Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I had forgotten Isis ever existed. I'm not entirely happy to be reminded.
But... Archer!
Not the goddess or the spy agency, the TV show. Big difference there.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 12-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

When I was doing book 'reviews,' I wasn't supposed to do any actual negative reviews. But once, I had a review due for this really hamhanded true crime story that was obviously supposed to come off as really dark and edgy and stuff, so I just wrote my review as though it was a wacky comedy book or something. I think I called it 'rollicking.'

My point being that either the person who wrote this Netflix blurb for Bubble didn't see the movie at all, or they hated it and are being passive aggressive like I did with that book.

I know the blurbs on Netflix suck sometimes, but I have never seen one get both the tone and the plot of the movie so completely wrong. :trophy:

It is set in Ohio and there is a doll factory. A-1 job on the parts where it says that. But there are no antics, and no, that stuff they say is not the plot at all. WTF? It's a very slow paced, kind of atmospheric story, and the dialog has this kind of weird quality, like it's a little bit stilted and weirdly formalistic, which I couldn't put my finger on until I looked it up and found out that they were all untrained actors working without a script. Which makes it sound like the dialog was bad. It wasn't. I thought it had a really cool effect, kind of uncomfortable and hypnotic at the same time.

I really, really liked it. It was also a weird surprise because of that blurb.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (12-29-2013), Janet (12-29-2013), Nullifidian (12-29-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 AM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Amazon Prime/Animated Movies: "Paprika". Three DC Minis, machines that let you step into someone else's dream--and tap into any psychiatric machine running--go missing. Chaos ensues, as dreams invade reality. In Japanese, with subtitles. Don't miss it!
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (01-08-2014), Ensign Steve (12-30-2013), Janet (01-03-2014), livius drusus (01-05-2014), Qingdai (12-31-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 03:48 PM
California Sober

Computer Chess (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one is on Netflix instant, we watched it last night but I had seen it once before in an accidentally overly cool way.

My last night in LA, I was all packed up and ready to go home and I had already said goodbye to everybody and I was like what the hell am I going to do tonight? So I hit up the moviefone app and this Computer Chess thing was playing at the Nuart, which is where we used to go see Rocky Horror on Saturdays.

So I go and it turns out to be some special showing of the thing and the creators and stuff are there for Q&A after the movie. The movie was great and it was all shot on the real cameras of the 80s, and it's like seriously fairly accurate with the technical jargon which made me lol throughout.

Anyway, watch it, nerds.
lisarea (12-30-2013), livius drusus (01-05-2014), SharonDee (12-30-2013)
Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 PM
A fellow sophisticate

A list of 800 movies (and tv series) available on Netflix Instant Online is maintained on IMDB.

IMDb: 800 Netflix Titles: (Watch Instantly) Online: - a list by ForPeopleNotSheeple

Edited to add: I've seen about 300 or so of these 800, some of those I wish I hadn't bothered, still others because there was nothing else on tv or in the theaters back in the 70s or 80s. There are probably 400 or so of these I will never bother to see. That leaves around a hundred that I have yet to see, but think I might want to, maybe.

Last edited by Dingfod; 01-05-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-05-2014), Janet (01-08-2014), JoeP (01-05-2014), lisarea (01-05-2014), SharonDee (01-20-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Oh, holy fuck, The Following is so so stupid.

In its defense, it does have a lot of murders. Like an extremely super lot.

So dumb, though. So so dumb. You can't even avoid it by turning off the sound, because the Edgar Allen Poe cult writes the word Nevermore really big on everything. It's how you can tell they're smart and literate.

At one point, brilliant detective guy Kevin Bacon says something like, "NEVERMORE! That's from Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven! It symbolizes the finality of death!"

He just pieced all that stuff together without even checking Google on his phone or consulting with any critical theorists or anything.

God, I don't even care if I'm spoiling. I really just needed to complain about it, because I watched three episodes last night, so almost three hours, not counting the several times I fell asleep.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-06-2014), BrotherMan (01-05-2014), Watser? (01-08-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I had to stop watching that myself. Mostly on account of it totally depressed me. The whole damn thing was just so heavy. How many damn people did this guy and this guy's people influence, like, for reals? It seemed like every third person you meet on the show was corrupted into his service. And there aren't any "just a chauffeur" or whatever. Every person has to prove their bona fides by getting somebody murdered or worse.

And the Poe symbolism Kevin Bacon knowed that from the first time he caught Mr Killer Man a-murdering people.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 PM

I have this disability that I cannot be scared of things that are too ridiculous, so the only thing that even disturbs me is that people get paid to make ridiculous things. Like, no matter how gory and horrific something is, if it's written so badly that I can't suspend my disbelief or get into it for the story itself (as in an implausible story that is actually well written magical realism or something), I am just sitting there the whole time taking umbrage.

And the overarching problem with that show, of course, is that Edgar Allen Poe was mad with grief, not bloodlust.* He fell pretty decidedly on the con- side of the fence as far as killing beautiful ladies, which I would have imagined that a respected Edgar Allen Poe scholar might have noticed, much as I did when I was, oh, say, EIGHT YEARS OLD.

Tragically, I really like scary movies, so I keep trying, and I keep watching really dumb crap.

I also watched V/H/S on Netflix the other day, which bothered Matlock enough that he had to leave, but only had maybe 90 seconds of actual creepy parts, and the rest was really, really stupid.

* I also got p. mad when I learned lo these many years ago that hapless, tragic everyman Solomon Grundy is a bad guy in Superman. SOLOMON GRUNDY DID NOTHING WRONG. LEAVE HIM ALONE, STUPID-MAN.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-06-2014), BrotherMan (01-06-2014), Janet (01-08-2014), livius drusus (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM
California Sober

SOLOMON GRUNDY WANT PANTS TOO!
Adam (01-06-2014), BrotherMan (01-06-2014), Janet (01-08-2014), Kael (01-08-2014), lisarea (01-05-2014), livius drusus (01-05-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:35 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Law Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
* I also got p. mad when I learned lo these many years ago that hapless, tragic everyman Solomon Grundy is a bad guy in Superman. SOLOMON GRUNDY DID NOTHING WRONG. LEAVE HIM ALONE, STUPID-MAN.
Oh gosh, pea! If you want to make comic nerds cry like babbys then ask them about Bird-nose and Grundy. They will get all misty eyed and then you can win them to your side for being in the know about a thing they love.

Thanks, from:
Janet (01-08-2014), lisarea (01-06-2014), wei yau (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 AM
Tellifying

*is crying like a babby now
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:cheerhug:
Thanks, from:
wei yau (02-06-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM

:sniffle:
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-08-2014), wei yau (02-06-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 AM

"The History of Future Folk" (suggested by Netflix because of my "interest in Men in Black"):

Quote:
An alien ordered to colonize Earth abandons his mission when he hears music for the first time and is determined to save his adopted planet.
Totally low-budget, cheesy, and full of logical impossibilities and plot holes. What's not to like?

Last edited by ShottleBop; 01-13-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (01-26-2014), Janet (01-15-2014), lisarea (02-06-2014), SharonDee (01-13-2014), Watser? (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 PM
California Sober

I discovered Visioneers by accident on Popcorn Flix, but it's also on Netflix Instant. As I have alluded to in the past, Zach Galifianakis is kind of hit-or-miss for me, but this one was a hit. He works a hella boring job at a Kafka-esque corporation, and apparently is very rich (though I can't tell if that's because of his job or there may be some family money in there as well), and I think it really nails how empty it can feel when you appear successful on the outside, but you don't actually find what you do worthwhile.

At several points he layers up a corporate hoodie over a corporate t-shirt, not that it's his work uniform, but that all of his casual laying about clothes are swag given to him by the corporation. Hit a little close to home.

:shakegoogle:

Last edited by Ensign Steve; 01-16-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-16-2014), Janet (01-16-2014), lisarea (01-16-2014), SharonDee (01-16-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 PM

Watched this last night: A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman (2012) - IMDb
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (01-19-2014), Janet (01-20-2014), Sock Puppet (01-20-2014), Watser? (01-19-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 PM

I found this site, which lists any Criterion Collection movies on Netflix streaming.

http://streamingcriterions.com/

So I watched 3 Women last night. I don't usually care much about Robert Altman, but I watched it because my bro told me this might be one of his favorite movies. And it was really, really good. One of those movies where you have to watch it at least once more after you have the context.

I also watched King of the Hill, which was OK, but I didn't think it was great or anything and don't know why it's in the Criterion collection except that it has baby Adrien Brody in it. (Awwww, so cute!) Also Spalding Gray and Lauryn Hill. Still just an OK movie, though, I thought. Not my thing, anyway.

But look at the reviews. Who the fuck leaves reviews for a movie based entirely on their disappointment that it's not the cartoon they wanted to watch? Stupid whiny children is who.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-06-2014), BrotherMan (02-06-2014), Crumb (02-06-2014), Demimonde (02-06-2014), Ensign Steve (02-06-2014), Janet (02-06-2014), Kael (02-06-2014), livius drusus (02-06-2014), Nullifidian (02-08-2014), SharonDee (02-06-2014), Watser? (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Sigh Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Quote:
Who the fuck leaves reviews for a movie based entirely on their disappointment that it's not the cartoon they wanted to watch? Stupid whiny children is who.
I know, right?!

I had a similar experience at the Google Play store while downloading a game. The reviews were all, "Why ads popping up all the time? Why? Why? This game would be so much better if there were no ads!"

DO NONE OF THESE IDIOTS WONDER WHY THE APP IS FUCKING FREE?!

BrotherMan (02-06-2014), Janet (02-06-2014), lisarea (02-06-2014), Nullifidian (02-08-2014), Watser? (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Since my beginning of streaming the netflix, the FOX show King of the Hill was one of the runs that I watched, partly because I'd never seent them all and partly to have something on while I was doing another thing. A lot of the ragebabbys seem to have been using it like syndication, playing episodes just to have episodes playing so they're angry that their security blanket had been so meanly taken away by the Lords of Streaming. It makes me ashamed that I even like the same thing that they do.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 PM

I don't know, maybe they want to warn people so they don't make the same mistake. I have only written two book reviews on Amazon and both were for books that didn't have the content their titles implied. I explained that while they may be good books, you shouldn't buy them if you actually wanted to read about the things or persons named in the title. I thought it was only right to warn other people.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 PM

I get being disappointed and even using Netflix like eternal on demand syndication. I do that a little bit sometimes, too. And I get mad at Netflix all the time.

What I don't get is lashing out at something completely unrelated to have your temper tantrum. That movie has nothing to do with that cartoon show, and it predates it by several years, so it's not like Soderbergh was trying to capitalize on the popularity of the cartoon show by calling his movie the same name or whatever. It's pretty obvious from the picture and description that this isn't the cartoon show, and even if it weren't, it doesn't merit giving a movie you didn't watch a one star review.

I sometimes actually look at and pay some attention to the user reviews on Netflix, partly because Netflix really sucks at synopses and a couple of times they've mixed things up and stuff, so it's nice if other users point things like that out. The crybaby reviews actually make those types of comments harder to find.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-06-2014), Crumb (02-06-2014), Janet (02-07-2014), Nullifidian (02-08-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
A lot of the ragebabbys seem to have been using it like syndication, playing episodes just to have episodes playing
Quote:
I get being disappointed and even using Netflix like eternal on demand syndication. I do that a little bit sometimes, too.
I'm legit confused. Sincere question: Are we not supposed to be doing that?

Because that is 99.9% what I use Netflix for.
Adam (02-07-2014), Janet (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

No, Steve. You're supposed to watch it. So you can be further edified or entertained, maybe enlightened or so you can pack more trivia in your brain. GOSH. DO I HAVE TO TEACH YOU HOW TO WATCH THE TELEVISION.
Thanks, from:
Adam (02-07-2014), Ensign Steve (02-07-2014), Janet (02-07-2014), JoeP (02-07-2014), livius drusus (02-07-2014), Pan Narrans (02-07-2014), Sock Puppet (02-10-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 AM
California Sober

Oh, I see where you are confused. I only watch shows that I have seen all the episodes enough times already that there's no way for me to get any kind of new trivia or enlightening at this point. At least on Netflix. The new stuff comes on Hulu.

:weirdtv:
Adam (02-07-2014), BrotherMan (02-07-2014), Janet (02-07-2014), livius drusus (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:15 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I apologize, I did kind of gloss over the sincere legit question: No, there's nothing wrong with using the netflix as a sort of mental babbysitter. I know I've left the tube on just for the impression that the house isn't empty, I've had netflix in a background tab while playing a game (and vice versa, had a game idling in the background while I watched some intertube going).
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (02-07-2014), Janet (02-07-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature