Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

Default Re: Seen any crappy movies?

PERFECT!
BrotherMan (06-12-2012), Nullifidian (06-24-2012), Watser? (06-12-2012), Ymir's blood (06-12-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM
ellipsis . . .

Catwoman

It's hilariously awful. I recommend watching it.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:08 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I don't. There are some things better left in the litter box to be scooped out and never seen again. Academy Award winning Halle Berry's Catwoman is one of those things.
Thanks, from:
Janet (06-23-2012), livius drusus (06-23-2012), Nullifidian (06-24-2012), wei yau (06-26-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Was drinking with the bff t'other night in Dublin, CA when on a whim we decided to catch a late drunken showing of Prometheus. Maybe it was the booze, but I couldn't get past the shit plot to even get riled by the shit science. I will never get how they can waste so much damned $ on fantastic special effects and somehow forget to include a fucking coherent screenplay.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (06-23-2012), livius drusus (06-24-2012), Nullifidian (06-24-2012), wei yau (06-26-2012), Zehava (06-23-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 AM
ellipsis . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
I don't. There are some things better left in the litter box to be scooped out and never seen again. Academy Award winning Halle Berry's Catwoman is one of those things.

But, but, Ferris Wheel of Death!

Besides, it's not like she wasn't in Die Another Day, Gothica, and The Flintstones.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Why do you hate me. I was doing so well pretending those movies were never part of reality.
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (06-24-2012), Janet (06-27-2012), Nullifidian (06-24-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Music Re: Seen any crappy movies?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

What can you expect from a movie based on a book with such a wonderfully ludicrous proposition? People like Abraham Lincoln. People seem to like vampires and those who hunt them. ¿Porque no los dos?

Historians who are familiar with or specialize in the early Abe era are likely the only people who get less enjoyment out of this movie than I did. But for me, the story following young adult Abe was the best part. Though that isn't saying much. Oh, how I hoped that the axe-fu was the worst part of it all. But it wasn't.

What set my teeth on edge, and kept them there, was the action. Can I call it overaction? It may have taken me longer than others, but I'm finally realizing why I prefer at least some practical effects. Once cgi gets its nose in the tent, some folks take that as license to make shit so damn crazy. Yeah, I know, what's the big deal about characters doing the nigh impossible if you've already bought the supernatural premise? I'll tell you: Uncanny valley response. Rubbery people. Poor facial mapping. That's what.

My distaste for the overaction of the action sequences, there was only one scene that I despised. History can deride the motivations of the southern rebellion; that's all fine and dandy. But a fictional work putting them in bed with monsters turned my stomach quite a bit.

That all said, wait for it on DVD, Netflix or broadcast. You probably won't hate it like I did but you won't enjoy it because of it's badness either.
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (06-28-2012), livius drusus (06-27-2012), Stormlight (07-16-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

But is Rufus Sewell really hot as a vampire? My sister needs the answer to that question before she buys a ticket.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

The vampires in Lincoln are not made up to look supernaturally attractive. If they hide their teeth one cannot differentiate them from normal humans.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 PM

So that's a yes, right? Rufus Sewell being really hot in his natural state would make that true.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

The Amazing Spider-Man

On one hand it wasn't good enough to belong in the Good Movies thrad. On another, it wasn't bad enough to be called crappy. At worst it was meh with a side of tedius. It's only the action sequences that saved this movie at all, really. The acting was okay, the script was so mediocre. I don't think there's any good reason to see this movie other than you're bored or really really really really like Spider-Man. In which this case is barely a fix for your obsession.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (12-31-2012), Zehava (07-16-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 PM

The AV club summed up their review with, "If you're looking for air conditioning, The Amazing Spider-Man will have it.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-03-2013), Crumb (07-17-2012), Kashmir (07-18-2012), lisarea (07-17-2012), livius drusus (07-18-2012), SharonDee (07-17-2012), Sock Puppet (07-18-2012), Watser? (07-18-2012), wei yau (07-18-2012), Ymir's blood (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I keep having that stupid fucking line from the trailer bouncing around in my head. Spider-Man is supposed to make witty wisecracks at his foes, not shit like "Dude, if you're gonna steal a car, don't dress like a car thief." What part of that even makes SENSE, let alone is funny? How the fuck did that line survive the editing room, let alone wind up in the GODDAMNED TRAILER? I can't even. :gah:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-03-2013), BrotherMan (07-18-2012), Demimonde (07-17-2012), Janet (07-17-2012), livius drusus (07-18-2012), Stormlight (07-18-2012), Watser? (07-18-2012), wei yau (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

That scene is far worse than you think it is.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
I keep having that stupid fucking line from the trailer bouncing around in my head. Spider-Man is supposed to make witty wisecracks at his foes, not shit like "Dude, if you're gonna steal a car, don't dress like a car thief." What part of that even makes SENSE, let alone is funny? How the fuck did that line survive the editing room, let alone wind up in the GODDAMNED TRAILER? I can't even. :gah:
Oh god, was he wearing a hoodie?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
That scene is far worse than you think it is.
That small knives joke is pretty bad.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Quality Contributor

Project X - What the fuck did I just watch? And why? Why did I watch that garbage?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Thanks for bamping this thread Stormy, was just about to look for it :tiphat:

Looper

It was the worst job of handling time travel in the history of film, possibly the history of anything.

I didn't go in with high hopes, but I was reasonably hopeful for a good movie based on the fact that I really like JGL and even like Bruce Willis usually. Plus I had seen a couple of somewhat favourable reviews online. And finally, I'm pretty easily pleased when it comes to movies. On the suspension of disbelief scale, I score pretty high and things that ruin movies for Sou don't usually bother me.

But this movie was rancid. It was a horrible, horrible crotch punch of rancidness.

I'll spoiler the next bit, but you might as well read it, because you're not going to see it, right? Seriously, don't :unnope:

Ok, I feel better now. But seriously, don't see it.

Last edited by slimshady2357; 12-31-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (01-02-2013), Janet (01-05-2013), livius drusus (01-03-2013), Stormlight (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Quality Contributor

It has 94% on Rotten Tomatoes! :unnod:
Old 12-31-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight View Post
It has 94% on Rotten Tomatoes! :unnod:
Omg Stormy, we're so synched today, I just saw that!

Average rating of 8.1/10 :whatthe:

I think you'd have to shut your brain off to enjoy that movie. Not suspend disbelief, but suspend all thought.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (01-02-2013), Stormlight (12-31-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

That's something I never understood -- the praise for Looper. Heck, NPR devoted a whole segment today to telling us how great the movie is.

Reviewers talk about how "smart" the movie is. Really? I'll grant you, it does appear that the makers put a little more thought into the movie than is typical for an action/adventure flick, but that's damning with faint praise indeed. But the moment you stop to think about it, the movie's logic falls to pieces.

I dunno. Maybe movie reviewers are so amazed at seeing an action film that at least makes a pretense of having some depth that they don't stop to think about whether or not it actually makes any sense.

I grant you, Looper was by no means the most insultingly-stupid movie I've seen in the past year (Prometheus wins that dubious honor hands-down), but it's not a good movie, in my opinion -- and it's anything but a "smart" or well-thought-out or internally-consistent movie.
Thanks, from:
Nullifidian (01-02-2013), slimshady2357 (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
That's something I never understood -- the praise for Looper. Heck, NPR devoted a whole segment today to telling us how great the movie is.
The more I read online the more I'm amazed at how many people think this movie is "really well done" or "handles time travel well" :wtfsign: People really seem to love it, I don't get it...

Quote:
Reviewers talk about how "smart" the movie is. Really? I'll grant you, it does appear that the makers put a little more thought into the movie than is typical for an action/adventure flick, but that's damning with faint praise indeed. But the moment you stop to think about it, the movie's logic falls to pieces.

I dunno. Maybe movie reviewers are so amazed at seeing an action film that at least makes a pretense of having some depth that they don't stop to think about whether or not it actually makes any sense.

I grant you, Looper was by no means the most insultingly-stupid movie I've seen in the past year (Prometheus wins that dubious honor hands-down), but it's not a good movie, in my opinion -- and it's anything but a "smart" or well-thought-out or internally-consistent movie.
It's the total lack of internal consistency that just ruins it for me.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (01-02-2013), Janet (01-05-2013), Nullifidian (01-02-2013), The Lone Ranger (01-01-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 AM
puzzler

Back to the Future (parts I, III and maybe even II) were more sensible than Looper. And funnier too.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Tellifying

Damnit, I was just about to watch Pooper Looper.

Guess, I don't have to now.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature