Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Default Re: Flock!

The hatchlings are now feathered out and holding their own against the 'mean girl' biddies in the scramble for fresh treats. Sonja has trained them well. The know how to beg at the back door. I haven't managed to actually handle but one of them, but they still trust me because Sonja trusts me; they will run around my feet and, now, take bread from my hand.

I'm trying to ascertain gender, for placement purposes. The Turken, being reasonably clearly a pullet, has a home already with my former hatchling feathering co-conspirators, where she will join another Turken. I call her my Marans Turken.

Then, there is the hatchling that is not only showing precocious comb development, but at seven weeks had distinct wattle development. This is a roo, I'm fairly sure. A cockerel.

The two foofy-faced hatchlings are my EE products from green eggs. There are two. One has more advanced comb development, which makes me think I've one each, pullet and cockerel.

Then, there is the gold mantled hatchling. The other hatchlings are all black with reddish hackle highlights. Most have some indication of shank feathering, too. All Black Copper Marans traits. This last individual has gold instead of red. It covers the head and shoulders, like a mantle. It is gold flecking in a black background and the rest of the body is black. It has modest comb development. I'm not sure of the gender on this bird. I'm hoping it is a pullet and I can keep it with the foofy-faced Easter Marans.

I'll try to get some pix....
Old 08-04-2013, 06:24 PM

The hatchlings have now all feathered out. They are seven weeks. They still all squeeze into the basket, which I set back in to the garden shed, each night with Sonja.

However, they have shown that they are adept at lightning foodgrab strikes right under the beaks of the 'mean girl' biddies. Sonja has taught them well and although I've only managed to handle one of them, they are unafraid of me and have learned to expect treats and to beg at the back door. They'll now eat from my hand...or snatch goodies from the beak of an unawares biddy.

Allah the kids on my lawn.

Polishing off the tin of catfood.

The hatchlings, milling about my feet. The two at five o'clock are my two suspected pullets. The Turkomarans on the six o'clock side and the Easter Marans on the four o'clock side. Noon and nine are pretty good bets to be cockerels...baby roos. The hatchling there at 10:30 is difficult to determine. It has more of a gold tone on the head feathering and it covers the head and extends down to the shoulders, like a mantle. There is comb development, but it is between that of the suspected pullets (5 o'clockers) and that of nine o'clock, a pretty sure bet of a babyroo. I'm hoping that 'gold mantle' turns out to be a pullet.

Of course, they are all direct relatives of Eleanor, my Black Copper Marans hen:

Eleanor is a sister to Junior, their father.

Boss chicken around these parts is Ingrid, the EasterEgger:

Chance, my Welsummer, is the Executive Hen:

Curiously, Ingrid used to be the meanest girl, but that torch has passed to Eleanor after Ingrid could use the garden shed to lay her eggs. Eleanor does, too, but getting that access did not change her demeanor. Eleanor is now the chief bully and consequently gets the most squirt bottle action...which is why she looks so tenative in her first pic; she doesn't like to have anything pointed at her now. Chance, however, got early acceptance from Sonja to graze with the chicks....she doesn't even bother with annoying the chicks.

So...The Turkomarans has a home. She'll be going to my former feathering co-conspirators to a larger flock on a larger chunk of property...with goats! I'm hoping to keep the Easter Marans pullet and the gold mantled Marans mutt (I think it's a Welsummer trait pushing through all that Marans hereditary material) that I hope is a pullet. The boys will be "going on mission".

Oh, yeah...

Picard keeps a close watch on everything from inside the back screen door. He really thinks that he should be allowed to go out and play with all those peepers.

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 08-04-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (08-04-2013), Demimonde (08-04-2013), Janet (08-07-2013), livius drusus (08-05-2013), Sauron (08-25-2013), Watser? (08-12-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM

While communing with the new little flock, I noticed that Sonja is starting to get that glossy feather look that indicates that her post-hatch molt is over. Then, she gave me the most extravagant 'rooster-squat' I've ever seen with one of my hens. Her comb is not yet flushed out, but I'd bet that within the week, I'll be seeing the return of nice, standard brown (i.e., lighter than all my other lain brown eggs) eggs to the collection.

The little Turkomarans is going to her new home this evening.

The babyroo with the comb and wattles has a possible home and, after putting out word on the local backyard chicken list, I've a nibble on rehoming the EasterEgger babyroo.
livius drusus (08-14-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM

I wondered how the whole brooding process would end. Now I know.

Yesterday evening, I went out at a bit before dusk to close Sonja and the brood into the garden shed. I'd already changed out the soiled hay in the basket and installed a bar between two chairs for makeshift roosting, which it had looked as if Sonja had been teaching them the roosting thing on the exterior basket handles. No Sonja. No chicks.

Hmmm...The biddies were all up in the awning rafters, as per usual. But wait...There's Sonja, with the biddies. Still, no hatchlings to be seen.

So I stood on the garden shed porch and talked to myself of a spell and they started streaming in from what I guess was the tree. I got some scratch and enticed them into the shed (for their own safety).

Today, I saw Sonja peck one of the hatchlings and she most definitely did not 'hang' with them at all. She no longer dropped them bits of bread treats, either.

Olaf and Akmed are on their own. As are the two little pullets.

Tan eggs....soon.
Janet (08-09-2013), livius drusus (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 PM

Tan eggs! Sonja is back in the nest.
livius drusus (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Huzzah! Did you celebrate with a delicious omelet?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 AM

Not yet....sometime soon. Another today.

Soon, I shall be as blase' about tan eggs as I am about green ones.
Janet (08-14-2013), livius drusus (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:59 AM

I now have two flocks, one of hens and one of pullets and cockerels. Four birds each. The younger birds keep to the arbor area, while the older girls go pretty much where they want and monopolize the composter and the tree along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

That will change soon enough. We're contemplating the departure of Olaf. He is being trialed as a 'companion' bird for a Cochin hen in the exurbs. Akmed had one nibble of interest from a tender looking to replace a lost roo, but they have not responded to my follow-up of photos. I get the impression that his EE bona fides were the interest point....but then, EEs are mutts to being with...they just have foofy faces and the hens lay interesting colored eggs. The downside seemed to be his tender age.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 AM

The youngsters have successfully been changed to in the hencondo at night. It took three nights of hand carrying each one from the porch of the garden shed, in the dark, to the hencondo.
ceptimus (08-21-2013), Janet (08-21-2013), livius drusus (08-21-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 AM

Backsliders!

They only went to the hencondo for three nights running. Then they went back to the prunings on the shed porch railing. I suspect that they didn't like the feeling of being trapped in a confined space with Ingrid and Eleanor, who don't tend to be delicate about their opinions. *sigh* Now I have to handle all eight birds every evening after darkness falls.

The nibble of interest in Akmed has become more concrete and I got a request for directions. I'm waiting for a time set. If this comes off, he'll be going 'up the river' to Washougal, on the Washington side of the Columbia, near the western end of the Columbia River Gorge.

I've settled on 'Cocoa' as a name for my EasterMarans pullet, and 'D'Ora' for my BlackSummer Marans. At this point, they'll be staying. Big hopes are riding on Cocoa...'olive' eggs. For them, learning to coop with the big girls is a necessity. Of course, they may just take to roosting in the awning braces like the biddies. *sigh*

Swimmer seems to think that a new coop, out next to the garden shed, where 'Camp Scratch' used to be erected, will help solve what she considers to be the chickenshit problem on the balcony...and, maybe, saving the hencondo for a brooder. I'm still ambivalent about the whole project.

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 08-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Thanks, from:
livius drusus (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 AM

Akmed, up close and personal:

With D'Ora:

His sister, Cocoa, also a Black EasterMarans:

Picard, by the way, has been having great fun chasing hens, pullets and cockerels. He's been allowed unleashed access to the backyard. So far, all I'm getting is exercised animals, which is fine. Picard spends the afternoon sleeping off his morning, so the chooks get respite from the harrassment.

Still, D'Ora and Cocoa look a little 'jumpy' here, crossing open ground in warzone:

Janet (09-05-2013), JoeP (09-02-2013), livius drusus (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 AM

I love seeing them at this age. I think it's their most dinosaur-like stage.
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (09-27-2013), godfry n. glad (09-02-2013), Janet (09-05-2013), JoeP (09-02-2013), Miisa (09-02-2013), SR71 (09-08-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
I love seeing them at this age. I think it's their most dinosaur-like stage.
And we all know why that's a good thing.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Janet (09-05-2013), livius drusus (09-02-2013), Miisa (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Akmed, up close and personal:
Akmed?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
godfry n. glad (09-02-2013), livius drusus (09-02-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 01:39 AM
improperly uses ellipses....... with panache

flock of 16 arrived yesterday, experiencing their first ever contact with the ground, scratching and snatching bugs outta nowhere...

they are very hard to photograph, they are even harder to catch in order to get them back in the coop at dusk.... I cannot tell you anything else except chicken chores added to horse and other chores have pretty much cleaned my clock....

they make a very sweet sound ... well, not so much when I am attempting to lay hands on them...but they seem to be adapting well...

BrotherMan (09-05-2013), ceptimus (09-05-2013), Janet (09-05-2013), livius drusus (09-05-2013), Qingdai (09-05-2013), SR71 (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 AM

Aw, crap...Akmed disappeared last night. We got a call from the neighbors saying that there was a lot of chicken noise in the back yard....by the time I got there, the youngbloods were all shaken up and ambling about in the semi-darkness (semi- after I turned some lights on). I couldn't take stock until the morning...only three youngbloods, with Akmed missing and black feathers laying about their unauthorized evening roosting area....

*sigh*

Sometimes I think I'm just the KFC outlet for the local raccoon population.

ETA: BUT WAIT! He showed up this evening...I have all my chickens. Maybe not all my marbles, but I've still got all my chickens. Akmed is missing a few tailfeathers, but he seems none the worse than that for wear.

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 09-05-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (09-05-2013), irukandji (09-05-2013), Janet (09-05-2013), JoeP (09-05-2013), livius drusus (09-05-2013), Qingdai (09-05-2013), Sauron (08-06-2014), SR71 (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Roosters will try to fight off a raccoon.

Prepare to turn your computer sideways to view images.

Buff orrpingtons wonder how much crack (corn) this photo assignment will win them.

Duck attack!

That's Dorothy, the calmest of the indian runner ducks.
ceptimus (09-05-2013), Demimonde (09-05-2013), godfry n. glad (09-05-2013), irukandji (09-05-2013), Janet (09-05-2013), livius drusus (09-05-2013), One for Sorrow (09-05-2013), SR71 (09-21-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Orps are so round and squeezlable. :smitten:
Thanks, from:
Qingdai (09-06-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 PM

Pillow fight!

Hey, at least I no longer have to task myself to hunt down Ingrid's latest ovation location. I stopped getting green eggs last week and was getting set to search. Then, we had a nighttime kerfuffle that left one of my cockerels a little light in the tail. And then, I started seeing whitish/goldish feathers. I thought I was having some interloper....but then, as more down-like feathers appeared, in all places in the garden, it dawned on me. Ingrid had started moulting. She's losing feathers; she ceased laying. She's a week earlier than last year, which was a week earlier than the previous year. Of course, she's pushing seven and still laying loverly pastel green eggs. These days, she's alpha bird, too.

Anyway, she's continued to lose feathers and, since they are light colored (she's my blonde), they show up rather distinctly....the red and black featherings tend to blend in much quicker. So, my garden looks like the scene of a recent pillow fight where a pillow took the worst of it.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

Sometimes when the chickens (now ducks) molt, it looks like a third fowl exploded in our yard. Good times, good times.
SR71 (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 03:05 AM

Yeah...and I'll not be seeing any more green eggs until at soonest next February.

Washougal is coming to pick out a babyroo midweek. That's a positive.
Janet (09-10-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

:sylvester:

:catcollar::catjack::2faces::bagcat::mooncat: :fallcat: :catplay::cat::putercat:

:felix:

:catcollar::catjack::2faces::bagcat::mooncat: :fallcat: :catplay::cat::putercat:
ceptimus (09-21-2013), Janet (09-21-2013), livius drusus (09-23-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 PM

O, my....Strident demands for chix pix.

Well, I'll see what I can do. I've still got all eight chickens, as the cockerel fetcher delayed until this coming Tuesday, when she'll be in town for a dental appointment, any way. Olaf and Akmed as doing just fine....from what Swimmer sez, Olaf is practicing his smoove moves with the pullets. Still, I've not heard any practice crows...yet. I note that Akmed is now physically a mite bit larger than Olaf.

Ingrid looks like hell because she's in the depths of a full molt. It's funny that she's a lot more 'shy & retiring' when she's molting; it's like she's ashamed of her condition.

A new coop is loaded on a FedEx transport somewhere, headed in my direction. Reputedly, Swimmer has a young buck with tools and mechanical skills all lined up to assemble it for us.
livius drusus (09-23-2013), SR71 (09-22-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM

So...we had some puddle-filling weather with autumn entering right on cue. It held off pix.

The elders are doing well, although both Ingrid and Eleanor are now molting.

The white feather littering has dissipated and now we have black feathers showing up. No more nice smooth dark brown eggs, either. I'm down to speckled terra cotta and tan brown. I'm hoping that Cocoa will produce her first eggs before next spring, but I think it will be a long shot. I do remember Sonja producing her first egg on winter solstice.

Nice close pic of Cocoa on the fence. Still no beard, although her muffs are decent.

Cocoa carries some big expectations from me...I'm hoping for 'olive eggs', brown on green.

Dora has a smallish comb coming in and the beginnings of wattles. I'm still betting that her momma was a Welsummer (like Chance).

Cocoa hangin' on the fencetop under the snowbell with Olaf.

The youngbloods on a parade out of the Ho Chih Minh Trail on to the patio, Cocoa in the lead, followed by Akmed, Olaf, and Dora bringing up the rear. You can see that the two males have a lot more red feathering, particularly on their backs, which will be transforming dramatically in the next couple of months.

Olaf was feeling particularly photogenic in this session (Akmed kept to the background):

He has the traditional Black Copper Marans (BCM) shank feathers, the feathers on his legs. He got that and his coloring from his father, Junior, a full-blooded BCM. Akmed, who is half EE and half BCM, does not have the shank feathering. Cocoa, who is half EE like Akmed has the shank feathers. Eleanor, my BCM hen, is full BCM and has all the requisite traits, including the shank feathers.

Reputedly, at least one of the cockerels is to be rehomed tomorrow (third time's a charm and all that rot). I think she was interested in the EE/BCM cross for her EE hens. We'll see. She has her choice of either or both.

Last edited by godfry n. glad; 09-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (09-27-2013), ChuckF (10-23-2013), Janet (09-27-2013), JoeP (09-28-2013), livius drusus (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 AM

They're all gorgeous. Cocoa on the fence is making love to the camera like a supermodel.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-30-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium