Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
oont..!

Default Re: I Hate When in Movies/Teevee...

Or when a man & a woman are in bed together and the woman's body is completely covered by the sheet but the male's entire torso is showing.

So unrealistic.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
What's a hair doingers?
Like you have in your avatar there. Except that she had what I like to call The Peacock, where you get one big fan of hair sticking up around the place where your head was on the pillow.
Thanks, from:
Ymir's blood (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
What I hate is when someone gets stabbed in a movie and coughs up blood. Who walks around with fake blood packets in their mouth all the time?
Gene Simmons, of course.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-19-2008), BrotherMan (11-19-2008), Crumb (11-19-2008), Deadlokd (11-24-2008), Doctor X (01-21-2012), Farren (11-20-2008), Julie (11-20-2008), wei yau (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

:gene:
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (11-20-2008), Farren (11-20-2008), livius drusus (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Quote:
What's a hair doingers?
Like you have in your avatar there. Except that she had what I like to call The Peacock, where you get one big fan of hair sticking up around the place where your head was on the pillow.
Ok, thanks. My hair always ends up flatter after waking up for some reason. :\

I'll have to try sleeping on a cot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Quote:
What I hate is when someone gets stabbed in a movie and coughs up blood. Who walks around with fake blood packets in their mouth all the time?
Gene Simmons, of course.
:shakeglare:
livius drusus (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
I think it's hilarious when a hacker/cracker is hacking/cracking into some security system or summat, and when he gets in, he's treated to a kaleidoscopic graphic display as if he just beat the last boss in a video game. As if every time someone legitimately logs onto a system, the monitor lights up with a BAWOOSH KABOOM BOOYEAH YOWZA!!!
I'm a big fan of the convenient, user friendly, hacker/cracker GUI elements that every OS in movies or television ships with. DING! PASSWORD CRACKED! DING! VIRUS UPLOADED! Yes, I know they exists so the non-hackers in the audience understand what's going on, but it always cracks me up that all the 1337 h4xx0r5 use what appears to be Microsoft Easy-Hack for Windows 3.0.

Fallout 3 does a halfway decent job portraying system cracking, btw. You see your character enter commands to crack open an encrypted file holding all the system passwords, then you play a mini-game to logically determine which string in the file is the correct password.
Thanks, from:
Farren (11-20-2008), LadyShea (01-20-2012), Nullifidian (11-20-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Where to start?

I hate it when the writers want a character to seem smart. But instead of having the character, you know, behave intelligently (and incidentally, reciting long strings of technobabble with a straight face is not the same as "behaving intelligently"), they make everyone else in his/her vicinity behave as if they're drooling idiots.

For particularly egregious examples, see Khan in Star Trek II or Wesley Crusher in any randomly-chosen episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

On a related note, I hate it when the writers want us to believe that a character is very wise. But instead of having the character, you know, behave wisely, they have him or her constantly recite utterly trite and obvious things with a grave tone of voice. [Well thank you Captain Obvious! It never would have occurred to me that just because the Klingons are shooting at us, they're feeling a tad aggressive.]

See Guinan or Yoda.

I hate it when some character gets a penetrating wound to the shoulder and shrugs it off as "just a flesh wound." Um, depending on exactly where the bullet/arrow/laser hit and how deeply it penetrated, it's likely that it a.) cut the subclavian artery, in which case you're going to bleed to death pretty soon if you don't do something about it, b.) damaged some of the nerves coming from the brachial plexus, in which case you'll be lucky if your arm isn't paralyzed, c.) damaged the clavicle and/or scapula and/or humerus bones -- which, again, is going to impair your ability to use that arm.

In any event, a penetrating shoulder wound isn't something you can just shrug off.

The worst offense, though, has to be movie/television swordplay. I usually can't stand to watch, it's so unbearably bad. 99 times out of 100, it's painfully obvious that the antagonists are aiming at each others' weapons instead of each other. And in the process, they're leaving themselves completely vulnerable to counterattack. Any trained swordsman would take out Conner McLeod, Duncan McLeod, Darth Vader or Obi-Wan Kenobi in about 10 seconds flat.

I've heard some apologists claim that the excruciatingly-bad swordplay in the Star Wars movies is somehow excused by The Force. I don't buy it for a second. To understand why not, imagine that standard Jedi equipment was an impenetrable shield and a laser gun. Now imagine that in every single on-screen battle, each antagonist held his shield in one hand, as far away from his body as possible. And instead of shooting at his opponent, each Jedi fired shot after shot after shot at his opponent's shield instead of at his opponent's completely exposed and vulnerable body.

Under those circumstances, would you find it even remotely plausible that these guys were competent warriors? Of course not! And yet, the scenario I outlined above is roughly equivalent to how the swordplay is typically executed in those movies.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-19-2008), BrotherMan (11-19-2008), chunksmediocrites (11-20-2008), Crumb (11-19-2008), Doctor X (01-21-2012), Julie (11-20-2008), Kael (11-20-2008), livius drusus (11-19-2008), Nullifidian (11-20-2008), trientalis (11-20-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 09:18 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
I think it's hilarious when a hacker/cracker is hacking/cracking into some security system or summat, and when he gets in, he's treated to a kaleidoscopic graphic display as if he just beat the last boss in a video game. As if every time someone legitimately logs onto a system, the monitor lights up with a BAWOOSH KABOOM BOOYEAH YOWZA!!!
You've obviously never used Mac OS X.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (11-19-2008), Crumb (11-19-2008), Doctor X (01-21-2012), Nullifidian (11-20-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Tellifying

What about the Dread Pirate Roberts vs. Inigo Montoya? Was that a believable sword fight?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Good Gawd, no!

But it at least had the virtue of being funny.

It fact, it may be funnier to anyone who's had some practice at fencing. The ridiculously overblown moves are part of the joke, I'm sure.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

What about the Rob Roy sword fight?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Tech hates

The uber hacker god of all games and systems: think jeff goldbloom whipping up a virus in id4 for an alien system in a few minutes, or any movie with a genius or hacker who can pick up any game and be really good at it immediately. Certainly, some people are better at games then others but, dayum.

Action irritation:

Everyone who is shot is killed pretty much instantly, unless of course they have a dramatic second surge. Exceptions to the rule, state of grace, excellent shootout where people are actually wounded. :tmgrin:
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-20-2012)
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Fishy mokey

We went over this in another thread (on accents) but it is pretty annoying when American/British spies/soldiers/commandos or whatever try to sneak by the German (or for that matter Arab) checkpoint/border speaking with the most atrocious accent you could possibly imagine.
Stormlight (11-20-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
We went over this in another thread (on accents) but it is pretty annoying when American/British spies/soldiers/commandos or whatever try to sneak by the German (or for that matter Arab) checkpoint/border speaking with the most atrocious accent you could possibly imagine.
They only need to mimic a British accent to pass as native speakers of German, anyway.
Adam (11-19-2008), Nullifidian (11-20-2008), Stormlight (02-02-2012), Watser? (11-19-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
What about the Rob Roy sword fight?
From what I can recall (it's been years since I saw the movie), that was actually a pretty realistic swordfight.

Swinging a big, heavy broadsword is exhausting. On the other hand, one solid hit against an unarmoured opponent is likely to kill him outright. By contrast, a rapier is a much faster and lighter sword, but it's hard to get in a killing blow unless you thrust -- and that leaves you vulnerable to counterattack.

In the days when "gentlemen" often fought with rapiers, it wasn't all that unusual for the fighters to wear thick leather gloves and to attempt to grab their opponents' swords. It was a dangerous trick, to be sure, but a sufficiently-thick glove provided pretty good protection to the hand. This trick wouldn't work against a heavier sword like a Japanese katana or a broadsword though, since such a sword would cut right through the glove (and the hand inside too, in all likelihood).

In reality, Rob Roy's trick of grabbing the villain's sword would probably have cost him the use of that hand, but it's surely better than dying. A rapier might not have cut completely through the bones of his hand and so severed fingers, but it probably would have done irreparable damage to the tendons of his hand.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (11-20-2008), Crumb (11-20-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post

In reality, Rob Roy's trick of grabbing the villain's sword would probably have cost him the use of that hand, but it's surely better than dying. A rapier might not have cut completely through the bones of his hand and so severed fingers, but it probably would have done irreparable damage to the tendons of his hand.

Cheers,

Michael
My brother and I have always considered the fight in Rob Roy is one of the best sword fights ever. Skill vs. will. Rob Roy at the end crippling himself for life to win.

Just wow.

I love that sword fight
Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Northier Than Thou

I hate it when a writer decides to show that two characters are really smart, so he has them playing shess together. We see them talking and playing just long enough to draw the conclusion that these are smart people with a smart-people hobby. Then one says; "Check," the second looks surprised for just a moment, then says; "Checkmate."

...thus proving that both characters are bumbling amatures.

I also hate the fact that a thread which began about boobs, bras, and preference for outright nudity has now degenerated into a discussion of swordfights and chess games.

PRIORITIES PEOPLE!

:germany: :tx: :co: :ca: :wy: :nv: :il: :navajonation: :az: :tx: :ak:
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-20-2008), chunksmediocrites (11-20-2008), Deadlokd (11-24-2008), Julie (11-20-2008), Nullifidian (11-20-2008), Pan Narrans (11-20-2008), Stormlight (11-20-2008), Watser? (11-20-2008)
Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 PM

I tried, Brim. I tried so hard.
Thanks, from:
Brimshack (11-21-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
I tried, Brim. I tried so hard.
You're the one who put all these nerds around here in the first place, though.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-20-2008), Crumb (11-20-2008), Ensign Steve (01-05-2014), Stormlight (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

*keeps hitting F5, waiting for teh bewbs*
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (02-02-2012)
Old 11-20-2008, 12:32 AM

How could I have known they'd have an aversion to bewbs?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 AM

From the X Files
  • 1. Scully discussing a head CT which is actually a skull x-ray.
    2. A comatose Mulder "completely t3h unresponsive" with a ventilator running not . . . actually . . . connected to him.
    3. "We need a P . . . E . . . T . . . scan, STAT!" It is a "pet" scan, it does not exist in your Joe's Emergency Room and Tackle . . . it is also a useless modality . . . and it is actually an x-ray you are looking at . . . upside-down.

From Law&Order
  • 1. All of the chest x-rays upside down--and a few backwards. What is it with people? I mean . . . "heads up," right?
    2. "The bullet is blocking the flow of cerebral spinal fluid!" No, it is not.
    3. Let's make long speeches in open court and talk over the judge.
    4. Teh Evil Transplant Surgeons do not worry about the pain of brain dead patients . . . being that they are . . . you know . . . brain dead.
    5. HOOK UP THE DAMN VENTILATOR . . . TO THE PATIENT!

From Star Trek Classic, DeepSixtyNine, Voyeur, and The Lost Gen . . .wait . . . no one had sex on The Lost Generation . . . at least no one "cool."
  • 1. Separate species from far-off planets all look sexy to one another--okay, maybe after a few Romulan ales or that "Green" Scotty has--and are BIOLOGICALLY COMPATIBLE!
    2. Whatever it is, SCIENCE [!--Ed.] will solve it in an hour.
    3. Whatever law it is, it will be broken . . . in . . . about an hour.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Julie (11-20-2008), Naru (11-20-2008), Stormlight (11-20-2008), The Lone Ranger (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

Separate species from far-off planets all look sexy to one another--okay, maybe after a few Romulan ales or that "Green" Scotty has--and are BIOLOGICALLY COMPATIBLE!
Tell me about it!

I know they hand-waved it by claiming that ancient aliens seeded the planets of the galaxy with their own DNA, but, genetically speaking, a human would have far more in common with an asparagus than a Vulcan. The notion that species that evolved on different planets would be at all biologically compatible is beyond ludicrous.

And seriously, why the heck would a creature that looks like a cross between a squid and a crayfish find a human female even remotely attractive?

[They played with this in Babylon 5 by having several characters note that G'Kar's attraction to human females was regarded as a perversion by his fellow Narn.]

Quote:
Whatever law it is, it will be broken . . . in . . . about an hour.
The absolute worst offender has to have been the Voyager episode in which they were able to escape from inside the event horizon of a black hole because the event horizon had a crack in it!

What the frak were the writers smoking?

I was also annoyed by the episode of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica in which it was apparent that the writers were unaware of the fact that water is the second most-abundant compound in the Universe.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Anachronistic language. Arthur Conan Doyle was most certainly not "a cool dude", Roy O'Bannon. Roy was played by perpetual dumbass Owen Wilson in Shanghai Knights, a movie rife with epic stupidity far worse than that, one which I had to endure last night. Perhaps Cowboy Roy and Chon Wang should consult the head honcho in charge of late 19th century lingo.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Bah. It wasn't supposed to be historically accurate.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature