Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

Video pibble has a deadly combination of ears, eyes and throat. Thank you for the warning, Bort. Had I been standing I most surely would have broken something. :ohgod:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Since I owe you guys a cute Zsa Zsa story.

Matlock is sitting on the living room floor right now, playing video games. Just now, I looked down the hall and saw Zsa Zsa stalking him. She was all low to the ground, watching him from the cover of the stair rails, and slowly approaching him. Then, when the time was right, she burst into that floppy running thing that dogs do when they're happy and playing, and did a surprise kiss attack on his face.

Zsa Zsa is the best floppy runner ever. She is the best of all dogs, so suck on that, ear queens!
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-19-2012), Crumb (02-20-2012), Demimonde (02-19-2012), Janet (02-21-2012), livius drusus (02-19-2012), PopeyesPappy (02-20-2012), SharonDee (02-19-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), SR71 (02-19-2012), vremya (02-19-2012), Watser? (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

IF I HAD MOER PICTURES OF ZZ I WOULDN'T HAVE TO RESORT TO THE YOUTUBS TO GET MY FIX.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-19-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 AM
some kind of demographic homunculus

Pops was a world class stalker back before age and old racing injuries took their toll on him. Here he is stalking his sister Glo Bug. She was a favorite target of his. Mostly because she absolutely hated it….

If you look closely at his hocks you can see the scars on both back legs from the surgeries to fix the broken bones. :(

Last edited by PopeyesPappy; 02-20-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-20-2012), livius drusus (02-20-2012), SharonDee (02-20-2012), Sock Puppet (02-20-2012), Stephen Maturin (02-21-2012), Vivisectus (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Greyhounds look a bit ridiculous from that angle, because they remind me of bodybuilders who have built up so much upper body muscle that their heads look tiny. Pibbles, on the other hand, are well-proportioned dogs, with their head large enough to make the body look well proportioned (except for the outlier dogs like Tatonka-and you can't tell from the photographs just how odd that big head looks on his body)

Not wanting to start a dog fight here, just noticing things.

Today I give Mrs. Tallula Bankhead an oatmeal bath. I haven't been able to reduce the itchiness enough to stop the scratching, so I'm going to give this a try.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:32 PM

They do have some thunder thighs don’t they? Keep in mind though that these dogs were professional athletes. High protein diets and lots of exercise lead to body fat ratios that most bodybuilders would be very happy with. Having said that some of these pictures were taken within months of the end of their racing careers. A couple of years of lounging around on the couch and they tend to lose a little muscle tone and add some fat. Pops tends to control his own weight fairly well but Glo and Gif would blow up like balloons if we let them eat as much as they wanted.

Thanks, from:
livius drusus (02-20-2012), S.Vashti (02-20-2012), Stephen Maturin (02-21-2012), Vivisectus (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

They look like you might want to bring a car if you want to take them for a run! Holy cow that is one muscly dog.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM

I went from having a greyhound with a head like a knitting needle to having an American bulldog with a head like a cinderblock. I never really got over how weird looking either of them were.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Holy cow that is one muscly dog.
It helps that she is practically hairless in the photo. She was Hypothyroid when we got her. It’s very easy and cheep to treat though. After a year or so on soloxine her coat was thick, full and very soft.

Thanks, from:
livius drusus (02-20-2012), Vivisectus (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Tallula is eating her meals in under a minute (heaping cup and 1/2). Is this too fast?

Also, she's growling out the window at the school crossing guard-and also adult size people. Smaller people she seems fine with. How much should I be concerned. She's also tried barking, but I think something's wrong with her voice box-maybe tampered with earlier in her life? It's not strong at all, and very gravelly. Not like the other pibbles at the shelter, in fact.

The oatmeal bath* went fine. But she's still scratching, on 32mg of Benadryl 3x daily.

*this is powdered oatmeal in tepid water, sopped all over her with a washcloth and not rinsed off.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Tallula is eating her meals in under a minute (heaping cup and 1/2). Is this too fast?
lol noob

Quote:
Also, she's growling out the window at the school crossing guard-and also adult size people.
lol noob

Quote:
Smaller people she seems fine with. How much should I be concerned. She's also tried barking, but I think something's wrong with her voice box-maybe tampered with earlier in her life? It's not strong at all, and very gravelly. Not like the other pibbles at the shelter, in fact.
She is a guard-dog doing her thing. Let her! Just do not allow actual aggression. Challenging strangers is natural and laudable. Aggression is a different matter.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 PM

also, lol noob!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM

I don't know if that is too fast, but if you're worried about bloat (which would be what overeating or too fast eating could cause), you can get special dog bowls with segments or bumps in the bottom that slow them down, or alternately, put her dinner in a Kong and make her work for it.

On the growling, totally concurred that it's normal for her to guard her property. Even Z, who is the sweetest, gentlest, most human friendly dog in the world, will alert to people outside by barking or growling. She's just letting us know, I guess, because even if they just walk right in without knocking, her demeanor changes right back to HI HOW ARE YOU HERE IS MY BELLY.

To be on the safe side, though, I don't think anyone can tell for sure without some kind of visual to see if she's still cute and whatnot.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-20-2012), Demimonde (02-20-2012), livius drusus (02-21-2012), S.Vashti (02-21-2012), Sock Puppet (02-21-2012), Stephen Maturin (02-20-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
also, lol noob!
:glare:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-21-2012), Vivisectus (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 AM

Yes, in fact, I am new to dog keeping. The last dog we had as a family was over 40 years ago, and Jason was far more difficult than Tallula. Really, this dog is awfully easy-rarely barks, likes everybody, even strangers that come in the house (my sister has book study with her church, and Tally was magnanimous in her greetings), doesn't poop or pee except out of doors.

When I look at Tallula growling, she's not showing aggression, only heightened vigilance. I even touched her on the shoulder when she was doing this, and got nothing but a wagged tail. She's rather smart, knows sit and stay, and almost knows down. I'd like to teach her to heel, since she's a very strong puller, and leave the running to the dog park (she's going tomorrow). But heeling is not good yet, as she has trouble following any direction when out on the leash. It's the distractions.

:sad: She's not cute, she's red, hot, and tolerating it. I'll do another oatmeal soak tomorrow, since there are fewer hot spots on her today. I feel very badly for her.

Karen said we should call her Pinky. OK, she is still cute, but I think I'm failing at being a good dog keeper.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-21-2012), lisarea (02-21-2012), livius drusus (02-21-2012), Sock Puppet (02-21-2012), Vivisectus (02-21-2012), vremya (02-21-2012), Watser? (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

You aren't failing. You are a super awesome person for adopting a special needs pup to begin with and are devoted to helping her be comfortable. Even if you are still working on figuring it all out, it sounds like you have a good girl and are doing everything to help her. The adjustment period is usually hard and can be really frustrating with any dog, let alone one with health issues. You seem committed to working through it and that is success right there. :nod:

I am sure that the oat meal soaks will help make her feel better. Be sure not to shampoo too much though, or it can dry out their skin. They need their natural oils but a soak won't hurt that. If she does have hot spots that are infected and spreading, it would be best not to get her wet. That needs antibiotics and our vet gives us a hot spot spray which is astringent and dries out the area so it can heal. Keep an eye on the boo-boos and if they start growing bigger or look infected she will need another trip to the vet.

I have had to deal with those issues with my boy, and it is so frustrating and heartbreaking. But it can be overcome. For regular sore spots that aren't infected, I have also found that after a soak, mixing in some hydro-cortisone cream into a nice conditioner, rubbing that in, and letting it stay on their skin for ten-fifteen minutes before rinsing helps. Dante has seasonal contact allergies, not food allergies, so I am not sure how much of a difference that would make.

Keep up the good work and don't be hard on yourself. Tallula is a lucky girl.
livius drusus (02-21-2012), S.Vashti (02-21-2012), SharonDee (02-21-2012), Sock Puppet (02-21-2012), Vivisectus (02-21-2012), vremya (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
:sad: She's not cute, she's red, hot, and tolerating it. I'll do another oatmeal soak tomorrow, since there are fewer hot spots on her today. I feel very badly for her.

Karen said we should call her Pinky. OK, she is still cute, but I think I'm failing at being a good dog keeper.
Allergies are really really tough, so don't feel like you're failing. The vet hasn't figured it out yet, either, so don't beat yourself up for not figuring it out yourself.

Sluggo had allergies all his life that we never got totally figured out, and Zsa Zsa has them too. She had a pretty scary looking reaction not long ago where she broke out in big itchy all-over bumps that only went down with a course of prednisone. We don't know what caused it or how to prevent it happening again. Not from want of trying, but just because these things are really hard to pin down to the point that they can be managed properly.

You're doing really well by her, so please don't feel like you're being negligent or anything like that. You're the opposite of negligent. You're incredibly conscientious, and Tallulah couldn't have asked for a better family.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-21-2012), PopeyesPappy (02-21-2012), S.Vashti (02-21-2012), SharonDee (02-21-2012), Sock Puppet (02-21-2012), Vivisectus (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
Yes, in fact, I am new to dog keeping. The last dog we had as a family was over 40 years ago, and Jason was far more difficult than Tallula. Really, this dog is awfully easy-rarely barks, likes everybody, even strangers that come in the house (my sister has book study with her church, and Tally was magnanimous in her greetings), doesn't poop or pee except out of doors.

When I look at Tallula growling, she's not showing aggression, only heightened vigilance. I even touched her on the shoulder when she was doing this, and got nothing but a wagged tail. She's rather smart, knows sit and stay, and almost knows down. I'd like to teach her to heel, since she's a very strong puller, and leave the running to the dog park (she's going tomorrow). But heeling is not good yet, as she has trouble following any direction when out on the leash. It's the distractions.

Looks like you have a good dog there that is doing her job and is not aggressive - just what you want. I found that spending about 30 minutes a day training helps the dog settle in, as it gives her something to do and a means to gain your attention and approval, which can be important for them as they are finding their place in your family.

Hang in there with the allergies, or whatever that is. Can you go and see a vet sooner so you can start with a professional opinion and then try to figure out what works from there?

As for not being a good dog-keeper, the simple attention and care you show puts you ahead of about 95% of dog owners. She will have a fine life indeed, against all the odds.
Thanks, from:
S.Vashti (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the advice, folks. We see the vet Saturday morning, and since she hasn't drawn blood from scratching, and can go to sleep for long periods, I'm going to wait until then, with a steady medicine routine, and daily oatmeal soaks (no shampoo, just sitting in tepid water for 10-15 min). It may be of more concern to me than Tally, since she seems able to stop and do other things that attract her attention.

I've had allergies my whole life, so know a bit about what she is going through. Funnily enough, I too broke out once in all-over bumpy patches that were dealt with by prednisone. I hope it doesn't come to that and maybe a single cortisone shot will help. (I hate the side effects of prednisone.)

I'm glad what I'm doing is considered adequate, since my philosophy is that caring for others of this nature (pets) is a full on responsibility that to shirk would be unethical. Don't hurt those in your care, unless it's necessary for their health and well-being.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (02-21-2012), lisarea (02-21-2012), livius drusus (02-21-2012), PopeyesPappy (02-22-2012), SharonDee (02-21-2012), Watser? (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM

Oh wow, Chris! That last line should be put on a sampler or something. Very well said.
S.Vashti (02-21-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 AM

Yesterday was crazy. I had a woman-parts doctor's appointment, Tibey had a vet appointment and then we had an 8:00 training class last night.

At the vet's, while they had him in back (without me) to weigh him and inoculate him and poke things in his butt, he lunged at a vet tech. They said there was no warning, he was just sweet as pie and then--bam!--he tried to take her face off.

When they brought him back to the examining room where I waited, he was visibly upset and was wearing a muzzle. He growled menacingly while they held him down and finished his examination. I was mortified. He'd been so sweet with me, both at home and at the Pet Smart the day before.

I almost backed out of taking him to class last night, afraid that he'd repeat the performance in front of God (aka Teacher) and everybody. First, it turned out that he was the only pupil so no dog aggression fears, at least. Second, when I related the story and offered to take Tibey back home if they'd just refund the fee, the teacher said that wasn't necessary. She rolled her eyes and said, "That tech did something to set him off. We can't know what since you didn't witness it but he is obviously a well-behaved boy. Let's get started."

And of course, he behaved himself beautifully with her, showing off all the moves someone in his past had obviously taught him. He did Sit and Down and Leave It with very little insistence from her. She also took him through some Heel paces and he needed work there--DOES he!--but he shows lots of promise. I beamed proudly; you'd think I'd had something to do with it.

So. Dunno what happened at the vet yesterday. I just hope it doesn't happen again on Friday when I take him back for his ball-ectomy.
Crumb (02-22-2012), Demimonde (02-22-2012), lisarea (02-22-2012), Sock Puppet (02-22-2012), SR71 (02-23-2012), vremya (02-22-2012), Watser? (02-22-2012), Ymir's blood (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 AM

The guy I work with just informed me that I have been volunteered to help drive his daughter’s dogs, a great dane and a 3 legged lab, from here to San Mateo, CA. 2,292 miles and 37 hours seat time.

We are going to have to talk about this one….

Thanks, from:
lisarea (02-22-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM

Approve Re: An Arf-Arf Here and a Meow-Meow There... E I E I O!

I'm quickly falling in love with my big guy. He has such impeccable indoor manners. Now if I could just get him to behave outside! That is something we'll be working on.

Meanwhile, I had to share this story.

This morning Tibey had his toy and, as usual, I held out my hand and demanded "Drop it." (We're working on that.) He did drop it but, again as usual, it landed out of my reach. But THEN! He put his big head into my outstretched hand and looked up at me so sweetly!

Did I melt? You betcha! :melts:
BrotherMan (02-29-2012), Demimonde (02-29-2012), Janet (02-29-2012), lisarea (02-29-2012), livius drusus (02-29-2012), Sock Puppet (02-29-2012), vremya (03-01-2012), Watser? (02-29-2012), Ymir's blood (03-01-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

How did the ballectomy go?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM

He made it through with flying colors. I didn't realize it cost so much to neuter an animal when he gets that big, but I guess I should have figured. Plus, I had it done at my regular vet instead of a fly-by-night place so ... sticker shock!
livius drusus (02-29-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle