Thanks, from:
The Man (05-16-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Default Re: Why the Mainstream Media Really Sucks

Dogwhistle that just came to my attention:

Urban Dictionary: Legacy Media

Quote:
"Legacy media" is politi-speak that political conservatives use to identify long-standing ("mature") media outlets (such as the TV news networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc., and the major print news services - New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times., etc.) Typically, these ostensibly "left-wing" news outlets are critical of conservative political agendas. Why the conservative wordsmiths use "legacy media" instead of "liberal media" is a mystery. Perhaps they feel that the term "liberal media" has been kicked around too long and needs replacement.
liberal elite
"Many in the legacy media love mass shootings (because of the TV ratings they garner)."
Dana Loesch, spokesperson for the National Rifle Association, in a speech before the American Conservative Society, February 22, 2018.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
The Man (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I suspect it's trying to tap into the notion that it's outdated and/or obsolete, as opposed to shiny, modern news sources such as Facebook and Patch.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (05-20-2018), Qingdai (06-11-2018), SR71 (06-04-2018), The Man (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Yesterday, I made the horrendous mistake of going onto Facebook. An acquaintance wanted my opinion regarding climate change.

Foolishly, I posted a calm, respectful comment -- including references and appropriate charts -- noting that no, there is no doubt that the Earth's mean temperature is rising, that sea levels are rising, that Arctic ice volume is rapidly declining (despite year-to-year variations), etc. All of this has been repeatedly verified and the data are readily available to anyone who cares to check for themselves.

Of course, the response was along the lines of: "Don't you stupid libtards know that all that data was faked?" "Arctic ice is increasing, not decreasing, which shows that all this global warming nonsense is nothing but lies from the liberal media." "Hey, don't you libtards know that there was more Arctic sea ice last year than in 2012? That proves global warming is a lie!" "It got down to 20 degrees once last December -- global warming is a hoax!"

And, well, you're probably all familiar with this sort of "discussion."

When I first started teaching, it was possible to tell students to go to the library, research a topic, and come up with a well-researched, well-reasoned opinion on the topic. Occasionally, students would even admit that -- *gasp* -- they had changed their minds after researching a topic and learning that their opinions were based on poor information and/or poor logic.

That sort of thing just doesn't happen any more. A lot of colleges don't even bother to maintain research libraries any more -- all "research" is done online. And students think that by typing something into Google, they're doing honest-to-goodness research. (Hint: that is not actual research.)

And, of course, almost no one nowadays has any understanding of the difference between primary sources and the random spewings of some know-nothing with an opinion and a keyboard -- much less how to tell the difference. Or even that there is a difference.

And, of course, there's a lot more of the latter (random spewings by know-nothings with opinions and keyboards) than the former (actual, carefully-conducted research).

So, it seems to me that we've reached the point where actual competence and expertise are considered all but worthless. Everyone has an opinion, facts and logic don't matter, and "debates" are "won" by whoever can shout down or wear down the opposition.

Gods, it gets so depressing. And it makes me fear for our future.
Thanks, from:
Ari (05-21-2018), BrotherMan (05-20-2018), ceptimus (05-20-2018), Crumb (05-21-2018), JoeP (05-20-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-20-2018), lisarea (05-21-2018), maddog (05-23-2018), Pan Narrans (05-21-2018), slimshady2357 (05-21-2018), Sock Puppet (05-20-2018), SR71 (06-04-2018), The Man (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Is that you, Carl Sagan?

Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:27 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

The Greenhouse Effect is a fact; if it didn't exist, then the average temperature of the Earth would be below freezing.

Certain gases -- including carbon dioxide and methane -- are greenhouse gases. This, too, is a fact.

So I'm always amazed at those people who seem to think that it's somehow possible to drastically raise the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere without causing an increased greenhouse effect. Do they think that the laws of thermodynamics have been repealed?

Nonetheless, someone whose politics they approve of has insisted that "global warming is a liberal hoax," so evidence and logic be damned.
Thanks, from:
But (05-21-2018), Crumb (05-21-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-21-2018), mickthinks (05-21-2018), SR71 (06-04-2018), The Man (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

There's a large swath of often conservatives (like literally the whole registered republican party) that has some clear social esteem issues and feels they aren't winning enough, and just want to feel like they're winning more. Being right doesn't matter, it's that others know they are right. Media has latched onto this and started giving them tons of people that nod and agree, "Oh yes, you're right and they aren't, you're amazing... yes keep watching, there's a great ad on next!"

The winning/losing team aspect of politics has meant I recently had a conversation with a climate change denier that was a denier specifically because he thought Al Gore lied to us, and mentioned Al Gore multiple times in how climate scientists aren't to be trusted. Seemingly not realizing he was complaining about the narrator.

Like the conversation always includes making sure the liberals know they've been bested, which is really way more important. If the tables were turned and team Republican was anti-climate-denial I think some would actually be giddy for the earth to warm up and farming areas to collapse just so they could rub it in those liberal climate denying faces.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (05-21-2018), JoeP (05-21-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-21-2018), lpetrich (06-14-2018), maddog (05-23-2018), Sock Puppet (05-21-2018), SR71 (06-04-2018), The Lone Ranger (05-21-2018), The Man (05-21-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:31 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Such a thing has never been gamed by bad actors in the whole entire history of the internet. Ever. Seriously. Stop laughing.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (05-29-2018), slimshady2357 (05-24-2018), SR71 (06-04-2018), The Man (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 AM

Musk is one of the many people that needs to delete his twitter and install electical shock devices whenever he visits. So far it's just proving the difference between a 'genius' and angry twitter edgelord is money.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (05-29-2018), slimshady2357 (05-24-2018), The Man (05-24-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Today in "Fuck the fucking Vichy New York Times":

And fuck the fucking Sunday shows, too.

Almost the entire media has a right-wing bias, not just Fox. MSNBC might be the only exception among major networks, and even that doesn't apply across the board.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-03-2018), erimir (06-02-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-02-2018), lisarea (06-02-2018), SR71 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Yeah, but if they had nominated Bernie Sanders instead of Hillary Clinton/supported Medicare for All/supported a $15 minimum wage, surely the media would be booking or interviewing only Democrats.

It's just trying to cover for Hillary's world historical shittiness as a candidate to suggest that the media is doing anything bad. You need a nuanced perspective, like me.
Thanks, from:
Kael (06-04-2018), mickthinks (06-03-2018), slimshady2357 (06-03-2018), The Man (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Spiffiest wanger

As this place continues its unfortunate slide toward oblivion, with almost everyone having left the house, it is interesting, though sad, to watch how the few remaining posters live in a kind of Groundhog Day recursive loop, endlessly rehashing the 2016 election, endlessly blaming the news media, especially the New York Times, and of course Comey, for Hillary’s defeat, when the only one to blame is Hillary, and those like Erimir who foisted her upon us. As I patiently explained to Erimir in early 2016, a very plausible scenario would have Trump hanging on to the traditional Red states and then plucking off a few Rust Belt states and he wins! This was met with sneers. If Bernie had been nominated, there is every reason to think that he would have held all the Blue states that Hillary won, without losing any of the Rust Belt states that Hillary lost. But, no — it was Hillary’s turn!

Now we have the claim that anyone, anywhere, is suggesting that the news media can do no wrong — a ridiculous claim worthy of any right-wing echo chamber.

As in any right-wing echo chamber and hall of mirrors, you guys have descended into total irrationality. Good luck with your obsessions, which mirror those of the right. I’m sure Erimir will now prepare a long response, but you might spare yourself the hassle because I won’t even read, much less respond to it. You might ask yourself how much you have in common with Trump and his supporters who hate the news media, especially The New York Times, as much as you do.

Of course, we “know,” from you guys, that The Times and the rest of the news media didn't cover Hillary’s policy proposals at all — that claim has actually been made here! Of course what you think you guys “know” is just as much utter and total rubbish as peacegirl’s “science.” I, personally, as an editor for the major daily that you and Trump despise, edited enough articles about Hillary’s specific policy proposals to choke a fucking horse. Please don’t condescend to tell me what I did or did not do, or what other professional journalists did or did not do. You have no clue what we do, nor how hard we work. Does this mean journalists are exempt from criticism? Of course not. Anyone who has read my posts will notice how scathing I have been in criticism of the media, including the Times, when the criticism is deserved.

So stop lying, eh? At least peacegirl was a hoot. You guys are just pathetic without even the balm of unintentional humor.
Thanks, from:
But (06-06-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 12:43 AM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
As this place continues its unfortunate slide toward oblivion, with almost everyone having left the house, it is interesting, though sad, to watch how the few remaining posters live in a kind of Groundhog Day recursive loop
:ironymeter:
Nobody does an endless fucking loop like you. Are you going to keep dropping in from time to time to drop this same “I miss the way this place used to be erimir is so wrong Hillary sucks” post over and over? Sort of the way you embarrassed yourself on TR with your obsession with that quizalawhatever dude after white knighting SMS (one of the worst shitposters in an extremely tough competition), but at least it’s less frequent.

You could go another route entirely, so I cordially invite you to fuck right off. Just a suggestion; it might be better for your health. Or you can stay and say the same shit over and over. Sort of like a Groundhog Day recursive loop ...

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-04-2018), erimir (06-04-2018), slimshady2357 (06-04-2018), The Man (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 PM

:giggle:
Quote:
As this place continues its unfortunate slide toward oblivion, with almost everyone having left the house, it is interesting, though sad, to watch how the few remaining posters live in a kind of Groundhog Day recursive loop
This is one of those so easy you're not even trying insults. Like calling a short person short or a fat person fat.
Yeah, thx captain obvious no one had noticed until your brilliant observation.

Like ok, this forum is a bunch of patched together hacks running on an old version of a bulletin board software. That doesn't advertise itself or have a specific theme or topic. If the forum caused the server it's running on to explode, we wouldn't be that surprised, but we would guess it wasn't because of traffic.
Thanks, from:
Gonzo (07-02-2018), slimshady2357 (06-05-2018), Sock Puppet (06-05-2018), The Man (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Not to mention it is basically impossible to sign up as a new user right now since the admins don't show up to admit anyone. Just ask Limoncello how hard it is to get in.
Ari (06-04-2018), Gonzo (07-02-2018), JoeP (06-05-2018), slimshady2357 (06-05-2018), Sock Puppet (06-05-2018), The Man (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
endlessly blaming the news media, especially the New York Times, and of course Comey, for Hillary’s defeat, when the only one to blame is Hillary
So basically you're agreeing with what I said sarcastically. If not for Hillary, everything would be better for Democrats.
Quote:
and those like Erimir who foisted her upon us
I did this with my no donations and voting in the very last primary, after the nomination was decided. And not being an editor at a "major daily". My powers astound even me.
Quote:
As I patiently explained to Erimir in early 2016, a very plausible scenario would have Trump hanging on to the traditional Red states and then plucking off a few Rust Belt states and he wins! This was met with sneers.
Was the sneering that this was a plausible scenario of Trump winning, or was it just that it didn't seem like Trump was going to win? You know I trust the quants like 538... which is why I did sneer at the idea that Bernie had any chance of winning the nomination after Super Tuesday or at least after mid-March... But those Midwest states were at the top of the "tipping point" states basically the whole election. So I'm pretty sure I didn't sneer at the idea that they might decide the election if it were close.
Quote:
But, no — it was Hillary’s turn!
More dishonest straw men, of course. Why are you so dishonest?
Quote:
I’m sure Erimir will now prepare a long response, but you might spare yourself the hassle because I won’t even read, much less respond to it.
You keep saying that, yet you clearly read and responded to my last post in this thread :lol:

Not writing particularly more than you tho.
Quote:
You might ask yourself how much you have in common with Trump and his supporters who hate the news media, especially The New York Times, as much as you do.
And you know who else was a vegetarian? That's right: Hitler!
Quote:
Of course, we “know,” from you guys, that The Times and the rest of the news media didn't cover Hillary’s policy proposals at all — that claim has actually been made here!
Not literally. But of course, dishonestly pretending not to understand hyperbole is your whole shtick, while liberally employing it yourself.
Quote:
I, personally, as an editor for the major daily that you and Trump despise, edited enough articles about Hillary’s specific policy proposals to choke a fucking horse. Please don’t condescend to tell me what I did or did not do, or what other professional journalists did or did not do. You have no clue what we do, nor how hard we work.
And so your insistence that only Hillary is to blame and the media is not finally makes sense - you're just trying to protect yourself and your friends.

If you also edited dozens of articles about Hillary Clinton's email server, most of which went on the front page, I would tell you that you were part of a team that did a shitty job with the 2016 election and that you are more to blame for Trump's election than probably anyone on this board. All your whining that I'm to blame for for Trump because I argued irrelevantly with friends and acquaintances and you were actually in a position to influence coverage at a "major daily". A bit Trumpian in that projection, eh?

But maybe you'd like to cherry-pick five or ten more stories as evidence that millions of election related articles were balanced in their coverage. I hope they don't have you editing articles about data analysis or statistics :lol: because based on that and your embrace of Bernie math from the primaries, you have no business doing any quantitative analysis.
Quote:
So stop lying, eh?
:ironymeter:
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (06-05-2018), Sock Puppet (06-05-2018), The Man (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Most of this has already been addressed at length, but I would like to note that davidm is shamelessly lying, while accusing us of lying. Almost Trumpian in his level of projection.

davidm is referring to a post I made where I – hyperbolically – said that the media didn’t cover Hillary’s policy proposals. davidm wants us to believe that, as an “editor for a major daily”, he doesn’t possess an understanding of the English language sufficient enough to recognise a commonly used figure of speech. I don’t for a fucking second believe this, making it lie #1.

Even if we buy the extremely unbelievable premise that he didn’t recognise the hyperbole, however, I explicitly told him that it was hyperbole in a subsequent post, which he never responded to, or even acknowledged.

So he’s lying. He knows that no one here has ever literally said that Hillary’s policy proposals weren’t covered at all, but he’s still acting as though I did.

In conclusion, fuck off, liar.

(NB. I try not to waste time with interlocutors who are clearly engaging in bad faith, so I probably won’t bother addressing the rest of davidm’s bullshit.)

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe

Last edited by The Man; 06-05-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:10 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

By the way, while my cordial invitation stands, I am duty-bound to observe that a full-blown farewell thrad would be far more entertaining than his final poast, which rates 10 centishakes at best, but is subject to a 5-centishake penalty for being mere repetition of previous shitposts, bringing it to an official (subject to Secret Forums approval) score of 5 centishakes. Sad!

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-05-2018), Ensign Steve (06-06-2018), erimir (06-06-2018), slimshady2357 (06-06-2018), The Man (06-05-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:24 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Ah yes, the centishake, my all-time favorite unit of measure. Oh, the memories!

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-07-2018), BrotherMan (06-07-2018), Ensign Steve (06-07-2018), Qingdai (06-11-2018), slimshady2357 (06-07-2018), Sock Puppet (06-07-2018), The Man (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:16 PM
California Sober

:awesome:
BrotherMan (06-07-2018), slimshady2357 (06-07-2018), Stephen Maturin (06-08-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 02:17 AM

As we saw during the coverage of the 2016 election, information security and maintenance of official government records are issues of supreme importance to the media, voters and other politicians.

So we can expect that Trump's routine destruction of presidential records and Kelly's lax information security (and I'm not even including a link about Trump's refusal to use a more secure phone) will dominate coverage of Trump over the next year. It might even cost him the 2020 election. There should probably be at least one NYT issue with the entire front page above the fold dedicated to these stories, right?

Cuz I mean, what would you have the media do? Simply NOT cover Kelly's emails?

I mean, that's probably exactly what will happen. A smattering of stories right now, 35 seconds on CNN here, 2 minutes on MSNBC there, and that's the end of it and in a few weeks it will have passed out of mind. But obviously Hillary Clinton's email server coverage was just as it had to be (to do otherwise would've been for the media to seek to anoint her president or something) because... reasons.

Last edited by erimir; 06-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-11-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (06-11-2018), lisarea (06-11-2018), slimshady2357 (06-11-2018), Stephen Maturin (06-11-2018), The Man (06-11-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:45 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Done with the news for today.

240224ab04.png

Thanks, from:
Ari (06-12-2018), BrotherMan (06-12-2018), erimir (06-12-2018), lisarea (06-12-2018), The Man (06-12-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

This post has a non zero chance of starting a shit storm.

Thanks, from:
Crumb (06-14-2018), Kael (06-14-2018), lisarea (06-14-2018), Sock Puppet (06-14-2018), The Lone Ranger (06-14-2018), The Man (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

After Disney buys Fox they can operate it like ABC. Pimping their crap programing across various platforms in between "the news".

If Comcast wins the bidding war, we still lose.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
So we can expect that Trump's routine destruction of presidential records and Kelly's lax information security (and I'm not even including a link about Trump's refusal to use a more secure phone) will dominate coverage of Trump over the next year. It might even cost him the 2020 election. There should probably be at least one NYT issue with the entire front page above the fold dedicated to these stories, right?
Yes, we know. The NYT doesn't cover any of this. It doesn't cover Trump's corruption. Hell, it never even covered any of Hillary's policy positions!

:pat:

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law