Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 07-24-2006, 06:38 PM
simple country microbiologist hyperchicken

Default clerks 2

i took my lady love to see clerks 2 saturday,

it was so fucking funny. we both loved it. and it is highly quotable. plus they blast the lord of the rings, which was awesome since i wasnt impressed by those movies.

bucking awesome movie. i was really worried that it would suck, and so fucking glad that it didnt.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:43 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: clerks 2

Now, it was great if you're a fan of the first movie, it's great if you're a fan of Kevin Smith, or it's great no matter who you are?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:49 PM

im a huge fan of the original movie and of kevin smith movies in general so i dont know if i can answer the question. but it requires no knowledge of the first movie to enjoy it.

so if you like sex humor and pop culture nerd humor, ie kevin smith humor, you should love clerks 2
Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Tellifying

One of my favorite bits of dialogue from Clerks is the discussion about those who constructed the Death Star and whether or not such contractors deserved their fate.

Anything in Clerks 2 comparable to that gem?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:55 PM

well the whole conversation about the superiority of star wars to the lord of the rings thing was just awesome. and the harping against the transformers was also really funny.

and then there was the pillow pants conversation, i hurt myself laughing so much at that one, although it wasnt really in the same genre of conversation.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 AM

Like bey, when I first heard back in the late Winter that it was coming out I thought it was going to suuuuuuuuuuck. I'm glad I was wrong, fucking hilarious.
I'll have to see it again in theaters.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

..any more roof hockey in it?

I'm glad it's good, something needs to make up for the bomb that was Jersey Girl.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 PM
High tech redneck

Well, I'm glad y'all liked it, but I was a bit disappointed. Here are my primary complaints:

-I didn't think the banter was as good as the first one. It was more base, and not as intelligent.

-Should have stuck with black and white!

-The cameos were stupid. The best thing about the original is that nobody was famous, and it gave it a real charm. For instance, Dante's girfriends in the first one looked like normal Jersey girls, the ones in this looked like Hollywood actresses.

-Dante got shot and was left for dead in the first one, and they didn't even mention that.

-The ending was too "feel good" Hollywood.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 PM

actually that eding was otional. the shot and left for dead was not in the original theatrical release.

i thought the cameo's were cute, and mallrats had a happy ending as well. i think its a decent yarn. and you think that clerk2 is more base than snowballina and "my girlfriend sucked 38 cocks" and sex with a corpse?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
High tech redneck

I agree, there was base humor in the first one, but there was also an underlying theme that reached out to anyone who has felt the angst of youth. You know, "what the hell am I going to do with my life", "is this all there is", "am I going to be stuck here forever", etc. That darker theme gave balance to the base humor, a reason for the comic relief, this movie had nothing deeper to balance the shallower aspects of it.

Also the base humor in the first one was fresh at the time, it's been done to death now. And it was like they were beating that same old dead horse, but with a bigger stick. Like the guy who believed there was a troll in his girlfriends pussy, that was too unbelieveable.

Everytime I've ever seen that movie, it had Dante getting shot. They can't just forget about it, most people know that ending.

Now, don't get me wrong, it was an entertaining movie. But I think they were just capitalizing off the old one, and this one won't achieve the cult status of the first one, IMHO.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Kev
Like the guy who believed there was a troll in his girlfriends pussy, that was too unbelieveable.

Yeah, and Bjork doesn't believe in elves.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:06 PM

Lord of the Rings, fooey!

I have no use for that yammering nonsense either.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

I'm a fan of the first one. I love the first one for reasons stated, but this one is more crude, tears-rolling-down-your-face hilarious.

PILLOWPANTS!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:15 AM

i agree i thought pillowpants was so fucking funny.

johnny,

i assume that you watched the directors cut with the optional ending, no one i know refers to that ending of the movie, since its a deleted scene, i really dont think it counts. i do agree that the underlying angst theme of the first one was a superior and that clerks was more subtle than clerks2,

but it was still funnier than hell.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyelzu
i agree i thought pillowpants was so fucking funny.

johnny,

i assume that you watched the directors cut with the optional ending, no one i know refers to that ending of the movie, since its a deleted scene, i really dont think it counts. i do agree that the underlying angst theme of the first one was a superior and that clerks was more subtle than clerks2,

but it was still funnier than hell.

NC Kev.

I have no complaints about Clerks 2, except perhaps it wasn't long enough.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:13 AM

oops, i got all confused, sorry man.

yes that was meant at nckev.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Dante gets shot in the original Clerks? I've apparently never seen that ending...might have to dig my DVD out when I get home, unless I have the wrong version.

Just saw the second one tonight (have I mentioned how utterly sucky it is to be stuck in a hotel by yourself for a week?). I thought it was a decent flick, overall. It lacked something of the spirit of the first one, I thought, although I suspect that may simply be because the original Clerks came out when I was in my early 20's and jockeying a register, so I could better relate.

I thought the banter was not quite as inspired as in the original, although several scenes did have me in tears. The porch monkey conversation (Randall keeps repeating the term in front of a black couple in the store because he's blissfully unaware that it's a racist slur...apparently, his grandmother used it as a term of endearment for him) was amusing. Jay as a post-rehab Christian who still sells pot but won't smoke it was funny, and appropriate given Jason Mewes recent history. The raunchy jokes were nowhere near as good as in the original, IMO. There's nothing here with the same degree of base hilartiy as the 37 dicks conversation.

The main "Dante is getting married but really he's in love with his boss" plot was sort of silly and transparent, although I have to admit I found it oddly touching at times (ditto the go-carts). I thoguth the ending was contrived as hell, too, but somehow it worked.

Oh, and regarding pillowpants, I was too...I dunno...creeped out, I suppose...to laugh. There's something really disturbing about that degree of naivete, IMO.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

The best thing about the Pillowpants conversation was the look on Randall's face.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature