Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default If you have a social security number, Equifax probably just gave it away.

They waited a while to tell you, though, so some managers could dump their stock first.

You can supposedly go here to see if they compromised your information, but I don't get an answer either way.

They're also letting you sign up for one year of monitoring (that should be plenty!), but I think you have to sign away some of your rights to do it.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-08-2017), Crumb (09-08-2017), curses (09-18-2017), JoeP (09-08-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-08-2017), SR71 (09-09-2017), Stormlight (09-08-2017), The Man (09-08-2017), viscousmemories (09-16-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:43 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Default Re: If you have a social security number, Equifax probably just gave it away.

Equifax data breach help site leaves consumers with more questions than answers | TechCrunch

Quote:
Equifax says that this site will “indicate whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.” That is false as of this post’s publication. The company also says it will provide the checker with an “option” to enroll in TrustedID Premier. That’s also false. When a user inputs their data into the system, a message appears that the user can be enrolled in TrustedID Premier at a later date. Mine was 9/11/2017.

This is completely irresponsible by Equifax.

The site’s terms of service seem to state that by agreeing to use this service, the user is waving their rights to bring a class action lawsuit against Equifax.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-08-2017), Crumb (09-08-2017), curses (09-18-2017), JoeP (09-08-2017), lisarea (09-08-2017), The Man (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:32 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Default Re: If you have a social security number, Equifax probably just gave it away.

This is a good read,
Why the Equifax breach is very possibly the worst leak of personal info ever | Ars Technica

Basically they gave their security to amateurs and you shouldn't trust anything they do.
I can pretty much guarantee you that someone somewhere is trying to abuse their "checking" site to scrape the data entered on it and I don't trust them to be good enough not to do something stupid like dump data into a log or unprotected cache while the server is slammed with entries.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-08-2017), JoeP (09-09-2017), lisarea (09-09-2017), The Man (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:57 PM

I should add to that that you shouldn't ever consider your 'personal information' data that secure to begin with. the SSN system was never designed to be a secret passcode identifier, I mean the first 3 numbers of a 9 digit code are assigned based on birth place so it's really a secret 6 number code.
Thanks, from:
curses (09-18-2017), JoeP (09-09-2017), lisarea (09-09-2017), The Man (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 01:10 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

So the fine print with regard to 'signing with p for the service' has to do with TrustedID if you sign up for that, and appears to not bar you from lolsuiting Equifax.

Speaking of.

Equifax Faces Multibillion-Dollar Lawsuit Over Hack - Bloomberg

Thanks, from:
Ari (09-09-2017), lisarea (09-09-2017), The Man (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 01:43 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Equifax Lobbied To Kill Rule Protecting Victims Of Data Breaches

Niiiiiiiiice.

Thanks, from:
Ari (09-09-2017), curses (09-18-2017), JoeP (09-09-2017), lisarea (09-09-2017), The Man (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 04:28 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Further clarification on their site:

Cybersecurity Incident & Important Consumer Information | Equifax

Quote:
2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 PM

Fourth time I've had my PI stolen. Target, Office of Personnel Management, South Carolina Department of Revenue Services, and now this one. I should have a lifetime paid subscription to an indentity theft service at this point. Malafala, this is so annoying.

I'm trying to enroll in the TrustedID Premier services, but the email taking me through the process has yet to reach me (will it ever?).

Tomorrow I'm likely going to call all the credit bureaus and put a hold on my credit. It's going to be really inconvenient, but it's about my only option to cover my ass.

ETA: You can freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion online. Took about ten minutes to do all three. Now to find a safe place to hide my pin numbers for Equifax and Experian. TransUnion has a login service that you can log into to freeze/thaw your credit, as well as monitor your credit raiting.

Last edited by It's Me!; 09-12-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-13-2017), lisarea (09-12-2017), The Man (09-12-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Good article on the steps you should take. I froze my credit, and then went to IdentityTheft.Gov but they would not let me file a Identity Theft Report at the moment since my information has not yet been compromised. They simply said "Freeze your credit, get a credit report, file your taxes early, and if things go sideways, come back here."

YSK: What your options for responding to Equifax are because if you're an American adult you have almost definitely been compromised. : YouShouldKnow

ETA: I'm surprised at how many people don't understand how freezing your credit works, or who aren't taking the situation seriously.

Last edited by It's Me!; 09-13-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-13-2017), JoeP (09-13-2017), The Man (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Good luck getting any of the credit services to process things online. I haven't had any success.
Thanks, from:
The Man (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:28 PM

I'd just gotten copies of my credit report and put a fraud alert on my accounts because of a different thing, so I haven't had to do it since. But a couple of notes that might now be out of date.

The annual credit report site wasn't working for Experian, so I had to sign up for an account on their site to do that, and despite opting out of spam, they have been sending me spam every day claiming it is actually vitally important information I need so I'm not allowed to opt out of it. So I changed the email address to a dummy, but it kept coming. I sorely regret giving them my real email address. I plussed it, but that doesn't matter to them.

And when I signed up for the fraud alert over the phone with TransUnion, they forced me to sit through two separate marketing pitches for their "premium" service, and the second one was about five minutes long. That's not an exaggeration.

But whatever you do, do NOT sign up for paid services with these organizations, and don't give them any information that you don't absolutely positively have to. Every little bit of data you hand them is added to their databases, and there's virtually nothing they're not allowed to do with it. Don't help them.

I've been using Abine Blur to generate single use email addresses and things like that, and I wish I'd done so with Experian. I really don't know enough about these things to personally vouch for its security, though. They do grab some of your information themselves, but generally less than most apps do, so I gamble on them rather than on everyone else. I'm not going to tell anyone else it's safe or anything, because I don't know for sure, but I decided it's safe enough for me.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-14-2017), SR71 (09-14-2017), The Man (09-13-2017), Zehava (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I'd just gotten copies of my credit report and put a fraud alert on my accounts because of a different thing, so I haven't had to do it since. But a couple of notes that might now be out of date.
I read somewhere that if you had your credit frozen by Experian before the hack, you'll need to unfreeze it, and then re-freeze it to get a new pin (because the hack may have netted them your pin number).

I'm happy I live in a state where doing so is free. I have some friends who are looking at $30 for each of the three services. What a f**king mess. If I could just unplug, I'd heavily consider it.
lisarea (09-13-2017), The Man (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 PM

Oh, I just put a fraud alert, not a freeze. I know for a fact I would lose that PIN.
Thanks, from:
It's Me! (09-13-2017), The Man (09-13-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Shit be all like

Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-14-2017), The Man (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
I'd just gotten copies of my credit report and put a fraud alert on my accounts because of a different thing
Somebody using your email address? :yup:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-15-2017), Crumb (09-14-2017), lisarea (09-14-2017), The Man (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM

Ha, no, it was this one.

Back when my brother was just getting ready to start his first post-college job, he had a little bit of imposter syndrome, and I told him that'd go away after a couple of months, and that the biggest realization isn't about your own competence, but everyone else's incompetence. All those people who are super-confident in their skills and think they know the answers to everything are full of shit. I was right. It took him a couple of months.

So all these data breaches are probably bolstering the confidence of anyone who would have known to use strong encryption when storing sensitive PII. This shit isn't anywhere close to what I do, but I know I would have done it better than all these assholes whose job it was. I must be some kind of genius!

(In "stupid people using my email address" news, though: I have recently started getting headshots of aspiring child actors. Lists of "matches" like a dating site, except with a bunch of little kids in Michigan. It is super-creepy.)
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-15-2017), But (09-15-2017), Crumb (09-14-2017), JoeP (09-14-2017), Stephen Maturin (09-15-2017), Stormlight (09-14-2017), The Man (09-14-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:12 AM

Idk they set the bar pretty high!
Login: admin password: admin... welcome to equifax Argentina.
Thanks, from:
It's Me! (09-15-2017), JoeP (09-15-2017), lisarea (09-15-2017), The Man (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

The Equifax Breach Was Entirely Preventable (via Equifax Should Not Be In Business By 2018 - Lawyers, Guns & Money)

Quote:
CAPPING A WEEK of incompetence, failures, and general shady behavior in responding to its massive data breach, Equifax has confirmed that attackers entered its system in mid-May through a web-application vulnerability that had a patch available in March. In other words, the credit-reporting giant had more than two months to take precautions that would have defended the personal data of 143 million people from being exposed. It didn’t....

The vulnerability that attackers exploited to access Equifax's system was in the Apache Struts web-application software, a widely used enterprise platform. The Apache Software Foundation said in a statement on Saturday (when rumors swirled that the March Struts bug might be to blame) that, though it was sorry if attackers exploited a bug in its software to breach Equifax, it always recommends that users regularly patch and update their Apache Struts platforms. "Most breaches we become aware of are caused by failure to update software components that are known to be vulnerable for months or even years," René Gielen, the vice president of Apache Struts, wrote.
In this case, Equifax had ample opportunity to update.
"This vulnerability was disclosed back in March. There were clear and simple instructions of how to remedy the situation. The responsibility is then on companies to have procedures in place to follow such advice promptly," says Bas van Schaik, a product manager and researcher at Semmle, an analytics security firm. "The fact that Equifax was subsequently attacked in May means that Equifax did not follow that advice. Had they done so this breach would not have occurred."
I hope they go out of business, and if there's any justice, they will.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-15-2017), Stephen Maturin (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 PM
ChuckF's sock

Maybe someone using my # will improve my credit :1thumbup:

:lemon:..
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-16-2017), curses (09-18-2017), Kyuss Apollo (09-17-2017), The Man (09-15-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Admin

Quote:
But whatever you do, do NOT sign up for paid services with these organizations, and don't give them any information that you don't absolutely positively have to.
I haven't read much more about this topic than this thread because I was so pissed when I heard that this happened and that the 'solution' everyone was recommending was to pay them. I don't even understand why these agencies are allowed to exist in the first place.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-17-2017), JoeP (09-16-2017), lisarea (09-17-2017), The Man (09-16-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Yeah, that I don't get either. I mean, I guess I understand that you wouldn't be legally prohibited from starting a credit reporting agency. We have barely any privacy protections for individuals in the US, so yeah, the part where they stalk you throughout your life and try to gather information that's none of their business is perfectly legal. That should be illegal, but it's not.

But that information is wrong all the fucking time, and that wrongness often has direct financial costs for the people they're being wrong about, so I don't get how the business model works. How are they not being sued out of existence by people who have suffered economic damages as a result of the credit agencies recklessly repeating false information about them that ends up clearly and provably damaging them financially?
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-17-2017), Crumb (09-17-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (09-17-2017), The Man (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 PM
happy now, Mussolini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limoncello View Post
Maybe someone using my # will improve my credit :1thumbup:
True that. Not much anyone could do to make my credit any worse that my ex-wife's continuing shenanigans. One report last year put my credit rating at 147 -- my attorney told me that in almost 30 years of lawyering he had never heard of a credit rating that low. #WINNING

So good luck trying to get open a line of credit using my SS#, fuckers.

Thanks, from:
Limoncello (09-18-2017), lisarea (09-17-2017), The Man (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:38 PM

It's not just about getting loans, though. If your identity is stolen, people can rack up criminal charges, tickets, and other bills that aren't dependent on your credit, and even end up getting their medical records tied up with yours and things like that.
Thanks, from:
Ari (09-18-2017), The Man (09-17-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
How are they not being sued out of existence by people who have suffered economic damages as a result of the credit agencies recklessly repeating false information about them that ends up clearly and provably damaging them financially?
They have billions, and lawyers by the dozen to make any case against them so expensive as to be not worth the attempt. Plus they lobby and Congress probably protects their sorry asses, making it a practically impossible uphill climb to win a lawsuit.

It pisses me off to no end that our legal system, like everything else in this country, comes down to "who has the most money". Are we a democracy? A republic? No, we're a f**king oligarchy. Capitalism for the f**king win.
JoeP (09-18-2017), lisarea (09-18-2017), The Man (09-18-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:32 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
Ari (10-13-2017), BrotherMan (09-21-2017), JoeP (09-21-2017), lisarea (09-21-2017), Qingdai (10-13-2017), The Man (09-21-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law