Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Oh, brilliant.

Default Re: Vive la Resistance! aka non-Trump US politics

Welp, Warren is definitely running in 2020:

Nicely Played, Senator Warren – Balloon Juice

Good.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Fool’s Gold · last.fm · soundcloud · Marathon Chronicles
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-15-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-15-2018), lisarea (10-16-2018), Sock Puppet (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 PM
I'm a regular Victor Victoria

71 years old.

Ambivalent.

:BC: :canada:
Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 PM
[thanks] whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Ambivalent.
Is she?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (10-15-2018), The Man (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Quote:
Ambivalent.
Is she?

African or European?

Thanks, from:
The Man (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:33 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
71 years old.

Ambivalent.
I'm assuming you're ambivalent, because I doubt Warren is. Conventional wisdom says she's either going to run this next election, or remain happily at the Senate until she retires.
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (10-15-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-16-2018), The Man (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
71 years old.

Ambivalent.
I'm assuming you're ambivalent
Ya. There I went too minimalist on the internet again. :derp:

Thanks, from:
The Man (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 PM
Awaiting public amnesia to expurgate the immediacy of my sins

Meh, if she were a dude I'd be more concerned about age. Plus, she's smart enough to pick a running mate who isn't completely useless.
JoeP (10-16-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-16-2018), slimshady2357 (10-16-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-16-2018), The Man (10-15-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:41 AM

Big thrad:

Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-16-2018), slimshady2357 (10-16-2018), Sock Puppet (10-16-2018), The Man (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Now that Ralph Nader is endorsing Michael fucking Bloomberg as someone Democrats should nominate in 2020, can we all agree that he's been trash for decades?

I understand people thought he was a big lefty and that's why he ran in 2000, but aside from a couple of issues, it was really more just that he hates Democrats. Which is why endorsing a centrist who spent a lot of time as an independent makes sense for him.

Ralph Nader touts Bloomberg 2020
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-16-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-16-2018), Sock Puppet (10-16-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-16-2018), The Man (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Now that Ralph Nader is endorsing Michael fucking Bloomberg
I started laughing at the absurdity right here.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 AM
[thanks] whisperer

Quote:
Speaking of family stories, @realDonaldTrump has one, too. It's the story of a second-generation tax cheat who was handed a $413 million inheritance through rich-guy loopholes and outright criminal fraud.
If only anyone thought that was a bad thing.

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Refreshingly Stupid

Cherokee Nation: Warren's use of DNA test 'inappropriate,' 'wrong' | TheHill

Oofa.

Quote:
71 years old.
:yup:

And even now, before announcing, she's playing the game on Trump's terms. A lot can happen between now and November 2020, of course, but the Dems nominating Warren could well be the path of least resistance to a Trump reelection (although Sock is surely right that Warren would make a much better running mate choice than Clinton did).

It looks like the GOP is going to pick up at least one seat in the U.S. Senate this year. Warren is needed in the Senate more than ever.

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (10-16-2018), SR71 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Refreshingly Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Now that Ralph Nader is endorsing Michael fucking Bloomberg as someone Democrats should nominate in 2020, can we all agree that he's been trash for decades?
Even if Nader hadn't otherwise been trash for decades, this endorsement would travel back in time and render the "trash for decades" statement true.

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
erimir (10-18-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Stoic Derelict

A guy on my block is running as Democrat for congress. He's a second generation Korean. He has gazillions of signs all over the district. I haven't seen a single yard sign for the incumbent republican, McArthur. Does that mean anything? idk
I hope he wins. I'm sick of McArthr's emails bleating and mewling about bipartisanship. I'd like to know what he thinks about all the untruth and insanity issuing forth from Dear Leader.
Crumb (10-16-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-16-2018), slimshady2357 (10-16-2018), Sock Puppet (10-16-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-16-2018), The Man (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Refreshingly Stupid

If 538 has any credibility left, your neighbor is running a hell of a campaign. A big push from now until election day might just flip that seat, which a big deal since wresting control of the U.S. House of Representatives is likely the last chance to even slow down the crazy train.

Thanks, from:
SR71 (10-18-2018), The Man (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:03 PM
more of a before rehab friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
If 538 has any credibility left, your neighbor is running a hell of a campaign. A big push from now until election day might just flip that seat, which a big deal since wresting control of the U.S. House of Representatives is likely the last chance to even slow down the crazy train.
What the fuck happened on September 23?
Crumb (10-16-2018), lisarea (10-16-2018), SR71 (10-18-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-16-2018), The Man (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Refreshingly Stupid

That's an interesting question! SR71, did a certain Republican incumbent accidentally get his dick stuck in a zoo animal on or about 9/23?

Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (10-16-2018), Sock Puppet (10-17-2018), SR71 (10-18-2018), The Man (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 AM

Siena/NYT did a live poll that started on Sept 22, and it was added to the average on Sept 24.

They actually had a ridiculously good result initially, showing Kim ahead by over 20 pts. But eventually as they did more calls and finished out the poll, they ended with a merely really good result (Kim +10).

This caused such a huge change because most of the previous polls showed a much closer race AND most of them were partisan-affiliated polls, which get less weight. And most of them were a lot older. The weight put on polls relative to other factors increases significantly as you get into the final couple months of the race, and the confidence intervals narrow as well because instead of having only the error associated with the polling itself, it's possible or even likely the race will change when you have months left. (That is, the poll may be an accurate snapshot of how people feel at that time, but people's feelings will change.)

There are a couple reasons the Siena poll could've shown such a large shift from previous polls. One is that people start paying a lot more attention after Labor Day, and so some people who might've said "eh, I'll vote for whoever's in there" in June, by September have realized "Oh, I don't like what MacArthur's been up to*, so I'll vote for the other guy actually".

The other is that the MacArthur campaign was sending around a flyer calling Kim fishy with a picture of fish that evoke an Asian market the week before. It almost would've been subtle enough to deny it was racist, except they paired it with a blatant "Oriental" font. That probably would work in a lot of places, but New Jersey is maybe not the best place to run with that?

A short term effect caused by the racist flyers would be consistent with the next two polls showing a close race though. Otherwise I'm gonna go with "people were just tuning into the election" and that's why Siena got such a good result for Kim, particularly if more polling shows a significant lead for Kim.

Anyway, aside from winning the seat (it's possible that Democrats will win 8 or more of the 23 seats they need to flip the House just in New Jersey and Pennsylvania) being good just for the one seat...

*MacArthur is the asshole who wrote the amendment to the GOP health care bill that gutted protections for pre-existing conditions, which because the GOP is so fucking awful actually revived their ACA repeal push. So that would make his defeat particularly sweet. Fuck MacArthur and call out his claims of bipartisanship for the bullshit they are. There's a reason he resigned his chairmanship of the "centrist" GOP Tuesday Group caucus after writing that amendment because even they couldn't buy his bullshit anymore.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-17-2018), Ensign Steve (10-17-2018), lisarea (10-17-2018), SR71 (10-18-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-17-2018), The Man (10-17-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:31 AM

I was told some... "interesting" information by the Republican volunteer outside my early voting site:
  • 90% of all crime is drug-related
  • John McCain did not really die of brain cancer
  • McCain was controlled by the Saudis (however, Trump's behavior regarding Khashoggi is "a complicated situation")
  • McCain actually died because he was found guilty of treason by a military tribunal and executed
  • Jews don't really control Israel, it is controlled by fake Jews called "Khazarians" who worship the devil and came from Kazakhstan in the 1100s
  • Jared Kushner is one of them, but he might not be evil because they're not ALL evil
  • But, he conceded that since Khazarians worship the devil, and the devil is indeed very evil, Jared very well might be evil too

:whatthefuck:
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (Yesterday), Crumb (10-19-2018), Dragar (10-19-2018), JoeP (10-19-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-19-2018), lisarea (10-19-2018), Pan Narrans (10-19-2018), slimshady2357 (10-19-2018), Sock Puppet (10-19-2018), SR71 (10-19-2018), Stephen Maturin (10-19-2018), The Man (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:05 AM
[thanks] whisperer

That. Is. Awesome.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law