Old 08-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

Default Re: News Miscellany

What is the point of a pro-Trump rally? have they not heard that the guy is already president? :ffconf:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Solipsist

But there are black people and Jews and gays.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (08-16-2017), Stormlight (08-18-2017), The Man (08-15-2017)
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Last week the respected left-liberal magazine The Nation published an explosive article that details in great depth the findings of a new report — authored in large part by former U.S. intelligence officers — which claims to present forensic evidence that the Democratic National Committee was not hacked by the Russians in July 2016. Instead, the report alleges, the DNC suffered an insider leak, conducted in the Eastern time zone of the United States by someone with physical access to a DNC computer.
What if the DNC Russian “hack” was really a leak after all? A new report raises questions media and Democrats would rather ignore - Salon.com
Crumb (08-15-2017)
Solipsist

Also, Tmurp.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Quote:
Last week the respected left-liberal magazine The Nation published an explosive article that details in great depth the findings of a new report — authored in large part by former U.S. intelligence officers — which claims to present forensic evidence that the Democratic National Committee was not hacked by the Russians in July 2016. Instead, the report alleges, the DNC suffered an insider leak, conducted in the Eastern time zone of the United States by someone with physical access to a DNC computer.
What if the DNC Russian “hack” was really a leak after all? A new report raises questions media and Democrats would rather ignore - Salon.com
Lawrence's piece in The Nation was utter bullshit, and demonstrated his complete misunderstanding of technology, which is nothing new for journalists. As one example, it refers to "layers of metadata". There is no such thing. Metadata is data describing data. It's the word count of a novel, the dimensions of a video, the length of a music track, the sender of an email. You can't have "layers" of it. The piece strings together technical sounding words and hopes its audience won't notice that it's nonsense.

I don't have time to unpack Lawrence's nonsense fully, so it's a good thing Brian Feldman has already done it.

The Nation Article About the DNC Hack Is Incoherent

Also, The Nation is not really that respected these days, mostly because of its consistently pro-Kremlin slant.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-16-2017), Crumb (08-16-2017), erimir (08-16-2017), JoeP (08-16-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-16-2017), lisarea (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Hey guys, actually Democrats are the baddies, don't mind that the Republican president is going on white supremacist rants and escalating nuclear tensions with North Korea.

I feel so relieved that Clinton's not starting World War III though, which she definitely would've done. She'd probably have nuked Pyongyang by now.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-16-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-16-2017), lisarea (08-16-2017), The Man (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:37 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
What is the point of a pro-Trump rally? have they not heard that the guy is already president? :ffconf:
It's always been about the feeling. That rush of being part of something big, of hearing something that sounded amazing. Half of Trump's platform was that he could hold a great bullshit 'empowerment' style event.
Thanks, from:
The Man (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
Juggalowl?

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (08-16-2017), Zehava (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 AM
A Very Gentle Bort

Oh, heavens. You don't know the history of that.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-16-2017), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-16-2017), Stormlight (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Fishy mokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Hey guys, actually Democrats are the baddies, don't mind that the Republican president is going on white supremacist rants and escalating nuclear tensions with North Korea.

I feel so relieved that Clinton's not starting World War III though, which she definitely would've done. She'd probably have nuked Pyongyang by now.
Binary bullshit...

Just because he is an asshole, doesn't make here any fucking bit better.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Fishy mokey

Laugh Re: News Miscellany

Iran becomes first state to impose sanctions on US for supporting terrorism in world | Times of Islamabad
BrotherMan (08-16-2017), Pan Narrans (08-16-2017), Stephen Maturin (08-16-2017), Stormlight (08-18-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I don't have time to unpack Lawrence's nonsense fully, so it's a good thing Brian Feldman has already done it.

The Nation Article About the DNC Hack Is Incoherent
Quote:
breathtakingly elaborate throat-clearing
:golfclap:

Old 08-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post

Binary bullshit...

Just because he is an asshole, doesn't make here any fucking bit better.
What the fuck are you talking about? Have you taken leave of your senses? There is absolutely no fucking way Clinton would have been even 1% as terrible as Trump has been on any political issue you can possibly name. Trump is going full-on Nazi. There is absolutely no fucking way Clinton would be coddling Nazis, bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war, cutting emissions standards, nominating anti-choice judges, waging a war on voting rights, or any number of other terrible policies you can name. I normally respect what you have to say, but you are completely and utterly deranged if you think Clinton would have done any of this. Clinton is massively preferable on every single political issue - even on issues where she isn't perfect (and there are certainly a lot of those), she's still light-years better than Trump.

Trump is basically a fucking Nazi. This isn't a time to trot out pat "lesser of two evils" clichés. One politician is a Nazi, and the other isn't. They aren't in the same league. They aren't even in the same fucking galaxy. They never have been, and anyone who ever thought they were has a lot of self-reflection they should be doing right now. Those of us who were actually paying attention warned others how terrible Trump is, and not only we were right, we might have actually understated the danger. People who thought he might not be that bad have been proven completely and utterly wrong, and many of them still don't seem to be undergoing self-reflection about it.

If you genuinely think Clinton would've said white supremacists had "some good people among them" or whatever the fuck Trump said yesterday, you're completely and utterly full of shit. If you genuinely think Clinton would be taunting Kim Jong Un with "fire and fury", you're completely and utterly full of shit. If you think I'd be worrying about whether the rising tide of antisemitism would cause me to need to leave the fucking country in a Clinton administration, you're completely and utterly full of shit. This is the kind of false equivalence shit I would expect from Jerome. You should know better. Clinton is about a million times better than Trump. She is vastly more qualified, she is vastly more intelligent, she is vastly more emotionally stable, and her position on every issue of import is vastly less horrifying than Trump's. The fact that you can write them off as equivalent with a straight face is not merely wrong; it is offensive.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Last edited by The Man; 08-16-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (08-16-2017), Kael (08-16-2017), specious_reasons (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Fishy mokey

I didn't mean she's worse than Trump, it does not make her a good candidate that her opponent sucked ass. But as for warmongering: I'm pretty sure you would have been at war with Iran right now. Of course that could still happen.

Quote:
This isn't a time to trot out pat "lesser of two evils" clichés.
That's exactly what you are doing though.

No matter how bad Trump is, Hillary doesn't suck any less.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
But as for warmongering: I'm pretty sure you would have been at war with Iran right now.
[citation needed]

You do realise Clinton supported Obama's agreement with Iran, right? And Trump wants to tear it up?

Quote:
Quote:
This isn't a time to trot out pat "lesser of two evils" clichés.
That's exactly what you are doing though.
And you aren't? You're saying, "blah, blah, the lesser of two evils is still evil." The greater evil is a fucking Nazi. It is the duty of all thinking people to oppose Nazism by every possible avenue, because the greater evil has made things so much worse.

Quote:
This is the most asinine thing I have ever seen you write. She sucks about a million times less than he does. The fact that you paint the two as equivalent in any way shows you have completely taken leave of your senses.

Thanks, from:
erimir (08-16-2017), ShottleBop (08-19-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Fishy mokey

[quote=The Man;1298716]
Quote:
Quote:
This is the most asinine thing I have ever seen you write. She sucks about a million times less than he does. The fact that you paint the two as equivalent in any way shows you have completely taken leave of your senses.
AGAIN: I didn't say she sucked as bad as Trump, but it looks like you really want to read that...

I don't see why Hillary gets brought up all the time. She lost. And she was a bad candidate. That Trump is worse does not make her better than she is.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Quote:
AGAIN:
This isn't "again", because you didn't say it in any of your previous posts. The most you'd said above is:

Quote:
I didn't mean she's worse than Trump
But since your post read to me as implying she was as bad, this wasn't responsive.

Quote:
I didn't say she sucked as bad as Trump
You might not have meant that, but it's a reasonable reading of what you wrote in your opening post when you fix the typo.

Quote:
Just because he is an asshole, doesn't make here [sic] any fucking bit better.
If you didn't mean that she isn't "any fucking bit better than him," then you shouldn't have used him as the antecedent, because the construction of your sentence implies a comparison between the two of them.

Even in your second post:

Quote:
Again, the antecedent makes it quite reasonable to read your sentence as meaning she "doesn't suck any less than him".

Quote:
I don't see why Hillary gets brought up all the time. She lost.
She won the popular vote by three million votes. She "lost" because of an outdated, antidemocratic relic of slavery that was ostensibly instituted to prevent an unqualified demagogue from being installed as president and completely and utterly failed to do so.

Also, pseudo-leftist purity trolls refuse to shut the fuck up about her. There are a number of insufferable trolls on blogs like Lawyers, Guns & Money who derail the comment sections of any post that even mentions Clinton tangentially into another relitigation of the 2016 primary. If these assholes had voted for her, we wouldn't be facing any of the problems we're currently facing.

Quote:
And she was a bad candidate.
She was the most qualified person ever to have run for the office of president in my lifetime, and quite possibly in the history of the Republic. And while people forget it these days because Russian social media engineering, a ludicrously biased news media, an unprecedented FBI interference in the election, and a number of other black swan events combined to lose her the electoral college by an 80,000 vote margin in three crucial swing states, she completely embarrassed her ludicrously underqualified opponent in all three debates in a manner that has never been seen in political history. It's also worth pointing out that she had a 70% approval rating as Secretary of State and was the most admired woman in the country for literally decades. But sure, a "bad candidate". It can't be that media has a double standard in how it treats female candidates for office - even though there is a recurring pattern of female incumbents in this country having higher approval ratings than female candidates. The flaws must be with her.

Last edited by The Man; 08-16-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Thanks, from:
But (08-16-2017), Corona688 (08-16-2017), Crumb (08-16-2017), Kael (08-16-2017), ShottleBop (08-19-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 PM

Look dude, it's not that I think Clinton was perfect. I don't even think she was as good as Obama, and I would've preferred, say, Elizabeth Warren. But as far as Democratic nominees go, she was qualified and very well-liked by people who had worked with her, and the platform she was running on was easily the most progressive Democratic platform of my lifetime. She wasn't the most stirring public speaker. But I think she was a good candidate, if you're not judging by whether she was a good campaigner (although she did an excellent job on certain campaign tasks: organizing the convention, the presidential debates, and running a professional team).

I know you don't like her foreign policy, I think she was notably worse than Obama on that, and Obama wasn't perfect either, but I don't think she was especially bad relative to other US presidents and nominees. And she was still miles better than Trump. I knew that a malignant narcissistic sociopath can't be trusted with the nukes and the US military. I would have no concerns about Guam being nuked over a fucking tweet if Hillary were in office. There would be an ambassador to South Korea. There would be many people, including the president, who were well-aware that "it's more complicated" than Trump thought. I would have no concerns that a war might be started over a Trump Tower being attacked by terrorists. Or that Hillary would declare her intention, without reviewing the evidence, before the evidence is even collected, to conclude that Iran is violating the terms of the deal.

So sorry, yeah I live in the real world where, yeah, it was "binary bullshit". There were only two outcomes, and I made my choice between them, because I'm not a whiny self-indulgent baby more concerned about what my vote says about me than what the consequences are for the country. But still, it's fine if you want to criticize her on some issues and particularly on foreign policy, there were definitely significant problems with her.

But you go beyond reasonable criticism, IMO. You say she wants to tear up a Democratic achievement in the Iran deal and go to war with them. Based on what? And you post a ridiculous piece at The Nation floating conspiracy theories (and the guy who wrote it also is a Seth Rich conspiracy guy, who I suppose thinks the DNC or Clinton had him murdered). The Nation has long been kooky on the subject of Russia, which at least made a little sense when it had a leftist government, but Putin is definitely not a friend of the left. So anyway, you post that, why? Because it confirms your biases.

So I mocked you for running over here to post your "actually the Democrats are the liars and Putin did nothing wrong" and I tossed in some mockery of your Hillary WW3 bullshit given the recent escalation of tensions with North Korea. I don't recall anyone suggesting Hillary would mishandle N Korea, but I remember plenty of people pointing out we don't want Trump with nukes. But hey, not that important, and anyway, her statements about Israel were not great. So both sides, right :jerkoff:
Thanks, from:
Ari (08-16-2017), Crumb (08-16-2017), Kael (08-16-2017), lisarea (08-16-2017), slimshady2357 (08-17-2017), The Man (08-16-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:17 PM
Fishy mokey

Yeah, done with the circle jerk here.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Hey you're the one who posted bogus conspiracy theories about Democrats :shrug:

"I don't see why Hillary gets brought up all the time" says the guy who posts an article that leads to the conclusion that Hillary Clinton and/or the Democrats were lying about Russia and possibly had a DNC staffer murdered.

Last edited by erimir; 08-17-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Thanks, from:
The Man (08-17-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Solipsist

Turku stabbing: two dead in Finnish city after market square attack | World news | The Guardian

They have the stabber, or at least someone, in custody, but aren't saying if it could be terror related yet.

Thanks, from:
Kamilah Hauptmann (08-19-2017), Stormlight (08-18-2017), The Man (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I'm going to guess there'll be mostly crossover on the Juggalo end. They're both mostly pathetic, uneducated white people who think they're being oppressed and that anyone smarter than them is dishonest and pretentious, and they have unhealthy obsession with angry, stupid figureheads.

I see more Trump supporters rejecting the Juggalos than the other way around.

I just...I hope someone documents the whole thing thoroughly, because I want to see it. From a distance, obviously.
Maybe less crossover than you think. Apparently lefty juggalos are a thing and organising: Socialist Juggalos Gear Up to Fight Pro-Trump 'Nazis'
Kamilah Hauptmann (08-19-2017), lisarea (08-18-2017), The Man (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragment View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
I'm going to guess there'll be mostly crossover on the Juggalo end. They're both mostly pathetic, uneducated white people who think they're being oppressed and that anyone smarter than them is dishonest and pretentious, and they have unhealthy obsession with angry, stupid figureheads.

I see more Trump supporters rejecting the Juggalos than the other way around.

I just...I hope someone documents the whole thing thoroughly, because I want to see it. From a distance, obviously.
Maybe less crossover than you think. Apparently lefty juggalos are a thing and organising: Socialist Juggalos Gear Up to Fight Pro-Trump 'Nazis'
I know almost nothing about the Insane Clown Posse apart from “Miracles”, but this is apparently one of their song lyrics:

Quote:
I’m in an old station wagon deep in Alabama
Wipe the sweat outta my eyes, cocked the hammer

I see a pickup truck with a rebel flag window
A skinny redneck with one of his kinfolk
I pull up along side and blast the passenger
Blood, feathers and bone, a massacre
I kept shootin’, hit the driver
He fell on the horn stuck
Threw a Molotov cocktail and blew up the truck

I say fuck your rebel flag
Out here pretending like you ain’t offendin’
You redneck judges with racist grudges
If you gotta tattoo, I’m aimin’ at you
You get punched in your faces reppin’ the racists

Confederate flag
F-f-f-f-fuck you
Confederate flag
F-fuck you-f-f-fuck you
Confederate flag
F-f-f-f-f-fuck you
Confederate flag
And so on. They also apparently despise homophobia, misogyny, and racism. Judging from that, I’m going with “probably not much overlap with Trump voters.”

Last edited by The Man; 08-18-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (08-18-2017), ShottleBop (08-19-2017), Stephen Maturin (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 04:18 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
Stormlight (09-13-2017), The Man (08-19-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 06:41 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Thanks, from:
Ari (08-20-2017), JoeP (08-20-2017), lisarea (08-20-2017), slimshady2357 (08-20-2017), Stormlight (09-13-2017), The Man (08-20-2017)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law