Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
The moons of Jupiter is just another conclusion that appears airtight. I don't know why this moon isn't seen at that point in its orbit at the expected time? You have to be open-minded to the fact that the conclusion that we're seeing this moon in delayed time may not be accurate.
What a complete hypocrite you are!

You insist that other people are close-minded, but when a direct test of your father's claims provides conclusive evidence that he was wrong, your response is to deny the evidence.

You are the exact opposite of open-minded. By your own admission you won't seriously consider the possibility that Lessans could have been wrong. Yet you have the gall to insist that it's other people who are being close-minded.

Here's a new entry for the Lessans-to-English dictionary: "hypocrite: see peacegirl"
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), davidm (07-26-2014), thedoc (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
From what I have gathered, I don't think they can see the reflected laser light from reflectors on the moon. Could you be wrong about this?
From the video, sometimes there were as few as 5 - 10 photons from the reflector, which may have been difficult for the eye to pick up, but other times there were more and at those times the eye could easily have picked up the flash of light.
davidm (07-26-2014), Spacemonkey (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Peacegirl's fawning devotion to a self-aggrandizing nitwit, so extreme that she denies reality when it is shoved in her face, has its sad and even tragic aspects. There are times I am tempted to actually feel sorry for her -- but then I remember what a dishonest, willfully ignorant :weasel: she is, and the mood passes. :yup:
Thanks, from:
thedoc (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
So, according to peacegirl, stars cannot be seen. After all, they're point light sources from our perspective, and cannot be resolved as anything other than point light sources -- not even by most telescopes.

Here's a clue for you: most astronomical telescopes aren't capable of resolving stars (other than the Sun) any more than our eyes can. The telescopes simply gather more light than our eyes do, meaning that the stars in question look like brighter dots.
That could be true. So what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
You know, peacegirl, you wouldn't sound quite so idiotic if you'd make even a minimal effort to educate yourself on these things. Our ability to detect light is due to its intensity, not the apparent size of the object emitting or reflecting the light.
Right, but the guy said only a few photons reach the telescope so that light can't be very intense by the time it reaches Earth. The point I'm making is if Lessans' claims are correct, we would be able to see this light at the point of reflection but if the light isn't intense enough at that distance, then it wouldn't be detected at 1.3 seconds. The theory that it can't be seen until 2.6 seconds later may be true but for a different reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You should try to learn at least something about these things if you're going to pontificate on them. Because honestly, it's difficult to understand how you couple possibly sound more idiotic and ignorant than you do right now.
I'm really sorry to hear that. Even if I do make some mistakes, I'm trying to figure out how efferent vision could work with the questions that are being posed. I still don't believe that there is a conflict with traveling light (which Lessans never denied), and seeing in real time. I am not going to concede just to make you happy.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
My daughters dog is staying with us a few days and just a few minutes ago was outside and happened to look in one window. My wife was looking out of the window and the dog gave clear indications that she recognized my wife and wanted to play, the dog was waging her tail and jumping around even though My wife wasn't moving or making any kind of motion, just looking out the window. My daughters dog recognized my wife from sight alone. Therefore, according to Peacegirl, efferent vision is disproven, once and for all.
No, your dog is familiar with your house and saw a human figure (your wife) which she responded to by wagging her tail and wanting to play because she has associated being at your house with having a good time. This in no way tells you whether she actually identified your wife by her features and knew who she was without using her other senses.
You weren't there, I was, and I know the dog and how she reacts to different people. The dog was definitely recognizing my wife and wanting to play with her. You have a nasty habit of posting things that you know nothing about, you don't know my daughters dog, you don't know anything about my house, and you don't know anything about the relationship between my daughters dog and my wife. It seems that this is a bad habit that you inherited from your father, as throughout the book he was constantly blathering on about things that he obviously knew nothing about. If you only posted on the things you knew something about, you wouldn't post anything at all.
Angakuk (07-27-2014), davidm (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
From what I have gathered, I don't think they can see the reflected laser light from reflectors on the moon. Could you be wrong about this?
From the video, sometimes there were as few as 5 - 10 photons from the reflector, which may have been difficult for the eye to pick up, but other times there were more and at those times the eye could easily have picked up the flash of light.
That's just not true. Light that is being reflected from a quarter of a million miles away off of a tiny 18 square inch reflector would be very difficult, if not impossible, to see even with a powerful telescope, so the conclusion that this proves my father's claim false is invalid.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Peacegirl's fawning devotion to a self-aggrandizing nitwit, so extreme that she denies reality when it is shoved in her face, has its sad and even tragic aspects. There are times I am tempted to actually feel sorry for her -- but then I remember what a dishonest, willfully ignorant :weasel: she is, and the mood passes. :yup:
Good for you, no sympathy for those like her.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My daughters dog is staying with us a few days and just a few minutes ago was outside and happened to look in one window. My wife was looking out of the window and the dog gave clear indications that she recognized my wife and wanted to play, the dog was waging her tail and jumping around even though My wife wasn't moving or making any kind of motion, just looking out the window. My daughters dog recognized my wife from sight alone. Therefore, according to Peacegirl, efferent vision is disproven, once and for all.
No, your dog is familiar with your house and saw a human figure (your wife) which she responded to by wagging her tail and wanting to play because she has associated being at your house with having a good time. This in no way tells you whether she actually identified your wife by her features and knew who she was without using her other senses.
You weren't there, I was, and I know the dog and how she reacts to different people. The dog was definitely recognizing my wife and wanting to play with her. You have a nasty habit of posting things that you know nothing about, you don't know my daughters dog, you don't know anything about my house, and you don't know anything about the relationship between my daughters dog and my wife. It seems that this is a bad habit that you inherited from your father, as throughout the book he was constantly blathering on about things that he obviously knew nothing about. If you only posted on the things you knew something about, you wouldn't post anything at all.
Um hello? I would appreciate if you do the same. You didn't know my father, you didn't know anything about him. You cannot extrapolate from his book anything about his honesty and character. You have a bad habit of blathering but you can't take the very thing you dish out. I can admit I don't know the dog or your wife, but this proves nothing. Dogs have wanted to play with statues in a park because they see the shape of the human and they associate that with play. This has to be a joke thedoc or you're getting extremely desperate.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The theory that it can't be seen until 2.6 seconds later may be true but for a different reason.
"Something else must be going on," in other words. So, when faced with inconvenient facts, you simply choose to ignore them.

Quote:
Even if I do make some mistakes, I'm trying to figure out how efferent vision could work with the questions that are being posed.
No you aren't. Would you at least be honest for a change? What you're trying to do is explain away the mountains of evidence against Lessans' claims. The last thing you're interested in is an honest evaluation of the evidence. And you certainly make no effort to actually understand the evidence which refutes Lessans' claims, as even you occasionally admit in your more lucid moments.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), thedoc (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
The theory that it can't be seen until 2.6 seconds later may be true but for a different reason.
Ah! We're back to "Something else is Going on" as an excuse for being a dishonest :weasel:.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
"Something else must be going on," in other words. So, when faced with inconvenient facts, you simply choose to ignore them.
No, I'm saying that the reason why we can't see the reflected light might NOT be the real reason at all. Why can't you keep an open mind? You don't want to. You've already concluded that Lessans is wrong which causes your mind to be closed. That does not serve science at all.

Quote:
Even if I do make some mistakes, I'm trying to figure out how efferent vision could work with the questions that are being posed.
Quote:
No you aren't. Would you at least be honest for a change? What you're trying to do is explain away the mountains of evidence against Lessans' claims. The last thing you're interested in is an honest evaluation of the evidence. And you certainly make no effort to actually understand the evidence which refutes Lessans' claims, as even you occasionally admit in your more lucid moments.
All I'm doing is trying to show that this model is plausible. You have had your day in court, I haven't. Science has had centuries to create a model that seems to fit every conceivable scenario. I haven't, so I'm at a disadvantage. You've got to cut me a little slack if you want to be fair about it.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ah! We're back to "Something else is Going on" as an excuse for being a dishonest :weasel:.
I didn't say that, I said that we might not be seeing the reflection because the light is just not intense enough to be seen in real time. The conclusion drawn is that we don't see the light because it hasn't reached our telescopes. That could be the wrong conclusion after all. Don't give me a knee jerk reaction that this isn't possible, because it is.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I would appreciate if you do the same. You didn't know my father, you didn't know anything about him. You cannot extrapolate from his book anything about his honesty and character. You have a bad habit of blathering but you can't take the very thing you dish out. I can admit I don't know the dog or your wife, but this proves nothing. Dogs have wanted to play with statues in a park because they see the shape of the human and they associate that with play. This has to be a joke thedoc or you're getting extremely desperate.
My wife didn't write a book of nonsense in an effort to sell that nonsense, that book gives me a very good insight into the kind of man your father was, a dishonest charlatan. :lol:

Yes, you are correct, this is a joke, and you are the joke. :whoosh:
Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I would appreciate if you do the same. You didn't know my father, you didn't know anything about him. You cannot extrapolate from his book anything about his honesty and character. You have a bad habit of blathering but you can't take the very thing you dish out. I can admit I don't know the dog or your wife, but this proves nothing. Dogs have wanted to play with statues in a park because they see the shape of the human and they associate that with play. This has to be a joke thedoc or you're getting extremely desperate.
My wife didn't write a book of nonsense in an effort to sell that nonsense, that book gives me a very good insight into the kind of man your father was, a dishonest charlatan. :lol:

Yes, you are correct, this is a joke, and you are the joke. :whoosh:
It's too bad that you have diarrhea of the mouth and can't control it. :wave:

Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
As noted earlier, 5-9 photons within 100 ms is sufficient for the human brain to register the light.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (07-27-2014), Spacemonkey (07-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-26-2014), thedoc (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, I'm saying that the reason why we can't see the reflected light might NOT be the real reason at all. Why can't you keep an open mind? You don't want to. You've already concluded that Lessans is wrong which causes your mind to be closed. That does not serve science at all.

Quote:
Quote:
All I'm doing is trying to show that this model is plausible. You have had your day in court, I haven't. Science has had centuries to create a model that seems to fit every conceivable scenario. I haven't, so I'm at a disadvantage. You've got to cut me a little slack if you want to be fair about it.
Just when I think you can't say anything that's more idiotic or hypocritical than what you've already said, you prove me wrong yet again. Bravo.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
If you only posted on the things you knew something about, you wouldn't post anything at all.
It's as I've often said: as a professional writer and editor, I'd be happy to edit Lessans' book. I would make it much more concise and understandable. In fact, it would be the easiest project I ever had. Here's the whole edit:

The Decline and Fall of All Evil
By Seymour Lessans

The End

You can have the edit free of charge, peacegirl. :yup: Just glad to have helped out!
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (07-27-2014), thedoc (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:02 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Then you need to change your answers, because the answers you gave said that they can.
I will not.
Fine. Don't change your answers. That just means your account remains flatly contradictory, with the photons in question both traveling and not traveling the 93 million miles from the Sun to the film in under 8min.

Quote:
You just rejected your own answers above, so you do need to answer them again. Here they are:

You need photons at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited.

Are they traveling photons?

Did they come from the Sun?

Did they get to the film by traveling?

Did they travel at the speed of light?

Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?
Still no answers to the above questions?

Quote:
Quote:
No, but you did. Why did you say it if it isn't true and isn't what your father said? And given that your statement was wrong, I refer you back to what you were initially replying to when you made this wrong statement: The ONLY thing a lens ever does is to change the direction of light passing through it. So a lens cannot do anything to produce an image of the Sun until light has had time to reach it from the Sun.
But it has Spacemonkey. I'm not going to keep saying the same thing over and over again because you can't accept that this account changes everything. It puts the Sun in the same physical space as your eyes, which creates a different mechanism. You are instantly in optical range of the Sun just like you are with the candle. Actual distance has no bearing on this model of sight, which you keep bringing into it. He never said light doesn't travel and take 81/2 minutes to reach Earth, but this is not relevant.
Don't be daft. Your account cannot put the Sun inside people's eyes. And if the lens is affecting light that has had time (8min) to travel from the Sun to the lens, then we are talking about light that has arrived 8min too late to be of any use to you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have always maintained that light travels...
Does that include the light you need at the film on Earth when the Sun is first ignited? Did that light travel from the Sun to get there? If so, how long did it take to complete the journey, and when did it leave the Sun? Try not to talk about completely different photons this time.
It doesn't matter what photons are being replaced, it is an instant view of the Sun just like the candle. Would any lens be able to pick up the delay when a candle is first turned on? NOOOOOOO, well the same is true here. You keep bringing up distance which has NO BEARING ON THIS ACCOUNT. NADA.
I didn't say anything about replacement or about distance. Try reading what you are replying to. You said you have always maintained that light travels. So I asked: Does that include the light you need at the film on Earth when the Sun is first ignited? Did that light travel from the Sun to get there? If so, how long did it take to complete the journey, and when did it leave the Sun?

Quote:
Quote:
If I don't understand what you mean, it's only because you aren't saying what you mean. But I know what your mind is doing even if you don't. You begin by saying that the photons I am asking about traveled from the Sun to get to the film, because that is the only conceivable answer. But then you switch to saying that these photons must be different photons because your answer would have them arriving 8min too late. Then you conveniently ignore the fact that this means you haven't answered the original question, due to these no longer being the photons you were asked about. Your response above is also nonsense, as there is no reflection of any image in the afferent account for your newly ignited Sun either.
There actually is...
No, there is not. There is no reflection at all involved in the afferent account of looking at and seeing a newly ignited Sun.
Bump for the :weasel::queen:

Just in case you thought your latest diversionary tactic had actually achieved anything.
Okay, emission. It really doesn't make a difference. Light is light whether it's being emitted from a light source or reflected from an object.
You've replied to nothing but the last sentence of my post. :facepalm:
No Spacemonkey, the same photon traveled from the Sun to the Earth but this has no relevance at all. You keep trying to attribute to light abilities that it doesn't have.
The same photon as what? And what abilities am I attributing to light that it doesn't have?

Do you realize this is the third time you've responded to this post without addressing a single thing it says?

Is that reasonable?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:11 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The "day in court" has come and gone, the evidence is in, afferent vision is supported by an overwhelming mountain of evidence, efferent has none, and all the evidence that exists is against efferent vision. And before you make the false claim, Scientists were not biased in favor of afferent vision, they originally believed in efferent vision, and couldn't prove it.
Cynthia of Syracuse (07-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Peacegirl's "something else may be going on there" is not entirely stupid -- it's just stupid in this context. Indeed, for all our theories, something else might be going on there, in such a way that a competing theory would evince the same empirical consequences. See: Undetermination of Scientific Theory

But that's what Lessans failed to offer: a competing theory that, 1. light travels at a finite speed, but also that 2. We see in real time. I've no idea what such a theory would remotely look like -- I doubt there could be one -- but the point is that it would have to jibe with all empirical evidence that we have, AND explain a mechanism for this astounding claim. Of course Seymour failed to provide either. But, anyway, theory underdetermination in the philosophy of science IS an interesting topic, and in a perfect world, we would all now go on to discuss this and ignore peacegirl, but this is far from a perfect world. :cry:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), ceptimus (07-27-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (07-27-2014), The Lone Ranger (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
You need photons at the camera film when the Sun is first ignited.

Are they traveling photons?

Did they come from the Sun?

Did they get from the Sun to the film by traveling?

Did they travel at the speed of light?

Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?

When did they leave the Sun?
These questions remain completely unanswered, Peacegirl. See if you can answer them without weaseling and without ending up talking about completely different photons. Can you do it?
Bump.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
:whoosh:
It's too bad that you have diarrhea of the mouth and can't control it.

Tis' a pity that you can't post the truth, or at least be honest about what you know and don't know. :doh:
Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As noted earlier, 5-9 photons within 100 ms is sufficient for the human brain to register the light.
That's all well and good, but the telescope cannot register reflected light off of a tiny piece of reflective material at a quarter of a million miles away, even if the light is intense. It just won't be seen.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
But, anyway, theory underdetermination in the philosophy of science IS an interesting topic, and in a perfect world, we would all now go on to discuss this and ignore peacegirl, but this is far from a perfect world. :cry:

So we're stuck with Peacegirl. :sadcheer:

I don't believe that any scientific theory has ever been declared as "finally proven", but I might be wrong.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
That's all well and good, but the telescope cannot register reflected light off of a tiny piece of reflective material at a quarter of a million miles away, even if the light is intense. It just won't be seen.
Gah! Do you even listen to yourself?

Do you have any idea how idiotic what you just said is?

As was just pointed out, the unaided human eye is capable of detecting light of that intensity, much less a telescope.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-27-2014), thedoc (07-27-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy