Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 07-25-2010, 01:29 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Official "FUCK THA POLICE" thread

Once again, commentors are all "The police neveh, eveh abuse law abiding citizens!"
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-27-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Behold the case of Richard Paey, whose house was subjected to a raid for his horrible crime of... having prescription pain medicine for his Multiple Sclerosis. You read that right. He was convicted of it, of course. Prison officials were nonetheless forced to give him morphine, I guess to prove that the conspiracy theorists at the police and prosecution were right that he was trafficking pills rather than actually needing them. Kudos to Governor Charlie Crist for pardoning the guy.

This isn't the only example of this type of idiocy to occur in my state. In this absurd case, Mark O'Hara was arrested and prosecuted for the similarly appalling crime of... having 58 Vicodin pills with a legal prescription. The prosecution in that case insisted that the "prescription defense" was not recognized by Florida law, and the complete idiot of a judge agreed due to his complete idiocy, so the jury never even heard about the prescriptions. Sentence: mandatory minimum of 25 years. Thankfully, that case was quickly dismissed on appeal, and the appellate-level decision apparently called the prosecutor's pseudo-logic rather harsh words like "ridiculous" and "absurd."

Apparently the latest Penn and Teller focuses on cases like this, with a special focus on forensics and prosecutorial misconduct. While they can be ridiculous when it comes to economics I may have to watch that.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-27-2010), Caligulette (07-27-2010), chunksmediocrites (07-27-2010), Doctor X (07-27-2010), LadyShea (07-27-2010), lisarea (07-26-2010), Nullifidian (07-27-2010), Watser? (07-27-2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Much less serious but still stupid,
San Francisco Cops Bust Kids' Lemonade Stand
'"How can you tell the ice cream carts to leave and then let some people sell other things," Sergeant Troy Dangerfield explained to the San Francisco Weekly. "Just because they're kids they shouldn't get a free pass, you know?"'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Once again, commentors are all "The police neveh, eveh abuse law abiding citizens!"
Of course they don't. Although in a world where you can be arrested for assaulting an officer by running into his fist/tazer no one is really a "law abiding citizen."
Thanks, from:
Adam (07-27-2010), Caligulette (07-27-2010), Nullifidian (07-27-2010), The Man (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 AM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Kind of like what we're doing here but in reverse.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 AM
lumpy proletariat

And this has been alleged where in the thread?
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (07-27-2010), lisarea (07-27-2010), Naru (07-27-2010), The Man (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Apparently the latest Penn and Teller focuses on cases like this, with a special focus on forensics and prosecutorial misconduct. While they can be ridiculous when it comes to economics I may have to watch that.
I watched it last night. They do a pretty good job exposing the absurd, you just have to kind of accept their lolbertarian slant.
Thanks, from:
The Man (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ 浪人 View Post
Quote:
You're going to have the parse that for me. What are we doing here in reverse? Do you believe we are abusing law abiding cops?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
There's no way use of this won't end in in tears.
Quote:
...the Dazer Laser is not being sold to the public. They require a security code to activate and can be programmed to turn off after a set period of time to prevent abuse if they fall into the wrong hands.
I believe this is a violation of my Second Amendment rights. How and whom do I sue?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're going to have the parse that for me. What are we doing here in reverse? Do you believe we are abusing law abiding cops?
To me [inscrutable Asian characters] seems to be saying that we're saying that cops always abuse law abiding citizens, which is not true, I don't think anyone has even alleged that.
LadyShea (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:46 PM
California Sober

If you want to go straight logic, the negation of "nevah, evah" is "sometimes", so, yeah, I think we are doing that here.
LadyShea (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Sometimes does negate never, but it isn't the opposite, always is the opposite.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
California Sober

So the question remains, what did :inscrutable: mean by "reverse"?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Reverse, going the opposite direction, or reverse, halting something. Yeah, I guess so. What say you [inscrubable Asian characters username person]?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since my post has seemed to garner much sudden interest, I will do my best to clarify:

Ladyshea,

You quite astutely recognized the myopia of others who only see what they want to see regarding police officers and focus on that in singular fashion when they made their comments.

My comment is meant to reflect that there is a similar approach to such a singularity here in all of our posts as well.

Translating "in reverse" ~ the general perception reflected by comments in this thread (as encouraged by the title) is that "the police neveh, eveh help law abiding citizens".

In my view, your original quote implied that you are paraphrasing in order to promote the generalized concept that those commenting on that other board do not accept that there can ever be abusive police officers.

Likewise, I was promoting the concept that those commenting in this thread do not accept that there can ever be noble police officers dedicated to serving others and (in some cases) investigating abusive officers and bringing them to justice.

If we are to recognize the failings of others to widen their gaze, I thought it would be helpful to note that as a tendency we all seem to have.

Is there a thread of links recognizing heroic actions or sacrifices made by police officers here on this board?

If so, I stand corrected.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
California Sober

Oh, wow, we were both way off, Ding. :whoosh:
Dingfod (07-28-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Such a thread would not be the only way, or even necessarily the best way, to correct your assumption.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I was promoting the concept that those commenting in this thread do not accept that there can ever be noble police officers dedicated to serving others and (in some cases) investigating abusive officers and bringing them to justice.
I have never made the claim that all police officers are abusive, not have I made any claim that there are no good police officers, neither has anyone in this thread.
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-27-2010), Crumb (07-27-2010), Dingfod (07-28-2010), lisarea (07-27-2010), livius drusus (07-27-2010), Naru (07-27-2010), The Man (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To me [inscrutable Asian characters] seems to be saying that we're saying that cops always abuse law abiding citizens, which is not true, I don't think anyone has even alleged that.
Well, the question then remains that of topic focus.

The original presumption is that there exists a collective of folks, worthy of our considered disdain, that truly believe that "police neveh, eveh abuse law abiding citizens!"

I think that seems to be a totally ironic post given the nature, content and participation found in this very thread.

Again, perhaps if there is some iota of reflective effort given to the quite absent notion recognizing those officers who do live a life of involved diligence, public service and helping others a better defense could be made and equanimity found.

If not, no worries either, I was just pointing out what is being emphasized over what is not...and finding some additional food for thought.

A observably controversial topic in any event!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Such a thread would not be the only way, or even necessarily the best way, to correct your assumption.
Would you be willing to offer one?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Is there a thread of links recognizing heroic actions or sacrifices made by police officers here on this board?
You could start one? :dunno:

--J.D.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Nevermind
Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

LadyShea recently posted just such a story. Oddly enough, she chose not to post it in the thrad about police brutality...I wonder why that could be?

Also, I do wonder why we don't have a special thrad about people doing their ordinary jobs the way they are paid and legally obligated to do them, instead of a thrad about the occasions in which people fail in spectacularly destructive ways to do their ordinary jobs as they are paid and legally obligated to do them? It is a mystery.
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-27-2010), chunksmediocrites (08-18-2010), Dingfod (07-28-2010), Kael (07-28-2010), lisarea (07-27-2010), Naru (07-27-2010), Nullifidian (07-27-2010), Pan Narrans (07-27-2010), The Man (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
What would Hüsker Dü?

Quote:
Quote:
I was promoting the concept that those commenting in this thread do not accept that there can ever be noble police officers dedicated to serving others and (in some cases) investigating abusive officers and bringing them to justice.
I have never made the claim that all police officers are abusive, not have I made any claim that there are no good police officers, neither has anyone in this thread.
I also point out the absence of one view does not necessarily imply the other for those you channeled into this thread via your post which assesses, in one breath, their views regarding police.

If the presumption stands for some commenting positively regarding police officers in absolute terms on the other board you referenced, then the same presumption can easily be equally applied for those who comment negatively regarding police which are found here.

Contextually, I think that even those who may seem to support the notion that police are never abusive on that other board can be shown empirical evidence otherwise...just as many seem willing to do for those making singularly negative assertions about police here.

So, in short, if someone came to this thread and read the singularly negative cases and incidents regarding abusive police officers, would it be justifiable for them to post the presumption that that is the absolute consensus of folks here?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
California Sober

Quote:
So, in short, if someone came to this thread and read the singularly negative cases and incidents regarding abusive police officers, would it be justifiable for them to post the presumption that that is the absolute consensus of folks here?
In short, no.
Caligulette (07-27-2010), chunksmediocrites (08-18-2010), Dingfod (07-28-2010), LadyShea (07-27-2010), lisarea (07-27-2010), Nullifidian (07-27-2010), The Man (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Here is a comment that led to my post, I do not have exact quotes but had read similar comments elsewhere
Quote:
The nay sayers should consider not breaking the law and if you do break the law comply with the cops request. You see that way you won't get lazered or tazered. Make sense ? Only to sensible people... So whats your Beef ?

http://www.king5.com/news/BLINDING-L...-98973794.html
That is a pretty strong assertion, that if you do not break the law and you comply with requests you will not get tasered, and based on the evidence in this thread, it is completely unsupported.

Where have you seen a similar assertion of the opposite in this thread?
Thanks, from:
Caligulette (07-27-2010), Crumb (07-27-2010), The Man (07-27-2010)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium