, and weasel, refusing to answer even the simplest of questions about your own claims. You want to believe Lessans, and you may even believe that you believe him, but you clearly don't. Your transparently dishonest behavior shows otherwise.
Angakuk (07-04-2013), ceptimus (07-03-2013), ChristinaM (07-03-2013), Dragar (07-04-2013), Pan Narrans (07-04-2013), Stephen Maturin (07-03-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-03-2013), thedoc (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM

Peacegirl, are you happy to leave efferent vision as a big fat contradiction that no-one in their right mind could ever take seriously? Does it not bother you at all that you are positing photons at the retina without being able to explain where they came from or how they got there? Why do you keep pretending that this problem doesn't exist? Do you think that if you ignore it, it will just go away? Do you think other people might be so stupid as to not consider it a problem either?
Angakuk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
If the object is far away, the dispersed light will make the object appear small. If the object is closer to us, the light will make the object appear large.
What an amazingly weird statement. How does the dispersion of light do that, and why is that the effect? Can you draw me a simple representation to explain what you mean by this?

Because in actual optics, dispersion does not cause perspective: it is the fact that the farther away an object is, the larger the area that is looked at, which means the object makes up less and less of that area.
That's what I meant. I just didn't say that the light takes up less room. But the truth is the object appears smaller than if there is more light on the retina.
No, if the light reflected from the object covers a larger area on the retina. And in order to get there, it needs to travel: it is this travelling that makes the area larger or smaller. If objects had some sort of direct relationship with the brain through the eyes, then there would be no explanation for why there is such a thing as perspective.
They don't have to have a direct relationship with the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
So can you please explain how in efferent sight, the exact same effect is caused by a completely unrelated mechanism?
Quote:
It's the same mechanism except in the efferent account the object is present. Optics works the same way, which I've said countless times.
Quote:
Same mechanism? So light travels and hits the retina, signal goes down the optic nerve etc?
No, I said optics works the same way in either model.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Peacegirl, are you happy to leave efferent vision as a big fat contradiction that no-one in their right mind could ever take seriously? Does it not bother you at all that you are positing photons at the retina without being able to explain where they came from or how they got there? Why do you keep pretending that this problem doesn't exist? Do you think that if you ignore it, it will just go away? Do you think other people might be so stupid as to not consider it a problem either?
If you understood that in the efferent account size and brightness are the only requirements for sight because it puts the film/retina within optical range of the object, you would understand why light doesn't have to travel millions of miles for us to see it, and why we would be able to see a distant object before we would see each other, which would take another 8.5 minutes. I am so tired of trying to explain this. I know I'm going to be considered a fundie as long as this goes on. No one will ever take this seriously [not in here anyway]. If you think it's all hot air and makes no sense, then let's let it rest? This would be a good time.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Same mechanism? So light travels and hits the retina, signal goes down the optic nerve etc?
Yeah, optics is the scientific model of vision and light physics, so optics can't work the same in both models. As you said, they are complete opposites. Right?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013), Spacemonkey (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you understood that in the efferent account size and brightness are the only requirements for sight because it puts the film/retina within optical range of the object, you would understand why light doesn't have to travel millions of miles for us to see it, and why we would be able to see a distant object before we would see each other, which would take another 8.5 minutes. I am so tired of trying to explain this. I know I'm going to be considered a fundie as long as this goes on. No one will ever take this seriously [not in here anyway]. If you think it's all hot air and makes no sense, then let's let it rest? This would be a good time.
That was another evasive weasel response. Not a single answer to anything I just asked. You are again just ignoring the problem and begging me to let it rest. And you can't be tired of trying to explain this, because you've never once even tried to explain where the light at the retina came from or how it got there. All you've ever done is evade and weasel. You are a fundamentally dishonest person.

Peacegirl, are you happy to leave efferent vision as a big fat contradiction that no-one in their right mind could ever take seriously? _____

Does it not bother you at all that you are positing photons at the retina without being able to explain where they came from or how they got there? _____

Why do you keep pretending that this problem doesn't exist? _____

Do you think that if you ignore it, it will just go away? _____

Do you think other people might be so stupid as to not consider it a problem either? _____
Angakuk (07-04-2013), LadyShea (07-04-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Peacegirl, you now have three inconsistent principles regarding Lessans newly ignited Sun example:

(1) There are photons at the retina instantly at the moment the Sun is ignited.
(2) These photons came from the Sun.
(3) These photons had a travel time.

These three statements cannot all be true. So which one will you give up?

Are you going to give up one of these three inconsistent claims? Or are you happy to leave efferent vision as a big fat contradiction that no-one in their right mind could ever take seriously?
Bump.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 PM

In Lessans' newly ignited Sun example...

1) Will there be photons at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited (i.e. 12:00)?

2) If so, where did these photons come from? (Name a location)

3) When were these photons located at that location? (Specify a time)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't answer the question as to why daylight (the full spectrum) provides a true representation of the color of an object.
Well then you have even less understanding of the standard model of optics than I thought. Objects don't have a true color. All color is perceived by the light the object reflects. The properties of the source light, and the light in the environment are the main factors in what color we perceive, and those factors vary.
They really don't vary to the degree you are insisting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
They really do.
LED vs. Florescent vs. Strong Daylight vs. Cloudy Day vs. Forest/Sand/Water vs. Sunset vs. Noon vs. Shadows. Every one of these is different and will change color perception.
It does not change blue to orange.

Quote:
Yes, we see shadows that may change the hue somewhat, but this doesn't change green grass to red grass in daylight.
No it doesn't. Why would it? The chemical composition of plants reflects green for the most part. Green wavelengths are found in most types of source light.
Quote:
God (or nature) did not intend grass to be red and that's why we don't see it as red.
Quote:
ROFL, are you shitting me with this "intention" of nature?
Why does that make you laugh?

Quote:
Grass doesn't usually reflect red because for most varieties the chemical composition is such that the plant absorbs the red part of the spectrum for photosynthesis.

Absorption spectra showing how the different side chains in chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b result in slightly different absorptions of visible light. Light with a wavelength of 460 nm is not significantly absorbed by chlorophyll a, but will instead be captured by chlorophyll b, which absorbs strongly at that wavelength. The two kinds of chlorophyll in plants complement each other in absorbing sunlight. Plants are able to satisfy their energy requirements by absorbing light from the blue and red parts of the spectrum. However, there is still a large spectral region between 500 and 600 nm where chlorophyll absorbs very little light, and plants appear green because this light is reflected.

There are grasses that appear reddish and purplish though.
Interesting.

Quote:
We see it as green because the green photons are at the retina.
Quote:
Yes, because that is the wavelength of light reflected off the green grass.
Quote:
Your theory about bouncing light coming from all directions sounds redundant. Nature is not redundant.
Quote:
Gibbering again.
Not really. I'm trying to make sense out of what you're saying.

Quote:
Light travels and reflects off things and is absorbed by things all the time, because those are the immutable properties of light.
This doesn't change how the eyes function.

Quote:
You would think we would be seeing all kinds of hues ( like the ones you just showed) based on a partial spectrum.
Quote:
We do.
Quote:
We don't see completely different colors unless we purposely shine a blue light or red light on something.
Quote:
Sure we do. See the examples I posted. Tell me how many distinctive hues and shades are represented in this picture of a single leaf. You can't because there are literally thousands.
That's because of the pigments in the plants. That's not what I meant. A red color will not look blue in daylight, but it may look like a darker red if there is a shadow or if the sun is setting. It won't look like a completely different color though.

Quote:
Unique Color Count for this image is 164,280 according to my imaging software

Quote:
I have never seen a blue tree or purple grass.
Quote:
And plants reflect the green wavelength for the most part, though this changes as seen with Fall colors and though there are exceptions

Purple Fountain Grass
Quote:
Great picture (thanks) but it doesn't change the fact that grass all over the world is green.
Quote:
As I said, plants reflect the green wavelength for the most part. That species of grass is purple, however. So now you have seen purple grass.
Very cool. Nature is amazing!

Quote:
But what if there is no other object around except for one, then what?
Quote:
If full spectrum light is striking an object it absorbs whatever wavelengths it absorbs and reflects whatever wavelengths it reflects, which is based on its chemical composition, and we will perceive color based on the reflected wavelengths.
Quote:
Right, but in order to reveal its color the non-absorbed wavelength has to be there.
Quote:
The color is not "revealed", the color perceived is due to the wavelengths reflected.
Whatever you say.
Quote:
It still sounds very haphazard to me, but of course not to you since you've got an answer for everything
Quote:
It is haphazard, because there are many factors involved.
Quote:
Quote:
Nonsense.
What do you mean nonsense? I think nature has an order to it, although it can be violent.

Quote:
Color correction is a huge aspect of photography, and lighting is a huge aspect of things like product display and decorating due to all the variables.
Quote:
We're talking about nature right now, not manipulating the lighting to get different effects. The truth is in daylight we get true colors everywhere we look because the full spectrum of light coming from the Sun is in every ray.

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-04-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to make sense out of what you're saying.
No you're not. You're only trying to divert attention away from your own contradictory claims, and pretend that the afferent account doesn't make any sense either.

Quote:
A red color will not look blue in daylight, but it may look like a darker red if there is a shadow or if the sun is setting. It won't look like a completely different color though.
(My bold.) And no-one has said that it should. No-one has said that objects should appear completely different colors from their actual colors under normal daylight conditions.
Angakuk (07-04-2013), LadyShea (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Light is light, why are you trying to limit things?
In case it isn't already blatantly obvious, Peacegirl is desperately trying (and succeeding) in redirecting discussion away from the obvious impossibility of her own account of vision by trying to paint the afferent account as somehow implausible too. And she doesn't care how stupid she makes herself look in the process.

After 10+ years of practice, she's getting good at it.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
No, if the light reflected from the object covers a larger area on the retina. And in order to get there, it needs to travel: it is this travelling that makes the area larger or smaller. If objects had some sort of direct relationship with the brain through the eyes, then there would be no explanation for why there is such a thing as perspective.

In the book Lessans claimed that the brain looked out through the eyes and had direct contact with the light (photons) that were in direct contact with the object, which would make it a direct relationship between the brain and the object through the light, which is only a condition of sight and not the cause.

Light is a condition of sight but not the cause? Does that make sense to anyone, even Peacegirl?
Angakuk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't answer the question as to why daylight (the full spectrum) provides a true representation of the color of an object.
Well then you have even less understanding of the standard model of optics than I thought. Objects don't have a true color. All color is perceived by the light the object reflects. The properties of the source light, and the light in the environment are the main factors in what color we perceive, and those factors vary.
They really don't vary to the degree you are insisting.
Quote:
They really do.
LED vs. Florescent vs. Strong Daylight vs. Cloudy Day vs. Forest/Sand/Water vs. Sunset vs. Noon vs. Shadows. Every one of these is different and will change color perception.
It does not change blue to orange.
Uh no, who said it would? Why is that even on the table?

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, we see shadows that may change the hue somewhat, but this doesn't change green grass to red grass in daylight.
No it doesn't. Why would it? The chemical composition of plants reflects green for the most part. Green wavelengths are found in most types of source light.
Quote:
God (or nature) did not intend grass to be red and that's why we don't see it as red.
Quote:
ROFL, are you shitting me with this "intention" of nature?
Why does that make you laugh?
Only beings can formulate intent.

You keep insisting you don't think God is an actual being, then you make statements like this that can be attributed ONLY to a being. That is inconsistent.

Quote:
Quote:
Grass doesn't usually reflect red because for most varieties the chemical composition is such that the plant absorbs the red part of the spectrum for photosynthesis.

Absorption spectra showing how the different side chains in chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b result in slightly different absorptions of visible light. Light with a wavelength of 460 nm is not significantly absorbed by chlorophyll a, but will instead be captured by chlorophyll b, which absorbs strongly at that wavelength. The two kinds of chlorophyll in plants complement each other in absorbing sunlight. Plants are able to satisfy their energy requirements by absorbing light from the blue and red parts of the spectrum. However, there is still a large spectral region between 500 and 600 nm where chlorophyll absorbs very little light, and plants appear green because this light is reflected.

There are grasses that appear reddish and purplish though.
Interesting.
Uh huh. Do you understand it at all?
Quote:
Quote:
Your theory about bouncing light coming from all directions sounds redundant. Nature is not redundant.
Quote:
Gibbering again.
Not really. I'm trying to make sense out of what you're saying.
Redundancy is not at all applicable to the properties of light, and nature is often redundant. So yes, you are just spouting nonsense aka gibbering.

Also, you should already have understood the basics of optics since Middle School. If you don't understand it at even that basic level, how can you comfortably deny its veracity?

Quote:
Quote:
Light travels and reflects off things and is absorbed by things all the time, because those are the immutable properties of light.
This doesn't change how the eyes function.
Hello from left field non-sequitur deflection!

Quote:
A red color will not look blue in daylight
You're right, but how does this relate to the discussion or to anything I've said? Oh, it doesn't! You seem to be building a brand new strawman to beat up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is haphazard, because there are many factors involved.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nonsense.
What do you mean nonsense? I think nature has an order to it, although it can be violent.
There is both order and entropy in the Universe and much of it looks haphazard. Have you ever seen a flounder? They have two eyes, both situated on the same side of the head. There are plenty of examples of very poor "design" in nature. I'd be happy to point you to some, as these are often used in Creation vs. Evolution debates
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nonsense.
There is both order and entropy in the Universe and much of it looks haphazard. Have you ever seen a flounder? They have two eyes, both situated on the same side of the head. There are plenty of examples of very poor "design" in nature. I'd be happy to point you to some, as these are often used in Creation vs. Evolution debates

"Poor Design" in nature is only a result of human misunderstanding of nature. Nature always designs (if you like that discription of what nature does) organisms to function in the environment in which they need to function. There are no organisms that are poorly designed to function, which means they are able to survive, reproduce and continue the species. Ask me about Jelly fish, or fruit flies.

Flounders lay on the bottom, an eye on the underside would serve no purpose so it migrates to the top side in the maturing of the fish.

In humans the larynx migrates to a point below the crossing of the trachea and esophagus, this allows for a wider range of sounds to be made (language) but means that one could choke while swallowing food. Other animals do not have this feature and can eat and breath at the same time, infant humans can also eat and breath at the same time, it is not untill later that the possibility of choaking is realized.

Last edited by thedoc; 07-04-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
"Poor Design" in nature is only a result of human misunderstanding of nature
That's why I had design in quotes. There are examples of things that, had they actually been designed by an intelligent being, would be much more efficient and less stupid.

Basically the argument from poor design is used to show that if there is really a designer, it is crazy and incompetent.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
"Poor Design" in nature is only a result of human misunderstanding of nature
That's why I had design in quotes. There are examples of things that, had they [I]actually [/I]been designed by an intelligent being, would be much more efficient and less stupid.
Basically the argument from poor design is used to show that if there is really a designer, it is crazy and incompetent.

Sorry but this is wrong, every organism is fitted to the niche it inhabits. Jellyfish were first analysed as very poor swimmers based on the observed motion through the water. It was later realized that the motion was primarily a means of feeding and in that light was very efficient.

The design of the fruit fly is critized because it does not have a 'tooth' that can break the skin of fruit to access the meat of the fruit. But the fruit fly seems to be doing quite well without it, and growing a 'tooth' necessary to cut through the skin of the fruit would require dietary resources that were not needed.

Nature designs each organism to a purpose, and if humans do not understand that purpose, that is not the fault or inefficiency of the organism, any stupidity is strictly in human understanding of the organism.

The Camel was thought to be a poorly designed horse, till scientists were able to examine one more closely and determine that the Camel was well designed to survive in the environment it was inhabiting.

The criticizm that any creature could be designed more effeciently, is only from ignorance of the real purpose and environment the organism is inhabeting. Organisms are designed to be adequate to survive where they are, any improvment would upset the balance and require other organisms to evolve to restore the balance of nature. One example of the upset of nature is the elimination of large predators from the eastern part of the US. Now human hunting of prey animals is necessary to keep the herd in check, otherwise the animal population would increase to the detriment of all living creatures in the area.

Last edited by thedoc; 07-04-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
The criticizm that any creature could be designed more effeciently, is only from ignorance of the real purpose and environment the organism is inhabeting.
The giraffe's recurrent laryngeal nerve says otherwise.
LadyShea (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I have to agree. Designing humans with a small piece of intestine that does nothing but sit there until it gets inflamed and kills you is not efficient in any way, unless you stretch the definition of "efficient" to breaking point.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
So, does this mean you're going to stop lying and calling what Lessans did "scientific"?
His work is undeniable. If you think I'm going to take out the word scientific just for your sake, I'm not. I'm leaving the book as is, and if someone doesn't want to read it for that reason, I agree that they shouldn't read it.
So, your answer is: "Yes, I'm going to continue lying."

Thanks for clearing that up.
Lone Ranger, you are using the word "lie" in a very deceitful way. So who is the liar here? The fact that you are focusing on this word to such a degree makes me wonder what your motive is.
He actually cares about science, and not just about the prestige that the word brings along. Which leads to much more interesting questions about you, your father, the book, and why all of you do not engage in science, but nevertheless like to pretend you do in order to claim prestige and authority you do not deserve... and continue to do so even when this has been made clear!

If you keep saying something that is untrue after you have been clearly shown that this is what you are doing, then yes, you are lying.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-04-2013), ChristinaM (07-04-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If the object is far away, the dispersed light will make the object appear small. If the object is closer to us, the light will make the object appear large.
What an amazingly weird statement. How does the dispersion of light do that, and why is that the effect? Can you draw me a simple representation to explain what you mean by this?

Because in actual optics, dispersion does not cause perspective: it is the fact that the farther away an object is, the larger the area that is looked at, which means the object makes up less and less of that area.
That's what I meant. I just didn't say that the light takes up less room. But the truth is the object appears smaller than if there is more light on the retina.
Same difference: in actual optics, the area covered on the retina is caused by the fact that reflected light travels.

In your idea, light just has to be at the object and is not required to travel... so if it works the same way, what is it that takes up more or less space on the retina? It cannot be light, as it is at the object, and in any case the light does not have a relationship to what is seen: that is not determined by what light is received, and how.

Quote:
Quote:
So can you please explain how in efferent sight, the exact same effect is caused by a completely unrelated mechanism?
Quote:
It's the same mechanism except in the efferent account the object is present. Optics works the same way, which I've said countless times.
Quote:
That is what optics is: light travels, hits the retina, and a signal goes down the nerve. Based on it we design telescopes, cameras, basically anything to do with sight and imaging.

We know what causes perspective in optics. So what causes it in your idea? It cannot be the same thing, or work the same way, unless you want to say that sight is efferent AND afferent.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy