Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Cosmos w/ Neil the Grass Tyson

Quote:
I have a face made for radio
Simply not true. However, you could do the traveling and interviewing and instead write about it.

Also, I enjoy Through the Wormhole (they bring diverse POVs to the table, which makes it interesting for me), but I do wonder why they chose Morgan Freeman to host it rather than a scientist.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (07-24-2013), Janet (07-23-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-23-2013), thedoc (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
I have a face made for radio
Simply not true. However, you could do the traveling and interviewing and instead write about it.
From the one photo I've seen I must agree, and I wonder if you are down-playing the attention you get from your female students? Please don't say you get attention from the male students. :eek:
Dingfod (07-24-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Maybe I'm not the best person to judge such things.

As far as I know, I don't get any undue attention from female (or male) students. But in fairness, a female friend tells me that I'd never notice, because I'd just assume they were being friendly, and never make the connection.

Could be, I suppose ... I'm not really the best judge, I'm sure.

Anyway, I haven't seen anything from him in a long time, but I recall that David Suzuki was another excellent science presenter.

I've written about this before, but one problem with modern science is that in order to become established in your field, you have to do original research. But most fields of science are so specialized nowadays that in order to make an original contribution, you have to focus yourself so narrowly that you tend to lose sight of other branches of science.

So, what happens is that most professional scientists work in semi-isolation, and are often shockingly ignorant of anything outside their own very specialized fields. Far too many working scientists lack a "big picture" perspective, in my opinion.

That's one of the reasons that I think that people like Tyson perform such a valuable service. Even scientists sometimes need to be reminded that the natural sciences are an integrated whole sharing a common methodology, and that insights from one field of science can often shed light on seemingly-unrelated fields.

For instance, many biologists could benefit from a better understanding of how physical constraints shape the evolution of plants and animals, I think.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-23-2013), Dingfod (07-24-2013), Janet (07-23-2013), Kael (07-23-2013), LadyShea (07-23-2013), thedoc (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Maybe I'm not the best person to judge such things.

As far as I know, I don't get any undue attention from female (or male) students. But in fairness, a female friend tells me that I'd never notice, because I'd just assume they were being friendly, and never make the connection.

Could be, I suppose ... I'm not really the best judge, I'm sure.

You're starting to repeat your self. Are you due for a vacation?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I've written about this before, but one problem with modern science is that in order to become established in your field, you have to do original research. But most fields of science are so specialized nowadays that in order to make an original contribution, you have to focus yourself so narrowly that you tend to lose sight of other branches of science.

So, what happens is that most professional scientists work in semi-isolation, and are often shockingly ignorant of anything outside their own very specialized fields. Far too many working scientists lack a "big picture" perspective, in my opinion.

That's one of the reasons that I think that people like Tyson perform such a valuable service. Even scientists sometimes need to be reminded that the natural sciences are an integrated whole sharing a common methodology, and that insights from one field of science can often shed light on seemingly-unrelated fields.

For instance, many biologists could benefit from a better understanding of how physical constraints shape the evolution of plants and animals, I think.
In one episode of Cosmos Carl Sagan spoke of the ancient Greeks who were making great advances in learning of science and math, till certain groups decided that such knowledge was too important for general consumption. These became secret societies where only the most elite were privy to the highest knowledge. This had the effect of stifeling development since good minds were not always allowed to start from the highest level of learning but often had to start from the begining on their own. One would hope that on important subjects there would be a willingness to share what is known but sometimes something as simple as unfamiliar jargon keeps many out of the know.

Several years ago I owned a Hobby shop and sold powered model airplanes. The old school fliers would insist that a newcomer start with control line flying and graduate to radio control. It was just a bit silly as there was little that translated from one to he other. It was just an establishement of a hierarchy where the old timers could be in control. Certainly a student must learn the basics before learning the advanced knowledge, but the advanced knowledge should not be held in secret till the student is "worthy to receive it".
Dingfod (07-24-2013), Kael (07-24-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Quote:

Anyway, I haven't seen anything from him in a long time, but I recall that David Suzuki was another excellent science presenter.
The Nature of Things is still showing on the CBC. Shouldn't be too hard to catch where you are. Of course, if you don't have a TV, that could make it problematic.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Crumb (07-23-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Quote:

The Nature of Things is still showing on the CBC. Shouldn't be too hard to catch where you are. Of course, if you don't have a TV, that could make it problematic.

Video is only available within Canada
Old 07-24-2013, 12:28 AM

I know, but I also know TLR is somewhere in Michigan, where you can pick up CBC with an antenna and it's considered a local station by Comcast. None of the other cable providers do that, though, which is why I'm stuck with Comcast.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
Old 03-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Admin

:bump:

This Sunday night!! (March 9th) on Fox, NatGeo, FX, etc.

COSMOS: A Spacetime odyssey
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-05-2014), Janet (03-05-2014), LadyShea (03-05-2014), livius drusus (03-05-2014), Nullifidian (03-09-2014), SharonDee (03-05-2014), wei yau (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Last week I ate at a restaurant I like called Sagano. This morning I noticed that their receipt wasn't formatted right for their printer and read Sagan. It must have been a sign.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-05-2014), Ensign Steve (03-05-2014), LadyShea (03-06-2014), Nullifidian (03-09-2014), SharonDee (03-06-2014), viscousmemories (03-06-2014), wei yau (03-06-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Admin

Quote:
The reboot of Carl Sagan's classic show Cosmos is coming tomorrow night in a huge international launch, and Fox has announced that the series will kick off with a message from President Obama. The new Cosmos, headlined by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, is a blend of CGI fiction and science that explores the universe and humanity's role in it. Fox says that Obama's opening video message "invites a new generation to embrace the spirit of discovery and inspires viewers to explore new frontiers and imagine limitless possibilities for the future."
President Obama will introduce the series premiere of 'Cosmos' on Sunday night | The Verge
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-09-2014), Dingfod (03-09-2014), Janet (03-11-2014), livius drusus (03-09-2014), Nullifidian (03-09-2014), SharonDee (03-09-2014), wei yau (03-09-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:23 AM
California Sober

Delilah's Crazy for Cosmos (2 1/2 years old) - YouTube
Crumb (03-11-2014), Janet (03-11-2014), LadyShea (03-11-2014), Nullifidian (03-13-2014), The Lone Ranger (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:30 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

I liked it and am looking forward to more!
I do hope the CG space/planets will make way for more real images.
My only complaint so far was the inaccurate depiction of the asteroid belt and at one point the Earth - Moon distance. Partly because they are pet peeves since almost every sci-fi show or movie gets them wrong.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-11-2014), Nullifidian (03-13-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Tellifying

I let The Big One stay up past her bedtime to watch the premiere. Between that and losing an hour due to DST, she was exhausted today.

But, still, no regrets.

She loved watching it with me and we had some interesting discussions. While it hasn't inspired in her a great love of science...yet. It was something we loved sharing together.

She was blown away by the Cosmic Calendar and just what it meant. And we've taken to calling each other "star stuff" in our greetings.
Adam (03-11-2014), Ari (03-11-2014), Crumb (03-11-2014), Demimonde (03-11-2014), Ensign Steve (03-11-2014), Janet (03-11-2014), JoeP (03-11-2014), LadyShea (03-11-2014), Nullifidian (03-13-2014), SharonDee (03-11-2014), viscousmemories (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:25 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I just watched it on the National Geographic channel. I need to get my grandson to watch it with me.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
That was awesome!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
California Sober

No shit! Did you see her shouting "it's the moon! it's the moon!" and "it's Jupiter! that's Saturn!" in her wee little galaxy pajamas? :^^

I peeked at her other, less viral videos, and they are like "Delilah counts to 10 in Spanish" and "Delilah counts to 100 by 5s and 10s". At 2 and a half! What a sweet little genius!

Look at that world map by her bed. I'm telling you, maps as decor in kids rooms. That's some Montessori shit right there.
Janet (03-11-2014), LadyShea (03-11-2014), livius drusus (03-12-2014), Nullifidian (03-13-2014), viscousmemories (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 PM

I am not enough of a savage to have TV, but it has come to my attention from Pharyngula that it is watchable online (for a while, anyway, and US only).

COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey

I will watch it soon.

For some reason I'm annoyed that the original Cosmos is considered in need of a remake, but I guess I'd rather people watch a remake of Cosmos than something shitty, and they could not have chosen a better person to host it, so... net win, I guess?
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-12-2014), Dingfod (03-13-2014), Nullifidian (03-13-2014), SharonDee (03-12-2014), viscousmemories (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 PM
High tech redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Adams View Post
I am not enough of a savage to have TV, but it has come to my attention from Pharyngula that it is watchable online (for a while, anyway, and US only).

COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey

I will watch it soon.

For some reason I'm annoyed that the original Cosmos is considered in need of a remake, but I guess I'd rather people watch a remake of Cosmos than something shitty, and they could not have chosen a better person to host it, so... net win, I guess?
You know, I felt the same way at first. But if you think about it, there have been many advances in science since the original Cosmos, and the new one does address a lot of that new knowledge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Thanks, from:
Crumb (03-12-2014), Dingfod (03-13-2014), Nullifidian (03-13-2014), wei yau (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Adams View Post
There have been a lot of advances in science since the original series, so as long as they keep the same format and tone, I don't see how it could be not as good as the original.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 AM
A fellow sophisticate

OKC Fox affiliate KOKH cut 15 seconds out of the last 10 minutes of Sunday night's broadcast of the series Cosmos removing a reference to evolution. They cut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
We are newcomers to the Cosmos. Our own story only begins on the last night of the cosmic year. Three and a half million years ago, our ancestors — your and mine left these traces (pointing to footprints). We stood up and parted ways from them. Once we were standing on two feet, our eyes were no longer fixated on the ground. Now, we were free to look up and wonder [at the stars].
Some people are the best evidence against evolution, they are still troglodytes.

Oh, and, your religion is stupid.
Nullifidian (03-13-2014), SharonDee (03-14-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post

Some people are the best evidence against evolution, they are still troglodytes.

Oh, and, your religion is stupid.
Somewhere, perhaps on this forum, I posted "stupidity is it's own reward", but I don't think many, if any, understood what I meant. It became a sort of 'self-ful-filling prophesy'.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Elucidate. Consider it a teaching moment.
Demimonde (03-13-2014), Nullifidian (03-13-2014), wei yau (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

You might learn from it. . .

might . . .
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I doubt it, I'm pretty dense, like the core of a neutron star.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature