Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 01-22-2020, 08:33 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Default The Expanse

The Expanse is a series that was originally commissioned by the Sy-Fy channel

It is now showing on Amazon Prime video.

I am 6 episodes in and I am hooked.

The effects are quite amazing, and the Physics are very close to accurate, or at least not distractedly bad.

I think that it is worth the time investment to check it out. It is even worth paying for, IMHO.

The setting is two centuries in the future, when Earth has colonized Mars, which has rapidly become an independent force to be reckoned with, and the colonies of miners(Belters) in the Asteroid belt are developing their own collective identity.

There is not a lot of set-up, or introductory story telling. You are dropped right smack-dab into the middle of an unfolding story, and you have to figure it out as it goes along, right alongside the characters.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-23-2020), JoeP (01-23-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (01-22-2020), Limoncello (02-11-2021), lisarea (01-22-2020), slimshady2357 (01-23-2020), Stormlight (01-31-2020), The Man (01-22-2020), viscousmemories (11-06-2023)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:42 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Default Re: The Expanse

One of my faves. This summer's beach reading is gonna be the books through Cibola Burn. :yup:

Thanks, from:
Crumb (01-23-2020), Qingdai (01-24-2020), The Man (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 PM
California Sober

There is so much I love about the Expanse, but I can't watch it anymore because the one thing I hate about it is so much worse.

Season 1 was great!
Amos is my favorite in any season.

What I cannot cope with: Important decisions being decided by whoever can shout down the other people the loudest, and whoever is the most petulant is the one who gets his way. You all know who I am talking about.

Fuck that guy and fuck this show.
Ari (02-10-2021), BrotherMan (01-23-2020), Crumb (01-23-2020), JoeP (01-23-2020), Qingdai (01-24-2020), Stormlight (01-31-2020), viscousmemories (11-06-2023)
Old 01-26-2020, 05:49 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Well, so far I'm still following. I like the allusions to some of the earlier authors' works, like Bear's "Legacy", and Clarrke's "Rama". And of course Cervante's "Quixote", along with a bit of Heinlein and Dick.

I was very busy with work and family back the Corey published the books, so the series was my first exposure to the story.

And people are constantly getting killed by other people's fucked-up decision making. That's fucking Life in a nutshell. Get over it.
Hopefully, the good guys make better decisions that get fewer people killed, and result in making shit better for the folks that don't get killed.
If you don't like seeing that on TV, stick with the Hallmark Channel.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 PM
California Sober

"good guys" :rolleyes:
Old 01-27-2020, 12:49 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

The relationship among the main crew is much better in the books. I have enjoyed the first few seasons of the show, but them being at each other all the time just to add some drama was always off putting.
Ari (02-10-2021), Ensign Steve (01-27-2020), Stormlight (01-31-2020), The Man (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
"good guys" :rolleyes:
Yup. That's the good thing about fiction. We can have good guys. We can have good guys who really turn out to be good guys. We can have bad guys that turn out to be good guys. And, of course the good guy who really was the bad guy all along.

Or, we can see the thing from Campbell's perspective, Everybody is the hero of their own story.

I like the story where the noisy asshole actually gets his way, only to find that it was really not what he had in mind, just a moment to late.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 PM
Rambling Old Fart

It occurs to me that I may have come across a bit harshly.
If I gave offense, I apologize. I meant none.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:45 PM
Tellifying

I don't want to start a new thread. I have started new threads recently and I don't like the feeling.

Season 5 of The Expanse has just started and I'm once more looking forward to watching it. I have yet to read the books, though I know that they are better. I don't know what's happened to me, I just can't read anymore.

(I actually do know what's happened to me, I just don't wanna talk about it)

I thoroughly enjoy the show, it is smart, well written, wonderfully executed and the characters are awesome. My absolute favorite is Camina Drummer. She is just six different ways of amazing and were I in that universe I'd serve on her crew in a heartbeat (granted, I'll likely be dead in a heartbeat, too.)

The main crew is pretty alright, I probably like Amos and Naomi the most. Alex and Holden are both a little too arrogant and full of themselves for me to relate with them. It feels like this season is going to be mostly system politics and war, though I would not be surprised at a turn in the season that relates back to proto-molecule, the Builders and the Ring-Gates.

So, yeah, that's what I'm watching right now
Old 12-21-2020, 08:52 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I am watching it too. Just started season 3 though. I am taking advantage of my free month of Prime that I grabbed for holiday shipping. I have read the first 3 books and recommend them as well. Sorry you are not reading, but I won't ask you to talk about it.

I have heard that some folks don't think season 4 is as good, but that 5 is back on track. I plan on watching it all regardless at this point.
Kyuss Apollo (12-22-2020), wei yau (12-21-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 01:38 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Just watched Wes Chatham (Amos)'s post S5 episodes 1-3 after show videos on YouTube with co-author Ty Franck + others. Interesting to get inside perspectives but biggest takeaway was that Chatham has been hoping since the beginning that the series would last long enough to get to Book 5 because it's his favorite book.

I too haven't haven't read the books yet even though I fully planned to have by now. Reason why is my job has become so all encompassing of my time that I haven't dared take up anything that will distract me from that task, like reading these books for fun. Almost no time for fun. Watching episode drops of The Mandalorian and The Expanse and whatever show The Kid and I are watching together (we are almost finished with everything Steven Universe atm) are pretty much the extent of my social life. Selling my house and moving last summer was a huge time suck too, but my life has pretty much just turned into working and sleeping and working.

Thanks, from:
wei yau (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Rambling Old Fart

I've been too busy to pick up season 5, yet, but hopefully, I can get to it soon.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:09 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Just saw S1:E1 last night. I shall continue to watch. :weirdtv:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Crumb (12-23-2020), JoeP (12-23-2020), Kyuss Apollo (12-23-2020), SharonDee (12-23-2020), wei yau (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:03 AM
lagomorph lover

I've adored Chrisjen Avasarala from the moment she showed she wasn't beholden to empathy or morality, and I find her to be the most fascinating character. Although I will admit that I wish she'd get more screen time just so I could ogle her outfits. The costume designer hits it out the park every time.

Amos has grown on me for some of the same reasons, and I'm glad it looks like we will get a bit more of his backstory in season 5.
Ari (02-10-2021), JoeP (12-23-2020), Kyuss Apollo (12-23-2020), LarsMac (12-29-2020), SharonDee (12-23-2020), wei yau (12-30-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:33 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Yeah, I like Avasarala in the books and on the show. I guess it is just nice to see a politician who wants to cut through the bullshit and get stuff done, but also knows how to work the system.
Kyuss Apollo (12-24-2020), One for Sorrow (12-23-2020), SharonDee (12-23-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 09:50 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Amos reminds me a a buddy of mine. After we got out of the Navy, we bummed around a while.
He never really has a personal agenda. Just does what seems like the thing that needs done at the moment.

I like the Gunny (Draper), too. She and Amos are kindred spirits, I think.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:45 PM
Tellifying

Avoiding a lot of the Expanse corners of the internet as I've yet to watch the latest episode.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:59 PM
Rambling Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei yau View Post
Avoiding a lot of the Expanse corners of the internet as I've yet to watch the latest episode.
Well, the latest "latest episode" will release today.
It should be interesting.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:37 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Cool. I'm ready to start season 5 tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:02 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

I have finally started watching the expanse and enjoy it. The realer physics are fun but it’s also an overall reminder that most space epics are just naval and ww2 tales reskinned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
What I cannot cope with: Important decisions being decided by whoever can shout down the other people the loudest, and whoever is the most petulant is the one who gets his way.
This has been one of my biggest problems with it, everyone is so damn hot headed and no one besides the amazing UN Secretary General seems to have any restraint. I do not buy for a moment that earth and mars could have maintained peace for as long as they have with how easy these people nuke things.

I have used future-sight (wikipedia) at least once to see how long I would need to tolerate some of these assholes, turns out, quite sometime.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (02-10-2021), Crumb (02-11-2021), Ensign Steve (02-18-2021), Sock Puppet (02-12-2021), wei yau (02-11-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 11:59 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I have used future-sight (wikipedia) at least once to see how long I would need to tolerate some of these assholes, turns out, quite sometime.
I am so glad other people do this too :yup: If there is some awful plodding plotline or super annoying character increases in profile I will spoil a lot to see if it is worth pulling the plug or not. I gave up on Better Call Saul after Season 2's extended professional responsibility subplot.

I think I finished Season 1 of the Expanse a long time ago and forgot to go back to Season 2 after it became available. I only remember being annoyed by the one guy who was basically the same as the Chief on Battlestar Galactica. I should go back.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-11-2021), Ensign Steve (02-18-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 03:15 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Man, I loved Better Call Saul.
beyelzu (02-11-2021), Ensign Steve (02-18-2021), Sock Puppet (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 04:57 PM
Tellifying

Overall, very happy with this season of The Expanse. I did not mind the more personal focus, as some have criticized. I'm okay with seeing these people having lives outside of the big alien plot. But, to be honest, their personal lives were majorly affected by the big alien plot.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:16 PM
Rambling Old Fart

I've enjoyed watching the latest season. Just for shits and giggles, I went back to re-watch season 1. There are some early conversations that are more meaningful, with the foresight from having watched the later seasons.

Kinda bummed about losing Alex, but I guess Anvar screwed the pooch, there, in a manner of speaking.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-11-2021), SharonDee (02-14-2021), wei yau (02-12-2021)
Old 11-06-2023, 01:17 AM
Admin

I missed this show (and thread) but my brother recommended it last Saturday so I binged the entire thing this past week. Yes, I needed some away time from reality. Anyway I liked it a lot. I came to genuinely care about some of the characters (mostly Naomi and Camina) and I didn't think there was a boring episode. I would like more of it.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (11-06-2023), JoeP (11-06-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature