Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 07-12-2019, 11:36 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Default Re: First World Problems

I went to a concert and got a T-Shirt, but they gave me the ladies style and I forgot to check before coming home. While it wouldn't bother me to wear it, it doesn't fit me.

...and I can't get that T-Shirt pattern from their website.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (07-14-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-13-2019), lisarea (07-13-2019), slimshady2357 (07-13-2019), Stormlight (07-16-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:51 PM
NPC

#manproblems
BrotherMan (07-13-2019), JoeP (07-14-2019), lisarea (07-13-2019), Stormlight (07-16-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:57 AM
NPC

I am trying to book a time for my hairdresser for around the 15th, as I get paid then and it will be suitably the perfect exactly 6 weeks since my last hair cut.

Apparently she starts her holiday that week. Away 4 weeks. :brooding: :freakout:
JoeP (08-02-2019), Limoncello (08-02-2019), lisarea (08-02-2019), Stormlight (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Solipsist

:freakout:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 08-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Solipsist

Get Emma to do it.

Thanks, from:
Limoncello (08-02-2019), Miisa (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Quality Contributor

Get JoeP to do it! :scissors:
Old 08-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I can't sleep well at all if it's too hot, so this spring, I did a ton of research to find a room sized air conditioner for the bedroom so I could sleep during the summer. I got the top rated air conditioner from Wirecutter and Consumer Reports, and even got a larger size than needed for the room, just to be on the safe side.

Nowhere in the reviews or the product listing or even on the box does it tell you that the cooling maxes out at 60F, or about 15.6C. Nowhere. It's got an internal temperature regulator or governor that won't let it go cooler than that. By design. That's usually about what the overnight temperatures are anyway. Most nights, I'd be better off just using a $20 box fan. But I can't even do that, because there's a giant air conditioner in that window.

I never would have bought this thing if I'd had any idea. I don't think I've ever seen one that did that, so I know it's not universal, and I suspect it isn't the default, but it's not like I buy air conditioners all the time or anything, so I don't know.

So for probably a couple months now, I've been sleeping really badly. I'm kicking and flailing around, and waking up every 2-3 hours because I'm overheated. I actually have to get all the way up to cool down multiple times a night.

I can adapt to daytime temperatures. It's not ideal, but I can adapt during the day. I just can't sleep when it's too hot, and it's always too hot now.

I'm tired and long-term sleep deprived, and I know they're not going to do it, but I'm going to go harass LG's customer support and ask them how to disable that fucking regulator, because this is straight bullshit. Maybe if I harass them enough, they'll let me return it just to shut me up.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-06-2019), ceptimus (08-07-2019), Crumb (08-06-2019), Ensign Steve (08-06-2019), JoeP (08-06-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-06-2019), slimshady2357 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 PM

LOL, welp, I just got refunded for that air conditioner, so I am now a bit less angry.

Anyone have a recommendation for a room sized air conditioner without a temperature regulator? Or do I have to sneak into the liquor store when they close and sleep in their cooler?
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

So I know I'm reading this right. You want it colder than 15c?

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-06-2019), JoeP (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Solipsist

I thought I liked rooms to be cooler than the average person does.

When you say "air conditioner" do you really mean a refrigerator?
Is that you, Dr Munoz?

Thanks, from:
Ari (08-07-2019), Crumb (08-06-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:52 PM

Yes. That's about the top of the temperature range where I'm comfortable during the day.

I start needing cooling at night when it's somewhere in the 50s, or a little over 10C.

I didn't know until just now that it was that far out of the norm.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-07-2019), Crumb (08-06-2019), JoeP (08-06-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-06-2019), slimshady2357 (08-06-2019), Zehava (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

I'm not sure they make any that hard core. O_o

I can imagine the conversation at the office. "Just refund this weirdo and blacklist them from the website. Maybe send a brochure on research posts in Antarctica. Jesus."

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-07-2019), Crumb (08-06-2019), JoeP (08-06-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
LOL, welp, I just got refunded for that air conditioner, so I am now a bit less angry.

Anyone have a recommendation for a room sized air conditioner without a temperature regulator? Or do I have to sneak into the liquor store when they close and sleep in their cooler?
Not what you asked for:

We got a chilipad for our bed, as Mrs. Reasons was not dealing well with the hot summers we were having. It's a water cooled system that you put under the sheets.

I haven't used my side in a while, but I've been thinking about it now that the temperatures haven't cooled off at night. What I don't know is if it goes below 60F - I don't set it below 70.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-07-2019), lisarea (08-07-2019), Sock Puppet (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 02:11 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

How to get put on a watch list:
“Hi, yes, I was calling about your blast freezer, now what size of bed do you think I could easily fit in that?... um, Hello?”
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-07-2019), JoeP (08-07-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-07-2019), lisarea (08-07-2019), Sock Puppet (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 04:11 AM

I haven't used air conditioning much, because it is arid enough here that evaporative cooling is cheaper and better, and there used to only be one or two nights that were so uncomfortably hot I couldn't sleep close to normally. But lately, the weather has been changing for oh I have no idea what reason I really couldn't tell you, and the hot + humid days have gotten way too frequent to just put up with it the way I have before.

So most of my experience with air conditioning has been in hotels with those built in units. We stayed at some cheap extended stay motel in Albuquerque last time that had one that got the room nice and cool, I don't know how cool but almost definitely below 50F. So maybe that's what I'm going to need eventually.

I think I'll try one of those cooling pads first, though, because that's a really good idea and a lot less work. Thanks for that idea.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:32 AM
puzzler

Can't you tweak the control circuit of the aircon? Find the thermister or whatever sensor it uses to measure the room temperature, and add a resistor or whatever to fool the unit into believing the temperature is about ten degrees hotter than it really is?

If it's a regular old fashioned thermostat, they are mechanical devices - bimetallic strips - and can be tweaked by bending the strip with some pliers, or just replace the whole thermostat with one that has a wider operating range.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Can't you tweak the control circuit of the aircon? Find the thermister or whatever sensor it uses to measure the room temperature, and add a resistor or whatever to fool the unit into believing the temperature is about ten degrees hotter than it really is?

If it's a regular old fashioned thermostat, they are mechanical devices - bimetallic strips - and can be tweaked by bending the strip with some pliers, or just replace the whole thermostat with one that has a wider operating range.
There's the engineer. :D

Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
So most of my experience with air conditioning has been in hotels with those built in units. We stayed at some cheap extended stay motel in Albuquerque last time that had one that got the room nice and cool, I don't know how cool but almost definitely below 50F.
I don't think I've ever seen a hotel AC which can be set lower than 18°C.

You, ma'am, remain a freak outlier.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-07-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 12:28 AM
puzzler

Another way to fool the sensor into keeping the room cooler would be to place a small heat source next to the sensor. If you can get right next to the actual sensor element a few milliwatts of heat would do the job, but if that's not possible you might need a little more heat - perhaps a light bulb stood next to the sensor unit. This would work in hotels too - just stand a table lamp or a clothes iron on a low setting or similar next to the sensor unit. The sensor then thinks the room is warmer, and drives the a/c unit harder to compensate.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Solipsist

Well that was thoroughly unnerving. A power failure! My gas boiler didn't even work (because electric ignition) so no hot water, and obviously the kettle didn't work so no :aristea:. I was beginning to think where I would have matches so I could boil water on the gas stove. But more pressing was the failure of mobile data :freakout: ... either cell masts were also hit, or everyone in the area was trying to contact the power distribution company. (There were more than the usual number of house alarms going off.)

This is the kind of collapse of civilisation I was used to in South Africa, but not here.

Came back after about 20 minutes, which is much better than in SA.

And I find it's not just my area:
Major power failure affecting trains and airports - BBC News
Major power cut hits large parts of England and Wales | Business | The Guardian

We do have storms with heavy rain and strong winds, but I reckon it's a cyber attack.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (08-09-2019), Limoncello (08-09-2019), lisarea (08-09-2019), SR71 (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

[quoteEnappsys, an energy consultancy, said the blackout may have been caused by the unexpected shutdowns of the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned by the Danish wind farm company Orsted, and the Little Barford gas-fired power plant, owned by German utility giant RWE.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more

National Grid data showed both of the generators dropped from the grid at around the same time. The twin outages caused a sudden loss of frequency of the electricity grid, to below 49Hz, which would have caused certain parts of the network to disconnect automatically, causing the power cuts.
“We would have expected the system to cope with this size of loss of generation,” an Enappsys spokesman said. “This implies that there may have been [other] issues at the time of the trips.”][/quote]

I recall that we the Newnited States recently did some cyber fooling with Russia's utility and were none too subtle about it, intentionally. May be some do unto otherism going on.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:40 PM

[QUOTEEnappsys, an energy consultancy, said the blackout may have been caused by the unexpected shutdowns of the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned by the Danish wind farm company Orsted, and the Little Barford gas-fired power plant, owned by German utility giant RWE.

Read more

National Grid data showed both of the generators dropped from the grid at around the same time. The twin outages caused a sudden loss of frequency of the electricity grid, to below 49Hz, which would have caused certain parts of the network to disconnect automatically, causing the power cuts.
“We would have expected the system to cope with this size of loss of generation,” an Enappsys spokesman said. “This implies that there may have been [other] issues at the time of the trips.”][/QUOTE]

I recall that we the Newnited States recently did some cyber fooling with Russia's utility and were none too subtle about it, intentionally. May be some do unto otherism going on.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 PM

[QUOTEEnappsys, an energy consultancy, said the blackout may have been caused by the unexpected shutdowns of the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned by the Danish wind farm company Orsted, and the Little Barford gas-fired power plant, owned by German utility giant RWE.

Read more

“We would have expected the system to cope with this size of loss of generation,” an Enappsys spokesman said. “This implies that there may have been [other] issues at the time of the trips.”][/QUOTE]

I recall that we the Newnited States recently did some cyber fooling with Russia's utilities and were none too subtle about it, intentionally. May be some do unto otherism going on.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Enappsys, an energy consultancy, said the blackout may have been caused by the unexpected shutdowns of the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned by the Danish wind farm company Orsted, and the Little Barford gas-fired power plant, owned by German utility giant RWE.

Read more

“We would have expected the system to cope with this size of loss of generation,” an Enappsys spokesman said. “This implies that there may have been [other] issues at the time of the trips.”
I recall that we the Newnited States recently did some cyber fooling with Russia's utilities and were none too subtle about it, intentionally, in retaliation foe similar hijinx on their part. May be some do unto otherism going on.
lisarea (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:45 PM

lol
Crumb (08-10-2019), Ensign Steve (08-12-2019), lisarea (08-09-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium