Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Yes, that one.

Default Fundies invent creepy new ceremony

No sex please, we're daddy's little girls (AFP via Yahoo)

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) - It has all the ingredients of a wedding. The proud tuxedo-clad father, the frosted white cake, the limousines and an exchange of vows.

But there is no groom and the girl in the long gown is no bride. She's daddy's little girl, there to take a vow of chastity.

In what is becoming a trend among conservative Christians in the United States, girls as young as nine are pledging to their fathers to remain virgins until they wed, in elaborate ceremonies dubbed "Purity Balls."

The gala affairs are intended to celebrate the father-daughter relationship.

The highlight is when the fathers and daughters exchange vows, with dad signing a covenant to protect his daughter's chastity by living an unblemished life and the daughter promising not to have sex until marriage.

Get a load of the picture at the link. :eek:

Quote:

One study conducted by researchers at the universities of Columbia and Yale found that 88 percent of pledgers wind up having sex before marriage.

"Unfortunately these young people tend, once they start to have sex, to have more partners in a shorter period of time and to use contraception much less than their non-pledging peers," said Debra Hauser, executive vice president at Advocates for Youth, a Washington-based non-profit organization.

"Teens may pledge with the best of intention... and then as they break their pledges they are so shamed and embarrassed that it's unlikely they will go for help."
Any ex-fundies here who can tell me more?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Fundies invent creepy new ceremony

Is a child that young even able to comprehend the kind of commitment they are making to their father? I am sure that will cause a lot of family heartache, if/when the daughter decides to go against her vows.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

:beavis:

If kids pledging something they don't fully understand because their parents want them too actually worked there would be few drug users.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:00 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Creepy is definitely the right word for it. Reading it gave me the ickies.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:24 AM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul Alhazred View Post
No sex please, we're daddy's little girls (AFP via Yahoo)

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) - It has all the ingredients of a wedding. The proud tuxedo-clad father, the frosted white cake, the limousines and an exchange of vows.

But there is no groom and the girl in the long gown is no bride. She's daddy's little girl, there to take a vow of chastity.

In what is becoming a trend among conservative Christians in the United States, girls as young as nine are pledging to their fathers to remain virgins until they wed, in elaborate ceremonies dubbed "Purity Balls."

The gala affairs are intended to celebrate the father-daughter relationship.

The highlight is when the fathers and daughters exchange vows, with dad signing a covenant to protect his daughter's chastity by living an unblemished life and the daughter promising not to have sex until marriage.

Get a load of the picture at the link. :eek:
She's clueless and he's knee deep in de Nile.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I can't think of any modern concept that sexually objectifies girls more than the concept of 'virginity' as some precious gift that you save for your future husband. Virginity as a concept still freaks me the fuck out.

And the idea that you make some creepyassed pledge to your FATHER to preserve it actually manages to make it more disgusting and dehumanizing. How can they even argue that this stuff is somehow empowering? Completely the opposite. Not only are they measuring value by something they don't do, rather than something they do, but the celebrated be-all and end-all of these girls' self-worth is SINGLE USE, like toilet paper or something.
Thanks, from:
Ari (03-25-2007), erimir (03-28-2007), MonCapitan2002 (03-28-2007)
Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 PM

Nothing about waiting till marriage is creepy by itself, or even about promising (yourself) to do so... but to make a vow to your father is disturbing. It perpetuates the mindset that she's her father's possession until she becomes her husband's.

Why don't the boys have a ceremony like this?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Adams View Post
Nothing about waiting till marriage is creepy by itself, or even about promising (yourself) to do so... but to make a vow to your father is disturbing. It perpetuates the mindset that she's her father's possession until she becomes her husband's.
There is nothing wrong with making a decision to eschew sexual activity until a certain point. There is absolutely something wrong with the toggle-switch notion of 'virginity,' and the fact that so many people consider virginity such a strong, defining characteristic.

It's one thing to teach a child to be realistic about the physical and emotional cost of early sexual activity. It IS a pretty good idea for most people to avoid having sex too young, or too casually. But what does the concept of 'virginity' teach them? There's no nuance to that. Once your shrink wrap is removed, you lose most of your value.

So a girl who regularly engages in everything except vaginal intercourse is a shining example of purity by those standards, and a girl who engages in vaginal intercourse ONCE--even if it's against her will--is garbage. Of course these 'purity pledge' kids are promiscuous once they've had sex once. It's an on-off thing. Once they stop being chaste and lovely virgins, they're filthy, no good guttersluts.

I saw some woman on TV once illustrating why virginity is so important by taking a chocolate bar out of its wrapper, and having everyone pass it around so it got all melted and dirty and misshapen. She then asked the girls if this was the kind of 'wedding gift' they wanted to give their future husbands.

All the vacuous celebutantes in the world don't set such repulsive, inhuman standards as that. I'll take La Lohan over that empty, twittering hypocrisy any day.

Quote:
Because boys don't become filthy, worthless, used up whores when they do the booty stuff.

Duh.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:29 PM

So why does the husband's dick not look like that after a bunch of women handle it?

:whatthe:

--J.D.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Uber TechnoKiller

sick?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM

Pre-marital chasitity is not realistic, now that most women don't get married until they're in their mid-twenties or older. Do those who endorse it want their daughters to get married as teenagers (like many women did in the past, when pre-marital chastity was culturally more important)?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Just when you thought they couldn't possibly pile more guilt on early sexual experiences ...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea
I'll take La Lohan over that empty, twittering hypocrisy any day.
Yeah, me too! Red Rover Red Rover send Lindsay on over!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Adams View Post

You've never heard of a Bar Mitzveh?

Or, like in my case, first blood? In my father's eyes, I became a 'man' when I blew away my first (and only) mule deer doe (Bambi's mom) with my little Remington Model 722 .308 rifle at age 14.

I understand that some christian churches have 'confirmation' classes and the like, which is just another 'major life event' related to coming of age. They are attempting to fabricate another 'major life event' that will keep their children from acting on nature's second strongest natural impulse. Good luck with that.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 AM
El Caganer

Purity Balls: Because nine-year-olds can be counted on to keep their word until they are married.

Of course, in some parts of the South, that might only be 4-5 years away.

At least they are pledging themselves to an actual being with some influence in their lives (their father) rather than some Big Mean Sky Daddy.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:19 AM
El Caganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
You've never heard of a Bar Mitzveh?
Actually, a Ba{r|t} Mitzvah / Confirmation / Coming Of Age ceremony does the exact opposite of a Purity Ball: its message is "I now realize that I am responsible for myself" rather than "I promise that I will follow your wishes".
Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 AM

Then I gather it is better than circumcising them. . . .

--J.D.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 AM
misanthropic altruist

"Purity Balls"...funny! The name is so ridiculous that I don't think it will last for that reason.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 AM
Uber TechnoKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleth View Post
Purity Balls: Because nine-year-olds can be counted on to keep their word until they are married.

Of course, in some parts of the South, that might only be 4-5 years away.

At least they are pledging themselves to an actual being with some influence in their lives (their father) rather than some Big Mean Sky Daddy.
True. :chin:
Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Purity balls are icky.

There's something about having a 9 y/o pledge her virginity to her father that is creepily like sexualizing 9 year old girls. And involving the father in that just makes it ickier.

Why the hell would a 9 year old need to be pledging her virginity to anyone unless they thought that a 9 year old might be having sex?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
So why does the husband's dick not look like that after a bunch of women handle it?

:whatthe:
Well, if it doesn't look like that, it's because the man wisely decided to keep his "chocolate bar" (aka penis) in its "wrapper" (aka condom).

If he didn't, who knows? It might look like that after certain women handle it.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I got your purity balls... right here!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Just keep m'nose clean, egg, chips & beans, I'm always full of steam

Quote:
Parcha's oldest daughter Christy, who recently graduated from high school, is now working on a fictional book about "the emotional purity of a young girl as she grows up."
Ack! Choking ... on ... irony ... can't ... breathe ... :laughdie:

:sockpuppet:...........

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy