Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: What are we watching this Fall, y'all?

Quote:
subtittles
:secretlaugh:
Ari (05-03-2019), Ensign Steve (05-02-2019), Stormlight (09-13-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 04:24 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

American Gods Season 2.
I had mentioned to a few people after seeing the first season of American Gods that if it continued like that an entire film studies course could be taught on it, with Season 2 that still stands but the reason has now shifted.

So on one hand a whole bunch of behind the scenes crap went on that didn’t need to. Season 1 went over budget and in response management cut the budget and the head showrunner Bryan Fuller, among others, left the project. Crazyness ensued and some of the dialog was being written on the day of filming. With that in mind this turned out quite well.

On the other hand, Season 1 exists and because of that season 2 feels like a pale imitation and an imitation it is. Now a class can be taught on how trying to copy a style without understanding the underlying reasons gives a hollow husk of a work and that is what a large part of season 2 is, an artist copying another artist without understanding what they are copying. So everything looks and feels familiar but there’s no substance behind it. There are more than a few ‘huh?’ Moments that even the show was like *Shrug, yeah I don’t know either*. There’s also occasionally what might be basic directing issues where characters sometimes don’t react to another so hard I can’t tell if they are supposed to not be able to see the God talking but then suddenly chips in or interacts leaving me confused as to why they were zoning out for a bit.

Take Nancy’s speeches and stories where in season one they were complex, about nuanced people and the horrible things they did or that happened to them to weave a new culture. Season two Nancy is much more anger, hate and one sided as if he had skimmed the book the night before the book report was due. Which is exactly what happened, the writing got so behind that the actor who plays him got writing credits for writing some of his own dialog on the day of filming. I could go on and on as there’s so much that follows this same path. Good effort saving the book report from a total F but it was obvious it was a save.

While I blamed management above and think they should have thrown the extra money at it with the vacancy Game of Thrones is leaving, the landscape is certainly not overwhelmed right now with top quality adult shows; I also think Bryan Fuller is in part to blame for creating such an amazing work while going over budget and then dropping it when they won’t let him get his way with their money again. Fuller is starting to get a history of making a big splash and then walking out when confronted over it, IMO studios should start locking him in for longer contracts before giving him a green light.

So It was ‘fine’ I guess.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-01-2019), ceptimus (06-01-2019), Crumb (06-01-2019), Ensign Steve (06-03-2019), JoeP (06-01-2019), Sock Puppet (06-03-2019), The Man (06-04-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:32 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Started "Good Omens" yesterday.

I'm really enjoying it, but I'm biased and I'm not sure I could give an unbiased response to this content.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-02-2019), Miisa (06-02-2019), Qingdai (08-05-2019), The Man (06-04-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:00 PM
NPC

What makes you biased?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

:AB: :canada:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miisa View Post
What makes you biased?
Too much goodwill for Terry Pratchett that i’m going to enjoy it regardless of how good it actually is.
Thanks, from:
Miisa (06-04-2019), Qingdai (08-05-2019), The Man (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 09:35 AM
NPC

Ah, but I haven't read much Gaiman outside of American Gods, and haven't managed to get though any of Pratchett's, so Good Omens was virgin territory for me. And I enjoyed the show. Slow start and I had a hard time with parts of the narration, but it was fun and I liked it very much. Might rewatch.

On the other hand, the few negative reviews I have seen of it were from people who love the book, and frankly, I am not sure any adaptation would make them happy.
BrotherMan (06-04-2019), Qingdai (08-05-2019), The Man (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

FWIW, the book is one of my favourite literary works of all time, and I couldn't be happier with the adaptation so far. Of course, I'm also a pretty massive David Tennant fanboy, so I knew I was going to love it the moment his casting as Crowley was announced. That is some objectively perfect casting. He pretty much steals every scene he appears in - no slight on the other actors, who are also all great. Casting Frances McDormand as God was another stroke of genius.

Anyway, I'm only two episodes in, but so far it's basically exactly what I wanted.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-05-2019), Crumb (06-04-2019), Miisa (06-05-2019), Qingdai (08-05-2019), Sock Puppet (06-05-2019), specious_reasons (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miisa View Post
Ah, but I haven't read much Gaiman outside of American Gods, and haven't managed to get though any of Pratchett's, so Good Omens was virgin territory for me. And I enjoyed the show. Slow start and I had a hard time with parts of the narration, but it was fun and I liked it very much. Might rewatch.

On the other hand, the few negative reviews I have seen of it were from people who love the book, and frankly, I am not sure any adaptation would make them happy.
I like adaptations the best when it's been 5-10 year since I last read the book. I know all the main characters and the basic plot, but the details aren't really very strong. That's about where I am with Good Omens. I had forgotten about Anathema Device and Witchfinder Private Pulsiver until they appeared, for example.

I'm also not a fanboy that demands fidelity. It's been quite a while since the books came out, and sometimes things don't work quite the same in different mediums, so I'm pretty tolerant.

I had a couple of quibbles - I thought the final showdown was... a poor reinterpretation of the events in the book.

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-05-2019), Ensign Steve (06-05-2019), Miisa (06-05-2019), Qingdai (08-05-2019), ShottleBop (07-05-2019), The Man (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

As wonderfully cast as Omens is, I love thinking of alternate worlds where they're reversed and it's still a darn fun show to watch.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (06-05-2019), Miisa (06-05-2019), The Man (06-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:10 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Mrs. S and I just binge-watched all three seasons of "Kingdom" (British series starring Stephen Fry as solicitor Peter Kingdom).
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (09-13-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:19 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

In case your internet bubble hasn't had the news, Stranger Things 3 has been released and can be binged now.

I didn't even know it was near coming out until I saw a review yesterday.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 PM
NPC

Spent much of the weekend watching The Boys on amazon prime.
Found myself going "Holy Shit!" a few times, and really enjoyed it. Might never see a superhero film the same way again, though.
BrotherMan (08-04-2019), Qingdai (08-05-2019), Stormlight (08-05-2019), The Man (08-06-2019), viscousmemories (09-03-2019), Zehava (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

My feelings on The Boys is just a little complicated. But only a little.

I wasn't aware until a few episodes in that it was based on a graphic novel. I can't compare it to that so I can judge the show on its own merits and flaws. Even though I dislike most of the characters I think they're all well realized. At least inasmuch as they're drawn larger than life for story and drama's sake. The overall tale is well told and easy to consume.

It wasn't until after I watched all of it that I looked at the internet for how other folken were reacting. I guess like most articles and youtube videos one should avoid reading the comments if you can help it. Kids these days, I swear. A lot of the negative response went on and on about how OVER EDGY they were TRYING SO HARD to be.

Well. I had a different reaction.

I interpreted it as a reaction, a deconstruction, of the modern superhero genre and its newfound cinematic popularity. A better filmed Watchmen than the movie Watchmen. In very much a similar vein as the original Watchmen graphic. It also reminded me a bit of the beginning issues of Kingdom Come.

But then concurrently I'm still immersed in a super-culture. See, I play City of Heroes. A game where one can create and play your own unique (or not unique if you desire) superhero. While a lot of people choose to play a traditional type - the four color goodness for goodness' sake type - many also create and play disturbingly out there Byronic style anti-heroes.

How it relates to Watchmen/Kingdom Come: If real people in the real world had fantastic and strange superpowers, well, the world wouldn't be better. Point of fact, it'd probably be a lot worse. In KC the third and fourth generation "heroes" were violent for violence's sake and caught up in in-fighting and squabbling and were killing criminals with no thought to collateral damage of either infrastructure or civilians.

You know. A lot like the Seven in The Boys.

It got a little depressing for me.

But it was still entertaining for me, oddly enough.

I had to watched Christopher Reeve's Superman to wash my brain out.
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-05-2019), Crumb (08-05-2019), Miisa (08-05-2019), Qingdai (08-05-2019), Stormlight (08-05-2019), The Man (08-06-2019), viscousmemories (09-03-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

There briefly was a show about a company that was desiging things to deal with super villians and super hero's damage I really loved. and I can not for the life of me remember what it was called (Powers?), but I thought that was a great take on the super hero genre
BrotherMan (08-05-2019), Miisa (08-05-2019), The Man (08-06-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:02 PM
NPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
There briefly was a show about a company that was desiging things to deal with super villians and super hero's damage I really loved. and I can not for the life of me remember what it was called (Powers?), but I thought that was a great take on the super hero genre
Are you thinking of Powerless? I liked it too, but understand how it couldn't quite pay for itself.
BrotherMan (08-05-2019), The Man (08-06-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 AM
NPC

Ok, so I watched the first two episodes of HBO's Beforeigners. It is produced by HBO Nordic, and comes off as very Norwegian*, as well as gritty and rough around the edges, rather than having the very polished and smooth feel of most HBO shows. Some of the ways they actually implemented stuff that was a good idea in theory is a little eye-rolly, and not every actor/extra can pull off their role well, but ultimately I appreciate the social commentary about prejudices and xenophobia in society and how arbitrary and fluid the ingroup-outgroup divides can be.

The premise is basically that suddenly involuntary time travelers start appearing from various points in the past in huge numbers, changing our societies as they bring their own cultures and customs and languages. So a twist on the whole "immigrants are ruining everything", as the 'immigrants' in this case are basically the ancestors of the people who are criticizing them, rather than people with different appearance due to ethnicity. So in this case, we see a rise in Norwegians being racist/xenophobic towards Vikings.

Being HBO, it probably has a fixed story it will tell this season and might leave the show at that. If given more seasons it could turn into a better show if it sticks to the "police procedural with a twist", though I suspect it could easily go the way so many shows with a great set-up but little scope for development do and it will either start focusing on stupid stuff like the mystery of why this is happening or get painted into a boredom corner of a war between the two sides.

I like the two leads, and especially Krista Kosonen as Alfhidr is a pleasant surprise, I had only seen her in a tiny part in Blade Runner 2049 before.

And will keep watching, at least for now.

*I had somehow assumed that it would be largely in English for some reason, partly due to the international cast, but it is almost completely in Norwegian and Old Norse.
And I have come to realize that my Norwegian is much, much worse than I thought.
BrotherMan (08-22-2019), Crumb (08-22-2019), Ensign Steve (08-22-2019), JoeP (08-22-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:10 PM

I am thinking about getting HBO just for "A Black Lady Sketch Show" - everything sketch I’ve seen is amazing.

Like this:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-02-2019), Ensign Steve (09-04-2019), Sock Puppet (09-03-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 03:58 PM
California Sober

I am looking forward to several Seasons 4 premiering this fall!

The Good Place: September 26, 2019 on NBC
Mr. Robot: October 6, 2019 on USA
Rick and Morty: Sometime in November, supposedly

I'm also looking forward to Westworld, Season 3, but that's not out until 2020. :eager:

Fuckin, I love the summer and I'm not one of those basic bitches who is all like "MMMM! Autumn colors and pumpkin spice lattes and Halloween and Ugg boots!" Fuck that noise, it's too fucking wet out and it gets dark too damn early.

But! I love me some goddamn TV. Best thing about this part of the year.

:fallcat:
BrotherMan (09-23-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 07:32 PM

I should have been writing peer feedback for my colleagues this weekend, but instead I binged "Between" and "Jack Ryan", both season 2.

"Between" is a story about a small rural town that gets infected by a virus that kills everyone above age 21. The second season is set in winter as the few adults and older teens try to keep everyone from starving, while the younger teens go all "Lord of the Flies". Oh, there's a corporation that wants to experiment on them, and the government wants to kill them all to prevent the spread of the infection.

The premise is interesting but a lot of the plot is just silly. People literally die at the moment they turn 22. It's not very good - I would have given up if the seasons were any longer.

I didn't enjoy "Jack Ryan" Season 2 nearly as much as Season 1. I think the main reason why is because there more action, and they dropped Abbie Cornish.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-19-2019), Crumb (11-19-2019), JoeP (11-19-2019), slimshady2357 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
I should have been writing peer feedback for my colleagues this weekend, but instead
I'm sure the :ff: hivemind could get that done for you. Code name per colleague plus a couple of stream of consciousness keywords, that's all we need.

eta: or just type them into Talk to Transformer - Freethought Forum

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-19-2019), fragment (11-22-2019), specious_reasons (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:37 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

You can try that, but it seems to get distracted... I feel bad about Kenny's teammates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer
JoeP's performance this quarter was a bit lacking, as we saw some of the same issues that we saw last quarter in our review of his game. With that said, his performance was not bad, so we'll just have to see if the improvements will pay off this quarter.

Kenny's Kicks

Kenny's kicks were strong, but not the spectacular style that we have become accustomed to. Kenny was able to get his kicks to the target area, and we were able to follow up with good pressure on him. Kenny's kicking accuracy has been trending up, and we'll have to see if this trend continues this quarter. Kenny's kicking in general was not as accurate as the other players.

Kenny's Passes

We saw a large difference in the passing accuracy of Kenny and Kenny's teammates. On average, Kenny's teammates were able to connect on a pass to the target area at a rate of 94%. Kenny's teammates were unable
fragment (11-22-2019), lisarea (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Solipsist

360° performance feedback for Crumb

• Performance and quality improvements across all content

Thanks to everyone who took the time to tell us about your experiences with Crumb. If you have suggestions for improving Crumb, please contact us at support@gabrielsimple.com.

2.7.2 Crumb 2.7 is now available!

• Completely redesigned iOS 7 experience

• Added support for iOS 8 and iOS 9

• Performance and quality improvements across all content

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-20-2019), Crumb (11-19-2019), fragment (11-22-2019), lisarea (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

:smugnod:
BrotherMan (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Should I email bug reports one at a time, or as one big list?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature