Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall

Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Default Building a Better Teacher

Building a Better Teacher - NYTimes.com

Long, but interesting.

Quote:
The testing mandates in No Child Left Behind had generated a sea of data, and researchers were now able to parse student achievement in ways they never had before. A new generation of economists devised statistical methods to measure the “value added” to a student’s performance by almost every factor imaginable: class size versus per-pupil funding versus curriculum. When researchers ran the numbers in dozens of different studies, every factor under a school’s control produced just a tiny impact, except for one: which teacher the student had been assigned to. Some teachers could regularly lift their students’ test scores above the average for children of the same race, class and ability level.
Quote:
But what makes a good teacher? There have been many quests for the one essential trait, and they have all come up empty-handed. Among the factors that do not predict whether a teacher will succeed: a graduate-school degree, a high score on the SAT, an extroverted personality, politeness, confidence, warmth, enthusiasm and having passed the teacher-certification exam on the first try. When Bill Gates announced recently that his foundation was investing millions in a project to improve teaching quality in the United States, he added a rueful caveat. “Unfortunately, it seems the field doesn’t have a clear view of what characterizes good teaching,” Gates said. “I’m personally very curious.”
It then goes on to talk about two researchers who have managed to discover at least some factors that do seem to make good teachers.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-19-2010), Clutch Munny (03-21-2010), Crumb (03-18-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Building a Better Teacher

I read that, interesting indeed.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Study Hall