Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
FYI, I welcome open discussion after people know what the discussion is about.
heh remember the part where you're all tell these naysayers to back off, or I won't be able to continue and how you gotta have your own website so you can have control over what people say? Yeah.
Quote:
Obviously, you don't.
:awesome:
Quote:
Hecklers who pop in at any old time and have something nasty to say I do not accept.
Aww. I wish I could say this mattered. Toughen the fuck up and deal with it, sweetie, or get the fuck out.
Quote:
As far as an inflated and unwarranted sense of self-importance, it just confirms to me that you are one of those types who want to find some reason to hate me, and I really have nothing more to say to you.
Your inflated and unwarranted sense of self-importance confirms that to you, does it? Surely this is just as fascinating as the rest of your stupid ideas.

Yes hello, this thread is relevant here.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-28-2014)
Old 03-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The worldwide level for cat-herding is about a 4 (on a 1-10 scale) but, through my own efforts with our clan, I have achieved a 7! Can this effort be tied in to yours, peacegirl?
You know what, if I'm not being taken seriously, I am going to leave. Even these side jokes that make fun of me are disgusting and I'm really not going to put myself through this. LadyShea, I appreciate your very throughtful questions, but if you want me to continue, I ask you to please tell these naysayers to back off, or I won't be able to continue. Thanks. P.S. I want to add that if this cannot be done because of the 'anything goes' policy, I hope to have a website where people can ask relevant questions. That way, I will have some control. It's just not fair

to have these disruptions that take away from the seriousness of this discussion. And I cannot let that happen.
[quoet="Javaman"]Believe it or not, I was conveying a very serious point through levity. Also, "disgusting"? Really??? :whysoserious:
If you were really trying to relate something of value, then I'm sorry. It sounded sarcastic to me. I guess I am just waiting for the next heckler to ruin it for everyone else.

EDIT:
Quote:
I ask you to please tell these naysayers to back off, or I won't be able to continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman
Look, you are (sort of) proposing something that has inherent flaws. "Naysayers" are healthy to a discussion and should help you (assuming you apply the criticism to strengthening your case/argument).
An honest question can do the same thing without the snide remarks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I want to add that if this cannot be done because of the 'anything goes' policy, I hope to have a website where people can ask relevant questions. That way, I will have some control. It's just not fair to have these disruptions that take away from the seriousness of this discussion. And I cannot let that happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman
This is a "forum" but, if you want to post an essay, there's a place for that as well.
This is not my first rodeo Javaman. The naysayers are not worth their salt until they understand what they are disagreeing with. To just make degrading comments to get a rise is horribly distracting and makes a joke of the whole thread. The comedic asides and the tomato throwing is not part of a serious discussion. As far as posting an essay, that's why I gave everyone the link to the book.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Has Peacegirl anywhere in this thread presented, in her own words, a cogent, one- or two-paragaph summary of the main argument of the book? If so, can anyone link to it? If not, it's hard to understand what she hopes to discuss. Even the main points of something as complex as quantum mechanics can be summed up in a few paragraphs.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-21-2011), erimir (03-20-2011), Javaman (03-19-2011), Naru (03-19-2011), wildernesse (03-20-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
As far as posting an essay, that's why I gave everyone the link to the book.
And now we are discussing! Hooray!
Quote:
{...} you are one of those types who want to find some reason to hate me, and I really have nothing more to say to you.
Calm down! Jesus L. Christ, nobody hates you. [armchair]You seem to have difficulties disassociating yourself from your ideas.[/armchair]:therapy:
Old 03-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Has Peacegirl anywhere in this thread presented, in her own words, a cogent, one- or two-paragaph summary of the main argument of the book? If so, can anyone link to it? If not, it's hard to understand what she hopes to discuss. Even the main points of something as complex as quantum mechanics can be summed up in a few paragraphs.
You dirty, mean-spirited, hateful person! Don't you know it won't make sense as a summary!!!

Seriously, though, it wouldn't hurt... Just sayin'.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 PM

[quote=ChuckF;926135]
Quote:
heh remember the part where you're all tell these naysayers to back off, or I won't be able to continue and how you gotta have your own website so you can have control over what people say? Yeah.
Quote:
Obviously, you don't.
Quote:
Hecklers who pop in at any old time and have something nasty to say I do not accept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF
Aww. I wish I could say this mattered. Toughen the fuck up and deal with it, sweetie, or get the fuck out.
You are so predictable.

Quote:
As far as an inflated and unwarranted sense of self-importance, it just confirms to me that you are one of those types who want to find some reason to hate me, and I really have nothing more to say to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF
Your inflated and unwarranted sense of self-importance confirms that to you, does it? Surely this is just as fascinating as the rest of your stupid ideas.

Yes it does. It's okay to try and knock me down. But you won't keep me down for long. I will bet that you don't even know the first thing about this book. It's always those types who are the angriest because they make so many false assumptions. They think that by attacking, they are saving the flock. Your mean comments will not get me to the point where I lower myself to your level. Just know that you are now being ignored. :wave:
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
Just know that you are now on ignore. :wave:
I say this without malice: sadly, this is why you will go to your grave with your lofty ideas wasted. Your stubbornness will be your ultimate downfall. :sadyup:
Old 03-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
As far as posting an essay, that's why I gave everyone the link to the book.
And now we are discussing! Hooray!
Quote:
{...} you are one of those types who want to find some reason to hate me, and I really have nothing more to say to you.
Calm down! Jesus L. Christ, nobody hates you. [armchair]You seem to have difficulties disassociating yourself from your ideas.[/armchair]:therapy:
I do take these comments personally. I can joke too, but there is a time and place for everything. I can't stand people who have not been here from day one and think they can just come in here and say whatever they want, just because they had a bad hair day. Don't take it out on me, okay? :whup:
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just know that you are now on ignore. :wave:
I say this without malice: sadly, this is why you will go to your grave with your lofty ideas wasted. Your stubbornness will be your ultimate downfall. :sadyup:
Only time will tell Javaman. I am not stubborn. I am willing to listen to everyone, and I am taking everything they say to heart. In fact, I changed some of the wording in the book because of people I have talked to through my travels on these forums. That does not change the fact that heckling has no purpose except to cause a disturbance. I mean can you imagine hecklers being allowed to yell obscenities at the State of the Union address? Security would they throw them out? They are entitled to disagree with the President, but not to show disrespect. There is a big difference. People are interjecting their nasty comments because they don't respect me. They are probably thinking who the hell am I to come in here and claim that I have a discovery that no one else knows about.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
People are interjecting their nasty comments because they don't respect me. They are probably thinking who the hell am I to come in here and claim that I have a discovery that no one else knows about.
This... this a thousand times is what is wrong! Its not you they don't respect. You are getting hot and bothered for the wrong reasons. The more I think about it, it really is your approach that is all wrong (as you alluded to in the above quote) and that is what needs work. Your wrong-footed start is what breeds the 'hecklers' -- though that is not what I'd call them at all. You are causing the resulting lack of respect, madame president.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
First of all, as much as it pains me to say so, I am not the boss of them.
Finally, some cathartic truth here at the Free Thought Talk and Chat Emporium. Now, maybe someone will link to us.
It's Free Thought Talk Forum and Chat Emporium dammit :glare:

Back to the naughty corner!

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Javaman (03-19-2011), Naru (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
I can't stand people who have not been here from day one and think they can just come in here and say whatever they want, just because they had a bad hair day. Don't take it out on me, okay? :whup:
What makes you think we haven't been here? I know I reserved any opinion (however minute) until several pages of posts had gone by. I started reading the day you put up your first post -- as, I venture to guess, did most others that you're getting all huffy about.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, you don't.
Quote:
Quote:

Now I get why you say gtfo all the time. :D
Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
People are interjecting their nasty comments because they don't respect me. They are probably thinking who the hell am I to come in here and claim that I have a discovery that no one else knows about.
This... this a thousand times is what is wrong! Its not you they don't respect. You are getting hot and bothered for the wrong reasons. The more I think about it, it really is your approach that is all wrong (as you alluded to in the above quote) and that is what needs work. Your wrong-footed start is what breeds the 'hecklers' -- though that is not what I'd call them at all. You are causing the resulting lack of respect, madame president.
How am I breeding the hecklers, Monsieur Javaman??
Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
First of all, as much as it pains me to say so, I am not the boss of them.
Finally, some cathartic truth here at the Free Thought Talk and Chat Emporium. Now, maybe someone will link to us.
It's Free Thought Talk Forum and Chat Emporium dammit :glare:

Back to the naughty corner!
I realize that, and I came here while waiting for my proof. I think I'm a masochist. :doh:
Old 03-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Today our conscience level is at about a 7 on a scale from 1-10; in the new world it will be at a 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Define "conscience level" and describe how created the scale and determined a 7.
I was just showing that blame and punishment allows conscience to be lowered because we can always find a way to justify our behavior. I was using the scale loosely so you could get an idea of why we are not getting the desired results.
What makes you think the voice of conscience can be attenuated at all without being silenced altogether?

Quote:
I do take these comments personally.
I know better than to do that; and if you have any understanding of human nature that's worth imparting to others, you do as well.

~ Dorothy ~
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-19-2011), Naru (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Just know that you are now being ignored. :wave:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, you don't.
Quote:
Quote:

When you lie and say that you've put someone on ignore and really don't, that is called pretend ignore and it is wonderful. You are not the first liar to put me on pretend ignore. It's not especially surprising, since you're clearly so self-involved that you can't ignore posts that might be about you, for better or for worse.

Anyway, [thanks] for the pretend ignore.
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-19-2011), Crumb (03-21-2011), erimir (03-20-2011), Naru (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I can't stand people who have not been here from day one and think they can just come in here and say whatever they want, just because they had a bad hair day. Don't take it out on me, okay? :whup:
What makes you think we haven't been here? I know I reserved any opinion (however minute) until several pages of posts had gone by. I started reading the day you put up your first post -- as, I venture to guess, did most others that you're getting all huffy about.
So why haven't you joined in the conversation? Why do I feel I'm going to be pounced on at any minute? I'm here because there are some people who seem to be interested.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just know that you are now being ignored. :wave:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, you don't.
Quote:
Quote:

When you lie and say that you've put someone on ignore and really don't, that is called pretend ignore and it is wonderful. You are not the first liar to put me on pretend ignore. It's not especially surprising, since you're clearly so self-involved that you can't ignore posts that might be about you, for better or for worse.

Anyway, [thanks] for the pretend ignore.
Actually, I really am able to ignore people, but after reading your post, you don't seem like such a bad guy afterall. :yup:

Last edited by peacegirl; 03-19-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM

[quote=yguy;926189]
Quote:
Quote:
Today our conscience level is at about a 7 on a scale from 1-10; in the new world it will be at a 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Define "conscience level" and describe how created the scale and determined a 7.
I was just showing that blame and punishment allows conscience to be lowered because we can always find a way to justify our behavior. I was using the scale loosely so you could get an idea of why we are not getting the desired results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yguy
What makes you think the voice of conscience can be attenuated at all without being silenced altogether?
The ability to ease one's conscience is not difficult in our society. It takes a lot to completely silence it. Most people have a fairly strong conscience. They might try to get away with little things they know are not completely honest. Then there are those whose conscience is so attenuated that they will do things that the average person would never even consider.

Quote:
I do take these comments personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yguy
I know better than to do that; and if you have any understanding of human nature that's worth imparting to others, you do as well.
Intellectually I realize that, but emotionally I still take things to heart. I wish I was more thick skinned.

Last edited by peacegirl; 03-19-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Still hoping for a reply to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Honestly? I felt sorry for you at your opening post. It actually sounded to me like email or Facebook spam or a hard sell of a dubious product.

"I have a secret will revolutionize thought!" looks on par to "Try this simple trick to lose inches from your waistline." It's just crying for parody and insults.

Quote:
Why do I feel I'm going to be pounced on at any minute?
It's the asynchronous nature of the forum. This thread was already 2 pages long before I bothered to read it the first time. Try not to let it worry you if you can. You can always start another thread and invite Lady Shea (who's really been awfully nice to you) to continue there.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Speaking as someone who has also been reading this thread from day one, do go on. Although I would advise you to take wildernesse's suggestion to heart and learn to use the quote function. I had to skip some parts where I couldn't figure out who was talking to whom.

Aside to Brotherman and JoeP: splitters!!
BrotherMan (03-19-2011), Javaman (03-19-2011), JoeP (03-19-2011), Naru (03-19-2011), wildernesse (03-20-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Wildcard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
You can always start another thread and invite Lady Shea (who's really been awfully nice to you) to continue there.
This is not a bad idea, really. If you begin a discussion with actual information and let people discuss it without getting butt-hurt, it might be worthwhile. When we get to those things that you need to back up with evidence or, at the very least, expound on, you need to do your part. The nebulousness of this entire discussion is a royal pain and it still really feels like you're being evasive.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Honestly? I felt sorry for you at your opening post. It actually sounded to me like email or Facebook spam or a hard sell of a dubious product.

"I have a secret will revolutionize thought!" looks on par to "Try this simple trick to lose inches from your waistline." It's just crying for parody and insults.

Quote:
Why do I feel I'm going to be pounced on at any minute?
It's the asynchronous nature of the forum. This thread was already 2 pages long before I bothered to read it the first time. Try not to let it worry you if you can. You can always start another thread and invite Lady Shea (who's really been awfully nice to you) to continue there.
Thank you specious_reasons. It's been a difficult road because everyone things I'm a snake oil salesman. I have to remember that I have grown up with this knowledge so it's hard for me to put myself in everyone's shoes. I know this discovery is genuine, but there is no way for anyone to know that at this point. I really don't want to leave people out by starting a new thread. I am just asking people to be a little more sensitive, even if they disagree.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy