Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
And then I was getting super-mad last night because I watched Murnau's Nosferatu on AMC
LIAR. VILE BETRAYER. It was on TCM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-14-2013), Dingfod (10-15-2013), Janet (10-15-2013), lisarea (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it. Also it's on Netflix Inst

Well, I said that wrong ON PURPOSE to troll you.

:woohoo:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (10-14-2013), Crumb (10-14-2013), Dingfod (10-15-2013), Janet (10-15-2013), livius drusus (10-14-2013), Pan Narrans (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 04:41 PM
A fellow sophisticate

I cannot watch Nosferatu without thinking of Shadow of the Vampire, where Willem Dafoe played Max Shreck, Count Orlok/Nosferatu as not actually acting or needing makeup to look like this:

lisarea (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I have Herzog's Nosferatu on VHS and a player to play it on. So there nyah! :nyahnyah:
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
lisarea (10-15-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Don't Trust the B!tch in Apartment 23

Did you blink and miss it? Did you read the title and say "THAT SOUNDS DUMB AND CURSES RIGHT IN THE TITLE ARE STUPID"? Allow me to reassure you: It's p funny. Well, I should caveat that I'm only a few episodes in so I don't know how it holds up or how it all ends (because it was cancelled at its second season).
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

HAPPY HOLLOWSWEEN EVERBODY.

Dexter is now available on Netflix streaming.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (11-02-2013), Janet (11-01-2013), lisarea (11-01-2013), livius drusus (12-16-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 AM

Because I can never get enough of UK police procedurals or Gillian Anderson, I added The Fall to my queue and watched it over the weekend. It is phenomenal. Even if you're not a whodunit type, you should watch it just for the intelligence of the dialogue, the unique approach to issues of gender and sexuality and, of course, for Gillian alone.

The only negative is that it's just five episodes and as far as I know, they haven't even shot the second season yet. They need to get on that because the main killer (it's not a spoiler; we know who he is from the beginning) is played by Jamie Dornan who is currently shooting 50 Shades of Grey in Toronto or something.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-17-2013), Crumb (12-17-2013), Dingfod (12-17-2013), Janet (12-17-2013), JoeP (12-22-2013), lisarea (12-17-2013), Nullifidian (12-21-2013), SharonDee (12-18-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 AM

Oh, we watched Top of the Lake on the Netflixes. That was pretty good, and I recommend it.

On the other hand, I watched two episodes of Hemlock Grove, which is a Netflix original directed by Eli Roth, on some recommendation I can't remember where I saw it, and it is just hilariously bad. The writing, the acting, the special effects makeup are all LOLOLOLOL.

Like, to introduce this one character, they have another character walk up to him and just start drilling him with personal questions for no good reason. And when they need to show that this previously mute monster girl is actually all sensitive and intelligent, they have her write an email in this really stilted kind of fedora guy style, all courtly and shit. And one of her main monster qualities is she has one regular eye and one giant anime style eye halfway down her face.

It is so terrible that I actually kind of halfway recommend it for the lulz.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (12-17-2013), Janet (12-17-2013), livius drusus (12-17-2013), Nullifidian (12-21-2013), SharonDee (12-18-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 AM

Reefer Madness! REEFER MADNESS!
That if you like enjoyably bad movies. Other than that I'd recommend Shaolin Soccer. You'd have to read subtitles, though.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 AM

So I was at the Red Cross yesterday, doing my good deed for leukemia patients, where Netflix is offered to donors while you go through two hours of hell.

Anyway, I got pretty bored with the Discovery Channel's dinosaur series by the second episode so I looked over at the next TV to see what that guy was watching.

Y'all, that had to be the dumbest looking thing I ever saw. It was mermaids. Freaking live action mermaids, complete with a merman. (Well, mer-teenager, I guess. But we all know he's probably 25.) It had closed captioning so I'm reading along, surreptitiously so no one is disabused of the notion that I'm a science-y uber-nerd.

So even though I was repulsed I was also kind of fascinated. I mean, it looks like something Daughter would have enjoyed when she was 10 or so.

I get home and do the Google thing and learn that it's a Netflix original. And ... freaking and! ... this silly little show is based on an apparently Aussie TV show about mermaids. NO LIE!!

So if you really care, you can take a look on Netflix for:

Original series: H2O: Just Add Water
Netflix series: Mako Mermaids: An H2O Adventure

I just wish I knew why this silly thing is still on my mind. Seems I want to do everything but watch it. Tell everybody IRL, write about it here ... but no watchee! what's the deal?
BrotherMan (12-18-2013), Crumb (12-18-2013), Ensign Steve (12-18-2013), Janet (12-19-2013), lisarea (12-18-2013), livius drusus (12-18-2013), Nullifidian (12-21-2013), Sock Puppet (12-20-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 AM
A fellow sophisticate

I'm not watching it, you watch it. I know, we'll get Mikey to watch it, he hates everything.
Janet (12-19-2013), SharonDee (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Oh, here's some Xmas ornaments for you, SharonDee:

Janet (12-19-2013), lisarea (12-20-2013), Nullifidian (12-21-2013), Qingdai (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

The Li'l Puppet watches H2O. Luckily, she watches it in the office so we aren't subjected to it. Actually, it's about on par with the Disney kidcoms she watches; bad, but not, say, 80s kid show bad.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 12-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Orient it to my experience: Are they as bad as Saturday morning live action shows from the 70s? (Shazam! , Isis, et al.)
Old 12-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Nah, they're better than that crap. I remember watching that shit as a kid and being continually amazed and horrified at how bad those were. H2O seems more like a fantasy-based dramedy for kids, at least the bits I've seen. I did see a scene with some sort of magical battle between a good and evil character involving hilariously fake CGI bubbles, but even that wasn't as terrible as the stuff that passed for action in the Isis or Shazam shows.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
SharonDee (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Fishy mokey

Oh, I'm trying out the Dutch version of Netflix, which became available a couple of months ago. I am not very impressed by what they have, though quite impressed by what they don't have, which is pretty much all of the American shows I watch. They have some that i have seen and don't mind watching again like Farscape and Arrested Development. They also have Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black which I still haven't started and I'm not sure why. And they have all kinds of Danish (and Swedish) cop shows, some of which are insanely good but I have seen and some I haven't seen but are probably not as good. So I'll probably do it for 7.99, if only because I will use it to rewatch shows. It is very fast, compared to all the illegal ones, the picture is very good and it remembers where you were. I have done extensive research to come to this conclusion, so that is all justified and perfectly legal now that I am an überinformed consumer like the Koch-funded lolbertarians tell me to be.
BrotherMan (12-20-2013), Crumb (12-20-2013), Nullifidian (12-21-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I had forgotten Isis ever existed. I'm not entirely happy to be reminded.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
SharonDee (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 PM

"Oh, mighty Isis ..."
:relaxation:

:powerup:
Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 AM
A fellow sophisticate

Orange is the New Black is all kinds of awesome.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Because I can never get enough of UK police procedurals or Gillian Anderson, I added The Fall to my queue and watched it over the weekend. It is phenomenal. Even if you're not a whodunit type, you should watch it just for the intelligence of the dialogue, the unique approach to issues of gender and sexuality and, of course, for Gillian alone.

The only negative is that it's just five episodes and as far as I know, they haven't even shot the second season yet. They need to get on that because the main killer (it's not a spoiler; we know who he is from the beginning) is played by Jamie Dornan who is currently shooting 50 Shades of Grey in Toronto or something.
The Fall was excellent.:yup:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (12-22-2013), SharonDee (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM
California Sober

I'm watching this movie called "timer" that's like a near-future scifi romantic comedy where most people have a timer on their wrist that counts down the seconds till they meet their soul mate. It's pretty cute and more interesting than the premise sounds.
Adam (12-22-2013), Dingfod (12-23-2013), Janet (12-26-2013), Qingdai (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I had forgotten Isis ever existed. I'm not entirely happy to be reminded.
But... Archer!
Thanks, from:
Adam (12-22-2013), Ensign Steve (12-22-2013), Janet (12-26-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post

What kind of season--oh, excuse me, series...is only five episodes long?! C'mon, the latest victim is waking up and bam, we're done. WAIT!

Pfft.

(Thanks for the new addiction, liv. I think.)
BrotherMan (12-23-2013), Janet (12-26-2013), livius drusus (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 04:41 PM

Yay! I'm delighted to have sucked you in.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 PM

On my brother's recommendation, we watched Wrong last night, and I thought it was hilarious.

Looking at the Netflix reviews, though, I see that a lot of people disliked it to the point that it made them really angry, so I guess that's not a general recommendation.

It's by the same guy who made Rubber, that movie about the tire, so it has a little similar style.

Also, for some reason, I had seen one of the scenes about the trees, but for the life of me I cannot imagine why.
Thanks, from:
Adam (12-26-2013), livius drusus (01-05-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature