Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Quality Contributor

Default Re: Video Games - Watcha playin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
Stormy and Crumb - how are you liking Firewatch?
I played about an hour and REALLY like it! Graphics, voice acting and story are excellent!

Btw, since you play a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness I guess it is right up TLR's alley! :unnod:
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
I would encourage anyone playing any Bethesda game to use the unofficial patch mods.
It looks like the Moda won't be released for PS4 due to some outside meshes and other assets Sony isn't comfortable with.
The Lone Ranger (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I also recommend Firewatch. Great looking game and interesting story. :thumbup:
curses (11-30-2016), Stormlight (11-29-2016), The Lone Ranger (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 11:43 PM
the internet says I'm right

We just picked up an Xbox one, along with some other entertainment stuff, as our family gift for the holidays. The whole setup kind of blew our budget for a month or two, but Skyrim SE is currently at the top of my games list. January maybe. :eager:
Thanks, from:
curses (11-30-2016), Stormlight (12-16-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-07-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Cyanide & Happiness (Explosm.net)

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (12-16-2016), curses (12-16-2016), Kyuss Apollo (02-15-2017), Stormlight (12-16-2016), The Lone Ranger (12-16-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I bought Final Fantasy XV. I'm not usually a JRPG fan but there will always be a special place in my heart for FFVII. It's the game that got me back into gaming. What that means is every now and then I buy one of the FF titles (and usually regret it). This one...jury's still out on, although I will probably grow to love it. 12 was the last one I played and it was still very much buried in the fantasy world. 15 is..well it's got a much more modern twist to it. It's still got princes, princesses in distress, conquered empires, magic, and weapons that are two times the size of the character. But it also feels like a road trip.

In the beginning you and your 4 companions get a car. You use use it to travel the map, listen to earlier FF music, and it even becomes part of the story arc. Did I mention it's convertible and customizable? It's infinitely better than riding chocobos the whole time. Yeah, I'm cruising around the continent in a candy green convertible Regalia with white racing stripes and matte black rims. Class. You can either choose to drive the car yourself or let your designated driver NPC take the wheel. You can either fast travel to a location with a parking spot that you've visited before (which costs 10 gil-the currency of the FF universe) or drive the distance listening to NPC banter and the FFVIII battle music. I wonder if I can pop that Outkast cd in..bet I could if this were the PC version.

It's not just the driving that feels like a road trip, either. Each party member has a skill that needs to be levelled up and they mostly fit that camping/exploring vibe. One is survival, which leads that party member to be able to pick up potions and such at the end of a battle, and one is cooking which gives him the ability to make stat-boosting meals at campsites. Pretty useful stuff. Then you have..fishing. Granted you can catch fish to be cooked, and I'm guessing that some of the treasures from other caught fish go to improving weapons but..fishing? The last is photography. One of the party members takes photos randomly throughout your journey and you get to select which ones to keep. And of course you can share them on your own social media. Because free advertising for the studio, I guess. There are side quests (because Final Fantasy is king of the side quest) that involve photography, but couldn't we have someone who is good at something else, like spell creation? Or a lore master?

All gripes aside I have to say I do love the storyline, although it's pretty bog standard JRPG. But I like how it fits together with cars and cameras and vacation spots. But what I don't like is the combat. The game features quite a few monsters from previous titles, but none of the tactical ability. You can no longer give commands to or switch to other party members. Not sure when this changed in the FF universe but it leaves me a bit cold. I spend most of my big battles having to heal the NPCs. Then there are the main character's warp abilities. You can warp to an enemy, or warp to a warp point to get out of the fray momentarily. And the aiming is shit. If you're just a bit off on your aiming for a warp point then you either head back to your targeted enemy or warp off randomly. When you're on your last 10% of health this matters. I find it infinitely frustrating.

What it is also missing is turn based combat. There is a wait timer that you have to activate in your options menu which tries to give you a similar feel to turn based, but it is lacking. The option to scroll through lists of scrolls, spells, and abilities for your party is gone. What it does give you, however, is the ability to pause battle and look at your surroundings. Its implementation feels less than polished on a console, however, and I find I leave it off as it doesn't add much to the open battle model they now use.

If the only complaint I have is the battle system-and to be clear it's not completely broken, just not what I would like-then this game is going to be juuuust fine. But being a FF game it's going to take me a few hundred hours to complete. And if I complete it it'll be the first FF game that I've won. So here's hoping.
BrotherMan (12-19-2016), Stephen Maturin (12-18-2016), Stormlight (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 07:07 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
[I also added a mod called "The Paarthunax Dilemma." I haven't gotten to the point where it kicks in yet, but supposedly, it will allow you to confront Delphine and Esbern about their bigotry and remind them they they serve you, not the other way around. I'm so looking forward to telling them just where they can stick their bigotry regarding Paarthurnax.]
That is... a really cool mod. There are several outcomes of Skyrim that I never bothered to explore just because I could never justify the actions for any of my characters. I never could kill Paarthunax, so I always distanced myself from the Blades because of it.

Kind of like in the last few Fallout games with slavery - even if I was playing an "evil" character, I could never side with the slavers, and so I would up being "good" overall because I usually wound up killing all the slavers.

I started playing "Bloodborne" last week, and I think it's... interesting, but the levels reset every time you die, so it's frustratingly hard. Time to go look at some walkthroughs.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Since I already have Amazon Prime but no cable TV or gaming system, I am looking getting us Amazon Fire TV for the Yule "house" present. Do any :ff:ers have the Gaming Edition? I am leaning towards that, just because this kinda kills two birds with one stone.

Anyone here have regular Fire TV? Or the Fire TV Gaming Edition? What do you like and not like like about it?

Inquiring minds want to know. Before free two-day shipping puts us past the holidays.

Thanks, from:
curses (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I got Kerbal Space Program on a whim for $13. God I suck at science.
BrotherMan (12-28-2016), Stormlight (01-10-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:47 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Don't feel bad about sucking at it. If you want to do something other than blow stuff up off the launch pad you have to either be a rocket scientist or read/watch tutorials. It's somewhat simplified complexity. Simplified because you don't need a team of thousands of engineers and math dorks; complex because the underlying science and math is as close as a single person can come to doing it.

But still, it can be a lot of fun.
Thanks, from:
curses (12-28-2016), Stormlight (01-10-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I've made it to the Mercury-level ability to launch a rocket into low but unsustainable orbit. It's the reentry that was getting to me before I unlocked the drogue parachute. It is terribly fun, I just feel bad every time I kill a Kerbal. Poor little guys.
BrotherMan (12-29-2016), Crumb (12-28-2016), Stormlight (01-10-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Quote:
When will LucasArts get off their duffs and re-do X-Wing and TIE Fighter for modern systems?
Literally. All they have to do is make it with a modern game engine and graphics and they could make lots of money.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (01-10-2017), The Lone Ranger (12-31-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I was just introduced to a free tablet game called Draw Something. Seems pretty fun. If anyone wants to draw at me, I am DuckOfDeathV. It has ads and maybe some in app purchases. Basically online, timerless Pictionary.
Ensign Steve (01-12-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

So I'm looking at grabbing Elite Dangerous. It's an MMO but that's ok. It looks like what No Man's Sky should have been and that's just awesome.
The Lone Ranger (02-11-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

So I just beat FFXV and I am so full of "what the hell just happened?"
JoeP (01-09-2017), Stormlight (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
I was just introduced to a free tablet game called Draw Something. Seems pretty fun. If anyone wants to draw at me, I am DuckOfDeathV. It has ads and maybe some in app purchases. Basically online, timerless Pictionary.
I have played that before, I remember it was fun. Note to self: install on new phone
Crumb (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

You must have a large phone. I can't imagine trying to draw on my tiny phone. If you get it added hit me up with some drawrings. :painter:
Old 01-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

After five years in the making, Mass Effect Andromeda has a release date - 3/21! Despite the ridiculous amount of time I've spent playing Destiny over the past 2+ years, the original Mass Effect trilogy remains my all-time favorite.

The vast majority of Bioware people responsible for the original Mass Effect story lines are long gone. That generates some apprehension about story quality, but for now anticipation outweighs apprehension.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-20-2017), curses (02-11-2017), Kael (01-19-2017), Kyuss Apollo (02-15-2017), Stormlight (02-13-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-10-2017), Crumb (02-09-2017), curses (02-11-2017), JoeP (02-10-2017), Pan Narrans (02-10-2017), Stormlight (02-13-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 05:55 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I'm still playing Skyrim: Special Edition, but man I'm really getting pissed off at Bethesda. Why? Because it's all too obvious that when they made the SE, all they actually did was render the thing in high definition. As far as I can tell, they haven't corrected any of the numerous bugs (some of them game-breaking) in the game. It's annoying as heck that they think so little of their customers that they've re-released the game (at full price, no less!) and made no improvements beyond the graphics.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but Bethesda's attitude is apparently: "What, they want a game that works? Well, let the modders figure it out, then."

It's telling that probably half the mods available are fixes for things Bethesda should have taken care of itself.

This makes me seriously reconsider whether or not I'll ever again be willing to buy a Bethesda game.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (02-13-2017), Kyuss Apollo (02-11-2017), Stormlight (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Currently I am mostly playing Banished, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and Cities: Skylines. Also have played a little less recently Brothers - A Tale of Two Suns
Old 02-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Cities Skylines 75% off deal! Easily the most beautiful city simulator I've toyed with, but lacks much in plot and pacing.

Still, for $10, I'll not return it. Toy with it some more.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

If you get the new disaster DLC they added scenarios. (and disasters of course) I haven't sprung for it yet, since I generally buy games on sale. I would jump on cities: skylines in a second for 75% off. That's a steal.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
I'm still playing Skyrim: Special Edition, but man I'm really getting pissed off at Bethesda. Why? Because it's all too obvious that when they made the SE, all they actually did was render the thing in high definition. As far as I can tell, they haven't corrected any of the numerous bugs (some of them game-breaking) in the game. It's annoying as heck that they think so little of their customers that they've re-released the game (at full price, no less!) and made no improvements beyond the graphics.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but Bethesda's attitude is apparently: "What, they want a game that works? Well, let the modders figure it out, then."

It's telling that probably half the mods available are fixes for things Bethesda should have taken care of itself.

This makes me seriously reconsider whether or not I'll ever again be willing to buy a Bethesda game.
That sucks. I got it for free on the PC as I owned all the DLC.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Humble Freedom Bundle (pay what you want and help charity)

ACLU, MSF, etc

Thanks, from:
Crumb (02-14-2017), curses (02-15-2017), Kael (02-14-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum