Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle

Old 05-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Default Re: Parents, do your due diligence on vaccination! There are serious risks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Heidi Stevenson died of cancer in March of 2014. It appears that she was a self-taught homeopathy buff with no education, training or experience in any relevant field. Her bona fides included appearances on Alex Jones' cavalcade of conspiracy-mongering and a page at whale.to. Surprise, surprise.

These Reddit geniuses can't say with certainty that Stevenson was murdered on orders from Big Pharma executives, but her demise was awfully convenient for them. :chin:
One of the reasons cancer killed her could be that she thought grape-seed extract was better than chemo for late-stage cancer.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-23-2016), But (05-22-2016), Stormlight (05-23-2016), The Man (05-22-2016), thedoc (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: Parents, do your due diligence on vaccination! There are serious risks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
I know what you were saying. Parenthood brings out a mother's intuition and that is God given. It's in our hard drive. Most parents love their children more than life itself and would do anything to protect them. Mother bears will defend their young at any cost. I call that bright. Mother's wisdom goes a long way to keeping their babies safe so they can reach adulthood. Yes, there are some really nasty chemicals in vaccines and some are cumulative. The science is far from conclusive.
Wrong! You don't have a clue. Parental intuition is bogus, there is no instruction manual for being a parent. Most parents don't have any idea how to care for their child, why do you think they give parenting classes if the parent already knows what is best for the child. Most of the time, if it were up to the parent alone, the child wold die. I had to teach my 2nd wife how to change a diaper, because she didn't know. There is no such thing as a mothers intuition, and instincts don't cover diseases or medical information. Mothers intuition is bogus, mothers instinct is limited, mothers wisdom is bogus. The science isn't conclusive, but it is heavily in favor of vaccination rather than letting the child get sick and die. The trace chemicals in a vaccine will be eliminated from the body, and it will be as if they had never been in the body, the ones that accumulate are only similar to the ones used, and are not used in vaccines, it's only the anti-vaxxers who try to conflate the different chemicals, as if they were the same.
Angakuk (05-23-2016), Stormlight (05-23-2016), The Man (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:51 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Parenthood brings out a mother's intuition and that is God given. It's in our hard drive.
You wouldn't know "God given" if it bit you in the ass, you only know what your father wrote in his joke of a book. There is nothing in a humans "hard drive" (instinct) about medicines or vaccines, so a parent is one of the least reliable sources of information about childhood vaccinations.
Angakuk (05-23-2016), The Man (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Nutty Legionnaire Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Heidi Stevenson died of cancer in March of 2014. It appears that she was a self-taught homeopathy buff with no education, training or experience in any relevant field. Her bona fides included appearances on Alex Jones' cavalcade of conspiracy-mongering and a page at whale.to. Surprise, surprise.

These Reddit geniuses can't say with certainty that Stevenson was murdered on orders from Big Pharma executives, but her demise was awfully convenient for them. :chin:
One of the reasons cancer killed her could be that she thought grape-seed extract was better than chemo for late-stage cancer.
Maybe so, but the idea that Big Pharma developed a cancer gun and used it on her is more appealing. You know, kinda like how Obama murdered Andrew Breitbart with a heart attack gun.

It brings back fond memories of earlier in this thread when peacegirl was telling us about how the medical establishment is murdering alternative healthcare providers.

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-23-2016), But (05-22-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-24-2016), Stormlight (05-23-2016), The Man (05-22-2016), thedoc (05-23-2016), Vivisectus (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
You're not going to win Dragar as much as you want to discount Lessans' findings using anything you can get your hands on.
Sure I am. The best evidence you can cite for your outrageous claims is a random blog post that says more kids are taking epipens to school. Great; you've found a random person on the internet. But they don't even back up your point! More kids are certainly taking epipens to school - because the technology is new, and cheaper and more affordable than ever before!

That's a far cry from your actual claim that "everywhere you look, children are carrying around epipens". As usual, you take a dishonest approach to discussion.

When will you stop with this deceit?
Angakuk (05-24-2016), But (05-23-2016), The Man (05-23-2016), thedoc (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
I know what you were saying. Parenthood brings out a mother's intuition and that is God given. It's in our hard drive. Most parents love their children more than life itself and would do anything to protect them. Mother bears will defend their young at any cost. I call that bright. Mother's wisdom goes a long way to keeping their babies safe so they can reach adulthood. Yes, there are some really nasty chemicals in vaccines and some are cumulative. The science is far from conclusive.
Wrong! You don't have a clue. Parental intuition is bogus, there is no instruction manual for being a parent. Most parents don't have any idea how to care for their child, why do you think they give parenting classes if the parent already knows what is best for the child. Most of the time, if it were up to the parent alone, the child wold die. I had to teach my 2nd wife how to change a diaper, because she didn't know. There is no such thing as a mothers intuition, and instincts don't cover diseases or medical information. Mothers intuition is bogus, mothers instinct is limited, mothers wisdom is bogus. The science isn't conclusive, but it is heavily in favor of vaccination rather than letting the child get sick and die. The trace chemicals in a vaccine will be eliminated from the body, and it will be as if they had never been in the body, the ones that accumulate are only similar to the ones used, and are not used in vaccines, it's only the anti-vaxxers who try to conflate the different chemicals, as if they were the same.
Your mouth is on overdrive again. You don't know what you're talking about. Mothers have an amazing ability to sniff out what may be dangerous to their children. No one wants a child to get sick and die, but it has been shown over and over and over again that what was once believed to be a miracle cure-all has now been shown to have serious problems. Scientists often get overzealous about their "immaculate" studies that conclude a drug is safe (and vaccines are drugs) until the pendulum swings to the other side where the "miracle" drug stops working or causes undue harm.

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 05-23-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
You're not going to win Dragar as much as you want to discount Lessans' findings using anything you can get your hands on.
Sure I am. The best evidence you can cite for your outrageous claims is a random blog post that says more kids are taking epipens to school. Great; you've found a random person on the internet. But they don't even back up your point! More kids are certainly taking epipens to school - because the technology is new, and cheaper and more affordable than ever before!

That's a far cry from your actual claim that "everywhere you look, children are carrying around epipens". As usual, you take a dishonest approach to discussion.

If you go to the website you will get your answers. Epipens are being used by children more than ever because they are more allergic than ever. But I don't expect you to ever concede that I'm right. :rolleyes:

https://www.epipen.com/about-epipen/faq

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 05-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
More kids are certainly taking epipens to school - because the technology is new, and cheaper and more affordable than ever before!
That's incorrect, Dragar. Epipens were invented in 1682 by a concerned mother who got the idea by consulting the vast repository of medical knowledge in her uterus. Moreover, epipens have been 100% free from that day to this. Geez, you scientists don't know anything!

"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-24-2016), Dragar (05-23-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-23-2016), thedoc (05-23-2016), Vivisectus (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you go to the website you will get your answers. Epipens are being used by children more than ever because they are more allergic than ever. But I don't expect you to ever concede that I'm right. :rolleyes:

Runtime Error
The webpage you linked provides exactly zero support for your claims. Is this another case of you linking without reading?

On the plus side, though, it's good to know for future reference that you now accept BIG PHARMA websites as accurate sources.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), But (05-23-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-24-2016), Dragar (05-23-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-23-2016), thedoc (05-23-2016), Vivisectus (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 03:54 PM

So why DO you believe in magical maternal intuition, PG? You never got around to explaining how you found out about it. Maybe if you did I could check your source and see if I agree.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), Dragar (05-23-2016), The Man (05-23-2016), thedoc (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
If you go to the website you will get your answers. Epipens are being used by children more than ever because they are more allergic than ever.
You're lying again. The website you referenced says no such thing.

Why are you being so dishonest?
Angakuk (05-24-2016), But (05-23-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-24-2016), Stephen Maturin (05-23-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-23-2016), thedoc (05-23-2016), Vivisectus (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Your mouth is on overdrive again. You don't know what you're talking about. Mothers have an amazing ability to sniff out what may be dangerous to their children. No one wants a child to get sick and die, but it has been shown over and over and over again that what was once believed to be a miracle cure-all has now been shown to have serious problems. Scientists often get overzealous about their "immaculate" studies that conclude a drug is safe (and vaccines are drugs) until the pendulum swings to the other side where the "miracle" drug stops working or causes undue harm.
"Vivisectus

While I am on the subject - what kind of complete idiot made this kind of stuff a thing? This parent-worship? Who started saying things like "as a parent..." as if having working genetalia somehow lends weight to your opinion?

Have the people who spout that kind of steaming bullshite ever stopped to have a good look at some of the drooling retards that have managed to procreate? Some of them didn't even mean to!

Parents include people who send their kids to jesus-camp, or child beauty pageants. Parents include people who teach their kids that the earth is 6000 years old and that we used to ride on dinosaurs. Parents include people who smack their kids around because they are too fucking lazy and/or stupid to reprimand a child without resorting to violence. Parents include those fuckwits who refused to send their kid to a regular doctor and let it die of meningitis, or who introduce their kids to the cult they are following, brainwashing it before they have even figured out who they are yet. Parent include selfish retards who go out drinking at night and leave a 10-year old to babysit two toddlers.

Parents are just as selfish, lazy and stupid as everyone else, and on average they are more biased than people who are not parents because none of them want to deal with the fact their kid just happened to have lost the genetic lottery. Don't ask parents things to do with kids and expect a balanced answer - they all have an agenda, unless they are really bad ones!

I loathe these idiots that wear parenthood like it is a sherrif's badge - they enjoy the authority of parenting wayyy to much, and forget that just because a child thinks you know everything and can do everything for a while, that does not make it true! Just because it is your responsibility to make important choices does not mean you are actually any good at it! At all!

These anti-vaxxers are especially prone to this asinine attention-whoring and concern-wanking bullshit. It is so annoying."

Apparently Vivisectus has given some really good (in your opinion) examples of responsible parenting. I'm sure there are many like parents in your circle of anti-vaxxers, who think the message is more important than their children's health. Keep posting Peacegirl, as it has been said, "Let her rant, that others may know her mad."
Angakuk (05-24-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you go to the website you will get your answers. Epipens are being used by children more than ever because they are more allergic than ever.

Tiny Lifesaver for a Growing Worry
By KATIE THOMASSEPT. 7, 2012

Diane Voelker, a school nurse in Virginia, with EpiPen kits. Virginia requires its schools to have such devices on hand. Credit Karen Kasmauski for The New York Times
It has become an all-too-familiar story in schools across the country: a child eats a peanut or is stung by a bee and suffers an immediate, life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.

If parents and school authorities know about the allergy and a doctor’s prescription is on file, a nurse can quickly give an injection of epinephrine, saving the child’s life.

But school nurses in many districts face an agonizing choice if a child without a prescription develops a sudden reaction to an undiagnosed allergy. Should they inject epinephrine and risk losing their nursing license for dispensing it without a prescription, or call 911 and pray the paramedics arrive in time?

After a 7-year-old girl died in January in a similar case in Virginia, the state passed a law that allows any child who needs an emergency shot to get one. Beginning this month, every school district in Virginia is required to keep epinephrine injectors on hand for use in an emergency. Illinois, Georgia and Maryland have passed similar laws, and school nurses are pushing for one in Ohio. A lobbying effort backed by Mylan, which markets the most commonly used injector, the EpiPen, made by Pfizer, led to the introduction last year of a federal bill that would encourage states to pass such laws.

Mylan has also lobbied state legislatures around the country directly and is passing out free EpiPens this fall to any qualifying school that wants them.

“When a child is having an anaphylactic reaction, the only thing that can save her life is epinephrine,” said Maria L. Acebal, the chief executive of the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network. “911 doesn’t get there fast enough.”

The efforts are an acknowledgment of the rising rates of food allergies among children and a handful of deaths from allergies across the country. In many schools, children carry their own epinephrine injectors in their backpacks to use themselves, if they’re old enough, or the devices are stored on their behalf in nurses’ offices.

Continue reading the main story
The initiative also has a commercial underpinning: It is part of an effort to raise the profile of EpiPen. Over the last two years, Mylan has invested millions of dollars in consumer advertising and hired almost 100 extra sales representatives to help promote the product. EpiPen sales are on track to bring in $640 million this year, a 76 percent increase over last year, according to one analyst.

Heather Bresch, the chief executive of Mylan, said charity and profit should not be mutually exclusive.

“I think this goes to the heart of being able to do good and do well,” she said.

Although no one knows exactly why, the rate of food allergies among children appears to be on the rise. One survey found that in 2008, one in 70 children was allergic to peanuts, compared with one in 250 in 1997.

Photo

Laura Pendleton’s daughter Amarria Johnson, a first grader from Chesterfield, Va., died after having a severe reaction at school. Credit Jay Paul for The New York Times
“I don’t think it’s overdiagnosis,” said Dr. Scott H. Sicherer, the author of the report and a researcher at the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan. “There really seems to be a difference.”

A study last year in the journal Pediatrics found that about one in 13 children had a food allergy, and nearly 40 percent of those with allergies had severe reactions. A recent survey in Massachusetts, where schools are permitted to administer epinephrine to any student, found that one-quarter of students who had to be given the drug for a reaction did not know they had an allergy. But in many schools, employees are not allowed to use epinephrine injectors on children who do not have a prescription.

That’s what happened in January when Amarria Johnson, a first grader from Chesterfield, Va., developed a severe allergic reaction. Her mother, Laura Pendleton, said Amarria’s allergy to peanuts was known, but the school did not have an EpiPen that was prescribed to her. At the time, school employees were not allowed to use injectors that were prescribed to other children.

cont. at: Log In - The New York Times

Last edited by peacegirl; 05-23-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
So why DO you believe in magical maternal intuition, PG? You never got around to explaining how you found out about it. Maybe if you did I could check your source and see if I agree.
The Science of Mother Love
by Cori Young

A growing body of scientific evidence shows that the way babies are cared for by their mothers will determine not only their emotional development, but the biological development of the child’s brain and central nervous system as well. The nature of love, and how the capacity to love develops, has become the subject of scientific study over the last decade. New data is emerging from a multitude of disciplines including neurology, psychology, biology, ethology, anthropology and neurocardiology. Something scientific disciplines find in common when putting love under the microscope is that in addition to shaping the brains of infants, mother’s love acts as a template for love itself and has far reaching effects on her child’s ability to love throughout life.

the-science-of-mother-love.jpgTo mothers holding their newborn babies it will come as little surprise that the ‘decade of the brain’ has lead science to the wisdom of the mother’s heart.

According to Alan Schore, assistant clinical professor in the department of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at UCLA School of Medicine, a major conclusion of the last decade of developmental neuroscience research is that the infant brain is designed to be molded by the environment it encounters.1 In other words, babies are born with a certain set of genetics, but they must be activated by early experience and interaction. Schore believes the most crucial component of these earliest interactions is the primary caregiver – the mother. “The child’s first relationship, the one with the mother, acts as a template, as it permanently molds the individual’s capacities to enter into all later emotional relationships.” Others agree. The first months of an infant’s life constitute what is known as a critical period – a time when events are imprinted in the nervous system.

“Hugs and kisses during these critical periods make those neurons grow and connect properly with other neurons.” Says Dr. Arthur Janov, in his book Biology of Love. “You can kiss that brain into maturity.”

Hormones, The Language of Love
In his beautiful book, The Scientification of Love, French obstetrician Michel Odent explains how Oxytocin, a hormone released by the pituitary gland stimulates the release of chemical messengers in the heart. Oxytocin, which is essential during birth, stimulating contractions, and during lactation, stimulating the ‘milk ejection reflex’, is also involved in other ‘loving behaviors’. “It is noticeable that whatever the facet of love we consider, oxytocin is involved.’ Says Odent. “During intercourse both partners – female and male – release oxytocin.” One study even shows that the simple act of sharing a meal with other people increases our levels of this ‘love hormone’.2

cont. at: The Science of Mother Love | Baby | Babies Online

Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tiny Lifesaver for a Growing Worry
By KATIE THOMASSEPT. 7, 2012

Diane Voelker, a school nurse in Virginia, with EpiPen kits. Virginia requires its schools to have such devices on hand. Credit Karen Kasmauski for The New York Times
It has become an all-too-familiar story in schools across the country: a child eats a peanut or is stung by a bee and suffers an immediate, life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.

If parents and school authorities know about the allergy and a doctor’s prescription is on file, a nurse can quickly give an injection of epinephrine, saving the child’s life.

But school nurses in many districts face an agonizing choice if a child without a prescription develops a sudden reaction to an undiagnosed allergy. Should they inject epinephrine and risk losing their nursing license for dispensing it without a prescription, or call 911 and pray the paramedics arrive in time?

After a 7-year-old girl died in January in a similar case in Virginia, the state passed a law that allows any child who needs an emergency shot to get one. Beginning this month, every school district in Virginia is required to keep epinephrine injectors on hand for use in an emergency. Illinois, Georgia and Maryland have passed similar laws, and school nurses are pushing for one in Ohio. A lobbying effort backed by Mylan, which markets the most commonly used injector, the EpiPen, made by Pfizer, led to the introduction last year of a federal bill that would encourage states to pass such laws.

Mylan has also lobbied state legislatures around the country directly and is passing out free EpiPens this fall to any qualifying school that wants them.

“When a child is having an anaphylactic reaction, the only thing that can save her life is epinephrine,” said Maria L. Acebal, the chief executive of the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network. “911 doesn’t get there fast enough.”

The efforts are an acknowledgment of the rising rates of food allergies among children and a handful of deaths from allergies across the country. In many schools, children carry their own epinephrine injectors in their backpacks to use themselves, if they’re old enough, or the devices are stored on their behalf in nurses’ offices.

Continue reading the main story
The initiative also has a commercial underpinning: It is part of an effort to raise the profile of EpiPen. Over the last two years, Mylan has invested millions of dollars in consumer advertising and hired almost 100 extra sales representatives to help promote the product. EpiPen sales are on track to bring in $640 million this year, a 76 percent increase over last year, according to one analyst.

Heather Bresch, the chief executive of Mylan, said charity and profit should not be mutually exclusive.

“I think this goes to the heart of being able to do good and do well,” she said.

Although no one knows exactly why, the rate of food allergies among children appears to be on the rise. One survey found that in 2008, one in 70 children was allergic to peanuts, compared with one in 250 in 1997.

Photo

Laura Pendleton’s daughter Amarria Johnson, a first grader from Chesterfield, Va., died after having a severe reaction at school. Credit Jay Paul for The New York Times
“I don’t think it’s overdiagnosis,” said Dr. Scott H. Sicherer, the author of the report and a researcher at the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan. “There really seems to be a difference.”

A study last year in the journal Pediatrics found that about one in 13 children had a food allergy, and nearly 40 percent of those with allergies had severe reactions. A recent survey in Massachusetts, where schools are permitted to administer epinephrine to any student, found that one-quarter of students who had to be given the drug for a reaction did not know they had an allergy. But in many schools, employees are not allowed to use epinephrine injectors on children who do not have a prescription.

That’s what happened in January when Amarria Johnson, a first grader from Chesterfield, Va., developed a severe allergic reaction. Her mother, Laura Pendleton, said Amarria’s allergy to peanuts was known, but the school did not have an EpiPen that was prescribed to her. At the time, school employees were not allowed to use injectors that were prescribed to other children.

cont. at: Log In - The New York Times
:lol:

Now that's funny! In the original version of this post, you were responding to me. In the edited version, you're responding to Dragar. Ah, the lengths to which the Internet crank will go to keep the facade of Pretend Ignore intact!

Oh, Pretend Ignore, hallowed be thy name! You are light! You are life! You are manna from heaven!

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), But (05-23-2016), ChuckF (05-23-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-24-2016), Pan Narrans (05-23-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-24-2016), Vivisectus (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The Science of Mother Love
by Cori Young

A growing body of scientific evidence shows that the way babies are cared for by their mothers will determine not only their emotional development, but the biological development of the child’s brain and central nervous system as well. The nature of love, and how the capacity to love develops, has become the subject of scientific study over the last decade. New data is emerging from a multitude of disciplines including neurology, psychology, biology, ethology, anthropology and neurocardiology. Something scientific disciplines find in common when putting love under the microscope is that in addition to shaping the brains of infants, mother’s love acts as a template for love itself and has far reaching effects on her child’s ability to love throughout life.

the-science-of-mother-love.jpgTo mothers holding their newborn babies it will come as little surprise that the ‘decade of the brain’ has lead science to the wisdom of the mother’s heart.

According to Alan Schore, assistant clinical professor in the department of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at UCLA School of Medicine, a major conclusion of the last decade of developmental neuroscience research is that the infant brain is designed to be molded by the environment it encounters.1 In other words, babies are born with a certain set of genetics, but they must be activated by early experience and interaction. Schore believes the most crucial component of these earliest interactions is the primary caregiver – the mother. “The child’s first relationship, the one with the mother, acts as a template, as it permanently molds the individual’s capacities to enter into all later emotional relationships.” Others agree. The first months of an infant’s life constitute what is known as a critical period – a time when events are imprinted in the nervous system.

“Hugs and kisses during these critical periods make those neurons grow and connect properly with other neurons.” Says Dr. Arthur Janov, in his book Biology of Love. “You can kiss that brain into maturity.”

Hormones, The Language of Love
In his beautiful book, The Scientification of Love, French obstetrician Michel Odent explains how Oxytocin, a hormone released by the pituitary gland stimulates the release of chemical messengers in the heart. Oxytocin, which is essential during birth, stimulating contractions, and during lactation, stimulating the ‘milk ejection reflex’, is also involved in other ‘loving behaviors’. “It is noticeable that whatever the facet of love we consider, oxytocin is involved.’ Says Odent. “During intercourse both partners – female and male – release oxytocin.” One study even shows that the simple act of sharing a meal with other people increases our levels of this ‘love hormone’.2

cont. at: The Science of Mother Love | Baby | Babies Online
Nothing to do with anything like intuition - and a pretty good example of fluffy science writing. Just more wuffly stowies for the mommies and the babbies! :bigtears:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-24-2016), Stephen Maturin (05-23-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-24-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Years ago I attended a teachers conference where the idiot presenter (who had never been in a classroom, and probably didn't have any kids), tried to tell teachers that students should never experience failure, as it could damage their precious little psyche, as opposed to teaching them how the world really worked. One of the other teachers in attendance, spoke up and asked, "so you're saying that we shouldn't threaten the kids, but we should promise them a reward?" The presenter gushed his agreement. But I knew what the other teacher meant, you don't threaten a paddling, but you promise to beat their butts if they don't behave. That was my introduction to the new (at the time) child psychology of protecting the child from the reality of life. I adopted an alternate position, I would let my kids fail at something, then encourage them to keep trying till they got it right. Success was much better, and more meaningful, when it followed a few failures.
Angakuk (05-24-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 PM
I'm Deplorable.

When my youngest granddaughter turned 2 she refused to talk, we know that she could but she refused. So we started teaching her ASL, and eventually she started putting the words to the signs. Now I tell people that she and her brother stay with us on the weekends so that her mothers ears can grow back.
Angakuk (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 01:21 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

peacegirl, since you are obviously reading every single word that I write while I relish this time on Pretend Ignore, do you oppose the legislative agenda of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, keeping in mind that your contention that laws prohibiting driving while intoxicated are unacceptable ("Of course!") and that "too many rules and regulations can backfire?"

peacegirl, if you agree with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, why do you discount all of the studies that "have shown that people are often more responsible when laws demanding that they behave a certain way (or else) are lifted"?

peacegirl, if you do not agree with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, why do you so cravenly discount the amazing ability of mothers to sniff out what may be dangerous to their children in favor of the "legalistic, watchdog approach" which, according to you, produces inferior results?

peacegirl, do you believe that laws against drunk driving should be repealed?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), But (05-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-24-2016), Pan Narrans (05-24-2016), Stephen Maturin (05-24-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-24-2016), Vivisectus (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
peacegirl, since you are obviously reading every single word that I write while I relish this time on Pretend Ignore, do you oppose the legislative agenda of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, keeping in mind that your contention that laws prohibiting driving while intoxicated are unacceptable ("Of course!") and that "too many rules and regulations can backfire?"

peacegirl, if you agree with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, why do you discount all of the studies that "have shown that people are often more responsible when laws demanding that they behave a certain way (or else) are lifted"?

peacegirl, if you do not agree with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, why do you so cravenly discount the amazing ability of mothers to sniff out what may be dangerous to their children in favor of the "legalistic, watchdog approach" which, according to you, produces inferior results?

Stop misinterpreting me. I already told you that I believe the laws against drinking and driving, or texting and driving, aren't stringent enough.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:04 AM

U.S. Has The Most Aggressive Mandated Vaccine Schedule In The World

The United States has the highest number of mandated vaccines for children under 5 in the world (36, double the Western world average of 18), the highest autism rate in the world (1 in 150 children, 10 times or more the rate of some other Western countries), but only places 34th in the world for its children under 5 mortality rate. What’s going on?
Context: There is an intense debate over the correlation between rising autism prevalence and the United States vaccine schedule. The vaccine schedule for children aged 5 and under has nearly tripled in 25 years. In 1983, the Centers for Disease Control recommended 10 vaccines for this age group. Today, the recommendation is 36 vaccines. Calls by advocacy organizations for a “safer and leaner vaccine schedule” have been dismissed, with health authorities implying that mortality rates from childhood diseases would materially increase.
Objective: To compare vaccine schedules, autism rates, and under 5 mortality rates of the United States to other countries to see if any differences emerge.
Design: A full publication and literature review was completed to determine vaccine schedules and under 5 mortality rates for 30 countries, including the United States. The 29 other countries all had lower (better) under 5 mortality rates than the U.S. Additionally, autism rates were compared for certain countries with reliable, published autism prevalence data.
Results: The United States mandates the most vaccines in the Western world (36), double the average of the 30 countries studied (18). All countries with lower vaccine mandates have better under 5 mortality rates and many have materially lower autism rates.
Conclusions: The analysis lends credibility to the relationship between vaccines and autism and challenges the public view of both the Centers for Disease Control and American Academy of Pediatrics that more vaccines is always positive for public health.

cont. at: http://preventdisease.com/news/11/03...orldwide.shtml

Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 AM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Quote:

Stop misinterpreting me. I already told you that I believe the laws against drinking and driving, or texting and driving, aren't stringent enough.
peacegirl, why do you think the government should control what people do with their bodies?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-25-2016), Stephen Maturin (05-24-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:12 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Quote:
Quote:

What if the driver is a parent? It is accepted pretend fact in your head that no parent would knowingly harm their child. Can you say with 100% certainty that the parent doesn't drive even better while texting or drunk with their kids in the back? Sure, I mean the empirical evidence suggests quite the opposite- but parents are special, maybe even magical- and science can't explain the special bond a drunk, texting parent intuitively has to the well-being of their child.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 AM

There is, after all, a growing consensus that a snootful of booze makes one a better driver. Given the magic knowledge-conferring powers of the uterus, it would be utterly impossible for a drunken mother to cause a car wreck.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), But (05-24-2016), ChuckF (05-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-25-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunksmediocrites
It is accepted pretend fact in your head that no parent would knowingly harm their child.
Now now Chunks. What she says was that most parents would never do anything that could harm their child. The people you describe are an entirely different class of people: irresponsible parents. These unnatural creatures were probably not hugged enough as a child, or maybe they were not breastfed properly.

It is like gun control. There are two classes of people: red-blooded, freedom-loving Americans chock full of homespun horse-sense and patriotism, and criminals. And the only way you can tell which is which is in retrospect - at which stage they never counted as members of the first group anyway.

Last edited by Vivisectus; 05-24-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-24-2016), But (05-24-2016), ChuckF (05-24-2016), chunksmediocrites (05-25-2016), Crumb (05-24-2016), Kamilah Hauptmann (05-24-2016), Stephen Maturin (05-24-2016), Stormlight (05-24-2016), The Man (05-24-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Lifestyle