Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 11-26-2017, 02:41 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: DC Nation

If you're going to ape the MCU style of creating a shared cinematic universe - and if you want to make graquillions of dollars doing it - then the movies we have aren't the ones you need. He suggests that he'd go back and rearrange how BvS was done. His ideas weren't bad. In the right hands it could be done and probably done well. I suggest you'd have to go back and rekajigger Man of Steel as well.

I went back and looked and my posted review is a lot mroe positive than I remember. I haven't revisited it since it came out. Unlike a number of the Marvel movies I don't think I've seen it more than once.

I just don't want to like a world where Jonathan Kent says he doesn't know if Clark should save a bus full of children. Or one where Martha (WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME) tells him he doesn't owe any one a damn thing. I'm sure there's a great character study where we empathize with Clark-El on what it means to be good or what doing the right thing means. But one where his most powerful influences don't reinforce doing good because you can? No thanks.

And also, yeah. There was definitely a dissonant tone across all three movies. It wasn't just the difference between WE HATE SUPERMAN or the MAYBE SUPERMAN DOESN'T BELONG HERE protestors. Visually they were different. Maybe the physical costume was different, but the palette was jarringly different - you could see the fiddly bits that might not have shown up in the grimmer looking films.
Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (11-26-2017), The Lone Ranger (11-26-2017), The Man (11-26-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Justice League:

I thought it was OK. It was spectacular nonsense, but the story was more coherent than I anticipated, and the characters were thin but better than I expected. The villain was trash, as was the MacGuffin.

It wasn't good, but it was at least enjoyable.

:dunno:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (11-29-2017), slimshady2357 (11-29-2017), The Lone Ranger (11-29-2017), The Man (11-29-2017)
Old 07-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Tellifying

Ugh. The Darkity Dark DC Universe front and center here, again.

I like the looks of the characters, very comic booky, which is something that DCEU does better than MCU (although that's changing). The storyline of Raven looking for Dick Grayson to help her makes sense and I could get into it. And Changeling/Beast Boy looks pretty cool.

But, it's so dark.

I mean, did Robin straight up kill dudes? I'm hoping that's a nightmare sequence triggered by the rising evil in Raven. And Dove has razor tipped wings. Dove? That damn blue filter is used throughout, fuck Snyder.

Still, maybe it'll be good. Don't know if it will be "subscribe monthly to DC Universe streaming good", but I really really want to watch Young Justice S3

I'mma have to watch it a couple three more times to see if I missed any Easter Eggs, though.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:23 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

At my most optimistic I'd suggest that's just a bad trailer. Except I'm not optimistic about it. It's like they asked "What did everyone love about Teen Titans (and I assume TTGo!)?" That is was bright and funny and fun, right? We're not doing that. We have to do the opposite, right? That's what the youth is into nowadays? The Badness of Breaking? Yeah, okay. Let's go that direction. It's all the dark grittiness of the metal age (90s?) turned up to 11 and then they broke the knob off.

I live in the universe where the so-called good guys kill people. I want my fantasies to strive to do better.
Thanks, from:
Ari (07-19-2018), Ensign Steve (07-19-2018), The Lone Ranger (07-19-2018), The Man (07-20-2018), wei yau (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:45 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Remember that short power rangers video that asked what if the power rangers were dark violent and said fuck, that was in part meant as a parody of grittifying nostalgia... this feels exactly like that but with none of the self awareness or parody. The "fuck batman" line in particular felt like it came from the mind of a 10 year old or corporate suit who thinks saying Fuck is the ultimate in hardcore grittiness.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-19-2018), Ensign Steve (07-19-2018), The Lone Ranger (07-19-2018), The Man (07-20-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Probably because I hate myself I went to see the Aquamans.

If not for falling directly under the DC Nation thrad title, it would fit comfortably in the Not Bad But Not Good Neither title.

Better than BvS and Justice League. Not as cinematically good as Man of Steel - from a technical film making perspective. It doesn't do any serious rewriting or re-imagining of the character as MoS. Stylistically closer to Wonder Woman.

There are good times and cheeseball times, so it all averages out. The only real big complaint I have is the score - and sometimes the foley. The former couldn't pick a tone or style it wanted and the latter was b-movie wrong at times. (Tell me, please, anybody - how does a knife make a ringing sound when removed and inserted into a leather sheath? And not just a little ring like in, say, Lord of the Rings, but almost bell-like clarion singing of Gabriel at the End of Days.)
Thanks, from:
Ari (01-23-2019), Ensign Steve (12-28-2018), slimshady2357 (12-24-2018), The Man (12-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:00 PM
forever in search of dill pickle doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
At my most optimistic I'd suggest that's just a bad trailer. Except I'm not optimistic about it. It's like they asked "What did everyone love about Teen Titans (and I assume TTGo!)?" That is was bright and funny and fun, right? We're not doing that. We have to do the opposite, right? That's what the youth is into nowadays? The Badness of Breaking? Yeah, okay. Let's go that direction. It's all the dark grittiness of the metal age (90s?) turned up to 11 and then they broke the knob off.

I live in the universe where the so-called good guys kill people. I want my fantasies to strive to do better.
I've been sick for the last three days so I binged this series. I went into it not knowing anything about it and being surprised to even see the show pop up on Netflix.

It was OK. It was sort of like DC tries to make a Daredevil-like show in terms of gritty-meaty-flesh-pounding darkness.

Fantastic performances from Anna Diop (Koriand'r), Alan Ritchson (Hank Hall) and Curran Walters (Jason Todd- Robin2).
Decent performances from Brenton Thwaites (Dick Grayson), Ryan Potter(Gar -Beast Boy)
Not a great job from Teagan Croft (Rachel Roth), but she's young and seemed to be getting better throughout the show.

It kept me interested and I'll definitely watch season 2 whenever it comes out.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Does Starfire have a sibling named Sillaan Tr'o?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:10 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

She does have a sister. Not named after an herb nor spice.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:46 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

SHAZAM! (aka DC's Captain Marvel)

I don't know what movie other people are seeing. Ninety-some percent on both critic and viewer scores? Savior of the DCU?

I didn't hate it so it wasn't terrible. Not any worser than the Aquamans. Which still puts it worlds better than BvS and Justice League. But right now it still looks like whatever WBDC is trying to do has to rest on Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot's efforts. Which, I suppose is okay.

The goodish parts are that it is indeed a lot more fun. Levi and the cast have a great time and do a p good job. The story works as an updated retelling of Billy Batson, the boy called by a wizard to become an adult shaped superhero, with the usual Flying Brick powers, plus a few. Decidedly missing from the normal Shazam! powerset is the Wisdom of Solomon. But then, the powers are usually depicted as hit or miss in most media anyhoo.

What sets me off though is the (new?) trope of the Selfishly Superpowered. You discover you have beyond mortal abilities and what's the first thing you do? Property destruction, grift, petty theft and other crimes. Before you realize your true calling and do the good thing for the good reasons. And even that's usually only after something personal makes you pay attention to it.

But also also, in this retelling Billy is an orphan who has been toted from foster to foster and would likely have a non-traditional morality. So, okay. Whatever.

For anyone who hasn't been eating up trailers and other what-all leading up to the release, like me, there are some neat things that are definitely not in the trailers that happen. And they are really good. Not price of admission good, but still really good.

I did catch a MovieBob pre-talk wherein he delved into the ad-hoc "lore" of the DC's Captain Marvel and I appreciated a little more of the movie from it.

And I just figured out something that was bugging me. But it's a spoiler so I can't even mention it in polite company.

Thanks, from:
Ari (04-08-2019), The Lone Ranger (04-08-2019), The Man (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I think the spoilered portion is intended to be addressed in the inevitable sequel.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:10 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

:unnod:
Old 04-08-2019, 03:16 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Yeah, I thought Shazam was okay, but not great or anything. An enjoyable popcorn movie, but nothing more.

I was kind of bugged by him displaying none of the "Wisdom of Solomon," but in fairness, that's pretty-much how he's currently portrayed in the comics.

Back when he was still "Captain Marvel," it was made explicitly clear that Billy Batson and Captain Marvel were completely different people, and that they switched places when one of them said the word "Shazam." As such, Captain Marvel really did act like an adult, with the maturity and wisdom you'd expect of him -- because he was an adult.

Also, that Billy Batson really was "pure of heart" was the entire point of his character. Because he believed with all his heart that power should only be used to help/protect others is precisely why he was chosen by the wizard Shazam.

When the character was revamped, they completely changed Billy Batson's personality -- to the point that he's almost exactly the opposite of how he had been portrayed previously. I suppose that this is supposed to represent a more "mature" and "realistic" (i.e. darker) interpretation of the character.

[Personally, I hate the notion that "mature" and "realistic" = "darker" and "cynical," and that part of "growing up" is learning that "idealism is for kids." But that's a different discussion.]

In more recent portrayals of the character, Billy Batson and "Shazam" are clearly not separate people; rather, Billy's body is transformed into that of an adult with superpowers when he says "Shazam." Since "Wisdom of Solomon" is supposed to be part of his powerset, it bugs me that Shazam generally acts like ... well ... a teenager stuck in an adult's body.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (04-08-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-08-2019), The Man (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Coffin Creep

Maybe in this continuity, he recieved the Wisdom of SOLZHENITSOF? :chin:
BrotherMan (04-09-2019), JoeP (04-08-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-08-2019), The Lone Ranger (04-09-2019), The Man (04-08-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 05:31 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

I think I'm on board for this.

Thanks, from:
slimshady2357 (10-02-2019), The Man (10-02-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 09:01 PM
angry white woman

What's the deal with The Joker? I don't venture on to the web or tv but rarely and there seems to be a stir.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 PM

Oh god, let’s see, the short of it.

This isn’t really a movie about the Joker. The creator has even said as much, that he’s using the Joker franchise to push a ‘real movie’ instead of a comic book movie. So if the comics were real life, this film would be one of those “based on true events” where the true event is that there was once a guy named the Joker.

Oh and the same dude both created the comedy “The Hangover” and has declared comedy dead because PC SJW blah blah blah, almost literally ‘society doesn’t think I’m funny anymore, I blame society.’

So speaking of Incels, that’s in part what this movie is about. Spoilers though I haven’t and am not going to see it, the Joker is basically a beta male who gets picked on by alpha males who then takes revenge murdering them before being locked up in prison.

No one has said, nor do I think anyone wants to say, which one of the famous iterations of the joker this is, so it’s most likely none of them and a Joker we will never see again.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-05-2019), The Man (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 09:34 PM
angry white woman

well now I just want to know who it's based on. Maybe it's Baretta.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Michael Moore likes it. A lot.

Michael Moore's facebook post

from the linkOn Wednesday night I attended the New York Film Festival and witnessed a cinematic masterpiece, the film that last month won the top prize as the Best Film of the Venice International Film Festival. It’s called “Joker” — and all we Americans have heard about this movie is that we should fear it and stay away from it. We’ve been told it’s violent and sick and morally corrupt — an incitement and celebration of murder. We’ve been told that police will be at every screening this weekend in case of “trouble.” Our country is in deep despair, our constitution is in shreds, a rogue maniac from Queens has access to the nuclear codes — but for some reason, it’s a movie we should be afraid of.
I would suggest the opposite: The greater danger to society may be if you DON’T go see this movie. Because the story it tells and the issues it raises are so profound, so necessary, that if you look away from the genius of this work of art, you will miss the gift of the mirror it is offering us.
[...]
When the Joker decides he can no longer take it — yes, you will feel awful. Not because of the (minimal) blood on the screen, but because deep down, you were cheering him on - and if you’re honest when that happens, you will thank this movie for connecting you to a new desire — not to run to the nearest exit to save your own ass but rather to stand and fight and focus your attention on the nonviolent power you hold in your hands every single day. Thank you Joaquin Phoenix, Todd Phillips, Warner Bros. and all who made this important movie for this important time. I loved this film’s multiple homages to Taxi Driver, Network, The French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon. How long has it been since we’ve seen a movie aspire to the level of Stanley Kubrick? Go see this film. Take your teens. Take your resolve.

The Man (10-06-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 03:31 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Oh god, let’s see, the short of it.

This isn’t really a movie about the Joker. The creator has even said as much, that he’s using the Joker franchise to push a ‘real movie’ instead of a comic book movie. So if the comics were real life, this film would be one of those “based on true events” where the true event is that there was once a guy named the Joker.

Oh and the same dude both created the comedy “The Hangover” and has declared comedy dead because PC SJW blah blah blah, almost literally ‘society doesn’t think I’m funny anymore, I blame society.’

So speaking of Incels, that’s in part what this movie is about. Spoilers though I haven’t and am not going to see it, the Joker is basically a beta male who gets picked on by alpha males who then takes revenge murdering them before being locked up in prison.

No one has said, nor do I think anyone wants to say, which one of the famous iterations of the joker this is, so it’s most likely none of them and a Joker we will never see again.
Just a random thought, I wonder if other movies have ‘lost their funniness’ like Mrs. Doubtfire or Airplane! Or blazing saddles. I wonder if they could ever be remade
Old 10-07-2019, 08:23 PM

It really depends on what people mean by ‘like blazing saddles or airplane’. Many attempted comedians look at Blazing saddle, hear a funny racial based joke and think, “When *I* made a racial based joke everyone booed, ...it’s the times man.” or “They said the n-word, why can’t I say the n-word” ignoring that “I” part. Sure the times have changed but also they’re not Mel Brooks, and if they had put the same amount of time and effort into it as Mel Brooks then I would hope they would understand comedy better.

Often alleged comedians don’t realize there’s a massive amount of prep work that goes into a successful racial joke, instead thinking they just say whatever seems shocking and people laugh. To do racial jokes well often requires twice as much work as any other joke but with the same payoff, and that means it comes down to the reason for doing the joke in the first place. Is it to make some social commentary or just to get a laugh. Does the comedian want to point out a difference in our society in a funny way that makes people think, or do they want to feel connected by pointing and laughing at someone else. In Airplane there’s a bit where two cool cats are speaking jive. It’s funny cause it sounds funny but also because it’s being represented in a normal manner, Jive is treated like another language like any other and the guys speaking it are the crisp and tailored representation of what a citizen of Jive might look like. I’m also not saying Brooks is perfect and not everything has aged well, but compare that to the Transformers African-american ebonics speaking robots who are portrayed as dumb and inbred with enlarge facial features. (Which is another thing, I don’t think “we can’t do that anymore” is really true, the highly grossing transformers had racist jokes in them, a popular puppet comedian has a stereotypical arab suicide bomber puppet, etc.)

In technical terms we would need a producer/director with a similar style. Mel Brooks comedies are built around a rapid fire set of one liners and word play on a whole variety of topics, that way if one doesn’t land another isn’t too far behind. It’s also why many still find them funny today, miss a joke and another one that you get won’t be far behind. Like in Airplane, I doubt many teenagers watching today understand the scene with the Hari Krishna’s at the airport and that joke probably doesn’t land as much, but it’s interspersed with more classic, “And that’s when I knew I had a drinking problem *poors glass on shirt*” ones that everyone gets. I bet if different generations were asked to count the total jokes in Airplane or Blazing Saddles they would come up with different numbers.

So sure, if we had a comedian that was willing to put the work in I’m sure we could have subversive comedies that jab at sensitive issues in meaningful ways, but those are financially risky and since finance governs everything, we really can’t have a film like Blazing Saddles because executives would both see it as too big of a risk and micromanage it into the ground, proving to themselves it wasn’t worth the risk, better go back to ‘hey that robot has balls’ jokes.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-08-2019), Ensign Steve (10-07-2019), JoeP (10-08-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-07-2019), slimshady2357 (10-08-2019), Sock Puppet (10-07-2019), The Lone Ranger (10-07-2019), The Man (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Progress is also a thing that happens over time. Take Three's Company. For its time it was really quite progressive. Now it's basically a half hour of straight sexual assault jokes delivered by some of the greatest physical comedians to ever hit the screen. It was gone off the air before most parts of the USA made it illegal for a man to rape his wife.

And remember when Tone Loc made date rape hilarious? He was a black musician helping move hip hop closer to the mainstream.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-07-2019), BrotherMan (10-08-2019), slimshady2357 (10-08-2019), specious_reasons (10-08-2019), The Man (10-08-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:17 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Progress is also a thing that happens over time. Take Three's Company.
Oh yeah and I remember that show bosom buddies with Tom Hanks and that other guy who ended up on Star Search, they dressed up as women to get into an apartment and then spent their days passing off pamprin to one another while stuffing their bras with what looked like egg crate cushions. That show was fucking hilarious.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:51 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

JD and I have been watching the fuck out of the Harley Quinn cartoon on DC Universe.

There have been two seasons and it’s just delightful.

Harley Quinn - Official Full Redband Trailer | Season 1 - YouTube

Here’s the trailer for season 1.
Ensign Steve (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 08:10 AM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Here is a group shot of Harley and her crew.

Poison Ivy, Harley, Dr Psycho whose nemesis is his sexist epithets, Clayface whose real superpower is overacting, KingShark who is great at IT and hacking.

Frank is Ivy's hench. He is all sorts of awesome.

Kiteman is a love interest of Poison Ivy and yes he is lame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BFF96C2A-49F8-4B1C-872E-13D587EFEDC3.jpeg (263.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 1F1B682E-C9BC-4596-BE7C-95A112D7CCA7.jpeg (253.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg 579C440B-85EF-4737-9375-77E124731E68.jpeg (58.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg HarleyQuinn.jpg (878.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by beyelzu; 07-28-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature