Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 01-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Default Chess Puzzles

One of the things that got me into playing chess was solving the chess puzzles in our local newspaper. They're pretty fun, usually revolving around how to either create a fork (an attack on two pieces at the same time) or end a game by checkmate. Sometimes they're created by chess theorists, but sometimes they also come from real life games.

This one is a bit of both. I'm sure somebody else has noticed this, but the chess puzzle given here is from my own analysis of the game found at Chessgames.com. In this game, Gaprindashvili vs. Veroci-Petronic (1974), women's world chess champion Nona Gaprindashvili (white) passed up a possible checkmate for a draw by perpetual check. From the position given, it's white to move and mate in 4.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 01-21-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Chess Puzzles

Black to move and mate in 4. This is from one of my own games, although from the layout given I mated in 3. Bonus points if you see why.

Here's the layout of the board, as given by Forsyth-Edwards Notation (FEN). Just copy and paste, then go to ChessUp.net and enter it there and try to figure out the solution online.

4rb1N/1p1k2pp/p2p4/2p5/2n2n2/8/b1R3PP/3K4

Last edited by Nullifidian; 01-24-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 PM

By the way, I forgot to include the alternative solutions for the first puzzle in this thread. :ffblush: :bag:

Here's the layout of the board, as given by Forsyth-Edwards Notation (FEN). Just copy and paste, then go to ChessUp.net and enter it there and try to figure out the solution online.

7r/4R1Qp/p4p2/4p2k/P3P3/4q1PP/6PK/5r2

Last edited by Nullifidian; 01-24-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:00 AM

Here are three classic puzzles from Sam Loyd, and a continuation conceived by Friedrich Amelung.

The King of Sweden, Karl XII, is on campaign against the Turks. In between battles he plays chess against one of his most brilliant generals. In one of these games, they arrived at the following position. Karl XII declared mate in three.

As they were playing, a Turkish bullet took the white Knight clean off the board. Without missing a beat, King Karl XII declared mate in four!

Then a second bullet flew by and struck the h2 Pawn from the board. Karl XII, still unflappable, simply declared mate in five.

Then the general said, with a wry smile, "What a pity, Your Majesty, that the first bullet didn't take the Rook off the board, rather than the Knight." Karl XII replied, with a beatific smile of his own, "Then I would have just declared mate in six."

Here are the layouts of the boards, as given by Forsyth-Edwards Notation (FEN). Just copy and paste, then go to ChessUp.net and enter it there and try to figure out the solution online.
  1. 8/6R1/7p/5K1k/8/6p1/5bPP/4N3
  2. 8/6R1/7p/5K1k/8/6p1/5bPP/8
  3. 8/6R1/7p/5K1k/8/6p1/5bP1/8
  4. 8/8/7p/5K1k/8/6p1/5bPP/4N3

Last edited by Nullifidian; 01-24-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 AM

Here's an entirely original composition from my very own self. :painter: Boredom is quite the muse.

From the position given, it's white to move and mate in 3.

4R3/5pn1/p1Rb3p/k7/3NB3/P3P3/1P2KPPP/8
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 AM

I can't do stuff like this on GameKnot. The ruthless efficiency of their computers will not let me, so I'm going to post my puzzle here, and a stripped down version there.

This arose from a game I'm playing right now where the player is in zugzwang, an arrangement where every choice of moves is bad. In this case, not only are the moves bad, they're fatal: every move leads to checkmate.

While I was working on the problem of how to efficiently checkmate my opponent, I came across this pleasing line which passes up a possible mate in three moves. The object of this puzzle is to checkmate white's king in 11 moves, while forcing him across the board. Take white's king on a tour.

Black to move and mate in 11.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

There was this wonderful chess book I read as a kid, I don't remember the author or the name, but it was a big (> 8.5x11) paperback about an inch thick.

It was pretty solid, but... It tended to assume consistent flawless play, and I think it's where I picked up the phrase, regarding an opening gambit, "The lost pawn cannot be regained. Black will lose in due course."
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
First off, should 3 have a 5 instead of a 7?

Secondly, I don't see how 4 works at all.

Last edited by seebs; 01-26-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
Quote:

No, because black's Queen cannot jump over pieces. The only way she can stand in defense of her King is to block the threat from white's Queen on the g5 square.

Secondly, pawns can capture one square diagonally to them. That's what gives the second check in the sequence its force. So if the black King is on h4, a pawn on g3 threatens immediate capture. In this case, he cannot capture pawns on g3 or h3 to escape check, because that would be putting himself in check from white's King (who can capture one square around him in every possible direction). He cannot move to h5, because he would be in check from the pawn on g4. He cannot capture the pawn on g4 because of the pawn at h3. In short, he's boxed in by pawns on every side and cannot eliminate the threat to the square he's sitting on. That's checkmate.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 PM
puzzler

Place 3 queens and 2 rooks on a chessboard so that every square is attacked. The solution is unique, if you ignore rotations and reflections of the entire board.

I discovered this puzzle myself using my minattak java program. I used to have that up on my old website, but right now it's not hosted anywhere, so you'll have to find the solution by hand. :P
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, because black's Queen cannot jump over pieces. The only way she can stand in defense of her King is to block the threat from white's Queen on the g5 square.

Secondly, pawns can capture one square diagonally to them. That's what gives the second check in the sequence its force. So if the black King is on h4, a pawn on g3 threatens immediate capture. In this case, he cannot capture pawns on g3 or h3 to escape check, because that would be putting himself in check from white's King (who can capture one square around him in every possible direction). He cannot move to h5, because he would be in check from the pawn on g4. He cannot capture the pawn on g4 because of the pawn at h3. In short, he's boxed in by pawns on every side and cannot eliminate the threat to the square he's sitting on. That's checkmate.
Doh! I somehow failed to realize that, after moving, the King would be on a different square. I just read that totally wrong, I think. So I was trying to find a square the queen could move to that would put the king in check where he WAS.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Place 3 queens and 2 rooks on a chessboard so that every square is attacked. The solution is unique, if you ignore rotations and reflections of the entire board.

I discovered this puzzle myself using my minattak java program. I used to have that up on my old website, but right now it's not hosted anywhere, so you'll have to find the solution by hand. :P
My solution below the fold:

This is similar to the Eight Queens Problem, which you can play online here.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:35 PM

Here's a puzzle which is impossible to do at GameKnot. The position of the two knights alone guarantees mate in 2 (e.g. Nh6+ Kh8, Ng6#). The object is to move your c2 pawn up the gauntlet of black pawns and not lose nor capture a single piece, then checkmate the king with your pawn in the last move.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 AM

This is another puzzle you can't do at GameKnot—can anyone tell I'm irritated with their puzzle system yet?—despite being an important element of chess. The object of this puzzle is not to checkmate the opponent, but to gain an advantage.

The reason this is important is illustrated by the fact that the position below is where the person playing white (then rated 1733) resigned the game. What he shouldcould have done is taken what might have proved a game-winning advantage. Can you tell what shouldcan be done?

I am so embarrassed. :ffblush: It was the person who played Black here who was rated 1733 and was the one who resigned the game. But it's still a nice illustration in grabbing the advantage.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 01-31-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 AM

Here's a pretty puzzle, from Sam Loyd. It's actually surprisingly easy, if one applies a bit of reasoning to the subject.

On which square does the black king have to stand for white to achieve checkmate in three from white's starting position (all the pawns on the front rank, and all the rest of the pieces on the back rank), assuming no other black pieces are on the board?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 AM

Here's a beautiful mate from a game with Mikhail Tal (White) vs. Johann Hjartarson (Black), played in Reykjavik in 1987. In the actual game, it was white to move and mate in four from the position below, and Hjartarson resigned one move away from mate.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 02-13-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM

Here's another neat little problem. Black's pawn is about to promote, and all you have is a knight. Can you checkmate before the pawn promotion? White to move and mate in seven.

The FEN for the current puzzle is:

8/8/8/8/pN6/8/2K5/k7

And, the FEN for the previous puzzle is:

1R6/2nb2kp/3p2p1/3PN2n/1P2Pp2/5N1P/1Q3PPK/r2q4

Paste them into Chessup, and you can work out the problems there if you don't have a chessboard of your own.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 PM

Here's an attractive checkmate from one of my own games, with every major piece I had working together. From the position given below, it's Black to move and mate in three.

The FEN for this position is:

2k2r2/ppp1n2Q/2p5/2b5/3pP3/2P2qrP/PP1R1P2/RNB2K2

If you take it to Chessup, you can paste it in there to help figure out the solution.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 02-17-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Here's a checkmate problem from one of my other games. The challenge here is to checkmate without going into perpetual check (three moves back-and-forth that replicate the board position), allowing the king to escape the danger zone, or allowing any of the sizeable army left to come to the king's aid.

From the position given below, it's Black to move and mate in nine.

The FEN for the puzzle is:
r1b2rk1/ppp3bp/2n2qp1/3p2N1/5B2/6P1/PPP1QP1P/2KR1B1R

If you go to Chessup, you can paste it there to analyze it.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM

Here's a very attractive mate from the match NN vs. Adolf Anderssen, 1872. NN is commonly thought to stand for "no name", but it's really an abbreviation of the Latin nomen nescio, literally "I do not know the name". NN in chess matches stands for an anonymous player, possibly an amateur. In the internet age, NN is frequently used to designate someone playing under a nickname.

From the position given below, it's Black to move and mate in four.

The FEN for the puzzle is:
7k/1p4p1/7p/3P1n2/4Q3/2P2P1b/PP3q1P/6RK

If you go to Chessup, you can paste it there to analyze it.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Here's an anti-stalemate puzzle of my own composition. I really hate seeing games in won positions end in stalemate. :mutter:

From the position below, it's Black to move and mate in three.

The FEN for this board is:
6R1/8/5k2/8/8/4q2p/5p1K/8

If you paste it into Chessup, you can work out the problem there.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 02-22-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 PM

The fun of this puzzle is that there are so many checkmate possibilities. The king is on e5, and the major and minor pieces are in their starting positions, with the placement of the bishops and knights reversed. On GameKnot, where I saw this puzzle, four people including the originator posted solutions before I did, and I was still able to find some new ones. I'll post one of mine as a solution, but try to find your own.

From the position below, it's white to move and mate in three.

The FEN for this puzzle is:
8/8/8/4k3/8/8/8/RBNQKNBR

If you copy it to Chessup, you can work out the puzzle there.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Hjartarson could have delayed the checkmate by one move with Qd4
Probably a dumb question, but why not block with the knight on the first move?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hjartarson could have delayed the checkmate by one move with Qd4
Probably a dumb question, but why not block with the knight on the first move?
It would have been an instant checkmate. The only knight in a position to block the check is on h5.

So:

1. Ng4+ disc. ch. Nf6
2. Qxf6#

The king wouldn't be able to go on f8 because of rook and queen, h8 because of rook and queen, and g8 because of the rook alone. He couldn't escape to f7 because of the queen. He couldn't capture the queen on f6 because she's protected by the knight on g4, which is also cutting off his retreat to h6.

Here's what the checkmate would look like.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:22 AM
puzzler

Place three queens and three kings on a chessboard so that all squares are attacked.

I put my applet back on-line now, that solves these sorts of puzzle.

Minimum attack java applet

(It used to be on my, now defunct, mround.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk website, and some of the names / links may still refer to that, but it seems to work anyhow),

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum