Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 11-17-2019, 09:09 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Default Re: Ultimate Cagefight MMXIX, Democratic Edition

Here's Matt Taibbi on Deval Patrick's entry into the 2020 Democratic Primary:
Deval Patrick’s Candidacy Is Another Chapter in the Democrats’ 2020 Clown Car Disaster: The entrance of the former Massachusetts governor into the presidential race is more proof the party has no clue where the votes are

Quote:
Patrick’s entry comes after news that former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg put himself on the ballot in Alabama and Arkansas. It also comes amid word from Hillary Clinton that “many, many, many” people are urging her to run in 2020, and whispers in the press that an “anxious Democratic establishment” has been praying for alternate candidacies in a year that had already seen an astonishing 26 different people jump in the race.

A piece in the New York Times a few weeks ago suggested Democratic insiders, going through a “Maalox moment” as they contemplated possible failure in next year’s general election season, were fantasizing about “white knight” campaigns by Clinton, Patrick, John Kerry, Michelle Obama, former Attorney General Eric Holder (!), or Ohio’s Sherrod Brown.

The story described “concern” that “party elites” have about the existing field:
Quote:
With doubts rising about former Vice President Joseph R. Biden’s ability to finance a multistate primary campaign, persistent questions about Senator Elizabeth Warren’s viability in the general election and skepticism that Mayor Pete Buttigieg, of South Bend, Ind., can broaden his appeal beyond white voters, Democratic leaders are engaging in a familiar rite: fretting about who is in the race

LOL at the non-mention of Bernie Sanders in that passage. If Bernie wins the nomination, “Buttigieg Finishes Encouraging Fourth” is going to be your A1 Times headline.

Patrick in announcing voiced a similar set of “concerns,” basically saying he’s proud to enter this deep, richly experienced field that sucks just enough to force his emergency entrance: “I admire and respect the candidates in the Democratic field. They bring a richness of ideas and experience and a depth of character that makes me proud to be a Democrat. But if the character of the candidates is an issue in every election, this time is about the character of the country.”

The Times said Patrick’s policy prescriptions place him “closer to the ideological center than to the left.” In another story about Patrick and Bloomberg, the Times explained that both men “believe there is room in the race for a more dynamic candidate who is closer to the political middle than Mr. Biden’s two most prominent challengers, Ms. Warren and Senator Bernie Sanders.”

People like Bloomberg and Patrick seem to believe in the existence of a massive electoral “middle” that wants 15-point plans and meritocratic slogans instead of action. As befits brilliant political strategists, they also seem hyper-concerned about the feelings of the country’s least numerous demographic, the extremely rich. A consistent theme is fear (often described in papers like the Times as “concern”) that the rhetoric of Warren and Sanders might unduly upset wealthy folk.
Not the wealthy folk!

Quote:
From Donald Trump to Sanders to Warren, the politicians attracting the biggest and most enthusiastic responses in recent years have run on furious, throw-the-bums-out themes, for the logical reason that bums by now clearly need throwing out.

America’s political establishment has created vast inequities not only in the economy, but in criminal justice (where street crime is heavily punished, but white collar crime is not), war (it’s mostly not the sons and daughters of politicians and CEOs getting killed in overseas conflicts), health care (where much of the population lives in fear that getting sick will trigger bankruptcy), debt forgiveness (Wall Street bailout recipients got to write off losses, but people suffering foreclosures and student loan defaults are ruined), and other arenas.

You can’t capture the widespread discontent over these issues if you’re running on a message that the donor class doesn’t deserve censure for helping create these messes. It’s worse if you actually worked — as Patrick did — for a company like Ameriquest, a poster child for the practices that caused the 2008 financial crisis: using aggressive and/or predatory tactics to push homeowners into new subprime mortgages or mortgage refis, fueling the disastrous financial bubble.
For me this looks like more centrists to peel votes from Biden- great! The dude literally worked for private equity and private venture company Bain Capital- Mitt Romney's old stomping grounds- and for motherfucking Texaco- and for a subprime mortgage company Ameriquest. This is the guy- candidate number 28- that is going to lead the Democratic Party. Are you fucking joking? This is amazing.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 PM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Buttigieg Campaign Appeals To Moderate Republicans By Touting Low Approval Among Black Voters Onion

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (11-21-2019), SR71 (11-19-2019), The Man (11-19-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 12:01 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Okay there was a fifth debate Nov 20:
Vox: 4 winners and 3 losers from the November Democratic debate
NBCNews: Read: Democratic debate transcript, November 20, 2019
Jacobin- Last Night’s Democratic Debate Was Really Bad
Quote:
Bernie Sanders talked about his signature issues and made a number of bold interventions on foreign policy. Elizabeth Warren led with corruption. Amy Klobuchar offered up her trademark bromides about how good things aren’t possible, to the usual plaudits from some members of the media. Pete Buttigieg traded in misleading talking points about health-care policy originally pioneered by Republicans. Kamala Harris and Tulsi Gabbard had a tense exchange that mirrored this summer’s clash in Detroit. Andrew Yang, who was afforded by far the least speaking time by MSNBC’s moderators, managed to get in a somewhat pointed answer about young men and gun violence. Perhaps exhausted from his journey through time prior to the debate, Joe Biden stumbled between soporific drowsiness and mercurial anger.

In other words: a mostly par-for-the-course Democratic Party affair circa 2019.

If the debate made for frustrating viewing, the major reasons were what it didn’t include — and the peculiar framings of key issues that resulted from MSNBC’s chosen questions and at times intensely partisan moderation (with a few assists from the candidates themselves).
SNL had a satire:

recent reporting suggests Kamala Harris' campaign is imploding.
Bloomberg dropped a $37 million ad buy to siphon votes away from Biden, and because he's in the race his news network now covers no part of the presidential race.
Yang and his supporters are pissed about MSNBC's biased coverage.
Sanders campaign hits record 4 million donors.
Buttigieg Surging in Iowa and New Hampshire; his voter demographic trends sharply into the same as Warren's- PMC affluent white voters; so here's the mirror:
Warren sees some sign of her surge declining.
Booker's Super Pac friends said it's crickets over here; Booker still fighting for spot in next debate, buying ads.
Biden leading but soft support.

The good news on the December debates is it is likely we'll see four less candidates on the stage; only six have qualified so far.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Stoic Derelict

I can't pick a clear favorite yet. I was really hoping Harris would do better, but since she hasn't, I just keep scrolling through the defects in each candidate and trying to decide which are worst. I don't really care about policies that much, except as planks for the campaign platforms, because I'm skeptical the senate will change hands. I really just need them to beat Trump at this point. They may as well do a Napolean Dynamite. Vote for me and your wildest dreams will come true. Basic minimum income anyone? The republicans are sure to continue shutting down anything coming out of the house just as they are now anyway.

My evaluation of the relative merits is mostly academic in any case. The candidate is basically picked before my state ever votes.

I really hope there's at least one in the bunch that can really trounce Trump, and I really hope they get picked out of the crowd.
Stephen Maturin (12-03-2019), The Man (12-02-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Did nothing but lick toilet paper

Welcome to 2019 America, where the presidential campaign of anti-vax celebrity/woomeister Marianne Williamson has officially outlasted that of U.S. Senator Kamala Harris.

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (12-04-2019), Crumb (12-04-2019), Ensign Steve (12-03-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-03-2019), mickthinks (12-04-2019), slimshady2357 (12-04-2019), specious_reasons (12-04-2019), SR71 (12-04-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 03:15 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Welcome to 2019 America, where the presidential campaign of anti-vax celebrity/woomeister Marianne Williamson has officially outlasted that of U.S. Senator Kamala Harris.
Mildly bummed about Harris, I liked her, but it was more for personality than any particular policy.
Thanks, from:
SR71 (12-04-2019), Stephen Maturin (12-04-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 12:20 AM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

The loss of Harris is felt pretty hard through POC; Harris was a voice they felt they could count on to include them. Shoved off the stage by some white billionaires who I'm sure will want a return on their invesment.

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-05-2019), Ensign Steve (12-05-2019), slimshady2357 (12-05-2019), SR71 (12-05-2019), The Lone Ranger (12-05-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Stoic Derelict

I agree with Booker on one thing. We need a minority on the ticket, not just a stand-in. I hate to be crass, but it bears pointing out -

Gore, white, lost*
Kerry, white, lost
Obama, mixed, won
Clinton H., white, lost
* lost, conceded, w/e

Something about a Biden/Harris ticket?

Harris would help get minorities and women to the polls. At Biden's age, it wouldn't just be a pro forma, honorific position. Srsly, he could die. He's looking a little frazzled, imo. We can't just depend on Dump to give people something to vote against. We need to give the people, all of the people, something to vote for, as well. Let's not fool ourselves, race is a factor, perhaps more so than gender. If any other of the remaining candidates catches fire, Harris might be a good fit as well. In the last election, I was more enthusiastic to be voting for a female, the gender, rather than a female, Hillary in particular.
Crumb (12-05-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-05-2019), Stephen Maturin (12-05-2019), The Man (12-05-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 01:38 AM
Turkey Soviet agent, ominous or flat-bottomed

Fuck the old white guy altogether. Warren/Harris would mean that a reasonably qualified person would be in place from day one.
BrotherMan (12-06-2019), Crumb (12-06-2019), JoeP (12-06-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (12-06-2019), slimshady2357 (12-06-2019), SR71 (12-06-2019), The Man (12-06-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law