Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 07-08-2019, 11:36 PM
weird citrus golem

Default Re: Privacy, Anonymity, and Compartmentalization

Juggalo Makeup Blocks Facial Recognition Technology | Consequence of Sound
BrotherMan (07-09-2019), Ensign Steve (07-09-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-09-2019), lisarea (07-08-2019), slimshady2357 (07-09-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:32 AM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Welp. Time to get me some Faygo.

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:07 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

The facial detection software used for years in things like phones and cameras is a pretty simple algorithm that hunts the image specifically for the light and dark contrast created by the T of your eyes and nose and then expands out from there to refine the search making the assumption that once itís found the T, it should only be so far before it finds the A, er I mean the chin, or similar features. If it finds that contrast it assumes face and puts a box around it. Itís a simple algorithm and it works way better than anyone expected for how dumb it is.

The article mentions something like face ID, but that isnít what this makeup would be for. Instead if those building facial recognition software take any shortcuts, like say decides to use this algorithm to toss out bits of the image or video it doesnít think is a face so the big processor intensive facial recognition guns can only focus on relevant data then a bit of makeup will go a long way to keeping the machine from even assuming you have a face to begin with.

This all does make me wonder what exactly face recognition engineers are doing with people who wear photo realistic t-shirts of other people.
Thanks, from:
fragment (07-09-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-09-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:04 AM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
This all does make me wonder what exactly face recognition engineers are doing with people who wear photo realistic t-shirts of other people.
While I get that it could be a problem that lets criminals into houses from Facebook photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post

:BC: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (07-09-2019), BrotherMan (07-09-2019), Ensign Steve (07-09-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:24 AM
weird citrus golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
The facial detection software used for years in things like phones and cameras is a pretty simple algorithm that hunts the image specifically for the light and dark contrast created by the T of your eyes and nose and then expands out from there to refine the search making the assumption that once itís found the T, it should only be so far before it finds the A, er I mean the chin, or similar features. If it finds that contrast it assumes face and puts a box around it. Itís a simple algorithm and it works way better than anyone expected for how dumb it is.

The article mentions something like face ID, but that isnít what this makeup would be for. Instead if those building facial recognition software take any shortcuts, like say decides to use this algorithm to toss out bits of the image or video it doesnít think is a face so the big processor intensive facial recognition guns can only focus on relevant data then a bit of makeup will go a long way to keeping the machine from even assuming you have a face to begin with.

I get the impression that various image recognition techniques are quite easy to fool. iNaturalist can be surprisingly good at getting the right genus of a photo - if there's a living thing in the pic. But last time I checked it was pretty determined to match something and didn't have any "not a living thing" results.

Also, see this: Deep neural networks are easily fooled: High confidence predictions for unrecognizable images | Evolving AI Lab
Ari (07-09-2019), JoeP (07-10-2019), The Man (07-09-2019)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle