Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: 'Mabus'

Oh, lisarea is going to be pissed at you.
But (08-19-2011), Stormlight (08-12-2011), Vivisectus (08-12-2011), Ymir's blood (08-13-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That is creepy. I bet she's got some kind of Munchausen-by-proxy thing going on.
Says you, cat lady.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-12-2011), Clutch Munny (08-13-2011), curses (08-13-2011), LadyShea (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
And yeah, that deserves to be addressed, and the people doing the diagnosing need to be called out. Are the people doing the diagnosing serious, or are they casually tossing around terms they don't understand just to lend some faux gravitas to their opinions? And how is either one of those in any way credible or productive or useful?
Ok but then you should be consistent and do all of them. This means from now on you must object to using the words hysterical (actually quite a objectionable term when you remember it really means womb-ish), depressed, manic, crazy, hyper, deluded, alcoholic, addicted, apathetic, etc etc etc.

When I say a person is addicted to ice-lollies, do I need to be called out for misdiagnosing someone by the diagnosis-police, or do I simply describe behavior using a bit of a hyperbole?

When I call ole Mabus Schizophrenic, do I mean that he has that highly specific illness and that all people who suffer from schizophrenia are like him, or do I mean that he seems to be unable to distinguish reality from the weird little fantasy-world he has created?

People use those words colloquially, and while it is not medically correct, it does describe a certain type of behavior. When I use the term addiction wrongly to describe someones relationship with ice-lollies, am I somehow hurting all addicts in the world?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That is creepy. I bet she's got some kind of Munchausen-by-proxy thing going on.
Says you, cat lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
ice-lollies
Is this one of those British things, like a lorry, or a fanny, or a Leesifer?
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (08-13-2011), Crumb (08-12-2011), curses (08-13-2011), Deadlokd (08-13-2011), Demimonde (08-12-2011), Janet (08-12-2011), LadyShea (08-12-2011), livius drusus (08-12-2011), Naru (08-13-2011), Nullifidian (08-12-2011), Pan Narrans (08-15-2011), Stormlight (08-12-2011), Watser? (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

It would be nice if people just used "crazy" when they meant "crazy."
Mental illness or not, if your "job" is posting spam and death threats, something is certainly wrong.
Thanks, from:
Ymir's blood (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Viv isn't a Brit is he? I thought he was Dutch or Danish or some shit like that.

ETA: Viv, we call them Popsicles in the US, or maybe ice pop if one is trying really, really hard not to use a brand name
Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM
NPC

He sounds Irish.
Stormlight (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Solipsist

Dutch-Irish. The geocentric average makes him a Brit. :teacher:

And I'm sure they have ice-lollies in Ireland.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-12-2011), Anastasia Beaverhausen (08-13-2011), chunksmediocrites (08-13-2011), Crumb (08-12-2011), curses (08-13-2011), Deadlokd (08-13-2011), LadyShea (08-12-2011), livius drusus (08-12-2011), Nullifidian (08-12-2011), Pan Narrans (08-15-2011), Stormlight (08-12-2011), Watser? (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Ok but then you should be consistent and do all of them. This means from now on you must object to using the words hysterical (actually quite a objectionable term when you remember it really means womb-ish), depressed, manic, crazy, hyper, deluded, alcoholic, addicted, apathetic, etc etc etc.
Well, yeah. Probably so, at least in those cases where you're talking about a persistent psychological condition, like manic or depressed or alcoholic, and maybe even crazy, depending on how you parse it.

And anyone who uses the term hysteria as a serious assessment of someone's mental state is a ridiculous person. But you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers for its awesome passive-aggressive utility in certain circumstances.

Quote:
When I say a person is addicted to ice-lollies, do I need to be called out for misdiagnosing someone by the diagnosis-police, or do I simply describe behavior using a bit of a hyperbole?
I really don't mean this to call you out specifically. It is extraordinarily common, particularly around these parts. I've probably done it too, so I'm not attacking you. I'm just saying that I think she has a point. Pretty much every dull or argumentative person who comes trolling gets 'diagnosed' with something before long, when it'd be more effective and remotely accurate not to use some specific diagnosis as a hyperbolic burn.

Batshit would be appropriate. I think crazy is general enough to be OK, too, although there are those who disagree. Or calling out specific behaviors, rather than attaching a hackneyed medical diagnosis.

Quote:
When I call ole Mabus Schizophrenic, do I mean that he has that highly specific illness and that all people who suffer from schizophrenia are like him, or do I mean that he seems to be unable to distinguish reality from the weird little fantasy-world he has created?
See, that's the thing. I don't know what you mean by it. I'd call that 'deluded.' Apparently, there is a thing of a delusional disorder, but generally speaking, the term deluded doesn't imply a specific, organic disease or personality type. It's a specific instance of a behavior or thought process that doesn't indicate any type of disease or personality type.

I don't think it's unreasonable to at least treat someone as a putative schizophrenic if they exhibit very specific schizophrenic behaviors such as specific speech patterns or talk about influencing machines or something like that. So basically, not diagnosing them as such, but maybe avoiding doing things that would exacerbate the problem if that person were schizophrenic.

But using the term schizophrenic as a hyperbolic insult to describe someone who is being violent and irrational or something is insulting and offensive to people who are schizophrenic; and to some extent, it tends to excuse the behavior by classifying it as a disease.

Quote:
People use those words colloquially, and while it is not medically correct, it does describe a certain type of behavior. When I use the term addiction wrongly to describe someones relationship with ice-lollies, am I somehow hurting all addicts in the world?

:aristocrat:
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-12-2011), chunksmediocrites (08-13-2011), Crumb (08-12-2011), Vivisectus (08-12-2011), Ymir's blood (08-13-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I think her post, and many of her commenters (including Gurdur), are more hating on PZ than making sincere points about the treatment of the mentally ill.
Is Gurdur the one posting as dizzle fo shizzle? If so, I wouldn't have bothered interacting with him. But perhaps my posts will never make it out of moderation and I'll be spared his particular brand of aggressive idiocy.

My favorite :wtfsign: moment from him was this:

Quote:
“I haven’t seen PZ doing much whining at all.” Really? Go ahead and mention that something at Shakesville is wrong.
Yes, by all means, criticize a blog that PZ evidently doesn't follow and rarely comments on (a Google search for "Shakesville" limited to PZ's blog reveals only one—slightly critical—mention in a comments section, in response to others) and PZ will fly off the handle and ban you. This says much more about Gurdur's not-Gurdur's obsessions than PZ's.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM

But hey, I still managed almost a whole fight :) weyhey!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
Quote:
I think her post, and many of her commenters (including Gurdur), are more hating on PZ than making sincere points about the treatment of the mentally ill.
Is Gurdur the one posting as dizzle fo shizzle? If so, I wouldn't have bothered interacting with him. But perhaps my posts will never make it out of moderation and I'll be spared his particular brand of aggressive idiocy.

My favorite :wtfsign: moment from him was this:

Quote:
“I haven’t seen PZ doing much whining at all.” Really? Go ahead and mention that something at Shakesville is wrong.
Yes, by all means, criticize a blog that PZ evidently doesn't follow and rarely comments on (a Google search for "Shakesville" limited to PZ's blog reveals only one—slightly critical—mention in a comments section, in response to others) and PZ will fly off the handle and ban you. This says much more about Gurdur's obsessions than PZ's.
Nope, he posted as Gurdur and he had some tit-for-tat on another blog post linked to from that comment section. I'll find some linkies, :plzhold:

Here he has some kind of Twitfight with Dark Star/iconclasm
http://iconoclasm2000.blogspot.com/2...lth-purge.html
Thanks, from:
Naru (08-13-2011), Nullifidian (08-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Nope, he posted as Gurdur and he had some tit-for-tat on another blog post linked to from that comment section
Ah, got it. Thanks. :thankee:
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (08-12-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Strabismic Ungulate

It's good to know that Gurdur is still a fucking idiot.
Clutch Munny (08-13-2011), D. Scarlatti (08-16-2011), Deadlokd (08-13-2011), freemonkey (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Fishy mokey

He's like a standard that you can callibrate yourself to.

"I hit 80% Gurdur today! I need some (new) meds!"
Clutch Munny (08-13-2011), Corona688 (10-27-2011), D. Scarlatti (08-16-2011), Deadlokd (08-13-2011), Dingfod (08-18-2011), Naru (08-13-2011), Sock Puppet (08-15-2011), Vivisectus (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:41 AM
The King of America

NotGod Damnit!

If you say his name three times, he appears.
Deadlokd (08-13-2011), Stormlight (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

People can also have schizophrenic episodes, so it can be descriptive of a symptom as well as a disease.,
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Or he can just be a self-absorbed immature asshole.

One can only hope that his pathology is diagnosed properly and dealt with, be it a clinically valid pathology or assholednessynessthingyess.

For great justice.

--J.D.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Viv isn't a Brit is he? I thought he was Dutch or Danish or some shit like that.

ETA: Viv, we call them Popsicles in the US, or maybe ice pop if one is trying really, really hard not to use a brand name
Dutch, yeah :) I get the same here because I say garbage in stead of rubbish
Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 AM

I thought everything you say is garbage and rubbish. . . .

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (08-13-2011), Pan Narrans (08-15-2011), Vivisectus (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 AM

:drumroll: set myself up for that didn't I?
Thanks, from:
Doctor X (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 AM

:innocent2:

--J.D.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned for death threats

&ob=av2e
Those with Schizophrenia hear voices that tell them to do things (such as telling them to kill people etc). I really don't think it's apt to take the piss out of someone who is clearly unbalanced, but then that seems to be high brow and au fait on this forum so meh. :P

Mock away chavs!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 AM

:cletus:

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Man in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
Okay, I wasn't going to post this but now I have to:

Mother knows best.
Quote:
“That’s ridiculous,” she said. “(My son) would not even kill a fly."
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (08-13-2011), Doctor X (08-14-2011), Pan Narrans (08-15-2011), Sock Puppet (08-15-2011), Vivisectus (08-13-2011), vremya (08-13-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium