Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology

Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Default Help for those with TBIs

I know an adult with a traumatic brain injury (tbi), living on their own. This particular person is still very intelligent, even after the TBI, however, they did lose quite a bit of their executive functions, so is now flighty, makes spur-of-the-moment poor decisions, and in general, needs help focusing. I'm putting together a resource binder to help them out-housing opportunities, therapists, daily help reminders, etc. As I was doing that...

It occurred to me that they would profit from a daily journal that guided some of their day – reminders to take medicine, a place to write down their thoughts, a place to set up their appointments, some to-do list stuff, and a place for daily brain training (mind-game links, math puzzles and the like).

It would be good if they could print out a copy for themselves, or have an application that they could access on their i-pad.

Seems to me that if I can get it in a general form, it can help more people with TBIs than just the person I'm currently helping.

How do I go about writing up a description of what I want so that I can hire someone to program this (or program it myself, if need be)?

It would include, but not be limited to:
daily medicine reminder/checkoff
daily journal/diary
daily task checkoff
daily brain re-training reminders
daily appointment reminder

a tab for the daily journal
a tab for on-line resources
a tab for IRL resources
a tab for email/phones of doctors/assistants

Must be able to automatically start on a new journal page daily
Must be able to scroll backwards and forwards and return to today easily
Must be editable on the today and future pages
May be a daily printable, or maybe have each portion (module?) printable.
Must not have many options
Must not need to be constantly fiddled with to customize it.
Must have clear help available, or examples, or pop-up "tool tips" or all three.

The medicine area should be superficially editable so that the checkboxes are by time of day, or by hour, or by medicine.
The medicine area should have a non-editable summary page that can be printed out for the doctor.

The journal/diary area should be editable on the day it's made, and non-editable on past day or future day entries.

The daily task/portion could be a line to write tasks down, or a check box of permanent tasks, or a drop down list of tasks for that day.

the brain training could be a drop down list of links to on-line articles and mind games (memory, math, etc.)

The appointment area should be a place to write down any appointments for that day, the place, time, and phone number. This should be editable in the future pages, but not the past.

The tabs for resources should be a description of the resource, and a way of contacting the resource.
It should be editable; add, subtract, emend.
It should be printable.

The same for the doctors/assistance tab.

I feel like I'm leaving out major considerations in writing this up as a programming guide, because I don't know what I'm doing. I have basically been thinking this could be a mashup of several programs I have, like TiddlyWiki, Circus Ponies NoteBook, Filemaker Pro, and Drupal. Sort of a content-managment software that's simple.
Which is something no content-management software is.

Suggestions would be very welcome. How to write up a programming proposal? Anything essential for a TBI I left off? Suggestions on a software I don't know about?

This person has an Ipad. But I think something like TiddlyWiki in Firefox would be more helpful. Something accessible in more places than just an Ipad. Or maybe something that can be customized and generates a pdf to print out each day?
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-18-2016), ceptimus (08-18-2016), lisarea (08-18-2016), slimshady2357 (08-18-2016), Stormlight (08-19-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology