Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Babby Police

Default Re: Law skewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF
civil procedure (boooooooorrrrring).
You'll be back to that well, guaranteed. Take all the procedure courses, criminal, federal courts, etc. Never mind that substantive shit. You'll see enough of that every day. Procedure and writing & research are your most important courses. And make sure you do a research elective in administrative law or something crazy like that.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Crafty Agitator

I loved Con Law - my prof was kind of like George Carlin, so that may be why. Contracts was okay, kind of dry.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 PM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Yah I feel like a learned a lot of stuff in Civ Pro. Important things like jurisdiction and Erie*, cool-sounding things like issue preclusion, and also that I don't want to take Conflict of Laws.

[/size]
I think the emphasized portion is a conclusion that the majority take away from civ pro.

You'll do fine on your exams. I would recommend that you take as many classes as possible with the professor that you liked. My contracts prof was terrifying, but I learned a great deal in his class and chose to take his con law classes as well. It was a good choice. (At UGA, 1st years don't take con law, you can choose to take it in two semesters later on.)
Old 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM

:shakecane: Back in MY day ....

All first year classes were year-long classes, except that they chose two as an experiment to make one-semester classes. Half my class had one-semester Torts, and half had one-semester Contracts. I was in the half that had one-semester Contracts, and the guy was teaching it with handouts, no textbook. We wondered for the longest time how he was going to teach Contracts in only one semester, with no textbook, and then we found out: it couldn't be done. In subsequent years they offered Torts II to make up for the kids who got cheated out of Torts, but they never offered Contracts II to make up for those who got cheated out of Contracts. Over half the subjects on the bar exam I learned on the Bar Review, not from law school.

My advice, ALWAYS take a class because of the teacher, not because you think you need X subject. If it comes down to taking X subject from a crappy teacher, you'd be better off choosing something else and not taking that class. (In the end, I never took Evidence because of this very thing. I decided I'd rather not know Evidence by not taking it, than not knowing it because I had taken it from the same guy I didn't learn Torts from and didn't learn Con Law from. Evidence made MUCH more sense learning it in the Bar Review.)

Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Quote:
Yah I feel like a learned a lot of stuff in Civ Pro. Important things like jurisdiction and Erie*, cool-sounding things like issue preclusion, and also that I don't want to take Conflict of Laws.
Oh, come on! For entertainment value, nothing beats a Death Match in the ol' steel cage between conflicting laws!
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (12-05-2009), maddog (12-05-2009), Nullifidian (12-06-2009)
Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm the young one on the inside

I can't speak about law but I strongly support what maddog said about teachers.

Planning to go into pharmacy I needed a good grasp of biology.

At school I gave up history to take "Ordinary level" biology. The teacher was crap! So much so that I wasn't entered for the O-level exam.

To study pharmacy I needed Advanced level biology. I could have stayed on at school for two years with the same teacher.

The local technical college did a one-year course leading to advanced level biology. I left school!

The lecturer was an enthusiast who made biology (evolution and all) an exciting subject. After a single year I had no difficulty getting chemistry, physics AND biology at advanced level.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Babby Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
My advice, ALWAYS take a class because of the teacher, not because you think you need X subject.
I agree with that too. Fortunately the best teachers were doing the classes I recommended above. In retrospect while the cases are interesting and fun (the substantive law stuff), the goal of law school is to learn the frameworks of law and the style of reasoning -- such as it is, sometimes -- that the law accepts and encourages within that framework. IMHO, obviously.
Thanks, from:
maddog (12-05-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

I did this advance signup thinger for BarBri's 2012 bar prep course. For a hundred buck deposit I could lock in the tuition at 2009 rates, get a free law summary book, and access to online lectures and outlines on 1L courses. It was totally worth it just for the online lectures. (Erwin Chemerinsky does the Con Law one.) I'm working my way through the 8 hours of property lectures and outlining de novo. It is really useful. In other words, another exciting Saturday night at ChuckF's.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

That is sooooo hot.

:laugh:
Old 12-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
It was totally worth it just for the online lectures. (Erwin Chemerinsky does the Con Law one.)
I know, Chuck, and imma let you finish, but Chem is the BEST TEACHER :professor: OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-06-2009), ChuckF (12-06-2009), Ensign Steve (12-07-2009), Nullifidian (01-26-2010), Qingdai (12-06-2009), Sock Puppet (12-07-2009), Zehava (12-10-2009)
Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
but NO FEDERALIST SOCIETY MEETINGS, not even to point and laugh.
Haha this is funny because today the Federalist Society hosted a speaker. The topic was racism. It did not go well.
Thanks, from:
The Man (01-26-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Babby Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF
Today the Federalist Society hosted a speaker. The topic was racism. It did not go well.
Substantive report or gtfo.
Clutch Munny (01-26-2010), Ensign Steve (01-26-2010), livius drusus (01-26-2010), Nullifidian (01-26-2010), Sock Puppet (01-26-2010), The Man (01-26-2010)
Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Was it a fond retrospective of the best hits of the "affirmative action is reverse racism" cases (the progeny of Regents of the University of California v. Bakke)?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Well there is not a great deal to report. Basically, employment discrimination is :thumbsup: because, uh, black guys can't read. Also, won't someone please think of the children, because they can't play in the streets for all of the black folk. I don't know what kind of crowd they were expecting, but the Federalist Society contingent was in the minority (:freakout:). They were probably nervous because of all those minority types in the same place. Between them and the white liberals, it's lucky we didn't have a communist revolution right then and there. A few people, including some professors, walked out, but after a while everybody just laughed at the crazy lady.
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (01-26-2010), LadyShea (01-26-2010), livius drusus (01-26-2010), Nullifidian (01-26-2010), Stephen Maturin (01-27-2010), The Man (01-26-2010)
Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Nuts, it wasn't "What is Judicial activism: whatever ruling we disagree with." or anything.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-26-2010), The Man (01-26-2010)
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Babby Police

I remember we had Phillip Johnson speak one time, and a professor got very irritated by Johnson's vacuity.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM

Johnson was an assistant dean at Boalt when I attended there. I knew he was conservative, but I was surprised when he wrote Darwin on Trial. He wrote an advocacy piece--the kind of thing where you have bad facts, but have to make them fit the outcome you want to reach. Totally inappropriate to the issue of evolution.

Boalt has John Yoo, now, too. I went to my 25th reunion hoping that he would show up to demonstrate how water-boarding is not torture. But he didn't.

I'll just be sitting here, over in the corner, with a bag over my head. New Orleans currently has a surplus.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (01-26-2010), D. Scarlatti (01-27-2010), Stephen Maturin (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Babby Police

It's funny, because when I heard Johnson was coming, I asked the professor, 'Why are you bringing that tool here? He has nothing to contribute to any debate.' The professor said, 'We should include all the viewpoints.' Then he was the one most annoyed after Johnson rambled about absolutely nothing for more than an hour.
ChuckF (01-27-2010), Clutch Munny (01-27-2010), Nullifidian (01-27-2010), Qingdai (01-27-2010), Stephen Maturin (01-27-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

It's a month into the second semester now. Contracts, con law, criminal law. I honestly cannot even believe how much I hate this.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Clutchenheimer

On the other hand, you get to do it your whole life!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 AM
The cat that will listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny View Post
On the other hand, you get to do it your whole life!
:hahaha:
Thanks, from:
Clutch Munny (02-10-2010), Qingdai (02-09-2010), Watser? (02-10-2010)
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Babby Police

Listened to a guy today who said he'd had a gun put to his head to make him suck three dicks, so there's always that.*

* Sex crimes, like funerals and taxes, appear to be a staple of the human condition.
ChuckF (02-10-2010), Clutch Munny (02-10-2010), Nullifidian (02-10-2010), Qingdai (02-10-2010), Stephen Maturin (02-10-2010)
Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Okay, so I guess we won't be teaming up on that $50 million product liability case anytime soon, huh?

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Babby Police

Ha. Friend of mine's trial; the defendant is charged with several counts of kidnapping and sexual assault (some involving children) and who ill-advisedly decided to take the stand. I watched his cross-examination for awhile (which the DA was enjoying thoroughly). I felt like I was at a bowling alley, what with the eye-rolling among the jury. Some of the jurors were actually visibly laughing at the defendant's testimony. Combative and effeminate is a weird combo in a hostile witness.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scarlatti View Post
Friend of mine's trial
So who was the third guy whose dick got sucked?
ChuckF (02-10-2010), Ensign Steve (02-10-2010), Kael (02-10-2010), livius drusus (02-10-2010), Naru (02-10-2010), Nullifidian (02-11-2010), Sock Puppet (02-10-2010), Stephen Maturin (02-12-2010), viscousmemories (02-10-2010), Watser? (02-10-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall