Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 01-18-2020, 06:50 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Long form recommendations.

Neil Postman, Revisited: Are We Having Too Much Fun? - The Atlantic

This article is great, and it's not really all that long, but I also strongly recommend Amusing Ourselves to Death to anyone who hasn't read it. It's a little dated, but as the article says, its general arguments are even more applicable now than they were at the time. (That argument, and that book in particular, played a big part in why I didn't have a TV for a long time.)
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-18-2020), BrotherMan (01-18-2020), Ensign Steve (01-21-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-18-2020), mickthinks (01-19-2020), SR71 (01-19-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 08:16 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Shudder has a new docuseries called "Cursed Films" which covers five classically "cursed" movie productions. They have been releasing them over this month, and the final 2 dropped not that long ago.

They cover "The Exorcist", "The Omen", "Poltergeist", "The Crow", and "Twilight Zone: The Movie". Each episode covers one movie, and there is a slightly different take to each film. For example, "The Exorcist" implies that the difficulty on set and other coincidences surrounding the film did a lot to promote the film. "The Crow" talks about the Lee family curse, but they also have a weapons expert demonstrate exactly what happened to allow a gun with blanks to kill Brandon Lee.

What pleased me were the voices of reason - there was quite a bit of balanced storytelling. The most surprising was Michael Berryman (the pointy-headed guy from "The Hills Have Eyes") waxing philosophically and basically blaming union busting productions for Brandon Lee's death.

They had actual skeptics on film. Unfortunately, one of the skeptics who got the most time was rumored creep Michael Shermer. At least his performance wasn't too embarrassing.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-23-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-23-2020), lisarea (04-23-2020), Sock Puppet (04-23-2020), SR71 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 07:37 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Couple of humdingers from Salon. One guy about how things are coming apart at the seams and surplus labor and duopoly and oligarchs and how corporate Biden is and what have you.

Pulitzer winner Chris Hedges: These "are the good times compared to what's coming next" | Salon.com

Another one about AOC and Warren wanting to block mergers and so forth for the duration of the catastrophe. There's an AOC tweet about something I've been meaning to mention but somehow keeps slipping my mind. We all have some idea what went on with stimulus 3 & 4 but I heard barely a thing about 1 & 2. My impression was that they were 4 trillion to prop up the bond market or some shit.

Warren and Ocasio-Cortez demand halt of corporate mergers during pandemic to protect workers | Salon.com
Crumb (04-29-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-29-2020), lisarea (04-29-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:41 PM
Crumb 2.7 is now available!

Why Do Republican Leaders Continue to Enable Trump? - The Atlantic
SR71 (06-03-2020)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature