Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: WTF happened to Google?

Oh, I like the index view. I would like to always have the come up. :unnod:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Has anyone else trying Feedly discovered any way to pin the left nav so it's always open? I've dug through all the preferences I can find, but I don't see a way to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Oh I see, I have a virtually invisible scroll bar. Thank you, Chrome.
Huh. In Chrome, the left nav is always visible, but the scroll bar is hard to see. In Firefox, the scroll bar is obvious, but the freaking left nav is hidden until I hover over it.

Quote:
I like it best, too, although I wish it would sort my categories alphabetically, instead of whatever order it's using now. It seems to roughly be in the order of how often I read the various categories, but there are a couple I barely ever look at that are fairly close to the top.

You can set the index view in your preferences to always be the first page you see. I wish there were an easier way to get back to it, though. There are keyboard shortcuts for the Latest and Today views, but none for the Index view.

So, and also, I read a thing on the internet today, so it must be true, but it was a commenter on a blog post and I can't find confirmation anywhere else. Apparently, a number of changes to the core Google API are going live on July 1. Reader, having been written before most of the core API was in place, supposedly has a lot of direct hooks into functionality that later applications are more loosely coupled to, so the changes that are slated for July would break Reader without a lot of recoding that Google isn't willing to do for an app that doesn't make them any money.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-15-2013), Ensign Steve (03-15-2013), lisarea (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM

Anyone else using Feedly from Firefox tried to subscribe to a new feed or send an article to Pocket yet? It seems to have issues with URL encoding. Nothing that can't be easily fixed by manually modifying the encoded URL it tries to use but, you know, :effort:. The iOS app seems to work fine, haven't tried it from Chrome yet.

Fake ETA: :lol: @ our :effort: guy
Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone else trying Feedly discovered any way to pin the left nav so it's always open? I've dug through all the preferences I can find, but I don't see a way to do it.
Quote:
Oh I see, I have a virtually invisible scroll bar. Thank you, Chrome.
Huh. In Chrome, the left nav is always visible, but the scroll bar is hard to see. In Firefox, the scroll bar is obvious, but the freaking left nav is hidden until I hover over it.
Not in my Chrome. The left nav only shows on hover, and the scroll bar is invisible unless I happen to put my mouse on its 2 pixels of width. The worst of both worlds. :glare:
Quote:
Quote:
I like it best, too, although I wish it would sort my categories alphabetically, instead of whatever order it's using now. It seems to roughly be in the order of how often I read the various categories, but there are a couple I barely ever look at that are fairly close to the top.

You can set the index view in your preferences to always be the first page you see. I wish there were an easier way to get back to it, though. There are keyboard shortcuts for the Latest and Today views, but none for the Index view.
I got best results by setting my bookmark to the index. But I agree that there needs to be a better way to get back to the index when I am done with a feed.

Quote:
So, and also, I read a thing on the internet today, so it must be true, but it was a commenter on a blog post and I can't find confirmation anywhere else. Apparently, a number of changes to the core Google API are going live on July 1. Reader, having been written before most of the core API was in place, supposedly has a lot of direct hooks into functionality that later applications are more loosely coupled to, so the changes that are slated for July would break Reader without a lot of recoding that Google isn't willing to do for an app that doesn't make them any money.
That makes sense. Not sure why they haven't tried to make any money with it, though. :chin:
Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I haven't found anything to replace Listen for my Android podcasting needs. I'm still keeping my eyeborts open for something but I don't think anyone is going to build something enough like it. For now I'm taking the long way around and downloading pods for casting and then shuffling them onto the phone.

I did find an Add On for Firefox called Brief that's relatively compact and minimal like Reader was. It uses bookmarks just so you're aware and don't do something dumb like I did. The first time I imported my subs.xml I put it right on the Bookmarks menu and Brief loaded all the folders I have there. I thought that was cluttery and accidentally deleted all my bookmarks.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Coffin Creep

:tealdeer:
Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
eyeborts
:lol: :awesome:

BrotherMan (03-23-2013), Janet (03-23-2013), livius drusus (04-14-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

What If The Google Reader Readers Just Don’t Come Back? | TechCrunch

You can tell that this is a pretty good article because it says that people who read RSS feeds are cool and influential.

I'm still not crazy about feedly, BTW.
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-25-2013), BrotherMan (03-25-2013), specious_reasons (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Google bought out my favorite Photoshop plugin company. I was originally appalled by this. Today I got an email offering a free upgrade. Instead of only having the upgrade for the one plugin I own they gave me the latest copies of ALL of the plugins for ALL of my Adobe products. I'm torn between being extremely grateful (as the package would have cost me about $900 last week) and wondering what they've screwed up.
Ymir's blood (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Digg is planning something.

On the first hand, there's this, which sounds good.

Quote:
Digg meanwhile, now incubated and being rebuilt by Betaworks, is an interesting one to watch in this space, as team members there describe themselves as “rabid information addicts” who also have relied on Google Reader in the past. But Digg’s involvement is appealing to Google Reader’s heaviest users, because the redesigned Digg.com offers a clean, minimalistic user interface, which is what many want to see in their news reader replacement – that is, they want more of a utility and less of a “news magazine”-styled design.
Clean, minimal styling with not a lot of stuff :wannafight: to get your attention.

But then they say this:

Quote:
We want to experiment with and add value to the sources of information that are increasingly important, but difficult to surface and organize in most reader applications — like Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Reddit, LinkedIn, or Hacker News. We likely won’t get everything we want into v1, but we believe it’s worth exploring.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
California Sober

Digg still exists? :awesome:
Stormlight (03-27-2013), Watser? (04-02-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I thought it got dead but apparently it's still a thing!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM

But it looks like it's still just an aggregation site. I don't get how that's supposed to replace an RSS reader.

Am I missing something?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Coffin Creep

The Dead Boys?
curses (03-26-2013), Janet (03-27-2013), lisarea (03-26-2013), Stormlight (03-27-2013), Watser? (04-02-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Newsblur is more like what I was hoping for in an RSS reader visually, but it's crashing fairly often on Android (my primary RSS reader nowadays.)

Feedly is stable and pretty, but I can't seem to get a handle on navigation, and it breaks up all my stories by section (news, comics, etc.), which is OK, but not how I really want it. Also, the "titles" viewing mode doesn't seem to be supported in Android.

Flipbook is really pretty, but it's just a front-end to Google Reader, which is why I'm looking for something different, and Flipbook is so much more than an RSS reader that it's not a very good RSS feed reader.

Sticking with Feedly for now, but will try Newsblur again.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
But it looks like it's still just an aggregation site. I don't get how that's supposed to replace an RSS reader.

Am I missing something?
I think they're going to develop an application that will work in a browser and mobile device. It'll be branded as a Digg.app but won't draw strictly from a Digg feed; you'll be able to curate your own RSS feeds.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-27-2013), lisarea (03-27-2013), specious_reasons (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 AM

A ha! I knew I was missing something.

I totally missed that part.

I think that news aggregation and social sharing sites would suffer the most if RSS went away, so it makes a lot of sense for Digg to get in on that now.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM

So, another gripe about Feedly is that they don't have configurable Send To functionality. In Google Reader, you could create custom items on the Send To menu so, for example, if you use Send To Reader, you could add it to your Send To menu, and one click longer articles directly to your Kindle to read later.

I also use Pocket, so I'm trying to Frankenstein something together with Pocket and IFTTT, but so far I'm not having a lot of luck, largely because IFTTT doesn't have a way to just post to a URL. I'm looking into using Zapier for that part but a) Zapier is kind of ass and b) seriously, I'd be using using 5 different unrelated services (Pocket -> IFTTT -> Evernote, b/c Zapier doesn't have any hooks into Pocket -> Zapier -> SendToReader) just to get a document onto my Kindle?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

I tried Flipbook and Feedly, but didn't like it much. I have been using Pulse on my droid phone and tablet for six months now and I love it. I feel like it is my own newspaper I can curate myself. The last update allows even more pages of content, which I have not maxed out yet.

You can make your own subheadings and fill it with anything. Websites, blogs, tumblrs, and twitters are all equal. Each gets it's own line which displays a retroactive timeline of recent posts with a picture, if available, and a headline. Tap it and it displays a streamlined text version of the site which saves on data when you are mobile. You can flip pages from that view, like a Kindle, to go to the next article or post. Or tap the page again to see the full web version. Or hit back to go to another feed.

It works very intuitively, and I have only found a few weird things that don't work with it. The search feature is pretty good, I think I only found around six sites that weren't supported and they had a suggest button for feedback to get those included. The only one I was really miffed about was Subnormality* for my funny pages. The artist has some kinda address issue.

I can decimate news on it with my morning coffee. Only the stuff I care about though and chose to read, anything boring is gone with a flick of my finger. I feel like an elegant future lady in one of those anachronistic illustrations from the fifties.

You can watch an adorable kid give a review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2plx...e_gdata_player

Though that is a much older version of the app. The new one is much sleeker and expanded, but the same basic concept all grown up.

*ETA: Ha! I just checked and they fixed it. Yay!

Last edited by Demimonde; 04-14-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (04-14-2013), Stormlight (04-25-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:53 PM
puzzler

Google boss, Eric Schmidt, is jealous of my totally innocent and harmless Raspberry Pi drone. :muttercircle:
Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I find it amusing and hypocritical that he would make those complaints when Google constantly violates privacy concerns with their mapping software.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (04-15-2013), lisarea (04-15-2013), Stormlight (04-25-2013), Ymir's blood (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Coffin Creep

I find it amusing and hypocritical that he is listed as being an adviser to the President and saying these things.
ceptimus (04-15-2013), Pan Narrans (04-15-2013), Stormlight (04-25-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Bah! Feedly just crashed on me - failed consistently on a single article. Lack of Android keyboard support and a few more frustrating quirks are making me think I need to find something else.

Of the other RSS readers I have installed, I just don't like Flipbook, and I don't exactly know why. I think the primary reason is that when I get to the end of my feed, the reaction to the "next page" gesture just makes me think I didn't gesture correctly, and I wind up trying 3-4 times before I figure it out.

:shakegoogle:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-23-2013), lisarea (04-23-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Google is watching, and will lock you out of your data when it sees fit.
Dumped! by Google : The Last Word On Nothing
Tienlon HoOne recent Thursday morning, I logged into my email and made an alarming discovery. Instead of opening my inbox, Google directed me to a notice:
Account has been disabled . . . . In most cases, accounts are disabled if we believe you have violated either the Google Terms of Service, product-specific Terms of Service . . . . or product-specific policies . . . . it might be possible to regain access to your account.

In case you’re wondering, in the end, I was fortunate. By Monday, a Googler filed the right internal escalation paperwork on my behalf and on Tuesday morning, six days after I lost access to my account, relayed that it had been restored.
My data was intact save for the last thing I’d worked on–a spreadsheet containing a client’s account numbers and passwords. It seems that Google’s engineers determined this single document violated policy and locked down my entire account. My request to get that document back is still pending.
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-24-2013), lisarea (04-24-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Oh no, Google googled out the entire account!

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology