Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
California Sober

Default Re: Earworm

Oh my god I had completely blocked that sandwich from my memory! I thought it was weird that you were obviously referring to a specific sandwich, and Bort knew exactly what, and I felt like I should but didn't.

The juxtaposition of "authentic Mexican enchilada sauce" and "we dumped a fucking bag of Fritos on it like you would do if you were drunk, high, pregnant, or bingeing" triggered a mild seizure and I was unable to create a solid memory of the song.

WHEEEEEE!!!!
BrotherMan (03-11-2014), erimir (04-02-2014), Janet (03-13-2014), lisarea (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I know, right? Unfortunately, the more heinous something is, the harder I fixate on it. Stupid song, stupid sandwich, stupid commercial. It's really no wonder I can't get it out of my head.

I think the thing that really puts that sandwich over the top is the bread. I don't care how drunk and pregnant I am, I might eat something like that in a bowl or straight out of the bathroom sink or whatever, but ON BREAD? UGH.

PS I have just listened to Koi no Mega Lover like seven times in a row.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-11-2014), Ensign Steve (03-11-2014), Janet (03-13-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm p mad that they're trying to commercialize my thing with samwiches. By "my" I mean us, the people, the common man. We've been doing that for years so you shouldn't get a damn dime from us! Also, I do it because then I can control the amount of fritos and how long they're on there to control the amount of crunch I get from it.

So, they've basically the venerable Frito Pie and put it on a samwich. They should feel bad about that. Like, really bad.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-11-2014), Janet (03-13-2014), lisarea (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 PM
California Sober

Yeah, seriously, it's like the Burger King burger with the French fries already on it. It's like how pathetic are we as American people that we can't be trusted to add our own side dishes to our sandwiches? :shakecane:

And you just know that in another century, some genius chef is going to serve sandwiches with chips on the side and call it "deconstructed".

:twilightzone:
Ari (03-12-2014), BrotherMan (03-11-2014), Crumb (03-11-2014), erimir (04-02-2014), Janet (03-13-2014), Kael (03-12-2014), lisarea (03-11-2014), ShottleBop (03-19-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 PM
California Sober

It's catchy and I dig the hell out of it. :songhead:
Janet (03-19-2014), lisarea (03-18-2014), SharonDee (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:19 AM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Mrs. ShottleBop has listened to the first 8 or 9 hours of 24hoursofhappy, so far.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-19-2014), Janet (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM
California Sober

Has she placed all the locations yet? So far I have Union Station, Griffith Park, the LA River, Hollywood Blvd., the 6th Street bridge, and the LA Boxing Club.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

She hasn't said.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (03-19-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

I'm a little bit in love with the Sprint commercial where the little girl with the cartoon bluebirds flitting around her accompanies herself on piano while singing Motley Crue in French. They need to release a full version of that on the You Tubes or something.

For bonus points, my brother and his girlfriend were in town over the weekend and the commercial came on while we were watching the sportsball. He asked her if she knew what the girl was singing, since she is Canadian and speaks a little French, although not fluently. While she was frowning at the TV and sounding through "I'm en route to...something...", I stunned both of them, because lol youngs who have never heard Home Sweet Home before, by rattling off the lyrics.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-01-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

So I mostly have the SF station KFOG on in the car 'cause I'm still driving my Mom's old Dodge with nothing but a radio and a cassette player, and just last year I finally threw out all my old cassettes. The station's okay, better than most, although they are waaaay too attached to the genre I like to call Whiny White Boy (WWB). Seriously, KFOG, I suppose it's educational to find out the sheer magnitude of recording contracts that WWBs get, but do you have to play ALL of the WWB songs in existence?

ANYWAY, I'm not poasting about that, but rather about how, for some damned reason, they started playing "Take It Easy" by The Eagles this morning. This is NOT a "Classic Rock" station, yet they have to play one of the most overplayed pieces of shit that Classic Rock stations everywhere try to torture me with. I snapped that shit off within the first few notes, but somehow the entire song has been playing in my head all fucking day. It's like I'm The Dude begging the cab driver to turn it off, but the cab driver is my own goddamned brain. "I hate the fucking Eagles, man!"

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-02-2014), JoeP (04-02-2014), lisarea (04-02-2014), Watser? (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 PM

Yah, for reals. Free Bird is the better track.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I have an image of what WWB might be, but I would like examples to see if it's really what you mean by the term.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Is Linkin Park WWB? Because I do a SPOT ON impression of white guys that consists entirely of singing the main part of the chorus of this, because that's the only part I know:

In The End - Linkin Park - Lyrics Video - YouTube

HAHAHAHA OMG I'd never actually heard that whole song before! It is somehow even worse than I'd ever imagined!
Thanks, from:
Janet (04-03-2014), Watser? (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 PM

To be honest, I can't think of many examples I know by name, because I usually turn it off when the radio gets to one. And I just now looked over the most recent KFOG Playlist and I couldn't find a single one; they must only play that shit when I have it on. But an example of the type of vocal I'm talking about is REM's Michael Stipe. I would probably be an REM fan if I could get past that whiny fucking voice.

ETA: Meh, that chorus is getting toward the WWB scale of things, but it's by far not the worst offender.

Thanks, from:
Janet (04-03-2014), lisarea (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Caveat: I am just trying to help you, Sock.

Thanks, from:
Janet (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 PM

:abitmuch:

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-02-2014), Janet (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 PM

Oh. I think I see what you're saying now, maybe. We're enemies, aren't we?

I've been sitting here trying to think of what's the most whiny Elvis Cost[r]ello song, but there are just so many to choose from.

How's this?

ETA: Oh, crap crap. Maybe Satellite is whinier. If this one doesn't make you mad enough, try Satellite.

Last edited by lisarea; 04-02-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: The whinier the better, I always say.
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Fishy mokey

The most obvious example of a WWB is Morrissey. I am aware that the Smiths are a band I would normally like a lot but I only occasionally manage to not spend my time actively hating Morrissey when I listen to them.
Janet (04-03-2014), lisarea (04-02-2014), Sock Puppet (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Michael Stipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Morrissey
I'm glad no one's listed Thom Yorke. Or Robert Smith.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
lisarea (04-02-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 AM

Yeah, I'm not a biiiig fan of Elvis Costerrrrrello, but he at least gets a partial pass for decent songwriting. I myself am a big fan of Roy Harper, who I guess could be called a WWB, or a WWOF (whiny white old fart) anyway. But he's more nasally/reedy than whiny, per se.

Satellite? You better believe that's a ragin'.

But I thought we were already musical mortal enemies. Hell, I fired a salvo STRAIGHT AT YOUR HOUSE and scored a direct hit on several of your battleships.

As for Morrissey, at least he tends to be contained in a sort of holding pen where I don't have to hear him much.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (04-03-2014), Watser? (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 AM

Default Beware, he bears more grudges than lonely high court judges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
As for Morrissey, at least he tends to be contained in a sort of holding pen where I don't have to hear him much.
The more you ignore him, the closer he gets. You're wasting your time.

He will be in the bar, with his head on the bar. He is now a central part of your mind's landscape, whether you care or do not. Yeah, he's made up your mind.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (04-03-2014), Sock Puppet (04-03-2014), Watser? (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I really do hate Morrissey, mostly for being a whiner in interviews as well as singing. Yet I find some Smiths songs enjoyable. I guess the guitar might overrule me.

What I had in mind was the thin, whiny white-boy blues singing of Clapton and his ilk. Can't really abide that. There's a Canadian band called &list=PL3BxDeNP_w92oYI3SKvYBfLubDfadAoMq that I like except for the voice of their singer/guitarist. He is a fantastic blues guitarist but he just doesn't have the voice for it. I have to emphasize how really amazing he is on guitar. My first exposure to him was when they opened for Blue Rodeo when I lived in Montreal. They played Sleep Walk and I literally got weak in the knees. When it was done I turned to my best friend and said, "I have seen God and he had Fender written across his side." I so wish he would team up with someone who could really sing. I blame Clapton for making him think that's not necessary.

Sorry for the embed in the middle of a sentence. That was unexpected.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Sock Puppet (04-03-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Fishy mokey

Aaargh, this! This... thing! I bought a record called Great moments in vinyl history and while I enjoyed it a lot the first 3 or 4 times, all of it are really great moments, THIS has invaded my every braincell and is playing in my head all.the.fucking.time.

Billy Bragg Cold and Bitter Tears - YouTube
Janet (05-15-2014), lisarea (05-15-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 PM
California Sober

:ipod:
BrotherMan (06-06-2014), lisarea (06-06-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 AM

Default We fight our parents out in the street to find who's right and who's wrong

Oh, wow.

This story requires so much background I can't even decide what order to tell it in.

So Sunday, Matlock and I are at the bunny shelter and there is this one teenager who likes to listen to the easy listening station, so we're like "OK." And so Benny and the Jets comes on, but it is the incorrect Elton John cover of the song and not the Biz Markie original:

So for the rest of the day, I have that one in my head. Then, I go home and I watch that video and listen to that version periodically throughout the week. Matlock should be able to attest to this, as he's been a victim of some serenading.

So then, today, TLM is around and he is, as usual, listening to annoying tinny music on his stupid phone, when WHAT DO I HEAR? You know what it is! Independently, TLM is listening to Biz Markie's Benny and the Jets, in the same week that, unbeknownst to him, I have been pleasantly haunted by it myself.

He claimed to not know that that is my jam, but when I explained that the full version of my nickname Biz (which my siblings still call me sometimes) is actually Biz Markie because he bit my style, he was all OH DANG.

Anyways, that is the inspiring story of our family earworm. (OMG, maybe Biz Markie will play me!)
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-15-2014), curses (11-15-2014), Janet (11-15-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature