Natural Language Processing
Game Theory
Probabilistic Graphical Models
Cryptography
Design and Analysis of Algorithms I

You can sign up at any of these by going to the bottom of the screen @

Design and Analysis of Algorithms I
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-23-2011), ceptimus (11-23-2011), Contrapposto (12-11-2011), Deadlokd (11-23-2011), Dingfod (11-24-2011), Fencesitter (11-23-2011), LadyShea (11-23-2011), lisarea (11-23-2011), Sauron (11-28-2011), SharonDee (11-23-2011), SR71 (11-24-2011), Waluigi (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: New Free Stanford classes...

That's pretty awesome. MIT offers some free courses as well. It's a good time to be an autodidact.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM
puzzler

Thanks.

I signed up for the Machine Learning course that begins in January. I expect to have a little more free time early next year - enough time to squeeze in the coursework, I hope! :crossed:
Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Not as smart as Adam

Thanks! I just signed up for cryptography but I'm wondering if I should have picked Game Theory. It looks awesome.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I signed up for the Lean Launchpad entrepreneurship course. I am trying to talk my main client into a "relaunch", to sort of start over. This will be most helpful in that endeavor, should they decide to run with my idea.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

I'm thinking about the CS101 class. I didn't take CS in college, but a few courses involved programming PLD's like Xilinx, we did some stuff with 8086's like generate waveforms and minor video output, we goofed around with ucontrollers quite a bit. A lot of the programming was the ljump, call, mov sort of thing. I learned all the ways to code numbers, bcd, hex, etc. The courses were oriented much more toward physical control systems than data processing, except for one ungodly course in digital signal processing. I think that was like the Senior math hurdle, not as if anyone will ever ask me to write a filter. :D One course in C, one in C+. I haven't coded beans in 8 years. Huh, it says for zero experience. Sounds good, I'm signing up.

TMI? Sorry gaiz. :yawn:

Thanks much for the link, naturalist.atheist! :wave:

Last edited by SR71; 11-23-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I signed up for the Lean Launchpad entrepreneurship course. I am trying to talk my main client into a "relaunch", to sort of start over. This will be most helpful in that endeavor, should they decide to run with my idea.
That would be my second choice. It fits with a theme of trying to launch operations on a shoestring, a little any ways. Good for you, hope it's fun and you learn a lot! :wave:
Old 11-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Reality Adventurer

I've signed up for all of them except machine learning, green construction and CS101. Hopefully only a few of them will compel me to continue. Otherwise I may have to give up sleep.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (11-24-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 AM
Reality Adventurer

They've added a new course: Anatomy
Thanks, from:
Deadlokd (11-25-2011), LadyShea (01-05-2012)
Old 11-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Thanks.

I signed up for the Machine Learning course that begins in January. I expect to have a little more free time early next year - enough time to squeeze in the coursework, I hope! :crossed:
If you have a good math background, particularly linear algebra then you shouldn't have that much trouble. All the exercises use a tool called Octave which with a little fiddling you can express most of the assignments in a few lines of vector/matrix notation.

I am finding the course very interesting. I hope I find the opportunity to apply what I've learnt.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Reality Adventurer

They have added two more courses:
Computer Security
Model Thinking
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (12-03-2011), Fencesitter (01-07-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Reality Adventurer

If you are interested in the Machine Learning class but don't think your linear algebra is up to it MIT has a great course given by Gilbert Strang: MIT OpenCourseWare | Mathematics | 18.06 Linear Algebra, Spring 2010 | Home

The class textbook is available on google books:

Introduction to linear algebra - Gilbert Strang - Google Books

I don't know if google books will let you read all the book but you can read parts.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (01-07-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Reality Adventurer

Many of these classes start Jan 23, (five days). So get ready .... get set .....
Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 AM
puzzler

I got an email about my signing up for the Machine Learning Class. Apparently over 44,000 people have signed up for it, and there are likely to be some delays before the class begins. They've not set a new date for the start of class as they say they don't want to announce a date only to miss the deadline again.

So far, in preparation, I've downloaded and installed Octave on an Ubuntu machine, played with that a bit, and watched some of the videos naturalist.atheist linked to.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Not as smart as Adam

58 000 signed up to the Cryptography class and it has been delayed too. Not sure the numbers on the anatomy class but that has also been delayed.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Reality Adventurer

Yeah, I just received several emails and they all allude to administrative issues. When the machine learning class ended the statement of accomplishment was delayed two weeks. From what I gathered the statement of accomplishment given by the ai class used the Stanford letterhead but were not signed. The ml statements had no letterhead but were signed. Many of the students wanted a certificate kept on file at Stanford as verified credit and some students got nasty about it. I also expect that MITs plans to offer credit also plays into this.

I doubt the issue is over technical problems.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:25 PM
puzzler

Why should anyone think they should get any sort of credit / statement / certificate for completing a completely free course? Shouldn't the class members just be grateful to these organisations for providing them with free teaching?
Thanks, from:
Contrapposto (01-22-2012), SR71 (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Why should anyone think they should get any sort of credit / statement / certificate for completing a completely free course? Shouldn't the class members just be grateful to these organisations for providing them with free teaching?
This same observation regarding gift horses and mouths was presented many times by other students including myself. But people being what they are, I guess Stanford should have anticipated this. Also with enrollment across these courses numbering in the hundreds of thousands, there is a heck of an economic opportunity here by making available some sort of certificate from Stanford for a small fee even if there is no academic credit associated with it. If it were a $100.00 or less I'd buy it. This could amount to hundreds of millions of extra revenue a year for essentially providing a great public service.
Thanks, from:
Contrapposto (01-22-2012), SR71 (01-21-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM
A Warrior for Positronic Freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
This same observation regarding gift horses and mouths was presented many times by other students including myself. But people being what they are, I guess Stanford should have anticipated this. Also with enrollment across these courses numbering in the hundreds of thousands, there is a heck of an economic opportunity here by making available some sort of certificate from Stanford for a small fee even if there is no academic credit associated with it. If it were a $100.00 or less I'd buy it. This could amount to hundreds of millions of extra revenue a year for essentially providing a great public service.
I second that motion. I'd be willing to pay for any number of the classes I've found at MIT and even Khan Academy. I'm certainly grateful for these institutions offering courses purely for free, but I'd be happy to pay. Perhaps a voluntary donation would be appropriate.
"Knowledge is indivisible. When people grow wise in one direction, they are sure to make it easier for themselves to grow wise in other directions as well. On the other hand, when they split up knowledge, concentrate on their own field, and scorn and ignore other fields, they grow less wise — even in their own field." - Isaac Asimov
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
puzzler

Up till today, two of the coursera courses I'd signed up for (machine learning and computer vision) were on hold. I've been keeping busy with the model thinking class though.

Anyway, today, both courses have gone live! The timing is not so good for me, as I have lots to do at work now - a couple of months ago, things were easier.

Still, the courses are free, so even if I 'fail' them, I'll still have learned something. :winner:

Anyone interested still has time to sign up. Lots of different subjects to pick from. All free.

Start here

:psst: There is 'A History of the World since 1300' class starting in September, that might interest a certain admin. Also 'Greek and Roman Mythology'. :yup:

I wonder which posters might like the 'Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World' course? :chin:

Similarly for 'Listening to World Music', starting in July. :chin:
Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Reality Adventurer

I'm taking the ML class again because there are some fellow students who want to give it a go and I volunteered to lead the study group. In the meantime I am struggling with the Probabilistic Graphical Models class. The instructor of the PGM course has not made much of an effort to reach a broad audience whereas the ML instructor did a fantastic job. I've been watching some of the current ML videos and it looks like he's improved them.

Also Coursera has added a number of courses from Princeton.

Last edited by naturalist.atheist; 04-24-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Admin

I forgot all about this until last night when I saw this Ted talk on the subject.

http://www.ted.com/talks/daphne_koll...education.html

I'm now signed up for Introduction to Computer Networking, Algebra and An Introduction to the U.S. Food System- Perspectives from Public Health.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-19-2013), livius drusus (01-19-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Reality Adventurer

I'm taking "Programming Languages" from Dan Grossman (University of Washington) and I'm finding it very interesting. So far the class has concentrated on "Functional" programming as implemented in Standard Meta Language (SML), which is very different from conventional programming as one would do it in java, C or C++. Terms that I've heard bandied about like "first class functions" or "closure" or "lexical context" now make much more sense to me. And I can see how these have been introduced into languages like C#. Can't wait till he gets to Haskell and Ruby.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

My class for Writing History on canvas.net starts today. Here's a quick summary of the class.

Quote:
This class is not a "how history should be written" class. You can decide that for yourselves. This class is a "why history has been written the way it has." Thus we will not come to any sweeping conclusions about the best ways to practice history. Instead we will examine the successes, failures and best practices historians have engaged in throughout the centuries to better assess why historical scholarship is the way that it is.
livius drusus (02-12-2013), Ymir's blood (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

That is highly relevant to my interests. Please to start thrad!
Thanks, from:
curses (02-12-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall