Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 10-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Default Thread hijacking game

Sometimes threadjacking can be annoying, if there's a good discussion that gets lost. Other times, it's just fun.

I didn't invent this game; however, I've only seen it appear once. Simply put, hijack the post above yours by taking some insignificant part of the post off on a wild tangent. Since there's no post above mine, I'll just quote somebody on another thread. This may not be the best fodder, and my initial hijack is a bit lame, but I got tired of searching for something suitable. Feel free to provide "bait" for the next poster if you wish, as I attempted to do. Finally, please don't derail this thread by continuing discussion of a previous post rather than hijacking it. :wink:

Edited to add: As a courtesy to the next poster, please make your post lengthy enough to provide a good opening for a hijack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb
It is unfortunate how people's opinions of a place can be determined by only the first few interactions. I certainly would have seen this place in a much worse light if I had gotten some of the initial responses I have seen others receive. I think it has a lot to do with one's entrance though.
I agree entirely, and furthermore, I think it's horrible that some people are judged on their entrance alone. I used to live in an in-law apartment where you had to go down a long, narrow hallway around the garage. It would have been grossly unfair to judge my economic status, or my sanity, by the fact that I had such a bizarre entryway. After all, it was San Francisco and rents were high, and having an in-law apartment was a better choice than most of the more conventional apartments in my price range. I only had a slight rat problem, and a slightly more severe problem with mold and water leaks. I loved that musty masterpiece of an in-law apartment. Anybody who thinks otherwise just doesn't understand what it's like to live in San Francisco.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:01 AM
silky...

Default Re: Thread hijacking game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet
I only had a slight rat problem, and a slightly more severe problem with mold and water leaks.
Speaking of molds... tonight I was making jello in a antique copper mold shaped like a lobster, to the lime jello added canned mandarin oranges and sliced bananas. It is chilling now, does anyone have any tips on how to ease my lobster out of it's mold without breakage?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
Speaking of molds... It is chilling now,
It is getting colder here as well. There is a chance of snow flurries in the higher elevations on Sunday night.

The cooler temperatures should help with your mold problem. In the future though, perhaps you should try dealing the mold in a more conventional method?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:15 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood
In the future though, perhaps you should try dealing the mold in a more conventional method?
Always with the "conventional method." Well, the conventional method isn't always the best method. Just consider the practice of circumcision here in the United States. It's a stupid and unnecessarily practice in mutilation, and parents who want to do it should be put to death. Because capital punishment is the solution to most of society's problems. Even a place as backwards and socially retarded as the American South has figured that one out. I'm so glad they lost the civil war.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Speaking of the American South, I'm trying to find a way out of it. We've just been to New York, and it was fantastic! Nobody mocked my blue hair, combat boots, or choice of band t-shirts. The subway was lovely, and walking everywhere was great! I wonder what Philly's like in the winter.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 AM
California Sober

Philly cheese steak sandwiches are great. I like mine with onions, but no mushrooms. They are completely fattening, but I bet if you ate around the bun you could have it on the Atkin's diet.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Nonconformist

The only beef I have with Steve's post above is that there aren't enough tits in it. Well, not enough tits and not enough monkeys. Monkeys have tits too, ya know. Well, I've never found them particularly attractive, but then I've never been too partial to other simian creatures. I mean, come on. Have you seen their butts? What the hell is going on back there?

San Dimas Football Rules!

CH
Old 10-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

Fuck San Dimas, go Vols!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Nonconformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical-Chick
Fuck San Dimas, go Vols!
So delusional. Bama is so going to kick your ass on Saturday. "Stop Bama?" How about, "Stop, Bama! Stop! You're hurting us!"

So, you're right. Tom Cruise is indeed delusional about psychiatry. He should just take a couple dozen Xannies and sit on Oprah's couch with a Cohiba. I hear he's gonna be stocking up on them.

CH
Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Xannies would be better for the root canal aftermath than this codeine. At least then I wouldn't care..

Why are all dentists so sadistic? Don't they know that trying to make you laugh while preforming lengthy dental procedures isn't nice?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus
Why are all dentists so sadistic?
Wasn't there a sadistic dentist in Little Shop of Horrors? There weren't any dentists in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Day of the Triffids. From this we can surmise that two out of three killer plants avoid dentists.

I don't think there were any dentists in It Conquered the World, but maybe that monster wasn't really a plant. It did look sort of carrot-like though.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:41 AM
California Sober

I really like your avatar, Ymir's blood. Really.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve
Really.
Really. I don't get the point of this thread. It's like many other threads around here--in fact, quite a bit more coherent than most.

But really.

Fence
Old 10-19-2005, 05:16 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencesitter
Fence
There are lots of different kinds of split-rail fences. It's quite fascinating, really.

For example, a "snake-rail fence" has rails that interlock in a zigzag pattern.

A "buck-and-rail fence" is self-supporting, and so you don't have to dig postholes.

A "post-and-rail fence" is probably what most people think of when they think of "split-rail fences."

Cheers,

Michael
Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
It's quite fascinating, really.
I think online communities are fascinating. Here we are fumbling our way around through social dynamics never previously known to mankind. Is there a sociologist in the house? When was the last development in human social interaction as profound as the introduction of the Internet?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
So Fucking Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
Is there a sociologist in the house? When was the introduction of the Internet?
I am not a sociologist, nor do I know any. I do not know when the internet was introduced or who it was introduced to, but I do believe that Gore made up the idea. What a dumbass he is for not even patenting the idea. Bill Gates made, and is still making, BANK from other people's idea's. This seems rather similar to what Eintein did. Moral of the story: Patent your ideas! You never know just how valueable they are!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencesitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve
Really.
But really.

Fence
Reality TV? Love it or hate it?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Nonconformist

I don't see any bugs on those flowers. Did you know that bug men (and chicks too) are called entymologists? My grandfather was an entymologist. He got to see me shortly after I was born, and he held me once, and then he croaked. Not from a bug.

CH

(edited because I can't spell)

Last edited by Cool Hand; 10-19-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Oh speaking of bugs, I was reading about origami insects yesterday, it was pretty cool and awe inspiring. Mathematically they showed that you can take any one bi color sqare of sheet and build arbitrary complex shapes out of that single sheet of paper. They went on to show various different possibilities. The roigami designs were fascinating but the mathematics behind origami is also fascinating study of symmetries, nonlinear opimization equations, and subtle implications of the graph theory.

I love it when advanced mathematics crops its head up in art.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I tested really high on math when I was in high school, but I was completely hosed by a college math class I was taking by correspondence. Did you know you can take all kind degree programs by correspondence, which predated online courses? I was in a mechanical engineering program, but they had anything from accounting to motorcycle mechanic programs available.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Clutchenheimer

Accounting correspondence courses LOL well, you might as well just come out and say you think I'm stupid but I think many things really fast and lots of people understand. Or lying? Maybe at CF, but I've done what I can. Your place got broken into that time because you deserved it, Warren, and all I can do is stand up to bullying.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Nonconformist

I bullied a kid once in second grade. I pushed him in a ditch and I had to stand out in the hall for 20 minutes. That's a long time when you're seven. Seven's a lucky number.

AS
Old 10-19-2005, 02:43 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Munny
Accounting correspondence courses LOL well, you might as well just come out and say you think I'm stupid but I think many things really fast and lots of people understand. Or lying? Maybe at CF, but I've done what I can. Your place got broken into that time because you deserved it, Warren, and all I can do is stand up to bullying.
Holy fuck, Clutch. Did your mother drop you on your head when you were born? Isn't there enough child abuse going on in the world? My sister told me about one of her in-laws that had a baby die due to what was probably shaken baby syndrome. Nobody did time for it because it happened about 15 years ago.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Nonconformist

There's no statute of limitations for murder. I hated that show "Murder, She Wrote." God, it sucked. I did like Ms. Landsbury in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks." That was a hoot. The skeleton army was cool.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Cause without a rebel

I bought my nephew a broomstick the other day. I did have a slight twinge of conscience in case I was initiating him into the black arts but hey, it was cheap and i thought he'd like it.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium