Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
We can only see that which light is capable of revealing (i.e., material substance). :doh:
So what is being 'revealed' when we see the laser spot appear on the moon?
The light, what else?

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Spacemonkey, let up okay? You have no idea how knowledgeable this man was...
Actually, I do. You don't because you still think he was knowledgeable.

Quote:
These words have hurt people because they stratisfy us into layers of value. That's why people compete so desperately to be smarter or more beautiful than the next person because they believe this gives them greater value as individuals. This all comes from the belief that this intelligence, this beauty, cannot be denied because it is part of the real world, which it isn't.
Again, words can condition us regardless of how we see.

Quote:
You haven't taken the time to analyze this knowledge at all, you were too anxious to discredit it. I hope you one day take the time to actually study it. You will be pleasantly surprised as to its authenticity.
But I have taken the time to study it. That's how I know it to be worthless nonsense.
You have absolutely no conception of what you're talking about Spacemonkey. You have not taken the time to study it. You are a big bullshitter of the worst kind. Tell me what his explanation is without resorting to the book, since you know all about it? Come on, I dare you!

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
That's because light does not reveal itself!
Quote:
Quote:
The light, what else?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Wow. Did I nail it, or what?

By the way, you may recall that light always moves at a constant speed (called, conveniently enough, "the speed of light"), and doesn't linger at sensors, waiting for us to process what we've just seen.
I didn't mean that, but the laser would still be shining on the sensor unless it was removed the second the light arrived.
It's sent out in a pulse, it is not left on. Once again refuting one of your statements...or did you retract your claim that light doesn't travel independently of its source?
So how can a *#$( pulse tell us anything. Are you depending on someone's sight to give us this information? We can't even decipher all kinds of images due to illusions, and yet you think this is an accurate test? I don't think so.
ROFL, you don't understand the first thing about how your own model could possibly work, let alone the standard model. 2 reasonably bright children can use light pulses to send messages in Morse Code, so pulses aren't anything weird that can't tell us anything, first of all. Secondly, no, we are not depending on anyone's sight, we depend on state of the art photo receivers and atomic clocks, remember?

This issue is the failure of Lessans ideas every, single time, peacegirl. The other "discoveries" are at least philosophical or psychological in nature, so can't be so easily disproven. Nobody will care about them, though, once they get a load of the efferent vision crap.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), Dragar (07-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing is being revealed if it's just light. We would be tracking the light and we all know light travels. If there is no matter for light to reveal, we won't get an image in real time.
There is matter for the light to reveal. There is the reflector on the moon. It is revealed more brightly when the additional laser light begins to hit it. Only we see this in delayed time, rather than when it is actually happening.
Keep telling yourself this, maybe you will talk yourself into it. :laugh: :biglaugh: :rofl:

Old 07-26-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You have absolutely no conception of what you're talking about Spacemonkey. You have not taken the time to study it. You are a big bullshitter of the worst kind. Tell me what his explanation is without resorting to the book, since you know all about it? Come on, I dare you!
You're just trying to change the subject again, weasel. If you can answer my questions without contradicting yourself, retracting your answers, or talking about completely different photons then I will do this for you.
LadyShea (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There is matter for the light to reveal. There is the reflector on the moon. It is revealed more brightly when the additional laser light begins to hit it. Only we see this in delayed time, rather than when it is actually happening.
Keep telling yourself this, maybe you will talk yourself into it. :laugh: :biglaugh: :rofl:
What part of what I said do you disagree with, weasel?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

By the way, you may recall that light always moves at a constant speed (called, conveniently enough, "the speed of light"), and doesn't linger at sensors, waiting for us to process what we've just seen.
I didn't mean that, but the laser would still be shining on the sensor unless it was removed the second the light arrived.
It's sent out in a pulse, it is not left on. Once again refuting one of your statements...or did you retract your claim that light doesn't travel independently of its source?
So how can a *#$( pulse tell us anything. Are you depending on someone's sight to give us this information? We can't even decipher all kinds of images due to illusions, and yet you think this is an accurate test? I don't think so.
ROFL, you don't understand the first thing about how your own model could possibly work, let alone the standard model. 2 reasonably bright children can use light pulses to send messages in Morse Code, so pulses aren't anything weird that can't tell us anything, first of all. Secondly, no, we are not depending on anyone's sight, we depend on state of the art photo receivers and atomic clocks, remember?

This issue is the failure of Lessans ideas every, single time, peacegirl. The other "discoveries" are at least philosophical or psychological in nature, so can't be so easily disproven. Nobody will care about them, though, once they get a load of the efferent vision crap.
This vision stuff is not crap just because LadyShea says it is. And one discovery has nothing to do with the other. His first discovery is not philosophical, it's factual. It can't be disproven because it's factual. :laugh:

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-26-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you are seeing something, then the light is interacting with something in the atmosphere, otherwise it's just plain old light coming from a laser or any light source.
But we aren't seeing light in the atmosphere. We are seeing the laser light at the moon's surface.
In real time! Didn't you just say that we don't see the laser light at the moon's surface? Don't reply.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pulses don't carry wavelengths that bring information to the eye to be converted into an image, and if that's what you think, you're wrong, but who am I to tell you you're wrong. That's what hubris does to people; it makes them full of themselves. This stops progress.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you are seeing something, then the light is interacting with something in the atmosphere, otherwise it's just plain old light coming from a laser or any light source.
But we aren't seeing light in the atmosphere. We are seeing the laser light at the moon's surface.
In real time! Didn't you just say that we don't see the laser light at the moon's surface? Don't reply.
I will reply. No, I did not just say that. And no, we do not see it in real time. The laser light illuminates the reflector when it hits it, i.e. 1.3sec after being switched on. But we only see it 2.6sec after it is switched on. That is not real time, Dingbat.
Dragar (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Pulses don't carry wavelengths that bring information to the eye to be converted into an image...
What on Earth do you think a pulse is? Or a wavelength, for that matter? (And no, that wasn't a request for you to go Googling to cut-and-paste a response you don't understand.)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If we had a powerful enough lens we would get an image of the light striking the reflector in 1.3 seconds...
But we don't. When we use powerful lenses we still see it after a 1.3sec delay, which is exactly the time speed delay predicted by afferent vision.
Oh really? Show me the proof. You keep repeating what you think is true, but there should be proof out there, shouldn't there? Why don't they have this on youtube?

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-26-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I will reply. No, I did not just say that. And no, we do not see it in real time. The laser light illuminates the reflector when it hits it, i.e. 1.3sec after being switched on. But we only see it 2.6sec after it is switched on. That is not real time, Dingbat.
You are such a bully. I refuse to continue this conversation with you. You are too invested in being right at all costs. BULLY!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If we had a powerful enough lens we would get an image of the light striking the reflector in 1.3 seconds...
But we don't. When we use powerful lenses we still see it after a 1.3sec delay, which is exactly the time speed delay predicted by afferent vision.
Oh really? Show me the proof. You keep repeating what you think is true, but there should be proof out there, shouldn't there be? Why don't they have this on youtube?
Have you tried LOOKING on Youtube?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You are such a bully. I refuse to continue this conversation with you. You are too invested in being right at all costs. BULLY!
Oh, you poor perpetual victim! Grow up, Peacegirl.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

:lol:
Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Spiffiest wanger

:catlady:

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), Spacemonkey (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh really? Show me the proof. You keep repeating what you think is true, but there should be proof out there, shouldn't there be? Why don't they have this on youtube?
:rofl:

Proof by youtube! Yeah, that's science!

Probably, though, it IS on youtube! It's also all over the goddamned Internet and in books scattered throughout the world, you dishonest, whining little snot. Why don't you go to school and learn something? Or how about you contact NASA about this experiment and ask them to explain it to you? Want us to ask for you? :lol:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Thanks, from:
Cynthia of Syracuse (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That's because light does not reveal itself!
Quote:
Quote:
The light, what else?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is nothing being revealed; we see the laser spot as it is being reflected back to Earth. That's what I meant. I still don't think it would be possible to see this light because it's too far away and the reflector is too small. We're talking about a quarter of a million miles away. Even the Hubble cannot resolve a small artifact let alone a dot of light no matter how bright that dot is.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
The reflector is 18 inches square at almost a quarter million miles away, and you expect someone to be able to see this reflection when a powerful telescope can't? It's not that the light can't be seen in real time; it's that the light is too far away to be resolved.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Really? That is what you're claiming now?

The Palomar Telescope is theoretically capable of detecting the light output of a single candle at the distance of the Moon -- even through the Earth's atmosphere. Detecting laser light reflected from the Moon's surface is no big deal. These aren't cheap laser pointers we're talking about; we're talking about big, powerful, very bright laser emitters.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), Dragar (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Forget what I said, it didn't come out right. :innocent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
By the way, since we use this same technique to measure the distance to the Moon, you do realize that if Lessans is correct, then our measurements of the Moon's distance are off by a factor of 2. Funny, you'd think the Apollo astronauts would have noticed that ...
Why? I didn't say it would take 1.3 seconds for a round trip, only one way, so how would that compute to being off by a factor of 2. None of these measurements using the speed of light are even being disputed.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Really? That is what you're claiming now?

The Palomar Telescope is theoretically capable of detecting the light output of a single candle at the distance of the Moon -- even through the Earth's atmosphere. Detecting laser light reflected from the Moon's surface is no big deal. These aren't cheap laser pointers we're talking about; we're talking about big, powerful, very bright laser emitters.
That's not what I read regarding artifacts left on the moon. I was assuming that the same would hold true for laser dots.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy