Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 PM
fragment's Avatar
fragment fragment is offline
mesospheric bore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand
Gender: Male
Posts: VDCXC
Blog Entries: 8
Images: 142
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Juggalo Makeup Blocks Facial Recognition Technology | Consequence of Sound
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-09-2019), Ensign Steve (07-08-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-09-2019), lisarea (07-08-2019), slimshady2357 (07-09-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
  #227  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:32 AM
Kamilah Hauptmann's Avatar
Kamilah Hauptmann Kamilah Hauptmann is offline
I'm a regular Victor Victoria
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: MXCCXVIII
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Welp. Time to get me some Faygo.
__________________
Sometimes you herp a derp, sometimes the derp herps you.

:BC: :canada:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-09-2019)
  #228  
Old 07-09-2019, 03:07 AM
Ari's Avatar
Ari Ari is offline
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area
Gender: Male
Posts: XXC
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

The facial detection software used for years in things like phones and cameras is a pretty simple algorithm that hunts the image specifically for the light and dark contrast created by the T of your eyes and nose and then expands out from there to refine the search making the assumption that once itís found the T, it should only be so far before it finds the A, er I mean the chin, or similar features. If it finds that contrast it assumes face and puts a box around it. Itís a simple algorithm and it works way better than anyone expected for how dumb it is.

The article mentions something like face ID, but that isnít what this makeup would be for. Instead if those building facial recognition software take any shortcuts, like say decides to use this algorithm to toss out bits of the image or video it doesnít think is a face so the big processor intensive facial recognition guns can only focus on relevant data then a bit of makeup will go a long way to keeping the machine from even assuming you have a face to begin with.

This all does make me wonder what exactly face recognition engineers are doing with people who wear photo realistic t-shirts of other people.
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
fragment (07-09-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-09-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
  #229  
Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 AM
Kamilah Hauptmann's Avatar
Kamilah Hauptmann Kamilah Hauptmann is offline
I'm a regular Victor Victoria
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: MXCCXVIII
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
This all does make me wonder what exactly face recognition engineers are doing with people who wear photo realistic t-shirts of other people.
While I get that it could be a problem that lets criminals into houses from Facebook photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
__________________
Sometimes you herp a derp, sometimes the derp herps you.

:BC: :canada:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Ari (07-09-2019), BrotherMan (07-09-2019), Ensign Steve (07-09-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
  #230  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:24 AM
fragment's Avatar
fragment fragment is offline
mesospheric bore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand
Gender: Male
Posts: VDCXC
Blog Entries: 8
Images: 142
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
The facial detection software used for years in things like phones and cameras is a pretty simple algorithm that hunts the image specifically for the light and dark contrast created by the T of your eyes and nose and then expands out from there to refine the search making the assumption that once itís found the T, it should only be so far before it finds the A, er I mean the chin, or similar features. If it finds that contrast it assumes face and puts a box around it. Itís a simple algorithm and it works way better than anyone expected for how dumb it is.

The article mentions something like face ID, but that isnít what this makeup would be for. Instead if those building facial recognition software take any shortcuts, like say decides to use this algorithm to toss out bits of the image or video it doesnít think is a face so the big processor intensive facial recognition guns can only focus on relevant data then a bit of makeup will go a long way to keeping the machine from even assuming you have a face to begin with.

This all does make me wonder what exactly face recognition engineers are doing with people who wear photo realistic t-shirts of other people.
I get the impression that various image recognition techniques are quite easy to fool. iNaturalist can be surprisingly good at getting the right genus of a photo - if there's a living thing in the pic. But last time I checked it was pretty determined to match something and didn't have any "not a living thing" results.

Also, see this: Deep neural networks are easily fooled: High confidence predictions for unrecognizable images | Evolving AI Lab
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Ari (07-09-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
  #231  
Old 04-10-2020, 10:49 PM
JoeP's Avatar
JoeP JoeP is online now
Typing..
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: England/Miisaland
Gender: Male
Posts: XXVMMMCMVIII
Images: 18
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Relevant here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

Coronavirus: Apple and Google team up to contact trace Covid-19 - BBC News

Quote:
But ultimately, they aim to do away with the need to download dedicated apps, to encourage the practice.

The two companies believe their approach - designed to keep users, whose participation would be voluntary, anonymous - addresses privacy concerns.

Their contact-tracing method would work by using a smartphone's Bluetooth signals to determine to whom the owner had recently been in proximity for long enough to have established contagion a risk.

If one of those people later tested positive for the Covid-19 virus, a warning would be sent to the original handset owner.

No GPS location data or personal information would be recorded.
No need to download dedicated apps = no user control, right?

No personal information would be recorded, yet the point is to contact the original handset owner: how can they do that without personal information?

Quote:
"Privacy, transparency and consent are of utmost importance in this effort and we look forward to building this functionality in consultation with interested stakeholders," Apple and Google said in a joint statement.
Someone is lying here.
__________________

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-10-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-10-2020), lisarea (04-10-2020)
  #232  
Old 04-10-2020, 10:53 PM
Ensign Steve's Avatar
Ensign Steve Ensign Steve is offline
More of a "before rehab" friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Silicon Valley
Gender: Bender
Posts: XXXDCCVIII
Images: 66
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

How many fuckin :thanked: do you need?!
__________________
:kiwf::smurf:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-12-2020), JoeP (04-10-2020), Kamilah Hauptmann (04-10-2020), lisarea (04-10-2020)
  #233  
Old 04-10-2020, 11:31 PM
JoeP's Avatar
JoeP JoeP is online now
Typing..
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: England/Miisaland
Gender: Male
Posts: XXVMMMCMVIII
Images: 18
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

ALL THE THANKS.
__________________

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-11-2020), lisarea (04-10-2020)
  #234  
Old 04-10-2020, 11:32 PM
JoeP's Avatar
JoeP JoeP is online now
Typing..
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: England/Miisaland
Gender: Male
Posts: XXVMMMCMVIII
Images: 18
Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Actually thanksgrabbing was not my motivation for crossposting - merely an added bonus.
__________________

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Reply With Quote
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-11-2020), lisarea (04-10-2020)
Reply

  Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.89413 seconds with 14 queries