Old 10-21-2017, 02:08 AM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Return to Gender 101

TW: sexual assault

The Night the Men Told Me About the Times They’d Been Raped | Wonkette

One of the most powerful pieces of writing I've read in awhile.

Also, I don't think anyone posted this here yet, did they?

The woman behind ‘Me Too’ knew the power of the phrase when she created it - 10 years ago - The Washington Post

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-21-2017), erimir (10-21-2017), JoeP (10-21-2017), Pan Narrans (10-21-2017), Stormlight (10-23-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Solipsist

Linked:

A majority of Americans now say that sexual harassment is a ‘serious problem’ - The Washington Post

But this:

Quote:
Concern about sexual harassment is yet another issue where partisans are growing farther apart. While 79 percent of Democrats and 66 percent of independents say harassment is a serious problem — both rising over 20 points in the last six years — this number falls to 42 percent among Republicans, little changed over that same period.
Do they want to be seen as inhuman bastards?

... I suppose we already know the answer is yes. The evidence suggests they do.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (10-23-2017), The Man (10-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:46 PM

TW: sexual harassment/assault (again)

Sexual Predators Are Everywhere Too Much Power Resides - Lawyers, Guns & Money

Loomis discusses how hierarchical authority can enable sexual predators, with specific references to new allegations against a SEIU leader and some of Loomis’ own personal experiences. The comments (as is often, though not always, the case with LGM) are well worth reading as well, and I’m not merely saying this because I wrote several of them.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (10-22-2017), Stormlight (10-23-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

LOL

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-25-2017), Stormlight (10-25-2017), The Man (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Creeping Sharia

Thanks, from:
Ari (10-25-2017), JoeP (10-24-2017), lisarea (10-24-2017), Stormlight (10-25-2017), The Man (10-24-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:46 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

It's amusing when the Pastor tries to use science to excuse being an asshole. Guess God just doesn't get you the excuses these days.

In a way he's right, serotonin, a chemical neurotransmitter is released when you see naked women... it's also release when you see an apple, or a hedgehog, given that your vision system wouldn't work without serotonin.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-25-2017), Stormlight (10-25-2017), The Man (10-25-2017), Zehava (10-25-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:18 AM

Five women accuse journalist and 'Game Change' co-author Mark Halperin of sexual harassment - Oct. 25, 2017

The only thing I find surprising about this story is that the same exact story hasn't already come out about Chris Cillizza. Between his creeeeeeeeepy treatment of Megyn Kelly and Ivanka Trump and his ridiculous coverage of Clinton, that dude has some flagrant issues with women. I consider it a matter not of if there are harassment stories about him but when they will come out. It doesn't surprise me much in Halperin's case, either, though.

It does seem like we've reached a turning point. I think a lot more of these stories are going to come out.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:09 PM

Wait, You Don’t Want Poppy Bush to Grab Your Ass from His Wheelchair? WHY EVER NOT? | Wonkette

In this particular case, I don't think I can place all the blame on 41. There's little sign that he engaged in this kind of thing until recently - it seems like it's a case of mental deterioration, which frequently erodes people's impulses, sense of right and wrong, or something else. Part of the blame has to be placed on his handlers for allowing this crap to continue as long as it did.

Also, evidently something like 200 women have now accused director James Toback of various forms of sexual misconduct up to and including rape since the publication of a Los Angeles Times exposé. To be honest, I had never even heard of him before these stories came out and couldn't have named a single film he'd made. Here's a story from Variety that includes the 200 figure.

A lot of this looks like fallout from Weinstein, but it probably started with the Ailes/O'Reilly/etc. stories last year. With that in mind (plus the new revelations about O'Reilly, which have gotten him dropped from his book contract), some former Fox News employees have spoken out. Regardless of what you think of their overall politics, these interviews are worth watching.

Thanks, from:
Ari (10-28-2017), lisarea (10-28-2017), slimshady2357 (10-28-2017), Stormlight (11-07-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 01:02 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

You know, there is an impulse to just say "James Toback? Who?" as a sort of belittlement of him. I didn't know who he was, and I haven't seen any of his movies and I haven't heard of any but Bugsy (which to be fair did get ten Oscar nominations) and maybe The Gambler. And maybe he had some behind the scenes power that doesn't show up in his filmography.

At the same time, if he's not even that big of a name and he still was able to get away with harassing and assaulting that sheer number of women... Imagine what he could've done had he been a bigger name. You have to figure even more are speaking out in part because he's not a bigger name. And at the same time, there could be men out there who are much more powerful than Toback and still getting away with it.

I was also just thinking about how the sexual harassment stuff about Bill O'Reilly really came out years ago, in 2004. And one of the allegations had been that O'Reilly had threatened her saying that Ailes would destroy her career if she didn't back off. People knew about it for over a decade before any real consequences came to either of them. I remember late night shows mocking his loofa talk at the time of that lawsuit.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-10-2017), lisarea (10-28-2017), slimshady2357 (10-28-2017), Stormlight (11-07-2017), The Man (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 01:24 AM

I think #metoo really encapsulates this movement because it's really all about numbers and having enough mass behind you to start the avalanche and keep it going. In so many cases these allegations have been known about for years, but as individual cases the victims couldn't get anything done, but as the roiling mass of energy it's become people finally take notice.

Like Conde Naste just recently announced they are cutting ties with fashion photographer Uncle Terry. Now with a nickname like "Uncle Terry" you better believe it's been known for years that he sexually assaults his models, and there are plenty of stories, but his "art" (omg he's a shitty photographer that idiots like to call edgy, but is basically *I don't give a shit hard flash with disposable camera*) and his connections have kept him with a flow of models to harass. It's even known that his assistant vets, grooms and helps keep the models quiet. Yet it's only now that large corporations are interested in parting ways with him, and we'll see how long it lasts.

Uncle Terry is a great example of it being about who you know in fashion and hollywood, and many women were right in taking them seriously about being able to destroy their careers. To get away with this, they have to be on reasonable terms with enough higher ups that they certainly have sway to make sure some random woman never works again.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-10-2017), lisarea (10-28-2017), slimshady2357 (10-28-2017), Stormlight (11-07-2017), The Man (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 01:28 AM

This circles back to my observations above about hierarchical authority, I think. It says a lot of terrifying things that someone as obscure to the public as Toback was able to get away in Hollywood as a serial sex predator that prolific for that long. The two hundred figure would’ve been shocking to me even if he were a household name like Scorsese or Tarantino (to be clear, I’m selecting these two purely on their name recognition; it would actually be quite shocking to me if someone like Tarantino was a sex predator, purely based on the explicit loathing of rape that films like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill demonstrate). For someone I’d never heard of, it’s staggering.

Hierarchy has a number of weaknesses that specifically enable sex predation. I’ll copy from a comment I made at BJ a couple days ago that basically summarises my arguments from the LGM comments, as well as a couple of insightful observations other commenters made (for those who didn’t actually go read them yet, I still recommend doing so, because I elaborated on a number of specifics that I didn’t bother repeating here). This was actually about Halperin rather than Toback, but the point applies across-the-board.

Quote:
I’ve long suspected this type of thing has long been rampant amongst hierarchical organisations. You can compare it to the Catholic Church and various athletic programs in schools. Far too often, when an individual in the hierarchy is guilty of some kind of misconduct, the rest of the organisation makes moves to cover up the misconduct rather than to punish the abuser.

It’s not merely the hierarchy, which gives abusers a way to hide their misconduct and to punish those who try to come after them. There’s also the fact that most people in the institutions are hoping that they’ll eventually gain the same kind of power, so it benefits them not to speak up when they see or are victims of wrongdoing.

Thirdly, there’s also the fact that most of the people involved in these institutions are heavily invested emotionally in said institutions, to the point where if a case of wrongdoing comes out, they may take it as a personal attack. In short, they’ll become defensive and unwilling to evaluate evidence rationally.

Beyond all that, there’s also the simple case that institutions themselves often, once they have become established enough, devote a specific part of their focus to preserving their existence, regardless of their political leanings or mission statement. Thus, the people staffing the institution see it as imperative to protect the institution, because they’ve developed such an identification with it that they see it as necessary for it to survive regardless of the consequences this has on actual human beings.

And there’s a final problem: society itself often views these organisations as benevolent. The Catholic Church is a big one, obviously. Its public image certainly took a major hit after the abuse scandal became public, so it might be difficult to remember how unassailable its image was in some quarters. Police organisations and the military are generally given borderline worshipful reverence in many quarters, including a lot of popular culture. (To its credit, some parts of the military do seem to have been undergoing sincere efforts to deal with their sexual assault problem, but there’s a long way to go still.) Football is almost a religion in this country. And so on.

This seems to hold true across all political leanings, to be clear, hence Weinstein, Mark Ames, and various other creeps and abusers who are ostensible liberals or leftists. (Erik Loomis posted a piece on [LGM] a few days ago about an SEIU leader who has been credibly accused of sexual misconduct by, IIRC, dozens of women, and I recommend going and finding it.) I think the right in this country is overall worse about it, because the right tends to be comprised of authoritarian followers, while the left is overall pretty hostile to authoritarianism, and authoritarianism is particularly conducive to this kind of abuse. But “ensure only left-leaning people get placed into positions of authority” clearly isn’t a solution to this, and “ensure only women get placed into positions of authority” isn’t a solution, either, because some women are abusers (not as many as men, but they still exist) and others are perfectly willing to be apologists for male abusers. The problem seems to me to be an intrinsic weakness in hierarchical authority itself.

To be clear, I’m saying this as a person who’s considered themselves a libertarian soc!alist bordering on anarchist for probably around twelve years now, so I’ve been predisposed to distrust hierarchical authority for a long time. But one of the things that’s reinforced my distrust is how frequently I’ve seen hierarchical authority cover up for sexual abusers and even use its resources to attack people who try to bring down said abusers. You can compare this to the way police officers tend to lock ranks when one of them is abused of misconduct – it’s representative of the same tribalistic impulses in human nature. The simple problem is that hierarchical authority is particularly prone to abuse, because we’re humans.

I don’t think we’ll ever be rid of hierarchical authority completely. If you’ve read Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Dispossessed, which is probably the most realistic fictional depiction of anarchy that will ever be written, you’ll know that it becomes apparent midway through the novel that Anarres still has a de facto government that simply doesn’t call itself a government. And there are necessary hierarchies in society, most of which seem to be based on knowledge, expertise, and experience: parent/child, teacher/student, and so on. What we can do, though, is maintain suspicion of hierarchical authority wherever it exists.
Beyond this, I will simply add regarding Halperin that it’s particularly telling that dominant narratives about both 2008 and 2016, the first presidential elections where a woman was a serious contender for the presidency, were cowritten by a serial sex predator. I’m not even sure I can elucidate all the unpleasant things this implies about our journalism culture.

ETA: Speaking of Halperin, CNN now has four more accusers and I’m sure we’ll have dozens more before long.

Thanks, from:
Ari (10-28-2017), beyelzu (10-29-2017), JoeP (10-28-2017), mickthinks (10-28-2017), Stormlight (11-07-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 AM

At this point I'm kinda like holding my breath to see whether an avalanche of accusations will come out about various people I think are assholes and/or creepers and/or I've seen behave in some otherwise boundary violating way.

Like Cillizza, who seems to have a problem with women and has made gross comments about Ivanka and has an obsession with Hillary.

Or, to be honest, Joe Biden, who I like, but I cringe whenever I see those clips of him touching women in weird ways. True, he limits it to the shoulders mostly, but I'm a little surprised he hasn't been accused of worse. Maybe he's just a weird shoulder-and-arm toucher, but... eeeeh

Or [insert basically any man still standing at Fox News except for Shep Smith, who is gay, but I guess could still be sexually harassing people except he might be harassing men instead of women but at any rate seems like much less of an asshole than most of the men at Fox]
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-30-2017), mickthinks (10-28-2017), slimshady2357 (10-28-2017), The Man (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
The problem seems to me to be an intrinsic weakness in hierarchical authority itself.
lol Patriarchy.
Stormlight (11-07-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:51 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Wait, You Don’t Want Poppy Bush to Grab Your Ass from His Wheelchair? WHY EVER NOT? | Wonkette

In this particular case, I don't think I can place all the blame on 41. There's little sign that he engaged in this kind of thing until recently - it seems like it's a case of mental deterioration, which frequently erodes people's impulses, sense of right and wrong, or something else. Part of the blame has to be placed on his handlers for allowing this crap to continue as long as it did.
I dislike sounding like I'm rationalizing away his behavior, but I am inclined to agree with you. I was thinking something similar.

It does seem to be a recently acquired habit. I suppose he could have been very good at keeping any sexual aggressions well hidden in the past, and now he's not caring enough to hide it.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-28-2017), lisarea (10-28-2017), The Man (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:01 PM

Oh yeah, I remembered who another guy I was thinking about... Matt Taibbi, whose book with Mark Ames from years ago portrayed them as misogynists who routinely sexually harassed the women who worked for them and portrayed Ames as pressuring a woman into an abortion by suggesting the possibility of murder. Lovely. This was known, of course, since it's from an old book.

But today Taibbi posted on Facebook that it was, of course, satire, despite the book being presented as non-fiction. So I guess it was just funny to him back then.

But I guess we'll see whether any of the American women mentioned in the book will come forward to corroborate his current version of events or the book version. I doubt any Russian women would, unless they are now living in America or possibly another Anglophone country (because they might not be aware otherwise).

Twenty years ago, in Moscow, Matt Taibbi was a misogynist asshole - and possibly worse | Bleader
Thanks, from:
The Man (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
I dislike sounding like I'm rationalizing away his behavior, but I am inclined to agree with you.
To add to the agrees. So far all the women have come forward with exactly the same story, not some variation on a predatory behavior but literally the same thing. Until that changes I'm leaning heavily towards it being senility issues. Part of the blame falls on his handlers for not stopping or fixing this as I'm sure they knew.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-29-2017), The Man (10-28-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Solipsist

So what you're saying is his handlers should have handled him sooner to stop him handling others.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-29-2017), The Man (10-29-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

At first I was all Tee Hee dat funnie, then I dug into the thread and now I’m all “Oh.” :ashamed:

Thanks, from:
JoeP (11-03-2017), The Man (11-03-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

And Dad steps in:

Thanks, from:
The Man (11-05-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:51 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

He seems nice.

Harvey Weinstein’s Army of Spies | The New Yorker

Thanks, from:
But (11-07-2017), JoeP (11-07-2017), The Man (11-07-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Fishy mokey

That's very antisemitic of you.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:44 AM

This is one of the most beautiful things I've seen on the Internet in a long time.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-10-2017), BrotherMan (11-15-2017), Crumb (11-15-2017), JoeP (11-15-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-15-2017), lisarea (11-15-2017), Nullifidian (11-19-2017), Pan Narrans (11-15-2017), slimshady2357 (11-15-2017), Sock Puppet (11-15-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 04:33 PM

The replies are also well worth reading.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (12-09-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (11-19-2017), Nullifidian (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Light reading for the shotter thread:

Maud Dromgoole on Twitter: "Man in pub who has been mansplaining sexual harassment to me. Tells me me necklace gives me a certain Je ne sais quoi
Him:Do you know what… https://t.co/0fuZUx3MfG"

Thanks, from:
Ari (11-22-2017), Kael (11-20-2017), Nullifidian (11-20-2017), Pan Narrans (11-20-2017), The Man (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Double.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law