Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Procrastinate now, why put it off?

Default Re: Member News

Well I got the other job and accepted it. I'll be putting my two weeks tomorrow and start the Monday immediately after. Its a decent increase in salary as well I should be making in the neighborhood of 70 - 75K / year depending upon bonuses. I also get my own office and am about to be 100% out of credit card and school loan debt. Is there a word to describe it, oh yeah:

:woohoo:

or maybe:

:yay: :yay:
Old 02-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Done

I'll be mostly out of commission for the next few weeks. My crunch weeks are here. I've got my press hat on and off to report on the garden shows in the region. Always fun, but phew takes up so much time.

I'll check in when I can!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 PM
mostly harmless

Too lazy right now to check when I last posted here so, here goes:

Back in school as of 22 January, taking Dynamics, Engineering Computing II (which is MATLAB), and a 1 credit design lab.

Tray and I each have the week off from school, which is good because ... Mrs Shake is out in Denver for the week for work.

In other news, no, I'm about 1.5 hours west of Oswego, NY, the area which got hit by between 8 to 12 feet of snow over the last 2 weeks or so. :snow: :snowedin:

Old 02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Done

I had an e-mail last week from a local, quarterly, home and garden magazine that wants me to write and submit photographs of our native plants on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. I agreed to the job and almost have my first submission done. :woohoo:
Old 02-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Wildcard!

We have returned from England. I worked and my wife visited all the relatives. The evenings were jam-packed with more visiting and many cups of tea. I was never able to get her upgraded to business class with me but, on the last flight home from Dallas, they upgraded her to first class with me so I might not get beaten (much). FYI, for those that don't know, first class on internal U.S. flights is about 1/10th as nice as business class on the long-haul overseas flights.

It's good to be home -- though there is a blizzard warning in effect here.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Today is my last day in my California office, per my Real Estate thread. The movers come tomorrow, so I'll be offline for a couple days. On Saturday, my best friend and I head out on our cross-country road trip. He's bringing a laptop, and I've already insisted that he create an account here so we can both post inane things along the way. Movers should arrive next Thursday at the new place.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 PM
mostly harmless

My youngest turned 1 yesterday:

Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

I got word today that my studies next year will be fully funded, and I will receive a generous stipend. This means that I will receive a Master's degree with no expenditure on my part, and will probably wind up making a (very) little money off of it. But more importantly, I don't have to take out loans or think about how I'm going to pay.

:bliss:
Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Compensating for something...

I have been appointed as a Knight of the Order of St George in Bronze.

I am now researching the requirements, such as if I need to get a horse, or if I can demand that people now address me as "Sir Nicholas." So far the only practical effect appears to be that I can wear a stonking big medallion with a red and white ribbon around my neck at certain functions where I would wear a dress blue uniform or mess dress. Sounds impressive though.

NTM
Old 03-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Solipsist

I have not been around for a while, due to varying combinations of flu, work projects that overlapped the way they're not supposed to, and one of our cats dying.

Right now, I am fully recovered from flu, not overworked (but next week ... anything could happen), and all our pets are healthy.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 03-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Wildcard!

I am leaving the country in a week for DATA MASKED and will be gone for about a month. I'll be sure to take my sunblock and watch out for sandstorms. If I can get on a computer and also remember my password for here, I'll check in. I know you are all continuously wondering about me as I am so cool so I didn't want you to freak out.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Queen?

Javaman,
We do care and it is nice of you to let us know what you are going to be up to for the next little while. Have fun and check in from time to time and let us know how you are doing on your trip. :yup:
Otherwise we will have to whup you when you return and we will be waiting....:whup:
Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 PM
mostly harmless

Just got done signing my life away paperwork to refinance our mortgage. This will save us around $200/mo. Well, at least 'til September when our taxes go up, based on the new assessment of the house, cutting that savings roughly in half. Oh well, we also are getting money back from the closing, which we weren't expecting. There's nothing quite like unexpected money coming in!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

I am finally back online and ensconced in my new position on the Planet Hooston. I've got tons of catching up to do and little time to do it, but I'll post when I can.

Sorry we didn't do the travelogue we promised. We encountered some technical difficulties that I'll be sure to piss & moan about when I have time.

The new house freaking rocks in the freakinest way. :cucumber:

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
ŧiggermonkey

In case anyone missed it today...

I took my first real ride of the year on my bike today! :cycleluv:

sooooo AWESOME! :hyperb:
Old 03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Wildcard!

I leave on Monday and I am freaking out less now that I finally got around to doing my taxes. For the third year in a row, I used Tax Act Online and it was very easy. About 45 minutes of my time and, for the first time in several years, I don't owe anything. I'm getting over a hundred dollars back so that works out about how I want it. I'll have to write out a bunch of bills for my wife to mail while I'm gone but things are pretty well squared away. I have my visa to enter the country though I'm not looking forward to living in a tent.

Really, my only reason for this post was: Taxes Done!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Holy moly!

It cost us 190K to build this house including the lot, construction, and lot prep. We moved in a year ago.

We just got an appraisal for a refi, at 282k!

Woohoo! 92K equity increase in one year. It took us 6 years and 10 years to see that kind of money on our Vegas houses

Last edited by LadyShea; 03-29-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Tellifying

We're putting up our house for sale, in hopes of being able to buy a new house closer to our workplaces.

No more hour-plus commutes for me!

Here's hoping we are able to sell in this market.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:51 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I wish I could delete posts.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Wildcard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
What, other people's?

EDIT: So as not to add a new message in the wrong forum... I understand now. :)

Last edited by Javaman; 03-30-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:23 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
What, other people's?
My bad.

No, my own, when I post comments in spaces supposed to be reserved for Member News.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 PM
A Lover, Not A Fighter

Greetings and salutations, all :)

I haven't been around much for various reasons but wanted to pop in and say "howdy". So, news:

Things are good in general. I went on a reading binge which traditionally precedes a writing binge which is what is happening now. I'll probably post more about the current project separately. Anyway, it feels good.

My (grand)mom's condition has continued to deteriorate (the Alzheimer's thing) which is, of course, a supremely shitty thing, but in a weird way has prompted some reflection and actions that mightn't have been undertaken otherwise.

I turned 34. WTF?!? Not like I feel old or anything, it just seems weird, how quickly the years have gone. I feel pretty much exactly the same as I did turning thirty - mainly, WTF?!? :D

My live-in "better half" makes me feel lucky every day - loved, appreciated, challenged in a good way, motivated - lots of laughter and happy new memories daily. :smitten:

I learned that not only can I cook, I'm pretty good at it. Just don't ask me to make something called a "roux", which I think should be spelled "rue".

Anyway, I've been wanting to come around more often lately but the internet has been acting funny so we're sharing one computer for the next few weeks.

:wave:

- Esther Tallamy
Old 04-06-2007, 04:46 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default Re: Member News Discussion

my mom's cancer has moved into the brain, but its only like inoperable and the size of a plum.

so she's kind of fucked up, but the pain medication keeps her in pretty good stoned spirits.

dont bother to post responses please.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Wildcard!

OK, Bey. Understood. I'll just pass on my news from my deployed location. I'm, like really far away. This media center that I'm using right now has a 20 minute time limit and it took a big chunk of that to get to this page. About 30 to 45 seconds to get to the main page. Same again after logging in. Then 'Forums' -> Atrium -> Member News (straight to the last page). I'll just say that there's a good chance that I won't be posting much until I get back at the end of the month. I'm still pasty-white but that won't last long. I've only been doing actual work for five days now but my first day of work was 13 hours after two days of travel with no shower and in the same clothes I left home in. I shouldn't complain as there are people in much worse conditions than I am. Plus, I'm getting well-compensated for my trouble.

All of you take care.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

It's official--we have our first web design contract bagged! This should help as husband is still unemployed and my job may or may not be ending in a week.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium